ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Fictional characters you identify with?

Leanan

There is a topic like this on the EQfanart forum, I thought to steal the good idea...

What fictional characters have you identified with? Characters from books or comics, (other than ElfQuest because ww've discussed that so much already) or movies, or computer games or any other fiction that has characters...

When I was younger I found myself in books easier. I was 'Emily of New Moon' by L.M Montgomery, I was Jo from 'Little Women'. I was the dreamy writer girl, but also the responsible, self-sacrificing elder sister...

I was 16 when I read 'Mort' by Terry Pratchett... I saw a caricature of myself in Ysabell...

I identify with many Tolkien characters, but first and foremost I am Eowyn... I was dissapointed for the ending she got... she deserved better... she was a warrior born...
I like the line they gave her in the movie:
"What do you fear?"
"A cage."
Because that's the only thing I'm afraid of. Captivity.

I've just re-read 'The Wizard of Earthsea'...

I see myself in Sparrowhawk. It's frightening how much I have in common with him. The silent one, the one with hidden pride... the ambitious one admired and envied by his less talented comrades...

Spoiler in tiny print just in case someone hasn't read this book:
...when one falls from a high place one hits the ground quite hard... and he was ill and had to study with boys younger than him... he tried to escape his shadow, the he tried to fight it, but he only became whole when he named it with his own name and it became a part of him... that's like me and my illness. And the way he went to deal with the dragon just to get it over and done with... that's the kind of decision I do all the time...

Skywise2

Piro of the webcomic MegaTokyo. He's a very careful and gentle guy, and his intention is always to be as nice as possible. He looks out for his friends and gets them out of trouble, but not so much for himself. He also has very low confidence, which I also identify with. Only difference is, he gets a lot of girls, I don't. :P

Leanan

Hey, I used to read that comic... Piro is cute.

lunakat

You guys probably never read much Milan Kundera... but I always felt akin to Sabina.

Skywise2

Quote:
Leanan

Hey, I used to read that comic... Piro is cute.

Okay, so two differences then.

Leanan

nooo! *hugs Skywise* you're cute too! :P

lunakat

Isn't he just though?

*Ruffles cute little head!*

On second thought...
*Gives powerful 'noogie' to cute Skywise!*

Skywise2

:oops:

PanzerKitten

I used to read MegaTokyo too! but I hadn't internet this summer so I've missed too much.
I have to think about this with characters. there are so many..

lunakat

Okay- I've got one you guys know.

Strangers in paradise- katina choovanski!

Yngvar

I've learned that it is possible to strongly identify with a fictional character and not really know it. I was following the Danish series "Krøniken", or "The Chronicle". Another soap opera, I thought, but the Danes have a good track record with their series, so I followed this one.

People who haven't watched the second season yet should skip this, as I understand that the DVD box set doesn't include it.

A central character was Erik, son of the CEO of a huge radio corporation at the dawn of the television age. A lot was focused on his attempts to convince his dad to move to this new thing called TV, and then him starting up his own company himself when he couldn't. Of character, he was brash, pretty hyperactive, always running headstrong into things, and having real trouble with human relationships, but with a great mind, and always motivated by his desire to gain acceptance by his dad. And everything he did failed, in no small part because his dad kept poking sticks in his wheels.

In the last season closer, after his second company went bankrupt, he committed suicide. It hit me like a sledgehammer. I hadn't realized how much I identified with him before, but I went to bed crying.

Seems like the series won't continue until 2006, though.

It didn't help that the acting was superb.

Zebula77

Hmm, I can identify with lots of fictional characters - Redlance and Skywise from EQ, Xander and Willow from Buffy, Peter Parker and Death from the Sandman graphic novels.

There are more, but I can't think of any right now, heh.

scarlettdoll

Quote:
lunakat

Okay- I've got one you guys know.

Strangers in paradise- katina choovanski!

I saw this series for the 1st time at work the other day but we've got bk 2 and 3 but not 1. (natch) But i did see the girl who was your av and of course, thought of you.

