ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The "Tree and Lobster" - Come in and have a frink!

Satiretto

Well, Treefox and I figured it's high time we had our own spamming thread... I mean, we can't go on forever exchanging random information in the game threads, can we? So we decided to open this virtual tavern – for imsomniacs, coffee and chili chocolate addicts, crazy people, cynics, romantics, owls, badgers, hippies (dark or otherwise), overlords (and of course overladies) and every other sort of forum fauna and flora.

Welcome to the "Tree and Lobster", a pub with unlimited supplies of every virtual frink (thanks, Kir!) or snack you can imagine. Come in and join the madness :D!

Treefox

Very well said, Satiretto! Thanks a lot!
As you hopefully can see, I didn't turn out to be a homicidal maniac after all (not yet at least).
And I've got my hot frink besides me and am not looking forward to work tomorrow very much.
So, Satiretto, did you spend all Easter in chains in a humid little dark room or not? Wink

Satiretto

I was prepared to, believe me, but what can I say? It turned out the guy who plays the kidnapping vampire in question had an inflamed wisdom tooth and was unable to play that night Grin.

I hope you reached your destination all right and didn't get lost on the way?

Treefox

Grin Wow, I bet an inflamed wisdom tooth is extra hard for a vampire. Ah, the pain...
I found my way alright. Not a problem! Luckily we finished that horrible tax computation, or whatever you call it, pretty quickly and were able to indulge in most scrumptious Croques.
But I got my share of Deutsche Bahn horror on my way back to Bremen: the tracks between Hamburg and Harburg were completely blocked due to some ominous playing children (Deutsche Bahn excuse No. 5) and so I missed my train even though my friend drove me to Harburg station. Missed it by seconds, that is. Still managed to press the door opener and off it went without me. So I spent one and a half hour in Harburg... bought another wolf book because I was so frustrated.

Satiretto

Gah, that sucks... But you got another wolf book, that's good :-).

The mention of Croques made me hungry... Luckily it's almost time to call it a day, but there's still some workout between me and my dinner. *growls*

Treefox

Good thing, too! Working until 18:00 is not nice! We don't have Croques down here, so I'm always trying get one. I so love these!
I also ate loads of Schmalzkuchen and other greasy, delicious stuff. No regrets yet!
I hope you'll have a nice lunch then!

Satiretto

Thanks! I'll do my very best :D.

The postman decided to shower me with parcels today, and I wonder if I'll get them home without problems. I suspect I'll look like a beast of burden... *eyes the parcels suspiciously*

Treefox

Perhaps the content of those can contribute to your lunch? Wink
You know, I'm rather fond of mules, so hey, why not? Just how big are they?
I hope I'll have time to hop in here tomorrow as well. Depends strongly on how much work is waiting for me... :?

KirthelastGo-Back

At the moment I'm all out of coffee to frink Wink , but even so... welcome (again), Treefox and Satiretto. And do accept this fruit basket on behalf of the Abode Chamber of Commerce. Grin

Glad to hear the meet-up went so well! (Thanks too, Satiretto, for writing me back!)

OK, off to make another phone call or two. One to a good Forum friend, the other to my old newspaper - W-2 got returned to sender, gah. Evil Grin

Cheers!

"Kir"

Satiretto

Bah, work ”“ a necessary evil :P.

I'm afraid the contents of the parcels won't do much for my dinner. Well, maybe the sheepskin... I guess it all depends on recipes ”“ the secret is in the sauce, mwahaha! But no need to worry ”“ while one of the parcels is rather big, they're all pretty light. *juggles with the parcels and drops them all*

And yay, we got a fruit basket! Thanks, Kir :D!

Treefox

*munch* Thanks, indeed!
So, which call will come first? The pleasant or the unpleasant one? :?
(I seem to like that emoticon.)

A good sauce is the secret! Let's you forget how tough that sheepskin is. May I ask what you need it for? More lovely handiwork? Me so jealous!
Btw, can't you post a picture or two of your mother's dolls? I'd love to see them.

Satiretto

I need the sheepskin to sleep on during the Eretum LARP ”“ it's going to be my medieval camping mat :D.

I'll take pictures of some of my mother's dolls when I visit her next and post them here. But it might take some time, I'm afraid.

So you're waiting for an unpleasant call? Brrr...

