ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Did I really just see that?

RichardPini

Leno does it, the National Lampoon used to to it, even Elfquest used to do it, and so I thought, why not here? The world is full of newspaper articles, ads, signs, movie marquees, etc. that contain delightful typos and other unintended meanings. How's about posting examples here - with a twist: Can you find Elfquest related items of interest? As I said, in the old EQ comics, I'd print photos of "...elf service" gas stations, or the thruway exit sign for "Hunter" and "Tannersville" (who else but Strongbow and Moonshade, eh?).

I'll start with a couple.

Had dinner with an old college friend the other night at our favorite pizza restaurant, and tucked in with the check was a flyer for a catering service. The following jumped out at me:

Does that mean that at 6-foot-2, I can be had for $92.50 (plus tax)? Gee, I would've hoped for at least a c-note!

And then, on the Garden State Parkway, I saw the following and almost drove off the road looking for very large hawks...

Your turn!

Leanan

We had a topic or two like this before... at least one of those topics went totally off-topic and became a fanfic, but before that these were posted:

Quote:
dartfan

Its just weird the things you see when you're travelling...

On a recent trip to Melbourne (Australia), I noticed this cafe....

And this beverage was largely to blame for the fanfic... and we didn't even drink any! Grin

twinklebug

Grin There's a range of Blue Mountains here in Oregon, and lots of businesses and other public places named after them!

Nowth

What are these "heroes" supposed to be?

krwordgazer

A "hero," as used there, Nowth, is a kind of sandwich. :)

The only thing I can think of is once at the grocery store. I was standing in line, waiting to check out my purchases. Someone in front of me must have decided he or she didn't want a carton of milk or something, because the checker got on the intercom and said, "Dairy, I have a perishable Go-Back on 11."

And of course, my mind said, "of course Go-Backs are perishable-- they seem to like to perish!" Grin

Nowth

Oh. I was thinking of Super Mario Bros. for some reason.

Barb

Either things are tough or he just wanted to diversify.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Kathleen

Hi Barb! Nice ta meetcha!

Hmm...

I'm guessing they've kidnapped him.

PanzerKitten

The only thing I can remember right now is when I saw a bottle of Strongbow. and it's already been mentioned.. Not very exciting of me, eh? :P

Skywise2

Only thing I have seen wasn't coincidental. I discovered some time ago that all the servers for the (rather big) university in my town are named after EQ characters..

NightAngel

So who's gonna make a picture of a glass of Strongbow to put it overhere? 8)

RichardPini

Another genre of EQ images is that of the tattoo. Often I get email requests from people asking if it's OK to use an Elfquest image as a tattoo, and the answer is always "yes" - I'm hardly concerned about copyright issues because I think it highly unlikely someone's going to clone patches of their skin for sale on eBay!

At any rate, here's one I received in email a while ago. Alas, I have misplaced the sender's actual letter; the file is named "Elisa's Tattoo" so if Elisa is out there, please let me know so I can give proper credit.

Foxeye

OK, here's one thing I've always wanted to ask Wendy. Maybe you have some knowledge about this Richard. Out here in Marin County, very close to where I understand Wendy grew up, there is a Mountain Tamalpais, more popularly known as Mt. Tam. It looms over just about everything up here, you can't avoid feeling it's shadow.

Is there any connection between Mt. Tam and the soulname of cutter?

Oh, and in Larkspur in Marin County there's a Festival of Food and Flower that has been going on for a very long time that happens the same week as the Festival of Flood and Flower in the EQ holiday calendar.

Could be coincidence, because obviously springtime is when everyone things of flowers and new growth and wants to celebrate it, but Marin county is just a hop-skip-and-jump across the golden gate from San Francisco.

Things that make me go "hmmmmm".

CrossBlade

hey, I have my EQ tattoos. for those that havent seen them here they are.

the wolf is a drawing from one of the back pages of one of the original oversized comics(Ill have to go through them to figure out which one)

and this is Timmain from the end of the Original Quest when she first transforms. its very special to me cause it represents "Mother" to me and is for my mother.

I have plans for at least 3 mor EQ tattoos but thats all for now. hope everyone(expcially Richard and Wendy, lol) likes them.