Arthis

When I was a young boy, I identified strongly with Orko, from He-MAn the Masters of the Universe... Lost in a universe that is not his own, misunderstood by everyone including his friends...

Willow Rosenberg for the Buffyverse is a very good parallele.
Esp Willow from the begining, lack of confidence and all...

Books characters... no, I can't think of any identification, sorry.

Zebula77

I love Orko! :D

krwordgazer

This has taken some thought. These are the main characters I have identified throughout my life, starting with childhood.

First, I identify with the little boy in "The Red Balloon." A story about a boy who has a magic inner life where a balloon comes to life, and the other children pick on him for it. That's what childhood was like for me.

Second, I identify with Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter books. I, too, was a know-it-all in school, with my hand always in the air to answer a teacher's question, and full of idealistic fire. That's what I was like in my younger years.

Now, I identify with Harriet Vane in the Lord Peter Wimsey novels. The quiet, intense writer who falls in love with a brilliant, very sensitive, slightly eccentric detective. That would be my husband (grin), though he's only like Peter Wimsey on the inside.

scarlettdoll

I had to write a paper in my "anti-white-men" class in college about a similar topic and to my teacher's horror, I wrote how fairy tales really shaped my world view as a kid. Grin

Growing up, I'm not sure if I really identified with or just admired so very much but my very favorite characters were Maria on the Sound of Music and Ms. Brisby on the Secret of Nimh.

They were who I wanted to be/maybe was? (the ole memory ain't what she used to be)

Mothers and women who were afraid of everything (as i watch these movies as an adult, I see just how scared they were all the time) but because of love (though Maria needed a little helpful prodding as I so often do) they were able to move through the fear to do what needed to be done. Because they loved so completely, they were willing to sacrifice everything even though they were full of fear.

That's what really sticks out to me. I'm sure there were a great many others and I'll give it more thought but this is what is highlighted in my brain.

Nowth

I suppose as a child I have to some extent identified with the required "timid, helpful girl" and "brains-over-brawns boy" characters in Enid Blyton's and similar stories, but not really all that deeply. I'd be one of those reluctant supporter types who'd rather not ambush the burglars. (Annika in Pippi Longstocking, for example - although half-longing to be the amazing wild super-girl instead.)

Then there was a variety of "gifted outcast" or "strange and misunderstood" characters but they all turned out to be braver, more glamourous and more skilled than I could ever be. You could say they were fulfilling a destiny I missed out on. Alan Dean Foster's "Flinx" is such a character, a contemplative telepathic orphan with an acid-spitting flying snake friend who befriends dream-bound alien "bears" and is rewarded with a powerful spaceship to roam the galaxy at will, hunted by those who seek to control his powers. How not like me.

When I read The Mists of Avalon I did identify with Morgaine (though I'm sure it was in part because she was the point-of-view character), critical, ironical, almost always on the outside, wrestling with regret, shame, anger and deep longing, unhappy with what "society" said she ought to be ("ugly like a fairy!")... I sometimes feel like I too will not find peace until everything is over and the world has forgotten me and everything that mattered to me

The most identification I had with the unnamed protagonists of Tanith Lee's "Drinking Sapphire Wine" - another wry, poetic loner, too idealistic, too passionate, too discontent for the insubstantial garish plastic silliness of her/his "friends" ("his" during the first part, "her" during the second -- in this future, bodies are changed pretty much at will until you're declared an adult and have to settle down). It was one of the most beautiful books I ever read, and it even had a happy ending ;)

Also, the Last Unicorn... in a small humble way. She's what is beautiful and pure about me, and Schmendrick - he's the inept wizard who Knows Stuff but hasn't really figured out yet what magic actually is.

But the vast majority of stories do not have characters I could identify with. My strengths are not that apparent to me and my weaknesses are too awkward to make for characters I'd like. And I don't dare identify with characters I dislike.