Treefox

The waiting is the hardest part... for unpleasant calls as well as for lovely pictures. Don't worry, just take your time. I'd be very interested anyway.

Maybe (just maaaaybe) I'll start my next picture today. Once I finish that, your request will be next. I'm looking forward to that very much, but am a little scared, too. Quite a challenge!

Flowerstar

*comes in, looks around, sits down and orders a large hot chocolate* Frinks are without calories, right Grin ?
Thank you for including the forum flora Wink ! (Though I could also pass as a chocolate addict without the chili or as a hippie anyway ...)

Ooooh, a sheepskin! And a medieval LARP! I'm jealous, Satiretto :P . (Never made it to another LARP ever since the last abysmal one :? ...)

And I'm looking forward to your next pictures, Treefox! What's Satiretto's request?

Treefox

Welcome! Nice to have you on the show!

Concerning that next request, I'll leave it to Satiretto, if she wants to reveal it. It's going to take some time anyway... *sigh* Many ideas and so little time
to realize them...
And, of course, you can have any frink you want!
Also, I'd like to add, that I love sheepskins for daily life, too.

Laurel

*pokes my head in, decides its nice in here, so pulls up a comfy chair*
Can I have a hot chocolate too?
Chocoholic in residence now :D

Sheepskin, warm.... mmmm nice.

I've gone back and forth with both Treefox and Satiretto in the games forum, and thought it would be nice to get to know each other a bit better. I love some of the words you come up with in the wordgames, makes me think more and smile lots.

Flowerstar

*settles in comfortably, sipping the hot chocolate* Aww, pity, I'm such a curious person :goodbad: ... Well, I just hope Satiretto chooses to reveal it, it sounds exciting!

Something tells me I should visit the Games forum more often 8) ...

Laurel

Flowerstar, have some chocolate cookies *hands a plate of cookies* I missed you in the chat room on Tuesday evening.

I like some of the word games, but haven't had time to play as much as I used to :(

JadeOwl

Oh, owls are welcome? Well then.

*sits down comfortably*

I just seem to have lost interest in the games lately... :?

KirthelastGo-Back

*bellies up to the bar for a mug of... more hot chocolate with a dollop of freshly whipped cream*

Hey again, girls! Satiretto, did your parcels bring you good tidings or ill?

Treefox, I'm really glad you two started this thread. Yes, we trade e-mails, chat, communicate in private. But certain parts of an online friendship should be out there for people to see, should be savored - like now.

Again, Satiretto... when you first suggested a thread for "insomniacs, frinkers, coffee addicts and other Forum fauna," I confess I thought you were kidding. Now I'm glad you were serious. :)

Cheers (with a wave of my Forum stein),
"Kir"

Satiretto

Good morning, everybody! It's great to see you here :D. *carries some sheepskins into the thread* We need decoration, methinks. And something warm and fluffy to sit on.

Flowerstar, I hope the LARP goes well ”“ it will be my first full-blown fantasy LARP... But I'm there with some friends, so I already know that there will be nice people to interact with. It will be interesting though to be playing in daylight for a change ;-). By the way, my request to Treefox is an illustration of a certain moment in Jade Owl's "Changelings"... Teasing is so much fun :P!

Kir, the parcels brought me good stuff ”“ in addition to the sheepskin I received 6.5 metres of leather straps (also for the LARP) and my latest perfume order from the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I love their oils!

Treefox

Good morning once more! I'm really happy to see that so many people have stopped by! Please make yourself comfortable. I still recommend that chili chocolate, though. It's just so delicious!

Concerning that Changelings illustration, maybe we should hereby officially ask Jade Owl for a permission. I wouldn't want to upset that lovely little Owl.

Kir, you know you're always welcome here! Feel free to chat and discuss with us. But you really should thank Satiretto for making this thread. A very good idea, I think.

Laurel: I'm happy to have you here! I'd very much like to get to know you better, too! And we can still have fun in the Games thread, too.

Flowerstar: When will your LARP take place?

Wow, that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab sounds amazing! Is there some place where one can have a whiff of that?
Agh, my post was deleted and I had to write it all again... Oh well.
Okay, back to work for now.

Satiretto

Quote:
Treefox

Concerning that Changelings illustration, maybe we should hereby officially ask Jade Owl for a permission. I wouldn't want to upset that lovely little Owl.