RichardPini

Quote:
Foxeye

OK, here's one thing I've always wanted to ask Wendy. Maybe you have some knowledge about this Richard. Out here in Marin County, very close to where I understand Wendy grew up, there is a Mountain Tamalpais, more popularly known as Mt. Tam. It looms over just about everything up here, you can't avoid feeling its shadow.

Is there any connection between Mt. Tam and the soulname of cutter?

Nope. The name "Tam" came from the legend of "Tam Lin."

Quote:
Foxeye

Oh, and in Larkspur in Marin County there's a Festival of Food and Flower that has been going on for a very long time that happens the same week as the Festival of Flood and Flower in the EQ holiday calendar.

Could be coincidence, because obviously springtime is when everyone things of flowers and new growth and wants to celebrate it, but Marin county is just a hop-skip-and-jump across the golden gate from San Francisco.

Things that make me go "hmmmmm".

Heh. Understandable, but again, I'd be willing to bet there's no connection. Flooding and flowering is, of course, a well-known desert phenomenon. The "food and flower" theme makes sense at an agricultural fair (Google turned up a ton of such references) and I note that the fair you refer to actually appears to be called the "Larkspur Flower and Food Festival" - the two important words are reversed.

Foxeye

Bah. I liked my version better. Grin

Leanan

Quote:
RichardPini

Ah-ha! Grin I remember a panel in the 'Books of Magic' comics where Titania calls Tamlin (spelled like that in the comic) 'Tam' - and here I was thinking it was just a funny coincidence!

twinklebug

Quote:
Barb

Either things are tough or he just wanted to diversify.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Grin Apparently, he has his own brand of bug spray, too! He's one busy elf!

rholt

I bought some bug repellant because it says Cutter:

redshine

Grin

Fairlight

Quote:
RichardPini

Also, Tam is one of the River Thames' two main tributies (the other is the Isis... the etymology goes thus: Tam and Isis, Tameses, Thames...)

Tam is also hebrew for "idiot" or "simpleton." If Skywise was Jewish, Cutter would never have heard the end of it.

Tam the lame was also the anglicisation of Timur, a Mongolian king (Tamburlaine, in Marlowe's telling.)

Rob Beschizza

RichardPini

Quote:
Fairlight

Tam is also hebrew for "idiot" or "simpleton." If Skywise was Jewish, Cutter would never have heard the end of it.

Really makes one wonder about these, then!

Zebula77

Umm, 'Jewish Cooking for Dummies'? Grin

RichardPini

Submitted by Tatiana Barfod, found on a high school wall in Denmark...

NightAngel

Found on a Dutch garage door ; )
(and the father of the artist really looks like RP, NO JOKE!!!)

RichardPini

Quote:
NightAngel

That poor man! Wink

NightAngel

Pfff yes indeed! Surprised

Hehe!

cactus

The Blue Mountain coffee....

NightAngel

C'est jolie! :D

Stillwater

I know this isn't EQ related, but for all you Harry Potter fans out there, I always thought it was interesting that Sirius satellite radio's logo was a dog...

xenophile80

I had to get a new cell phone today (*grumble*grumble*Alltel) and noticed that there is Blue Mountain wallpaper. Interesting....

Nakadah

Tam Brazilian Airlines!!

I also once a saw a bar in Boston that was called "The Tam".

Emma

Mynx

Quote:
NightAngel

That is amazing!

::ponders the cover of Starblaze Book 4 for her own garage door::

lunakat

Quote:
RichardPini

You know, I always wondered if there was a deliberate connection to that story...

Arthis

Quote:
Stillwater

I know this isn't EQ related, but for all you Harry Potter fans out there, I always thought it was interesting that Sirius satellite radio's logo was a dog...

Actually, Sirius (Alpha Canis Majoris) is the main star in the dog constellation; the etymology and meaning of the name is uncertain. Sirius is also called the Dog Star by virtue of the name of the constellation in which it lies. Other name for Sirius is Canicula - which is Latin and means "The Little Dog"

so it makes sence...

Jeppe

Quote:
RichardPini

Submitted by Tatiana Barfod, found on a high school wall in Denmark...

Tatiana Barfod??? Weird... But then again, the Barfod family is quite alternative...

rholt

Here's one:

I have been laughing at this for a long time, found this thread, and finally took a picture!

Nowth

I know someone called Zhen-Zhen... I don't think a picture would be relevant... but it's like the coolest name ever

Fairlight

Quote:
RichardPini

[quote:f2f640b16e="Fairlight"]Tam is also hebrew for "idiot" or "simpleton." If Skywise was Jewish, Cutter would never have heard the end of it.

