ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

What countries do you love other than your own?

Leanan

And why? An unforgettable holiday? Family ties? A fascinating culture? An ideology, religion or form of government you adore? Historical reasons? Have you been in those countries? Speak the language?

I love Ireland. The music traditions, the legends, the standing stones and celtic crosses on the moors, the tradition of speaking blessings...

I also love Japan. My diet is Edo-Period Japanese (fish and vegetables, no meat). I love good manga and anime. And just think - a country where comics are the major form of entertainment!

And then I love France. Three reasons: Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité (and i'm sure I got the accents wrong...). France is where modern democracy was born.

I haven't been in any of these countries. I speak a little French, but no Japanese or Irish. (Yes I know most people speak English in Ireland but...I almost wish they didn't. history has been tough on that little country. I'm a pacifist, i don't care if Ulster/Norhthern Ireland's Ireland's, or Britain's, I just wish they'd all stop killing people for it! Land is only land.)

Sindenís

For me it's England first. I don't know, I have always been attracted to that country, it's history, it's culture, it's people, it's music, it's humor and so on. I always got along great with my English teachers because we had all that in common Grin
I've only been there once, for 5 days. But it was absolutely fantastic, I really really want to go there again, but I don't have the money. But I'm going to school next year again, maybe I'm going to study English and French, so I might go to England for 5 months.
Scotland and Ireland also attract me, for the same reasons as Leanan.

I have a love for France too, but I haven't really delved into it's culture, history etc, yet. I just really love the language.
And then there's Asia, I think my love for most Asian cultures comes from my grandmother who is Indonesian. I like Indonesia, Japan and China in particular. I love their mysticism and languages.

Alias

You got the accents almost right, Leanan; there should be another acute accent on the capital E of "égalité" ("Égalité"), but it's been only accepted recently as good form by the Académie française.

I've got family ties in France as well but i can't really say I truly love a country -- even my own. I do have, however, a great fondness for my home canton of Geneva and its surroundings (best blend of city and countryside ever!).

Historically, I also have a great interest in 10-12th century Spain, when the three religions were living together in relative harmony.

Leanan

Thanks, Alias - I learned them ten years ago in High School from my history teacher, so it's possible she wasn't up to date. Amazing, the stuff I find in the bottom murk of my memory...

je ne parle pas francais... je ne comprends rien... (first sentences I learned, not quite true anymore)

scarlettdoll

I love France. French history, culture, literature, etc. And Scotland. And Wales. I'm disappointed that i didn't meet any Scotsmen in England. I have this (undoubtedly silly) idea that if i'd met one, he'd have been really hot. :D

France-I've got French ancestry and love alot of old dead French authors. And wish I could speak it.

Scotland-a very romantic land. I love that fierce independance they've got that kept them fighting England (and each other :roll: ) for centuries.

Wales-admittedly, I wouldn't not know anything about this land if it weren't for Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh trilogy. But those books made me fall in love with it.

chocolate!

I love england, the language, the books, the people, the monuments...
But I love Ireland too because of the accents....and the religons and the Celtic I love :) Isn't Celtic also Ireland??

I love Egypt, the mummies, pyramids, secrets, wisdom.
Greek for their Wisdom

But mostly I love countries because of their language...
Franch is a beautiful language and I wish I could speak it better...I did an exam in that, and now I only now how to order a cafe au lait :?
I know a little bit about: Russian, Italian, Japanese (mostly) France, English (duh!) Spanish...
sometimes I can even translate it Grin ;)

Teejay

Holland en England are countries I want to live in. I'm goin to try and find a job in Holland and hopefully I'll end up in england.
I also love Ireland for all the reasons mentioned above, same thing with egypt, its just so mysterious.

lostshard

australia, new zeeland,

Nowth

Finland... or probably anywhere else that has lakes and huge woods but I remember Finland better than anything... don't need culture, nightlife, monuments... just somewhere I can leave the house (and have one) and be sure not to meet anybody unless we both want to... I could be happy if I knew how to survive on my own and never enter any towns again... but my imaginary lifemate would probably get bored with that... and then my teeth would fall out and I'll get lung cancer and couldn't afford doctors... ohwell... so scrap that idea too...

but, well, I don't really want to travel anywhere at the moment, just want somewhere to stay.