Very true. So, Jade Owl, what do you think? *borrows Lady Arill's Puppy Dog Eyes Of Doomâ„¢*

Quote:
Treefox

Wow, that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab sounds amazing! Is there some place where one can have a whiff of that?

Unfortunately there's no place in Germany that carries their oils, so it's mostly trial and error for me. But the BPAL forum has a good review section that is quite helpful. And of course you could always try some of my oils next time we meet ;-). *feels like the evil enabler she is*

Treefox

[quote:c29c9899af]Unfortunately there's no place in Germany that carries their oils, so it's mostly trial and error for me. But the BPAL forum has a good review section that is quite helpful. And of course you could always try some of my oils next time we meet . *feels like the evil enabler she is*[/quote:c29c9899af]

Ah, I see! I would very much appreciate a little whiff of it. Eh, nothing like "Mufti Eleganti" I suppose? I'd really like to poke my nose deeper into this. Just heard I will be doing some company shopping this afternoon. Love to get out a bit. It's forecasted to be about 22 degrees...

KirthelastGo-Back

Satiretto, saw the Web site for this fragrance maker, but... who ARE the folks who make these concoctions, anyway? This is a rather fascinating thing, you know. If I ever meet my Philadelphia contacts again I need to tell them all about this. They're mostly SCA participants, and Philly is the de facto capital of SCA-dom in North America.

Pleasant day in Frankfurt, hm, Tree? Lessee... that would be 71 F if in Yuba City, I believe. That works - in either system and any place. :D

Cheers,
"Kir"
(wondering about what that pub you visited had on tap...)

Satiretto

Quote:
Kir. the last Go-Back

(wondering about what that pub you visited had on tap...)

Freshly draught Ratsherren Pilsener, one of our local brands ;-).

As for the Lab, it's the brainchild of Elizabeth Moriarty, a darn talented and very creative perfumer. Her scents are very popular among the gothic and pagan communities, but also among SCA participants and LARPers. If someone's into playful decadence or just lovely fragrances, they're prone to fall in love with Beth's stuff :D.

Flowerstar

Mmm, cookies *munches*! *brings in some chocolate cake and easter ... damn, what's that in English? Hefezopf* ...

Ah, a Changeling illustration! I think I'll be able to live with that little teaser Wink .

Treefox, I'm not attending a LARP though I'd like to - I was at one nearly two years ago which was the height of my LARPing activities and at the same time the lowest point because it was desastrous (okay, not for me, for me it was mainly boring and stressfull because of all the relationship problems going on around me). I wanted to attend one this summer (the Merseberger LARP which is organized by some friends from the German EQ community), but so far I haven't got around to apply, and neither has my friend, so we'll probably wait until there's one in a time less stressfull for both of us.

Black Phoenix Lap perfumes always sound great, but I have learned they have their own fandom and when it comes to fighting, they're up to par with the craziest fandoms (like LotR or Harry Potter). So, since I'm not so much for perfume anyway, I decided not to give in to curiousity :o .

Treefox

Ah, that beer was yummy! That place surely had a wonderful atmosphere.

Wah, I just got assigned to write an article introducing or little branch here for our company magazine. In Japanese! Nooooo!
Luckily I heard that after I had lunch.

Still, I'm very interested in those perfumes. Sounds like somewhat hand-made stuff. Is Elizabeth Moriarty her real name? Surprised

KirthelastGo-Back

Quote:
Treefox

Wah, I just got assigned to write an article introducing or little branch here for our company magazine. In Japanese! Nooooo!
Luckily I heard that after I had lunch.

Hmmm... I still have a couple of Pepcid AC pills... need one?

[quote:6f2ce528d1]
Still, I'm very interested in those perfumes. Sounds like somewhat hand-made stuff. Is Elizabeth Moriarty her real name? Surprised[/quote:6f2ce528d1]

I wouldn't know, but as flowery as the name sounds, it's just plausible enough to be real, methinks.

Hey, Treefox... is it all right to frink decaf in your establishment? Wink

Cheers,
"Kir"

Treefox

[quote:70c31caa6c]Hmmm... I still have a couple of Pepcid AC pills... need one?[/quote:70c31caa6c]

I'll let you know, when that time comes! Thanks!