Really makes one wonder about these, then!

[/quote:f2f640b16e]

I asked someone who would know, and it turns out that Tam's literal meaning is "a simple thing," implying, in a personal context, nnocence and forthright, guileless behavior. This transposed to "simpleton" due to Haggadah traditions, where a Tam character would be portrayed with dunce caps and the like.

The original meaning, however, is apt!

Thallasia

Quote:
Fairlight

I asked someone who would know, and it turns out that Tam's literal meaning is "a simple thing," implying, in a personal context, nnocence and forthright, guileless behavior. This transposed to "simpleton" due to Haggadah traditions, where a Tam character would be portrayed with dunce caps and the like.

The original meaning, however, is apt!

If my memory served me right Cutter once said (or yelled) " I AM THAT SIMPLE". Lining up pretty nicely, dontha think Wink

Flametwister

Quote:
rholt

Here's one:

I have been laughing at this for a long time, found this thread, and finally took a picture!

I'm goin' there! My best friend has been trying to convert me to TKD for years... I'll have to tell him that I've finally found a school :)

rholt

Where are you Flametwister? NW USA? That would be so cool to have another fan up here, but I guess you are joking...

rholt

Well this may or may not belong in this topic, but when I saw it I thought of this forum, so I think that's good enough. :D

Here ya go Zeb, it didn't need any tweaking, it's very small to start with.

Mynx

That's a good one, rholt! Grin

Zebula77

Woah! Somebody's stolen my nick!!!

Either that or it's just from when I was just Stateside. Grin

Mynx

You were Stateside? And you didn't come to visit me? Unhappy

Zebula77

Hehe, I'm sorry. I was just teasing. I've never actually been Stateside. Well, except in dreams, that is. Grin

rholt

hee hee, I hope we give you good dreams :D

Zebula77

Umm, well. Let's just say I can't talk about them here...

Mynx

Wink

They must be good dreams then!

rholt

We should migrate over to you know what topic, I think we may be spamming this one :twisted:

Zebula77

:twisted:

...and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

edit: yeah, we are spamming. But - if we started saying certain things here, people would definitely be like, 'did I really see that?!?' Grin

Mynx

LOL! So true... just the same... :arrow: let's not spam elf-pop's topic anymore. Grin

(We're being disrepectful Wink )

Zebula77

We are being bad, aren't we? :twisted:

Ok. *moving it over to the umm, proper thread*

NightAngel

Hey funny picture Rholt ! : )

RichardPini

OK, I see a whole mess of Star Wars stormtroopers on the march, as envisioned perhaps by Edvard Munch ("The Scream").

Image hosting by Photobucket

Anyone else want to take a crack at this particular Rorschach bunch of blots? (Yes, it's very very late at night...)

wood_spryte

Elfpop broke another body part while filing the forum film? Surprised

krwordgazer

Surprised

They look like a series of X-rays of people's bones and joints.

Nowth

It's a series of x-rays of a person so frightened of mirrors and their own as well others' judgement that their true face is not just buried bone-deep but has in fact started transforming their skeleton, safe in the dark underneath the despised flesh.

</pathos>

LeeM

It's not that thing where they took dead bodies and cut them into hundreds of thin slices for anatomical analysis, is it??? Ew.

PS I may have mentioned this at some previous time period, but there is (or was) a pub called the New Moon in Leadenhall Street, London, just outside Leadenhall Market.

lostshard

hmmm it looks like a shapeshifter on drugs....while looking in a mirror...laughing it's ass off(if it shaped one)

but seriously...it looks like an x-ray of a knee or a hip to me...

it looks more like a knee to me...on the first four taken from the front, knee straight and also one of the knee bend (still taken from the front..) it looks like i can make out the kneecap.... hmm

and the last sequence n x-ray of the knee taken from the back..

well there you go

RichardPini

Quote:
lostshard

hmmm it looks like a shapeshifter on drugs....while looking in a mirror...laughing it's ass off(if it shaped one)

Now that one got a wolf-bark-laugh! I may have to work that into some story someday.

wood_spryte

Grin it's a picture of a man in a bad costume eating a dinosaur on a stick. the picture was taken from a distance while the photographer was wearing gogles.