Still, the British isles are appealing but lately they make me think of grimey mining towns and 1984 more than stone circles and faerie castles. So I dunno. Some other time maybe.

LordDarkhan

Greece, love it love it love it, the hospitality of the people almost rivals our own south here in the states....probably more so because i was born there.....but its such a beautiful place... and i love countries with long rich histories and ancient civilizations....

ALso a big fan of Italy.. Italy mainly for its people..Out of the places i have visited I will say that Italy has the second nicest group of people, and 4th most beautiful...not to mention the GREAT shopping, and again all the ruins and monuments.

Speaking of nicest people and 2nd most beautiful people, i must include all of south africa..the people were GREAT.... just getting there it was like you had always belonged there... I just cant get over how nice they are... and how absolutely beautiful the beaches are.

Egypt.. Egypt is included on the list because I have always been fascinated with its ancient culture, and when i went there, it was like....well it was a spiritual experience for me.

Brazil, brazil joins the list as having the 3rd most beautiful people, and its one giant party...whenever u want to party, go to brazil.

and last on my list is France.. France is a world of its own for many reasons for me.. My culture comes from france in a way, a lot of my family lineage, and its a great shopping mecca. The south of france, is a great relaxation spot, st tropez, monte carlo(sorry for including monaco). I have a lot of childhood memories there, and just overall great memories of france.

Ragingmoon

Virtually any European country, especially Ireland, Scotland, and Italy. I've always loved Australia.

Bloodwake

I've always been into Germany, and Japan. I dont think I'd live in Japan, but I'd go there for vacation or something. Provided I knew the language :/

Fourleafclover

Well... I have liked most of the Americans I've met - they have been very nice people.

I would love to go to Japan.... I'd have to weld a personal translator to my hip tho'. And I would love to go to the U.K.

Arthis

Ireland, definitely Ireland!
For its countryside, its beautiful landscapes, its nights in pubs listening to traditionnal music, its night in Dingle walking under the full moon, listening to the spirits of the land, and most of all for the incredible warm kindness and friendship of its inhabitants. My wish is to finish my life in Ireland. I haven't gone in Ireland for nearly 3 years now, and it's driving me crazy (problem is I hate traveling alone, but I can't find anyone who want to/can come with me)

Oh, I love Scotland too. Been there just once, I wish I have the opportunity to go back.

Nienna

Like many others in here, Ireland is my favorite.
As a musician,the irish folk music has always sort of...spoken to me in a big big way. When I went to Dublin last year, I had all these expactations of how I thought it would be, and (just as Paris did) it exceeded my every expactation.
The pubs,the scenery,the people,the SHOPPING (drool)....
I felt so at home there, and to me, that is the major thing that determines wether I like a place or love it.
If everything turns out as planned,I'll be going there in august with my sister, and I just can't wait!
:D

Xan21

New Zealand, Ireland and Italy...

Arfurido

France. Because of the weird, funny and loving people. (And I haven't been that many places so I had to pick one ;)) And because of their eating system Grin I'm not made for heave breakkies like we have here in Norway. I would love to live in a warmer country with more daylight and a different cuisine. Like the french one. My mom's big dream is to move to Provence, and I would LOVE to go with her. The language is charming. And the red wine, coffee and croissants... yum Grin

The weirdest country I have been to is Iceland. The people seem so rude and cold at first, kinda like norwegians times 1000. You really have to crack their shells, but when you do, they are the most including, caring people ever.

Stillwater

I've only visited 2 other countries (both on my honeymoon). We went to Germany and Italy. I really fell in love with Germany. The people were so polite, the cities were so beautiful, clean and orderly. We were in Munich and Passau. I was also permanently hammered while in Germany too, since it was Oktoberfest. Damn, those steins are BIG! Warning to the lightweights: don't drink two in one sitting! You'll end up dancing on top of the table!