[quote:70c31caa6c]Hey, Treefox... is it all right to frink decaf in your establishment?[/quote:70c31caa6c]

We're liberal enough to allow it, but no one would survive without some decent caffeine here. Wink

KirthelastGo-Back

Quote:
Treefox

(on decaf at the T&L)
We're liberal enough to allow it, but no one would survive without some decent caffeine here. Wink

Too true! Had my cup of coffee AFTER almost crashing on the highway, duh. (See the "How Do You Feel?" thread about that.)

OK, guess I'll turn in. Can I put down 50 euros to cover all my drinks for next time? Wink

"Kir," who can easily get used to this new Place Where Everybody Knows Your Name. 8)

Satiretto

Quote:
Treefox

Still, I'm very interested in those perfumes. Sounds like somewhat hand-made stuff. Is Elizabeth Moriarty her real name? Surprised

As far as I know, yes. Pretty name, isn't it? And you're right, the oils are hand-blended. But as Flowerstar said, it might be a good idea to stay away from the attached fandom ”“ like so many others out there, the BPAL fanatics try to rip off each other's heads from time to time ;-).

Kir, keep your money ”“ of course all frinks here are on the house :D.

NightAngel

*enters*

A cappuchino svp!

:direct:

*I'm the aggressive client* ;)

Satiretto

Welcome, Nightangel :D! *hands over the cappuccino* How are things going?

Treefox

[quote:a2433b3bb3]Kir, keep your money ”“ of course all frinks here are on the house .[/quote:a2433b3bb3]

What kind of hosts would we be if they weren't? Wink

Still Elizabeth Moriarty is a very beautiful name! I'll heed you and stay away from that fandom.

Concerning coffee: I just had one and still feel so sleepy... I'm just too used to caffeine. It's scary.
We'll start our little shopping tour at 15:00. Maybe that'll help to wake me up.

Treefox

*waves at NightAngel*
Is there any flavour you prefer? :P

Satiretto

Shopping is good :D! I'm sure it will help to wake you up. I'll stay away from the caffeine myself ”“ my instinct of self-preservation tells me to ;-).

Treefox

Yes, never getting used to caffeine is probably best... Why did I have to train myself to like it? Grin

I'm looking forward to go out. We're going to Metro. I love looking around there. Shelves full of chocolate... *drools*

NightAngel

Flavoured cappuchino's exist? Surprised

Ehh......I'd like to have the ehh... *mumbles* flavour:)

Things are going well, I've compensated some hours at work and now I'm home, relaxing!

So, what is this for music? *dances*

Satiretto

*mumbles* There must be something wrong with the cappuccino, Nightangel already hears music that isn't there...

NightAngel

Surprised

Space Coffee?

Flowerstar

*laughs* It's all because it's a frink - who knows what's in there Wink ?

*pours another cup of chocolate* Damn, I have to resist the urge to go and be unhealthy and break my diet :( ... Stupid hormones demanding fat and sugar! *drowns the feeling in hot chocolate frink* But it would make the stomach cramps more easy to bear, I suspect :? .

Tree, good luck with that writing assignment! Do you have some Japanese at your firm to look it over once you're finished? But I think it will be alright Wink .

Treefox

Yikes! Mumbling space coffee! When thinking about it, it sounds rather nice...

I've seen flavored Cappucino! Don't know, if it's any good though...

We didn't go on our little shopping trip after all. Suddenly chaos came over us and forced us to do other, not so pleasant things. Oh well, woke me up anyway.

Ah Flowerstar, that sounds painful. Let's hope a little frink will help.

[quote:c03350630c]Tree, good luck with that writing assignment! Do you have some Japanese at your firm to look it over once you're finished? But I think it will be alright .[/quote:c03350630c]

Thanks for the confidence! I truly hope someone in Japan will read it before it gets published. I haven't written any Japanese in ages. It will probably sound like a little child would have written it. Grin
We'll see how it turns out...

Badger

*wanders in and bristles fur*

I need salmiac, since I am feeling bitter.

Treefox

*strokes fur*
Welcome!
Any frink you wish, Badger! Don't how that's going to taste, though...

Flowerstar

My brother loves cappucino with Amaretto in it, but that's all I know about flavoured cappucino Grin ...

Oh, I hope the unpleasant things were not too unpleasant and the chaos has settled by now, Tree! And there will be another chance for a shopping trip, I guess.

Well, it's just the monthly joy of being a woman :roll: ... Good thing I can't leave home because I have to wait for the Bofrost man for my mother, otherwise I'd go buy foodstuff and that wouldn't be good :tsk: .