Elaisa

fictional chars I Identefy with:

aspen- from comic fathom
piper-charmed
willow-buffy
rikku-final fantasy X and X-2
drusilla- buffy
:roll: uhm think oki now the weirder once (theze are guys but explenation will follow

pyro- Xmen (because of the fire power, slight obsession with fire)
haplo- death gate series books by Weis and Hickmann (because of the way he thinks I can relate to that.

and thats about it for those i can think of fast

oh wait and of course Elaisa but that myown fictional rp char ;)

LilliuminterSpinas

Characters wich I think I relate with

Irma - W.I.T.C.H
Paige - charmed
Paine - final fantasy x and x2
( all three of them for their "slight" hang towards sarcasm )

well and now keep it elfquest wise to wich eq character I relate the most.........
my friends like to compare me to Nightfall or Skyfire. And I think their kind of right :)

nomad-human

I always identified with Faith from Buffy. To sort of gravitate to the darkness in life, to feel more comfortable there than in the light. Difference is that when my friends seek me out in the dark, I always let them bring me back. I guess Faith and I are different that way. We both also have difficult pasts that sometimes get in our way a lot.

I also identify with Eowyn in Lord of the Rings. I know what is is to feel like you have to prove yourself day after day so that you can be seen as competant and strong, to hunger after that respect. Every time I see her on the big screen or in print I think "That's me!"

Lastly is Anakin Skywalker form Star Wars. Who wouldn't sacrafice everything they know and have to save their loved ones. His loyalty and devotion to that is something I admire and fear in myself. Because we both can go too far in the protection of our loved ones.

Kathleen

I kind of identified with Marrow from the X-Men. I think my mom sometimes makes me feel like I'm sure Storm makes her feel.

I identify with Vaya too.

Magela_earth

Nowth - I love your taste in books :D.

I identified BIG TIME with Daine from Tamora Pierce's The Immortals quartet. Infact, it's more like she's exactly like me but with a few mistakes. Pierce even gave her my habbits somehow, the chewin of the thumb only, not fingernails and not all of them. She has my indifference, easy dismissal, extreme love for animals in preference over humans. Many many many many things that are the same between this fictional character and me. (and her predecessor, Alanna....mostly with her need to prove herself in that mighty way, and live a certain kind of life, ignoring stereotypes and escaping a molded life)

I think I kind of related with Harriet the Spy too. Curious to observe and learn that way...somewhat accepted, but easily outcast with a few precious friends. I didn't relate to her relationship with her parents though.

If you read a lot of Nora Roberts you know that she has her staple characters, and usually three of them. I almost always identify with her "rough tough" girl character, except when she sometimes uncharacteristically breaks down and turns into a mush ball. I can fall in love and have emotions, but i dont' turn into the stereotypical screaming girl teenager when that happens.

I also related STRONGLY with her character Nell from The Three Sisters Island trilogy....BUT, only when she was dealing with getting over her abuse, who Nell turned out to be definately wasn't me. But the still healing Nell, it was like she jumped right out of my head.....after that I was all Ripley man, those similarities were insane as well...I even thought about being a cop for a while because of it.

Darlene from Roseanne. Only i can sometimes bite my tongue when that rude and blatantly truthful, or purposefully hurtfull retort comes to mind.

wow, I didn't think I related to this many characters in particular. I know I get really into my books....but dang.

NightAngel

I've been thinking, and I came to the conclusion that I don't identify with anyone.

That's weird (to my opinion).
Wonder what that means.

MrsGrizzley

I don't know that I really identify with characters in books or stories or whatnot.

I don't read along happily until I shout with glee "That's me!".

When I read, the story is an independant world that I can watch from the pages of a book and the characters are people in that world that I can watch but cannot touch. And oh, sometimes I desperately want to touch. I want to wrap my hands around some throats and throttle the life out of them until they see just how blind they are, just how much they have become their enemy, just how stupid the conflict is. Or I want to sit and talk with them, just experience their world for a while in a way more solid and real than simply watching them through the window of my imagination.