We also visited Venice. It was beautiful and full of history, but it was SO crowded, and I got ripped off a couple of times. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Brighteyes

I love Denmark... have been there a few times and the people there are so loving and just taking life easy..love it!

But i'm in love with Ireland.... Thanks to Nora Roberts beautiful way of writing, Ireland with all it's mystery and gourgious nature is my next goal of traveling... I can hardly wait!!!

IRELANDI Love You hehe...

Leanan

Nowth - your Finland is my Lapland. Here in the South we have people and towns and entertainment. I was born in that lonely Lapland, that magic wilderness, and I love it - but I've learned to live in a town and love it too... I'm glad someone shares my view of nature and solitude. Back when I photographed a lot, people wondered why i had so many landscape pics and so few with people in them...

Lord D - I'm curious - where are the MOST beautiful people in your opinion? Surely not USA? (sorry... :twisted: )

Mirr

Norway & Iceland, represent a kind of untouched wilderness to me, and the languages and cultures are especially interesting from a Swedish point of view due to the Viking roots.

France, because of the French cuisine and that feel their language gives. I too wish I could speak French better, but I've come to use English more and more.

Japan, secluded island with a fascinating language, and their cuisine is also most interesting, not to mention their porcelaine. Other fascinating islands are Australia and New Zealand.

I have not been to Iceland, France, Japan, Australia or New Zeealand yet though :(

Nowth

Quote:
Leanan

Nowth - your Finland is my Lapland. Here in the South we have people and towns and entertainment. I was born in that lonely Lapland, that magic wilderness, and I love it - but I've learned to live in a town and love it too... I'm glad someone shares my view of nature and solitude. Back when I photographed a lot, people wondered why i had so many landscape pics and so few with people in them...

I've been... actually, I'm not sure exactly where. In two "cottages in the wood", neither very far from Savonlinna - so it wasn't all that "Nordic", but still so pleasantly unspoiled. You could take the boat and row out on the lake and nobody would demand an "Unsupervised Vehicular Movement on Public Class B and C Bodies of Water" license...

Makes all these little human things like boolean algebra and wondering-if-I-should-see-Star-Wars and "what the heck is the difference between DVD+ and DVD-" seem so utterly irrelevant... *sigh*

I think one day I'm gonna go to Lapland to die... though I doubt I'll manage to do that but it's a nice thought

*babbles*

Leanan

Ah, Savonlinna... yes we have beauty in the Lake Saimaa district too, but there seems to be a cottage in every island... it feels crowded to me when I compare it to the land of my birth - but I know what you mean.

Summer nights full of light, swans on the lake... moon and dreams and fantasies, and all the world seems green...

Nowth

Compared to Germany, it was still like being the last human on earth..

what I liked so much about early EQ was that there were no borders, no maps, no roads... not really an environment I could survive in I guess but it was wonderful to explore it with the elves

LordDarkhan

Quote:
Leanan

Lord D - I'm curious - where are the MOST beautiful people in your opinion? Surely not USA? (sorry... :twisted: )

From what i have seen, and my experiences, definately the USA. yup

chocolate!

I think that's not fair!! In the USA there live MORE people so there are automattically MORE beautful people :oops:

Blackbird

Hmmm..I love Poland, it was so different from what I imagined.

And I haven't been there, but want to visitt Egypt soooo bad!!

LordDarkhan

Quote:
chocolate!

I think that's not fair!! In the USA there live MORE people so there are automattically MORE beautful people :oops:

Well actually it is.. because its about what I find attractive.. and in all the places i have lived or visited, it doesnt come down to a numbers issue, just what I find to be beautiful...and for me, the U.S.A has it down when it comes to its women.

nomad-human

Well there's Denmark (which I'm moving to) most of Scandinavia, Canada (pristine sub arctic wilderness). The Middle East and Asia fascinate me as well.

And of course, there is home...the United States. My big, fractious country. We may fight like cats and dogs amound ourselves...but we close ranks and protect our own as well.