*strokes the badger* Hey, good to see you!

Treefox

I seem never to be able to buy fat-sugary foodstuff... Ah, I'm not good resisting food. I tried a diet once in my life and really saw it through. I lost about 1 kilo and that was it. Never tried it again. Am now at peace with my body weight. Sports helped me a lot. Not being a teenager anymore helped, too.

Our chaos has been going on for a couple of weeks and it seems that it made itself at home here. Wink I'm not suffering so badly from it, my boss and colleagues have it far worse.

Satiretto

Welcome Badger :D! Why are you feeling bitter? *joins the fur-stroking gang*

Too bad you couldn't go shopping, Treefox. Chaos loves to strike unexpectedly, doesn't it? Here it's still a rather slow day, it feels like it will never end. Oh well.

*eyes Flowerstar* Now where did I put that special cramp-easing chocolate...

Flowerstar

Oh, that must have been disappointing, one kilo for all that trouble ...

Sometimes I feel like I have been on diet all my life. Actually I'm on and off since I'm fifteen or something, but this time I really have to get the hang of it. It's not because of the looks - most of the time I'm content with how I look or at least I don't mind it that much -, but because I'm really overweight and have the most wonderful health problems because of it (was diagnosed with diabetes a while ago, and then there's high blood pressure and my joints telling me they don't like that weight and will like it even less in the next years) :roll: . So yeah, really have to see it through.

Satiretto, that chocolate would be the biggest hit in the stores, that's for sure :D .

Badger

Gah! My fur will be soon all shiny. ^^ Because everyone are stroking it.
And for my bitterness, I saw this hawt librarian guy once again, and he's just hotter than Hell, and I look like a pile of trash.

Hmph.

Treefox

Oh dear! *hugs Flowerstar* That is indeed a good reason for a diet! I really hope that it'll show the effects you want.

Satiretto, that chocolate would be a big seller! Would that be available for asthma, too? Wink

Satiretto

Hm, there really seems to be a market for medical chocolate ;-)!

Badger, somehow I seriously doubt you look like a pile of trash ”“ especially not with that extra shiny fur :D. Don't let the presence of the hot library guy intimidate you.

Badger

Especially, when I have a new guy to look at... Maybe. I don't know. I am gonna ask him on a date, someday.

Satiretto

Hey, that sounds good!

Badger

But I am so freakin' scared. :crying:

Treefox

That would be brave and admirable, indeed! Who dares wins! Otherwise you'll never know. Also, it's hard to imagine you as a pile of trash.

[quote:bdf611ad58]Hm, there really seems to be a market for medical chocolate[/quote:bdf611ad58]

And why might that be, I wonder?

Satiretto

Poor Badger! *hugs* I know it's scary. But I think guys are just as scared to ask anyone out. Oh dear, all this dating business isn't easy...

Treefox

It really isn't... There's guarantee to anything. But at least you'll be able to tell that you've tried.

Badger

I am not scared to ask him out, I am scared to ... Ah, it's difficult to explain, and prevent everyone becoming mother-hens...

I've never met him irl.
So, yes, he'd be an internet-friend to meet. Don't worry, Kitt already gave me some precious advice about things like that.

I am scared, that if I meet him and both of us will get disappointed and it will break the fragile friendship that we have.

Treefox

There's that risk, of course...

Probably much easier when it's among the same gender, right, Satiretto?

Satiretto

I suppose that depends on sexual preferences :P.

Laurel

*wonders back in again* Couldn't get on the internet last night after 8 pm :( Can I get my hot chocolate topped off? and some Marshmallows added?

Flowerstar, is the stuff you offered perhaps some kind of chocolate? Either way I will try some. *takes offering* I have a friend who did a gastric bypass so she could lose weight, I think that is a scary prospect to even consider. Sad thing is she had been dieting for 2 months and was doing good, but wanted to do it faster. Any time you need a cyber pick-me-up, I have M&Ms Oh plenty.

Badger, *gives pats too* talk to your internet friend about your concerns, anyway that's what I would do, better to have things in the open IMO.

Satirreto, what scents do you like? Have you ever heard of Patouli? I love that, very earthy, some people think it smells dusty, not me.

I'm usually online all day long at work, but since I live in the States, I'm off your schedules.

Treefox

[quote:3be59c9c22]I suppose that depends on sexual preferences Razz.[/quote:3be59c9c22]

That is so very true!