I'm not even sure that I can see aspects of myself in any of the stories I read or watch or play. I see aspects of who I wish I was (and for the record, Paine wasn't in FFX, she was only in flashbacks to that time period shown in FFX-2), and I can sometimes see characteristics that I like and so morph into characters of my own creation. But I don't see me. I don't really even go looking for me.

I wish I was the princess. I wish I was the one who sits in the heart and soul of a group, the one they would fight to protect. I wish I was worth that much effort to protect.

I wish I was the Summoner, with my Guardians around me.

I wish that I was Leetah, and Death fled from my touch.

I wish that I was Rainsong, with cubs to hold and love and push behind me to protect.

I wish that I was HalfElven, and could walk the worlds I can only see, but not touch.

I wish that I was Moonshade, and could show my lifemate through Sending just how much I love him.

Of all of them, Moonshade comes closest to being "me" in her unquestioning acceptance of all that Strongbow is and does. But she's not me. She knows who she really is. I don't know that I will ever know. We become the masks we wear and I spent too many years changing myself to fit those around me.

Mrs. Grizzley

Magela_earth

ahhh, the mention of Strongbow gave me shivvers.

*shivvers*

That's all very interesting Mrs. Grizzley. Food for thought.

I'm always in the stories I read...even if I'm invisible and just tagging along...or if I'm the main character, and I feel all the emotions that he/she is supposed to be feeling, or a companion. I'm right in there, I can hear the sounds see everything around me. No gaps that the author forgot to explain. The only thing is that faces are kinda fuzzy to me...but other than that....i'm RIGHT in there. I've had people scare the bejesus out of me because I was so engrossed in a story. haha.

That comment about the masks we wear. For so long I was who someone told me to be....and I really feel that I stopped faking, stopped not saying what I wanted to say, etc., etc. But I often wonder if we are utterly incapable of truly letting our pretenses down and being us.

MrsGrizzley

Oh, I'm in the stories. I'm right in the middle of a companion fanfic running through my head where I'm standing alongside the characters, and sometimes slapping sense into them. I've gotten some good story ideas from stuff I've invented for the companion pieces.

I'm Harry's twin sister, the one he'd never known about because *her* godfather was Dumbledore. But I'm probably never going to write that fanfic, or if I do, then Heather Potter will probably be some other Dreamsail daughter who wandered into his world and asked Lily if she could share space with her son.

Most of the time, though, I send HalfElven in where I cannot go and she knocks heads together for me.

I learned early on to not make decisions about anything. The adults around me already knew the way they wanted me to decide, so if I just simply did nothing then they would do whatever it is they wanted me to do in the first place and I wouldn't run the risk of making a wrong choice. I never chose anything until the night I faced the panic attacks and chose Christ. Even then it was years before I was able to make the second choice of my life in marrying my husband.

The problem comes in that alot of people don't even realize that they aren't really choosing anything in their lives, that they are simply living up or down to expectations that do not even give them room to breathe. I spent my life in a daze before I found Hubbybear. How many more people never break free of that daze?

Mrs. Grizzley

Nowth

Quote:
Magela_earth

Nowth - I love your taste in books :D.

Thanks!

(Darlene? Rings a bell. I think I used to like Roseanne. So long ago..)

NightAngel

Quote:
MrsGrizzley

I don't know that I really identify with characters in books or stories or whatnot.

I don't read along happily until I shout with glee "That's me!".

Same here.

There are only characters I'd like/wish to be, or characters I want them to be my mother for example, but I've never identified myself with a fictional person.
Not even Elfquest.
They are all TOO perfect for me.
Hm, well..Trinket comes close :roll:

Kathleen

I'm most like Simon from Firefly. Except for his politeness. I have a filthy mouth!

But I'd have done the same if it were my sister.

Magela_earth

Quote:
MrsGrizzley

The problem comes in that alot of people don't even realize that they aren't really choosing anything in their lives, that they are simply living up or down to expectations that do not even give them room to breathe. I spent my life in a daze before I found Hubbybear. How many more people never break free of that daze?