Leanan

Nomad, read the topic of this thread... Wink

Magela_earth

I like other countries and might live in them someday, but I love America so much, I love what it's about, I love supporting it.....I dont' like everyone here or what they're turning into the world's stereotype for our country......but that's other country's problem if they think that's what we're all like.

I dont understand why everyone is so against America.....why is it so ludicrious that America would have beautiful people in it???????

lostshard

there are people in america now?

*snickers*

Alias

We all know at least two of them. ;)

scarlettdoll

*smacks to Shardy* If you weren't so cute, Magela would kick your butt for that! Grin

Magela--i was actually pleasantly surprised to meet alot of people in England who want to live in America, or at the very least visit. I thought we had such a bad rep that I'd have to pretend to be Canadian (tho with my accent, i doubt very much i'd have been believed) but I didn't meet any prejudices. :D We're not quite as hated as we think.

Nienna

I don't think it's the people of America that's "hated", more your goverment.
:)
*puts on flarelegged jeans,platform shoes and starts singing "Make loooove not war...lalalallalala"*

LordDarkhan

Quote:
Magela_earth

I like other countries and might live in them someday, but I love America so much, I love what it's about, I love supporting it.....I dont' like everyone here or what they're turning into the world's stereotype for our country......but that's other country's problem if they think that's what we're all like.

I dont understand why everyone is so against America.....why is it so ludicrious that America would have beautiful people in it???????

I agree with you 100% Manda.. especially about it being other countrys problems if thats how they want to stereotype or group us.....

and i know i will probably get flamed for this, but the weirdest thing is, in all my travels and my friends across the world, i hear more anti america talk on this very loving open forum, then i have anywhere else.

nomad-human

I did read the topic Leanan and I've traveled to most of them.

LordDarkhan

NO ONE UPSETS NOMAD-HUMAN.......whats goin on around here

::looking around suspicously::

nomad-human

Grin Yes, because I'm eeviill! *rubs hands together in a rather Winnowillish way*

Also Darkhan, you may need a helmet for the other statement, and a flak jacket. *hands him both*

LordDarkhan

<---accepts gifts graciously and wears them with pride, with a big ole american flag on back of my helmet

chocolate!

Quote:
Kindredsoul

Give me money and I'll be in Scotland, thank you. Real men wear KILTS!!!! :twisted:

with or without underwear?? Grin :oops:

chocolate!

ghehe....I know, they say....but hey....could ask...thought you where innocent... somewhere, I still thought that... :?
Grin

chocolate!

ghehe...really??

hmm, oh well, did know, didn;t believe it...even not when I saw...err...thingie....
Braveheart!!

stardreamer

Quote:
Kindredsoul

*points at choco*
BLASPHEMY!!!!! Grin
Real Scotsmen don't wear anything under their kilts!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

gheghe.. don't wear ANYTHING under their kilts.. :roll:
not even..
*gasp* :roll:

chocolate!

ghehe....

hmm...so THAT is what kin likes about real men....they don't have anything...

ow, I';m sorry bart...you're not a real man!! :) :?

stardreamer

well I gues I have to be a boy for life then :roll:

chocolate!

ghehe....yeah, well, in your mind you already was....
but you are a real man to me....as in Gentleman.. ;)

*singing*

stardreamer

:D Iam a perfect gentlemen.. yes Iam :D
:roll:

chocolate!

ghehe, that one yes :D ;)

Jeppe

Quote:
Kindredsoul

Give me money and I'll be in Scotland, thank you. Real men wear KILTS!!!! :twisted:

Yay! Great minds think alike! :D

Quote:
Kindredsoul

*points at choco*
BLASPHEMY!!!!! Grin
Real Scotsmen don't wear anything under their kilts!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Believe me! That's not a very good idea when you are in the city with your friends!!! :oops: Grin

scarlettdoll

Quote:
Kindredsoul

See? I knew it wasn't just me. I was hoping to meet some of those real men but alas and alack. Oh well, next time!

scarlettdoll

ok, i know i've asked many times but i suck at remembering things so tell me again, when and where? I may really be able to go.

scarlettdoll

hmmm. I'm really considering. Of course, it would all depend on what job i have at that time but i do have to go up north to visit a friend of mine. Great excuse...hmmm. *goes off to ponder*

Leanan

We-ell, every country has some stunning people, actors and so on - I was referring to the actual people on average. I confess I've never been to America but it seems to me to be the home of the ugliest, most overweight men in the world... not all of them of course, but enough.

