ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

What does your name mean?

Tavie

[quote:0eff01ac30="Tavie"][quote:0eff01ac30="Jade Owl"]I discovered that my name (Penelope) means Dream Weaver!

I thought that was really cool. *hugs Dreamweaver, wherever she is* :hug2:[/quote:0eff01ac30]

Oh, I've always loved that name. Do people call you Penny?

Is there a "what does your name mean?" thread?[/quote:0eff01ac30]

Sorry if this thread exists. There are sooooooo many pages...

My name is Octavia. It means "the eighth child".

I guess it really means "the eighth daughter", since it's feminine.

(But I'm not. I'm the first in a set of twins. So my parents, by so naming, made a liar out of me. :D )

What's your name mean?

Nowth

Penelope means Dreamweaver?

This seemed strange to me so I did some looking-up :roll:

The meaning seems unclear, actually.

Various websites say "Weaver" or "a kind of duck" (both apparently related to the Greek mythological story of Penelope)

English Wikipedia says "Her name is close to the Greek word for duck but is usually understood to be a combination of the Greek word for web or woof (πηνη) and the word for eye or face (ωψ)"

German Wikipedia says "The name is allegedly composed of the Greek words πήνη (pēnē = web) und λέπειν (lépein = to tear off, to peel off)"

Nobdoy knows...

But Webtearer would be super neato

Minouche

I read somewhere that Muriel is a Welsh name and means fortress or wall. I don't speak Welsh so I won't vouch for it+ if that's the meaning it's a very poor fit indeed. I'm neither that strong nor (I hope) that repelling. Well parents can't really know in advance: I name Gregory ([+ or -meaning] gregarious) my second son who happens to be a shy loner. We should do like the Native Americans and get another name once we have developped our personality.

Nowth

Murus does mean "wall" in Latin, but the Gaelic form Muirgheal means "radiant sea" (muir, mariner, German Meer... see the link). It's also Hebrew for "fragrance of God" (or, "of El"? Then the "Muri" part could be "myrrh")

No, there isn't much that doesn't make me look anything up... :roll:

But with any luck it's freed you of being a stack of bricks :)

edit: geez, typos in a language post

MichaelChandler

My name (michael, duh!) Means "who resembles God". Chandler Just means candle maker. Maybe some of my ancestors were candle makers, so they took their title and made it their last name. :D

Arthis

There's one (maybe two) other topics about name meaning...

I'm too tired to search, sorry...

edit: searched anyway...

[url=http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075]What is your real name??[/url]

My name is 'Guillaume', and that means 'Protected by his will'
2nd, 3rd and 4th names are 'Pierre', 'Roger' and 'Luc' - respectively 'Stone', 'He who prays' and 'Light'

Minouche

Thanks Arthis: "radiant sea" and "fragrance of god" are quite nice ego boosters even though they're probably as undeserved as "stack of bricks".

JadeOwl

[quote:e13c1f559c="Nowth"]Penelope means Dreamweaver?

This seemed strange to me so I did some looking-up :roll:

The meaning seems unclear, actually.

Various websites say "Weaver" or "a kind of duck" (both apparently related to the Greek mythological story of Penelope)

English Wikipedia says "Her name is close to the Greek word for duck but is usually understood to be a combination of the Greek word for web or woof (????) and the word for eye or face (??)"

German Wikipedia says "The name is allegedly composed of the Greek words ???? (p?n? = web) und ?????? (lépein = to tear off, to peel off)"

Nobdoy knows...

But Webtearer would be super neato[/quote:e13c1f559c]

Hahah! Grin

I mostly just wanted it to mean Dreamweaver because I thought it would be cool and soemone sais it did. But I like Webtearer better, actually!

I knew the weaver part already...My full name (Penelope Weber) is something like "Weaver Weaver", which is pretty crazy.

Nowth

Sigourney ;)

The Greek letters and even some of the accented "e"s are gone in the quoted text... do you see them at all?

Testing...

[quote:8f85627c50="Nowth"]πηνη, ωψ, πήνη, pēnē, λέπειν, lépein[/quote:8f85627c50]

To me they're still there when I quote them

NightskyDarkstar

My name has a weird translation, it comes out to Crowned Doe *like a deer doe*. Im really proud to say though that my kid's name translates into something much prettier. Her name turns out to be Graceful Flower of Spice. Litrally.

Fourleafclover

I'm a flower. Grin

Allura

Allura, with two L's means alluring.