Mrs. Grizzley

Ya, I remember finding myself and growing into who I was when I was 18 and 19 because I hadn't been living my own life during the essential years of growing up and molding. During that time I was most me when I was reading and i lived in my head a lot....but I dont' think it was a bad thing ( I dont' know if you were referring to it as...I dont' think you were, but I just thought I'd broach this side of it as well) I think it helped me stay sane through that time....maybe why i'm losing it a little now, because I never calm down enough to pick up a book anymore. Do you think that being that into books can alter the way you live your life that drastically??? is it was seperates "book worms" from the rest of the world??? I like to think that I can be obsessed, immersed in my books and still have a full and exciting life. I hope I can.

krwordgazer

I don't think Mrs. Grizzley was referring to the "daze" of bookwormishness, Magela, but to the "daze" of living, not your own life, but the life others expect you to live. At least, that's the way I read her post.

When you feel you have to think as others tell you is the right way to think, act as others tell you is the right way to act, and never question any of it, you can never truly be yourself or view reality through your own eyes. The only escape, sometimes, is through the world of books. And even that can be problematic, as there are certain books "they" don't think you should read.

I used to live like that, too. Till I decided to start questioning everything I'd been spoon-fed and see how it stood up to the questions. And when it came to that, all my reading gave me perspective to help me find answers. :)

Magela_earth

oooh, i see. i thought she was segueing (sp?) from bookwormishness to unhealthy living and connecting them. silly me. Nevermind, ghehe. I guess my post just says what hers already did (and I missed) ghaha.

thanks boardmom

lunakat

I watched Harry Potter recently on TV and realized...

as a young girl, I would have thoroughly identified with Hermione!

(When I was a teenager, I read "Jane Eyre." I liked it very much then. I identifed with Jane because she was practical. Even in love, she exhibited a great deal of common sense! And I liked how she bantered with Rochester!)

You know, I think I started off old as kid and got younger and more relaxed as I grew up! Funny that. Wink

Leanan

I seldom identify with main characters these days... Frodo is one exeption, Sparrowhawk another... a protagonist has to be very special to remind me of myself...

No, I'm little Ginny Weasley in second year with a cute and hopeless crush on Harry...

I'm Eowyn, facing my enemy and destroying him and falling down and being mourned for dead, yet surviving...

I'm Ysabell alone in the library of lives, reading...

Nowth

Ysabell is cool.

That's funny, I can relate to many Pratchett characters: Magrat, Mort, even Rincewind unfortunately.

Leanan

Yes, she is. And she has white hair. White hair seems to be a weakness of mine... at least, white hair not caused by old age...

I'm more Agnes Nitt than Magrat... (there's this other person inside me and her name is Leanan...) oh, and I kind of like Rincewind. :oops:

Nowth

I'm more Magrat - Agnes has actual skills... Magrat is frustrated because whatever she tries is futile, usually, and I bet she knows it, too. And she thinks elves are nice.

And of course Mort, the boy nobody wanted for an apprentice...

And Rincewind, well, I just identify with losers everywhere. (Don't say you haven't noticed...)

Leanan

Magrat has skills too. I had to love her in Lords and Ladies, when she went all warrior-queen... and she's the only witch who knows real medicine in Lancre...

Nowth

True... and she did a good job on that cell door...

But Agnes is just, you know, utterly lucid - bright, aware, like Pratchett's heroes tend to be. It's other people who attempt to relegate her to the background. Magrat is more of a new age/wicca bashing... some of the time anyway.

Leanan

Magrat may have started out as bashing, but at some point she got some real depth like Pratchett's "heroes" tend to have...

Agnes is someone who is bored with hearing compliments only about her hair... someone in two minds about everything... although maybe I'm more like that priest fellow she kind of had a crush with, Mightily Oats... poor confused man...

MrsGrizzley

*sigh* I need to get my hands on some new books.

I haven't the foggiest idea what you guys are talking about with this "Pratchett" fellow.

Frodo I know. Sparrowhawk I know. (I also know Sparhawk, but he's from a completely different series.)