LordDarkhan

Scarlett you are just hoping you see a scotsman stand over an air vent a la marilyn monroe....

Yeah they really dont wear anything under those kilts.. my friend sent me a montage of pictures taken just out during the day katching "things" flapping about under those kilts, mostly their were sittin down, with their legs open... someone must remind them they are going commando and they are wearing skirts.... Surprised

Leanan

I should just shut up before half the people here hate me, shouldn't I...

Jeppe

Grin aaaaw Leanan! Don't be so shy :P

Leanan

Waah! But I don't want them to hate me for saying nasty things about Americans...

Jeppe

Don't worry, they'll just say some nasty things about fins then...

Leanan

lol your spelling... fins are what you get on fish, Finns are what you get in Finland...

NightAngel

Scotland, Ireland, Egypt, Greece, Italy, New-Zealand, Australia,
Canada, Brasil, Chili.

Right now, this very moment...i should be in Scotland *tears*

scarlettdoll

Grin Finns, fins! Nope, Jeppe, we got nothing mean to say about Finns.

LordDarkhan--yeah, if men do wear skirts, they should remember the rules of etiquette that go with it. The only time that spread-leg sitting is acceptable is when you're being questioned by a roomful of cops. (and it helps if you're Sharon Stone) Grin

LordDarkhan

Quote:
scarlettdoll

LordDarkhan--yeah, if men do wear skirts, they should remember the rules of etiquette that go with it. The only time that spread-leg sitting is acceptable is when you're being questioned by a roomful of cops. (and it helps if you're Sharon Stone) Grin

when i first saw that, i thought it was the nastiest, sexiest thing ever... i kept looking back at my parents like "did u see that"

nomad-human

Darkhan, I need the helmet and flak jacket back...'cause I'm going in!

Look, America just like ANY OTHER COUNRTY OUT THERE has it's good people, it's bad people and the people in the middle somewhere. Do we make mistakes, yes we do. Do other countries make mistakes, yes they do. Do we have a president who is not very popular internationaly right now, yes we do. Do we have the same issues with an unpopular foreign policy atm? Yes we do. Have other countries out there had one or the other issues? Yes they have.

Did I vote for our current President? No I didn't. Did other Americans? Yes they did. And is making blanket statements, or wanting to make them a bad thing? Yes it is. It is no different then making racist statements about black people, Jewish people, Muslims, Asians or any other racial, or religious group out there. And it is just as offensive and hurtful to the people that those statements (or thinly vieled statements) are made about.

So as far as anti-American sentiment, or anti-Dane sentiment, or anti-Finnish sentiment, or quite frankly anti-anyone sentiment. Keep it to yourself and knock it off!

I think I'm being Board Step-mom again. Oh well...

Leanan

nomad, all I said was I have a very negative image of the OUTWARD APPEARANCE of the average American male. What has politics got to do with that?

LordDarkhan

Shes addressing all the anti american sentiment that has been on this board, so i think she just grouped your comments with other anti american comments that have been on this board.

Nomad, we will have to share the helmet and flak jacket, because I agree wtih you.

NightAngel

Hee LordDakhan, you say that America have the most beautiful people in the world (in your eyes) but have you visit countries like Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey?
*hmmmm*
=) and I assume you know I'm talking about females hehe...