:!:

~W

RichardPini

For years people have been trying to get inside my head. But for the moment - thanks to the Munchkin "Curse of the Exploding Kneecaps" - I am able to allow a peek inside my right knee.

Leetah, where are you?!?

krwordgazer

Aww, I was right then. Poor Richard. :( Hope your knee is better soon.

Nienna

Quote:
RichardPini

OK, I see a whole mess of Star Wars stormtroopers on the march, as envisioned perhaps by Edvard Munch ("The Scream")

Grin Grin Grin

Hilarious.
-But I do hope your knee is doing better.
How did that happen,by the way?

lunakat

Man- I know how bad a busted knee can be!

Mine still has a bubble in it- (from my 'chased by gypsies on a banged-up bike' incident!) It stiffens if I bend it for too long- and will probably never be the same. Oh well.

Sorry elf-pop!

Neat x-rays tho- To me, they look like a series of aliens in cowls, all holding a conversation! (Aliens 1 and 3 are wearing glasses. 70's shades.)

RichardPini

Quote:
Nienna

[quote:8b5c3edd54="RichardPini"]OK, I see a whole mess of Star Wars stormtroopers on the march, as envisioned perhaps by Edvard Munch ("The Scream")

Grin Grin Grin

Hilarious.
-But I do hope your knee is doing better.
How did that happen,by the way?[/quote:8b5c3edd54]

I think it was that fake Kurt Vonnegut address to a graduating class at MIT, a few years back, that included the snippet of advice: "Be good to your knees; you'll miss them when they're gone."

I tore the crap out of my left knee playing basketball in high school; years later that injury came back to haunt me while dancing to "The Rock Lobster" on a DC Comics party boat and I ended up requiring surgery on it. The right knee, apparently, simply decided it didn't like the lack of attention and visited torn-ligament hell on its own. But somehow that's appropriate; I've long been a collector and as everyone knows, complete sets are always preferable. :roll:

Arfurido

[knee rant]

Man, more people with knee injuries?? Damn those knees... you sure take them for granted, and when they're busted... it stinks.

I hope my medial collateralligament is not completely torn off (if that was enlightening to anybody...) I'll know by march 3rd. Knee was awsome yesterday, but stiff again today. Man.

[/knee rant]

lostshard

Quote:
RichardPini

[quote:dcc7a55b82="lostshard"]hmmm it looks like a shapeshifter on drugs....while looking in a mirror...laughing it's ass off(if it shaped one)

Now that one got a wolf-bark-laugh! I may have to work that into some story someday.[/quote:dcc7a55b82]

heheh i do have my moments Wink

and goodluck with the knee...and be glad you didn't do the 'vogeltjes-dans' or the bird dance (or however it's called in english)...you would've hurt more then your knee Wink

scarlettdoll

I also hope your knee heals soon, Richard but I also hope someone caught that dancing on video. I didn't remember Rock Lobster as being a wild enough song to tear apart ligaments dancing but you must have been breaking it down (literally). I'd sell someone's soul to see that. Grin

Nienna

You and your soulselling,scarlett. -You should open a pawnshop Grin

scarlettdoll

Grin
I would love to! I only need one or two souls and I can start my chain that results in me getting everything I want. :twisted:

SoftPrettyBigThing

I got one, you know Joss Wedon's Firefly, Simon and River are called Tam. They said on the commentry they called them that because they wanted to give them an oriental feel, but River Tam seems an almost elfquest name...

hope the knees better elf pop!

lunakat

deleted

Fourleafclover

Hmmm - came to this thread alittle late. It's sure neat to see snippets of Elfquest out there in the world. Anyone remember "Super Krim Chicken Feed" (I think it was chicken feed) from the letters pages in EQ2. Not sure which issue.

NightAngel

Klatering is the Dutch translation of Clearbrook.

Leanan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Clare%2C_2nd_Earl_of_Pembroke

One of the wikipedia entries for 'Strongbow' - the other two, btw, are the cider and a Tolkien character better known as Beleg Cuthalion... anyone fancy adding a fourth one? :P

This painting was where I first encountered the historical Strongbow - 'The marriage of Strongbow and Aoife'...