My real name, is the same, but with one L. This one means 'divine counselor.'

Satiretto

Both my first and my middle name are diminutives of Russian names, the first meaning "bringer of victory", the second meaning "grace".

MichaelChandler

I wish my brother wasn't bestowed a name that doesn't fit him. Besides infant surgery, the kid's a wimp. But he deserves his props for being a great brother (and the infant surgery.)

Oh yeah, and his name:
Caleb-"strong, inpenatrable, brave"

The_Wylde_Wynd

My name: Lilith
Meaning: Spirit of the night

It's a pretty good fit really.

My sister's name: Eris
Meaning: Goddess of strife

...Another really good fit.

...Now that I think about it I'm shocked our "parent"-things were able to do so well.

joyleaf1

my name colleen is Irish it means "the girl" or "girl", well dugh...i am a girl and Im very irish. lol..... 8) 8) 8)

Treefox

Neat! Very fitting then! Colleen sounds beautiful, btw.

crescent1325

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll. My name is Johnien. And it doesnt mean squat. My dad wanted a boy, and my mom wanted Janine to be my name.

So they took my dads name (John) and squashed it together with the last three letters of her name (ien) and said its pronounced Janine. :roll:

The_Wylde_Wynd

Quote:
crescent1325

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll. My name is Johnien. And it doesnt mean squat. My dad wanted a boy, and my mom wanted Janine to be my name.

So they took my dads name (John) and squashed it together with the last three letters of her name (ien) and said its pronounced Janine. :roll:

Wow. Surprised

crescent1325

yah, ive think ive heard every way to mangle my name possible.

whats better is when people get it correct on the first try ..im all like :EEEK:

Minouche

Grin Most people manage to mangle Muriel (I've heard mine as Moorial, Meuhrill, etc... Meeooriel is the closest to the correct one), so I guess you really are surprised when yours is pronounced well on the first try. Grin Well, at least your parents didn't call you Mellen like my neighbor (the Dad wanted Helen and the Mom Melanie) and which is pronounced Melon by most .

Tavie

Quote:
muriel

Grin Most people manage to mangle Muriel (I've heard mine as Moorial, Meuhrill, etc... Meeooriel is the closest to the correct one), so I guess you really are surprised when yours is pronounced well on the first try. Grin Well, at least your parents didn't call you Mellen like my neighbor (the Dad wanted Helen and the Mom Melanie) and which is pronounced Melon by most .

Sounds like something my Dad would do in a misspelled attempt to get a Tolkien reference in somewhere. ("Speak friend and you may enter!" Mellon!)

Luckily he wasn't the one who named my sister and me, he got to pick our middle names and they were nothing Elvish, thank gods.

Most people try to rhyme mine with 'savvy' or something like 'hobby', which is why I have the pronunciation guide in my sig. ;)

elf_queen_vik

First name -Victoria: Winner, Conqueror
Middle name- Ariel: Lion Of God (Ariel from William Shakespere's Tempest, not The Little Mermaid)

(My last name means of teylor as in sew up your clothes taylor.)

Aldar

My name means thunder or loud noise...

*cough*

martoo

My first name is Julia and comes from the ancient romans... female form of "Julius"... Takagi (my family name) means "hightree"... but actually I'm not very tall person Wink

Treefox

I like a lot of Japanese last names. They often come from the time when "peasants" were finally allowed to have last names, too. So they named themselves after things around them like fields, woods, lakes, mountains. I think that's neat.

Starmist

My name means something like "blind musician who lives in the past but stays strong".. Hehe..

nomad-human

My given name is Megan. It means, depending on where you look, either pearl or strength. Megan is the Welsh derivitive Margaret/Margaros. Not to be confused with the Irish Meagan which sounds different from my name.

However I go by the nickname Maggy.

Ecko

my real name Heather means flowering!! i think im some kind of purple flower or weed or something!!`

cactus

Quote:
Aldar

My name means thunder or loud noise...

*cough*

To comment or not to comment, that's the question Grin .
It's...... fitting :P Grin .

My name is a variant of an old norse name which means "She who knows the secret of the gods"

It's not a very common name according to the website I used to find it's meaning Grin . Apparently there's only 3295 persons with this name as their only first name in Norway.
There is only 7 persons with the same last name (they are all closely related to me :roll: Grin ). And apparently I'm the only person in the whole world with this combination of first -and last name :? .