And yeah, the world seems to hate the Americans but it doesn't, it's more because of Bush.And not everybody voted for this guy, half of the population was against, and I know there was a site, that hundreds Americans apologize their government to the world..nice site ;P
I can't find it..that's a pity.
But hey, if we wanna talk about politics, let's start a political thread ; )

LordDarkhan

Quote:
NightAngel

Hee LordDakhan, you say that America have the most beautiful people in the world (in your eyes) but have you visit countries like Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey?
*hmmmm*
=) and I assume you know I'm talking about females hehe...

I have been to those countries and indeed i saw MANY BEAUTIFUL women... very beautiful.....BUT for what I personally find attractive american women/men fit the bill for me. Its a matter of personal taste. I am not saying any other countries people are not attractive, as some others here have hinted, I am just saying for what I find attractive in men and women America is number 1.

and i am going to say this about Bush and im done with defending my legally elected president. I voted for the man, im proud I voted for him, and no i dont feel the need to apologize that our country elected the man according to our laws........im done with the topic now, it has been beat down into the grown........moving on

NightAngel

Quote:
LordDarkhan

I have been to those countries and indeed i saw MANY BEAUTIFUL women... very beautiful.....BUT for what I personally find attractive american women/men fit the bill for me. Its a matter of personal taste. I am not saying any other countries people are not attractive, as some others here have hinted, I am just saying for what I find attractive in men and women America is number 1.

Hm, but what is so differant to your opinion with other people then American people?
I can't seperate American women/men from, let's say Dutch women/men.
I can't see what their nationality is from the outside.

LordDarkhan

Quote:
NightAngel

[quote:4e6441ac51="LordDarkhan"]I have been to those countries and indeed i saw MANY BEAUTIFUL women... very beautiful.....BUT for what I personally find attractive american women/men fit the bill for me. Its a matter of personal taste. I am not saying any other countries people are not attractive, as some others here have hinted, I am just saying for what I find attractive in men and women America is number 1.

Hm, but what is so differant to your opinion with other people then American people?
I can't seperate American women/men from, let's say Dutch women/men.
I can't see what their nationality is from the outside.[/quote:4e6441ac51]

Its hard to put into words... with american women/men the thing about them that i find sexy is the way they carry themselves for one... from my experiences with the different peoples i have met, americans have a certain "swagger" to them that i have not seen anywhere else....and even here in teh states, the americans differ from each other...like i can go to cali, and see a severly tanned blonde, blue eyed lady, huge tits(probably fake, but that doesnt bother me), and on the east coast, the same lady would be a lot less tanned more conservative, but have that new york attitude which is equally sexy.. I think the conditions or enviornments of the different countries influence how peopel look... i will use another example...down south a lot of the black women their are thick..thick is having a shape like venus/serene williams(the tennis stars), thick thighs, big but, shapely waste line, but still fit.... we(the black community here) call that "alabama thick" even though its prominent through out most of america, but most of them come from the south.......whenever im in france or italy, i can always pick out other americans..... its just a certain look, attitude and swagger, and that is a big part of the attractiveness for me. its really hard to put into words, but with me its a physical thing, and an attitude thing that i definately notice.

NightAngel

Quote:
LordDarkhan

Its hard to put into words... with american women/men the thing about them that i find sexy is the way they carry themselves for one... from my experiences with the different peoples i have met, americans have a certain "swagger" to them that i have not seen anywhere else....and even here in teh states, the americans differ from each other...like i can go to cali, and see a severly tanned blonde, blue eyed lady, huge tits(probably fake, but that doesnt bother me), and on the east coast, the same lady would be a lot less tanned more conservative, but have that new york attitude which is equally sexy.. I think the conditions or enviornments of the different countries influence how peopel look... i will use another example...down south a lot of the black women their are thick..thick is having a shape like venus/serene williams(the tennis stars), thick thighs, big but, shapely waste line, but still fit.... we(the black community here) call that "alabama thick" even though its prominent through out most of america, but most of them come from the south.......whenever im in france or italy, i can always pick out other americans..... its just a certain look, attitude and swagger, and that is a big part of the attractiveness for me. its really hard to put into words, but with me its a physical thing, and an attitude thing that i definately notice.