As for Potter characters . . . Hermione might have been a younger version of me at one point, but she was too self-defensive. She could defend herself. And she didn't read fantasy or she'd have clued into *alot* of things much quicker. Goodness knows I would have. I just wouldn't have said anything about it. Ever.

And I had the Ginny Weasly style crush on an older classmate. *sigh* And ended up with a massive complex when he said that I made a better friend than girlfriend. Became convinced that I wasn't worth loving. *sigh* Not that I'd tell him about that. He was trying to handle a kid's crush gently. He had no way of knowing just how fragile I really was.

Of course, that was in high school, when I was the freshman and he was the senior. (But by years, I should have been a sophmore. I got held back in fifth grade.)

The more I try to explain, the more complicated this gets. *sigh*

Mrs. Grizzley

Leanan

I definitely recommend Pratchett to anyone who enjoys good fantasy and/or good humour...

lostshard

yup

currently i am reading 'interesting times'...hee! the part with the wizards maskerading as beautiful native women...hilarious...

Leanan

Hey, i had forgotten that bit! I ought to read the book once again...

NightAngel

I have three books of Discworld:
Equal rites, The light fantastic and The last continent (in Dutch)

The Dutch I never read, and the english ones, well, I don't understand it..I can't follow the stories because a lot of words I don't know.

lostshard

But it's so easy to read, much easier then dutch i think....and Terry Pratchet has the uncanny habbit of reading the reader's mind... he always seems to know what you are thinking about one of his word jokes, and writes the exact sentence in the book...so weird......i love his way of writing...so great...

also i didn't know 'the last continent' was released in dutch

NightAngel

Haha it's a stupid thing, I was in a Bruna store and bumped onto that dutch book..I thought, hey, seems like a cool fantasy book..(i didn't really notice the writers name)
When I got home and looked at it more carefully I found it was the same as Discworld :roll:

The last continent = Het jongste werelddeel.

Maybe I have to try reading again.

lostshard

yea you are missing out on it....it just takes some time to get used to his writing...

see what i mean?...they can't even translate the title correctly

it should be , het laatste continent'....that's why i never read translated books....awfull dutch translators

Leanan

Hmm, I wouldn't like to be a Pratchett translator. So much of the jokes are based on language.

(Actually, I tried to translate Pratchett once. The short story 'Theatre of Cruelty' for the l-space website... I gave up. Too difficult for a perfectionist like me.)

NightAngel

Yes you're right, it should be "Het laatste continent"

Do you have all the books?

lostshard

not all...i will have them all someday....now i've got just the 21 books...

callidora

Hmmm...who do I identify with? Depends on my mood, really:

Kohaku -- when I'm feeling ditzy and overly-sweet

Koryu -- when I'm feeling mischevious and a little naughty

Hisui -- when I'm feeling all wise and wordy

Like I said...pretty much based on my moods...

Kathleen

SInce Pratchett is a punster, I think it would be cruel and unusual punishment to force someone to translate his books. Wink

Leanan

And yet, they are being translated into many languages...

PCoquelin

And considering how difficult the French language is, I can tell you they're very well translated into French, however...

Why, there's a scene in "Les zinzins d'Olive-Oued", involving 1000 elephants and ice trolls, that really had me :

Kathleen

Quote:
Leanan

And yet, they are being translated into many languages...

I was making a sort of bad pun there, Leanan. :)

Leanan

*slaps forehead*

D'oh..

Kathleen

My bad. I wouldn't understand a Finnish pun anyhow.(you're finnish, right?)

Leanan

Yes, I'm Finnish...

I'm sooo lousy at reading puns... I didn't get one of Richard's either, and tried to explain it to Xeno anyway, and used all the right words, and still didn't get it :P

RedheadEmber

When I was younger it was Anne og Green gables by L. M. Montgommery!

I'm called Anne! I've red hair! and I've got quite a imagination! So... Grin

Trollbabe

Tintin of the graphic novel series. In non-graphic literature, probably the Patchwork Girl of Oz.

Startear

Hmm... I identify with Toph from Avatar The Last Airbender. And with Donna from Doctor Who.