*Hands plenty of Marchmallows to Laurelglow* There's always fresh cyber chocolate waiting here.

But those time differences can make a decent conversation hard at times. *sigh*

Anyway, how did that bypass go? How's your friend doing now? I have also heard it can be quite efficient, but I'm always sceptic about surgery like that...

Satiretto

Hi Laurel :D! *hands over some more topped hot chocolate with added marshmallows ”“ you can never have too much of that* I love patchouli, it makes me happy. Some people find it too heavy, but I think it's wonderful. But I like lots of different scents ”“ citrusy ones as well as heavier ones with amber or frankincense. It's fun to choose a scent according to my mood :-).

Laurel

*sips hot chocolate, getting a marshmallow mushtash* MMMM good.

My friend's by-pass went well. She has lost 91 pounds since she had it in February. She looks great. She's down to 189 pounds her goal being 180. She eats like a bird, a quarter sandwich is a meal for her. Cheap date for her husband though LOL.

I have to buy my Patchouli (thanks for the spelling) online. I know that here in Boston there must be some stores that sell it, but since I can't get out on my own and with money I can't look. There's an online site called Patchouli Garden I buy from. I like the smell of frankincense also. I can't wait for a time when I can burn sweetgrass as well as have the oils and scents I want.

Treefox

I'm just having the greatest desire to burn something nice-smelling. *goes to get some insence*
I still got some wonderful joss sticks from Japan.

[quote:aec7e6a4e9]My friend's by-pass went well. She has lost 91 pounds since she had it in February. She looks great. She's down to 189 pounds her goal being 180. She eats like a bird, a quarter sandwich is a meal for her. [/quote:aec7e6a4e9]

Wow, that's quite amazing! Losing 91 pounds is incredible. So she keeps on eating just very little? I couldn't do it...

[quote:aec7e6a4e9]Cheap date for her husband though LOL. [/quote:aec7e6a4e9]

Grin

Laurel

What is joss? I can't burn incense, or candles at home, becuase the Star Wars stuff might get smokey (God how I hate that stuff, the SW that is)

She can eat more, but it would expand her stomach making it thinner and more suseptable to tearing, so she is good. She has to take all kinds of vitamine suplements and drink protein drinks too. I coudln't do it. There are also certain foods she isn't allowed to eat any longer, the ones that don't digest, like corn. If she drinks alcohol she will be drunk in only one glass of wine.

I need to lose 20 pounds around the middle, I need will power to not eat all the candy that circulates in the office, and to not go to the Store 24 and buy Little Debbie snacks (400 + calories in one snack) I'm so looking forward to the weather being warmer and being able to walk at lunch, I want that to become part of my daily routine.

*Stuffs big handfull of marshmallows in mouth* Its nice I can stuff my face with sweets here and not gain weight.

KirthelastGo-Back

Well, with you folks talking about gastric bypasses, I have to toss in a word of caution here.

There are two women among the seven reporters at my paper. (Actually, for now there's one - the other left yesterday.) The female reporter who's remaining had a gastric bypass done about 20 months ago because of near-morbid obesity, and has since lost something on the order of 120 pounds (perhaps 50 kilos?). Sounds great - except it's come with side effects, especially on her spine, which never properly got used to bearing less weight. She's had a disk surgically worked on and several painkiller injections, and even if she does everything right she'll likely have at least soreness in the back forever.

Granted, it's still a big improvement over the place she was headed (not making it to age 45), but the point is that having the gastric bypass is life-altering, with some costs. So that's why I never discuss it lightly.

She's an optimistic sort, though, and if she were here she'd laugh and joke about it herself. Wink Right now she's eager to get a new driver's license photo, even though the license still has a few more years to run - says she doesn't want to look like an Oompa-Loompa as far as the government is concerned. Grin

Hazelnut cappuccino here, please! :D (Angel, maybe these flavored cappuccinos are more common in the States than Europe? :? Even here, they were rare in the pre-Starbucks era...)

Cheers,
"Kir"

Laurel

I wonder wht it will be like for the people who have had bypasses when they are older? Since your nutritional needs change and your ability to digest foods change, how is not really digesting your food going to affect your body? I agree with you Kir it is not to be taken lightly. My friend is now discovering that when you lose weight that quickly things tend to sag and you get lots of extra skin, that just sounds very unplesant to me.