I didn't know his real name was Richard, though! Grin

callidora

[quote:dbd1ea1eea="Leanan"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Clare%2C_2nd_Earl_of_Pembroke

One of the wikipedia entries for 'Strongbow' - the other two, btw, are the cider and a Tolkien character better known as Beleg Cuthalion... anyone fancy adding a fourth one? :P

[img:dbd1ea1eea]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/imladviel/forum/marriage.jpg[/img:dbd1ea1eea]

This painting was where I first encountered the historical Strongbow - 'The marriage of Strongbow and Aoife'...

I didn't know his real name was Richard, though! Grin[/quote:dbd1ea1eea]

For some reason...that also reminds me of the infamous orgy scene outta Quests End...

RichardPini

Someone, years ago, sent me this shot. I really wish I knew where it was from. Memory whispers there was a note saying it was on some amusement park ride, somewhere in Germany.

[img:f7af170caa]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/richardpini/Cutter_Dortmund.jpg[/img:f7af170caa]

Kathleen

WHOA! I WANNA GO ON THAT RIDE!

wow, the midol's kicking in. except for the painkilling part.

Willowspring

ooo... Thats a ride i wouldnt mind going on...

joselle

ummm....methinks you should have gotten some money for that.

NightAngel

Well yeah, the url says Dortmund. That's a German city.

RichardPini

[quote:3e972f311d="NightAngel"]Well yeah, the url says Dortmund. That's a German city.[/quote:3e972f311d]

I know - the filename is the one I gave it. The photo has a note on the back, in my own handwriting, "Cutter - Dortmund, Germany?" Which means I was trying to remember what the original photographer had indicated, even as I scribbled the note. The park might have been in Munich too. Shoot, the thing might not even be there any more...

RichardPini

[quote:bbf0883fae="joselle"]ummm....methinks you should have gotten some money for that.[/quote:bbf0883fae]

Don't I wish. If I had (fill in your own modest sum here) for each time someone's used Elfquest artwork without asking permission, I'd be posting these replies from a white sand beach somewhere in St. Warm... :roll:

LeeM

duplicated post removed

LeeM

[quote:fa7220ff35="Leanan"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Clare%2C_2nd_Earl_of_Pembroke

One of the wikipedia entries for 'Strongbow' - the other two, btw, are the cider and a Tolkien character better known as Beleg Cuthalion... anyone fancy adding a fourth one? :P[/quote:fa7220ff35]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strongbow]Done![/url]

Incidentally, Strongbow Cider once used a character called Strongbow in their TV commercials. He was a kind of Conan parody who had no parents because he'd been invented by an advertising agency...! The campaign didn't last long, and I've always wondered if it was because they discovered that there was another trademarked character of the same name.

chiefwildfire

Surprised Surprised

chiefwildfire

I am going to get a Bearclaw tatoo done someday soon.

Shadikka

Sorry for the image quality (camera phone), but... I was in this shop of a bit bigger side, going to the checkout and *o_o*:

[img:2fdfc750d8]http://koti.mbnet.fi/wwolf/gsm/Kuva026.jpg[/img:2fdfc750d8]

Shadikka

Sorry for the double-posting, but this works as a little bump, too. This is a good thread Wink

English Wikipedia, Ostara:
"Etymologically, Ostara, or Eostre as it is sometimes called, comes from the word "east", meaning dawn, and is thought by some to be related to the words "estrogen" and "estrus". These words, however, are more widely considered to be derived from the Greek οἶστρος (oistros), meaning "gadfly" or "frenzy"."

...FRENZY?!

RichardPini

Methinks I perceive a trend, given Barb's post near the beginning of this thread, and now this...

[img:089f20aebf]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/richardpini/Wolf_Chevy.jpg[/img:089f20aebf]

Elyon

Who would have thought that Clearbrook would taste good to Wink

chocolate!

oh my god!!! this is soooo bad!!!!!

:oops:

someone drawed...oh my...

see for yourself...
oh my...

*runs away trying to get this image out of her head*

Elyon

And you are actually posting the link to Surprised

But I did know those drawings where on the internet. :roll: So no suprise or me..

lostshard

euhm i think you'd better remove that one.... there are children on this forum, and you just made them more curious to see the link...

chocolate!

true

sorry

deleted it!

but you know...it's quite easy to find...I didn't even look for that at all!

Elyon

Hehehe I also liked this one. :roll: But i'm wondering why I keep finding food and drinks and stuff and nothing else :?

chocolate!

well, it's better then what I found

pff....
:oops:
*still heavily breathing*

NEXT PAGE