I think it's interesting, because I don't feel this way, but maybe down into my heart I'm not proud on being Dutch (don't ask me why, that's hard to explain too:P) so I don't recognize this what you say.
Only the fact when I'm in another country, I can pick out Dutch people very easily as well. Yeah, hard to explain why and stuff but it's an intersting subject I think.
I had to giggle about the "problably fake tits" ;P
And yeah, it's true, American have a "swagger" attitude..I don't mean to be rude or anything like that -notice my words-, but sometimes I think that American people feel above the rest of the world, I can imagine why, it's a fact that America is the most powerfull country in the world, and inhabitants act like that ( I guess).
For example, take a look at the Indenpendance Day and the Day after Tomorrow..
It's all about America hehe..but that's explained easily, Hollywood is an American product.
Sometimes I really irritate when America plays the hero part but ah, I'm used to it and see through it ;D

Lord, have you ever been in the Netherlands? If not, are you interested to visit it our little country?*just curious*

Leanan

Well, people, I had a reason why I specified "other than your own" in the topic. This whole America/Bush issue was exactly what I wanted to avoid.

NightAngel

Soooo you also bother that Lord and I talk about people, and not about countries :P

Leanan

No that doesn't bother me since I sort of started it asking him where were the most beautiful people... :P

NightAngel

AHahaaaa busted :P
But we're finished about the politics, so don't worry girly=)

LordDarkhan

Another country that touches me in a weird way..Ireland... I stayed there two weeks... didnt care for it at all.....BUT it had some of the most beautiful scenery i had ever seen, and i am not even into scenery, so for it to affect me like that, it really had to move me.

NightAngel

Ireland..
Such a beautiful country, I never been there but I certainly wanna go there.
I heard stories about the friendly people, the beautiful landscapes, the peace, the rest...And ofcourse I love the legends they have overthere.
I love the way they speak...singing voice.

I've seen wonderful photographs ..I totally fell in love with Ireland.

Magela_earth

I agree with Nomad and Andre.....I know this subject is "put to rest" but I wasn;t here to comment. It needs to be put to rest. It's not about politics its' about BLANKET STATEMENTS that Nomad was talking about that need to STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep all the other comments i'm burning to make to myself, but I had to say that because I'm literally red in face SICK OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LordDarkhan

Quote:
NightAngel

Lord, have you ever been in the Netherlands? If not, are you interested to visit it our little country?*just curious*

Sorry i didnt answer you earlier Nightangel, i missed your question.

No i have never been. To be honest, I have never even thought about visiting the netherlands, and before I joined this board, i couldnt even tell you what countries were part of it. I am more of a real big city kind of guy....I needs lots of hustle and bustle, crowds all that.

NightAngel

Quote:
LordDarkhan

No i have never been. To be honest, I have never even thought about visiting the netherlands, and before I joined this board, i couldnt even tell you what countries were part of it. I am more of a real big city kind of guy....I needs lots of hustle and bustle, crowds all that.

*whoah*
For the first time I've "met" an American who isn't interested in seeing Amsterdam *giggles*

; )

Leanan

Blanket statements? Are you referring to something I said?

ZaritharSavageclaw

The Philippines, England, and Kenya... yep, I've been to all three and have different reasons to love them!

twinklebug

Canada! I've never even been there, but from what I hear, I want to move there.

Lee

Quote:
twinklebug

Canada! I've never even been there, but from what I hear, I want to move there.

Canada has all of the advantages of a North American country without the baggage of actually having to be the USA. :-P

Startear

Bumping an old thread in search of another...

I loved Münich, Germany. It was really nice, almost like home.

I loved India too. Loved how it gives and challenges at the same time with ruthless energy.

Hmm... I also really liked Poland. It felt like home, in a way few places ever did.

Stormcatcher

Britain, Mongolia and Japan. Especially Japan, I started studying the language when I was 15...

Elwing

I've always been a huge Anglophile...And fortunately, as I was born next door (NL) I have been able to visit Britain often and even live there for a while. I love a good Scottish brogue, ah, lovely Scottish men :-*
But nowadays, I live in Belgium, and I'm pleased about that. Belgium is an underrated country.