Treefox

[quote:552d3fc93f]What is joss? I can't burn incense, or candles at home, becuase the Star Wars stuff might get smokey (God how I hate that stuff, the SW that is) [/quote:552d3fc93f]

Well, I thought joss was basically the same as insence. Anyway, you burn it and it smells good. But that you're not allowed to burn it because of that Star Wars stuff is :x !

It sounds like your friend is having quite a hard time! Wow, so much things you have to watch out for. I also have an irritable colon, which is annoying,because most food doesn't agree with me. But there are no real health concerns involved. So I often take the risks of having a really bad stomach ache before I pass on food that I like. I admire your friend's strength.

I hope you'll find a good way for yourself to lose some weight. The slow way is truly often the best. Easily leads to frustration, though (well, diets often do).

Kir, I see what you mean! That's why I said I'm rather sceptical concerning such surgery. But I think it can really help some people. But, as many things, it's not without side effects...
*hands hazelnut cappucino*
Another admirable person who enjoys life besides the trouble she has to go through! Yay!

Btw, I first saw flavored cappucino at Starbucks in Japan, too... :roll:

KirthelastGo-Back

Quote:
Laurelglow

I wonder wht it will be like for the people who have had bypasses when they are older? Since your nutritional needs change and your ability to digest foods change, how is not really digesting your food going to affect your body? I agree with you Kir it is not to be taken lightly. My friend is now discovering that when you lose weight that quickly things tend to sag and you get lots of extra skin, that just sounds very unplesant to me.

Some bypass patients are so uncomfortable with the extra flesh left behind, they go in for surgery to remove it - which is arguably riskier than the bypass itself. I hear of cases in which the skin removal ITSELF makes the patient 10 pounds lighter! But it carries an infection risk, so you have to find a surgeon who really, really knows what the hell he or she is doing.

Chocolate-dipped biscotti to go with the cappuccino, bitte...

"Kir," struggling to pull myself off the keyboard and on to work...

Laurel

I know about irritable colons, I live with it. If I eat something particularly gassy, like garlic bread, I'm gonna feel it, but oh that garlic bread tastes soooo good going down. Today for lunch I am having 2 slices of left over pizza, not exactly diet food, but free and that is always good.

I learned about Hazelnut cappucino at a convenience store (Store 24) of all places. I think that is where most of my extra weight may have come from too. For like 3 years straight I was drinking a 20 oz cup of it a day. I also think I got my intolerance for caffeine from there too.

Treefox

[quote:efcda9c980]Some bypass patients are so uncomfortable with the extra flesh left behind, they go in for surgery to remove it - which is arguably riskier than the bypass itself. I hear of cases in which the skin removal ITSELF makes the patient 10 pounds lighter! But it carries an infection risk, so you have to find a surgeon who really, really knows what the hell he or she is doing. [/quote:efcda9c980]

*shudders* Sounds rather risky...

[quote:efcda9c980]Chocolate-dipped biscotti to go with the cappuccino, bitte... [/quote:efcda9c980]

Bitte schön! *hands biscotti*

[quote:efcda9c980]I know about irritable colons, I live with it. If I eat something particularly gassy, like garlic bread, I'm gonna feel it, but oh that garlic bread tastes soooo good going down. Today for lunch I am having 2 slices of left over pizza, not exactly diet food, but free and that is always good.
[/quote:efcda9c980]

So you know what I mean. It is somewhat a relief that it's actually not a "real" health problem. Strange that coffee really isn't a problem for me. And I see nothing wrong with leftover pizza! Free food is something I also usually appreciate. I wish I had an oven...

Laurel

I get headaches, really bad ones from too much caffeine, and since I don't really like the taste of coffee, i don't opt out for decaf. Hence hot chocolate, less caffeine much better taste.

My pizza was ok, not great, was just cheese. We don't have an oven here at work just a microwave, which really doesn't do left over pizza justice.

I guess I just don't understand why losing weight has to mean taking so many known and unknown risks with your body. Why not try hypnosis or just plain control and exercise. My friend was really doing well before the surgery, but she wanted a "quick fix"

KirthelastGo-Back

Quote:
Laurelglow

I guess I just don't understand why losing weight has to mean taking so many known and unknown risks with your body. Why not try hypnosis or just plain control and exercise. My friend was really doing well before the surgery, but she wanted a "quick fix"

My colleague had tried every other route, but her metabolism is slow and she'd been laid up in high school with a back problem, from which her weight never caught up. So obvious was the bypass option that the company needed only five days to decide it would pay for it.