It's kind of sad actually. My last name comes from the farm my greatgreat grandparents built, and it will probably die with me if I don't have any children. Aaaand it's not very likely that I'll have any...

Trollbabe

I don't post personal info here, but my first name, maiden name and married name have all been through the mangler. Next guy I marry will be a "John Smith."

Many American English names derive from Hebrew and other languages, and may not make sense translated in English. American Indians and Ellis Island immigrants had their names mangled on a regular basis, i.e. "Rain-in-the-face" (literally, "his face is like a thunderstorm") and the spelling of "Schumaker" as "Shoemaker."

Nightshadow

I have a really normal first name (at least its normal here in Norway).
My name is Marit. It means pearl. kinda boring name, and in Norway it is the 4 most used womens name (28311 women in Norway has the name).

RedheadEmber

Anne (along with all the other variants) means Grace/Charm or Mercy!
Berthe means bright, famous!
A "Lund" is a sort of clearing in danish!
And Jensen means son of Jens!

lunakat

My first name means "white wave"
and my last name means "from the isle of white."

It's all very redundant!

NightAngel

I have a name in sign language for the kid *he's 2 years* in my group.
I told his mother my name means sea in Latin.
So now my name for the kid is the sign of sea

Like this:

drawing
:D

Wyverex

My first name, Herlinde, derived from Herlindis: "her"= army; "lindis"= wooden shield :? No idea what the name as a whole means. It's a female viking name.
Second name: Liesbeth < Elisabeth = 'God is enough for me'
Third name: Patricia = of noble blood

Am I the only one with three names here? Maybe because Belgium is somewhat backward :D

MultiFacets

My middle name, which I go by now, is Gaelic for "clearing" or "heather meadow".

My last name might be British, and means "the mound of dirt over a grave".

Embala

Wyverex said: Am I the only one with three names here?
... not really - guess I was a newbie here when you've asked, @Wyverex ;)

My first name is of Old High German origin and means "of noble mind".
My second name is of Arabian origin and means "princess" (old German name, too)
My third name is of Latin origin and means "follower of Christ".
My last name is of Old German origin and means "blessed".

Takes a look at it ... *chuckles* ... most likely funny coincidences! I guess my parents put some thought in my first name, the other two are the names of my mother's mother and my father's grandmother.

RedheadEmber

Wyverex said: Am I the only one with three names here? Maybe because Belgium is somewhat backward

I got four. B-)

But of course both 'Lund' and 'Jensen' are "family names"

Night_Tanem

My first name means something like "my sweetest" and that is where my father gave me the wrong name. He should have named me something that means "the one who will get her revenge without trying" 8-X
And I have 3 names two but then again I live in Belgium two...

RedheadEmber

Does Belgian people just have to have several of everything? You have three names (just to be sure, you are talking about just personal names, right? Not family names) and have three official languages in your country. Or was that four?

Night_Tanem

The names are there because we usually add the names of the godmother and godfather. It's just there on the papers and gets used from time to time to laugh at each other. The 3 languages (French, Dutch and German) are there because we got invaded so many times in the past...

RedheadEmber

Both godfather and godmother? Is that why there are so many Belgian guys named Maria?

(Because every godmother in Belgium is named Maria, it's a prerequisite for the task.)

Night_Tanem

=)) probably. For me it is Chantal Samba but I won't mention these on legal documents if they don't ask for it... It is mentioned on our id (note: not every Belgian has 2 extra names) but we don't go introduce ourselves as Johan Maria Peter Timmerman :D

RedheadEmber

Everyone in Belgium is named Johan Maria Peter Timmerman? Doesn't that get awfully confusing? =P~

Night_Tanem

lmao should have put for example there seen as I'm not the only smart-ass on this forum... 8-X

marinayurk

My name is meant by
'sea'. And the Power of a
name goes as though a
wave.

Embala

I like this, Marina. :)

G0lden

Well, I understand that my name Michelle, is first a Hebrew name and is roughly translated to child of God.

My mom on the other hand has an unusual first name. It is Jeffie. What it means I have no clue. The only thing we know is that there were a set of twins in our family. One was Effie and the other Jeffie. Oh and I have heard of a variation of Jeffrie, yes it was a womans name.

marinayurk

Child of God. Cool! At us
before the child's birth
future parents will turn
some reference books in
search of a name. And
sometimes the name
suddenly arises in the
head the parent from
nowhere as my mother
had it. Sometimes the
child is called in honor of