As for places I've been too, I have been very lucky to visit the US on 3 occasions, and I hope to return some day. I did in particular love New York, with its no BS straightforward folk. I think many Americans I've met show a spontaneous, enthusiastic openness that I sometimes miss in Western Europeans... And I loved the country, with its incredible landscapes and a sense of space that I found hard to comprehend. Once you're past airport security it is all good- but I hated the safety theatre!

In spring I visited Kyoto, Japan. I would say the most romantic place I have been to. Move over, Paris! never "got" Paris anyway- big, grey, dirty city.

And there are lots of places I think everyone should visit some time...You can't miss Rome (and they have the best looking men, methinks), Prague is lovely, Barcelona is fun... And a bit closer to home, Bruges.

As for places I would not return to and would not recommend: Luxor, Egypt. And I've always loved the ancient culture- but it turned out a very troubled visit, and I would not recommend going there as a woman alone. The country is beautiful, the monuments are amazing, but the desperation and the culture of the local people is such that they will mob you aggressively and cheat and scam you wherever you go, and if you consider going here do your homework carefully.

As for places I would love to go...Ireland, Iceland, Tierra del Fuego....And New Zealand! Well, won't make it to the last two, but I can dream :D

G0lden

I love the good ole USA, but I am very partial to California. We do have a rather diverse state. We have mountains. Mt Whitney over 14,000 ft for the highest in the lower 48 to Death Valley some 200 plus ft below sea level. The farms throughout the central valley to beautiful cities like San Francisco. I live in an area that you can go snow skiing or boarding in the morning (mind you not much snow for that now), and then turn around and waterski in the afternoon. Lake Tahoe is not even two hrs east of me, while I can get to the ocean in the west in about two hrs as well ( depending on traffic).

Our population closely mirrors Canada's. Canada has about 36 million and we have about 38 million. Other states take our jobs, but hate the Californians that move there to keep their jobs. So it all is rather symmetrical so to speak. I have visited Oregon, loved it, and Texas, (sorry Texas, but you can keep it). If I had to live any where else it would be on the west coast. Oregon or Washington. all three places have earthquakes so I would feel right at home.

Now places I would like to see Canada for starters the people are great and quite friendly. Then I would follow up with New Zealand, (which I hear is much like California is general size and earthquakes, volcanoes, mountains. Yes California has volcanoes. Mamoth Lakes area has tremblers from volcanic activity). Then there is Australia, Sidney would be a really cool place to visit. Then toss in England, Scotland, and Ireland. Of Europe it would be France, Germany and the Netherlands.

There are other places that would be nice to see. Japan would be one, and maybe Chile.

RedheadEmber

I'm not even sure I love my own country. Sure, I like it and I wouldn't ever want to live somewhere else but do I love it? Not sure...

As for countries I'd like to visit for a shorter period of time:

New Zealand. Definitely New Zealand! Let me just say it's got something to do with some movie trilogies being filmed there.

Certain places in Belgium and the Netherlands. However, it would have to be on some very specific days, when the roads would be rather totally crowded, which isn't really my favourite thing.

Greenland. Family history.

Prince Edward Island.

Rome. Would have to be outside the main season, partly because of the crowd, partly because of the heat.

Also it could be rather interesting to go on a tour in the USA following - as much as possible - the trails of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

G0lden

If you get to the US Ember, come out west. We would love to show you around.

GreyGirl

I love my home country, England; but I am also very fond of Barbados (such beautiful scenery! Such lovely people! Such yummy food!), and arabic Middle East (such beautiful scenery! Such lovely people! Such yummy food! - there's a theme here...)

I have many relatives and friends who lived in/are from Egypt, Lebanon, Syria and Palestine. I would love to travel around Libya, Iran, Iraq and the others... although obviously not at present times. I would love to see the ancient cities in those countries. But I suppose that until World Peace decides to break out I shall have to settle for the Bajan beaches!