I've seen pics of her in her Oompa-Loompa days. Trust me on this one, Laurel; it was a no-brainer.

"Kir"

Treefox

[quote:43590c21d2]I get headaches, really bad ones from too much caffeine, and since I don't really like the taste of coffee, i don't opt out for decaf. Hence hot chocolate, less caffeine much better taste. [/quote:43590c21d2]

Funny, because I get headache without it! Wink I love hot chocolate, too!

[quote:43590c21d2]I guess I just don't understand why losing weight has to mean taking so many known and unknown risks with your body. Why not try hypnosis or just plain control and exercise. My friend was really doing well before the surgery, but she wanted a "quick fix"[/quote:43590c21d2]

I'm really surprised that she got that surgery then! As far as I know, people can only get it here, when there's a real health risk involved with their overweight. Or you probably can pay it yourself...don't know how much that would be. Ah, those ailments of civilization... I guess I'm more of the plain control and exercise people.

[quote:43590c21d2]My colleague had tried every other route, but her metabolism is slow and she'd been laid up in high school with a back problem, from which her weight never caught up. So obvious was the bypass option that the company needed only five days to decide it would pay for it. [/quote:43590c21d2]

Oh, so the company pays in such cases? But I guess it's really good that she got it then!

KirthelastGo-Back

Checking out again, Tree. Give my regards to Satiretto when she returns, OK? :)

*tips 10 euros, even though the place is free* Wink

Laurel

My friend was not as dire as Kirs. She found a Dr. who would recommend it as a solution, thereby her insurance would cover it. He is also recommending that the surgery to tighten the skin on her back is a necessity. She says her back hurts because of the extra skin. I can understand real medical emergenies, but hers was/is not.

I I drink coffee each day, by the 5th I will get a really bad headache, much like a migrain and it will continue until I haven't had coffee for at least 2 to 3 days. It seems like hot chocolate nor chocolate candy has enough caffiene to cause the same problem.

Tee Hee, I really am working even though I appear to be spending all my time here.

Treefox

Kir, I will surely tell her!
Thanks for the tip! Highly appreciated! :D

Laurel, that kind of doctors does scare me sometimes... And now also tighten
her skin? *shudders again* Can't some exercise help with that as well? I'm really not fond of having surgery for every little thing. But, of course, it's her body and she should do with it what she wants.

[quote:572807faa2]I I drink coffee each day, by the 5th I will get a really bad headache, much like a migrain and it will continue until I haven't had coffee for at least 2 to 3 days. It seems like hot chocolate nor chocolate candy has enough caffiene to cause the same problem. [/quote:572807faa2]

The headache lasts that long? Surprised Is there any caffeine in chocolate at all? Would probably further explain my love for it...
So, you can drink coffee up to a certain amount? I mean five cups aren't that bad... I need at least two cups a day. Less and I will get a headache. Goes away as soon as I get some caffeine (doesn't have to be coffee, Coke or whatever with caffeine in it will do as well).

Laurel

Its like I get a build-up in my system then have to wash it out so-to-speak. Yes chocolate has caffeine and most colas and teas too. I can do tea, for a bit longer, so there must be less caffeine in it, but my when I have tea, I have to run to the ladies room frequently. See there is always good reasons to have chocolate, no headaches, not bathroom running, suits me fine. And, I only have 6 fillings in my adult teeth, so I'm not rotting my teeth yet.

No I do not understand having surgery for vanity, if exercise can fix it then I'll do the exercising. My husband joked about a boob job long ago, but I couldn't do that either.

Treefox

[quote:d0e1f8062d] I can do tea, for a bit longer, so there must be less caffeine in it, but my when I have tea, I have to run to the ladies room frequently. [/quote:d0e1f8062d]

Oh yes! Tea does tend to cause that. Even though, coffee tends to do that for me, too. Grin Depends also a bit on what and how much I've eaten.

[quote:d0e1f8062d]See there is always good reasons to have chocolate, no headaches, not bathroom running, suits me fine. [/quote:d0e1f8062d]

Oh, chocolate usually suits me very well! And I always find good reasons to eat it. Just eating my last Easter left-overs. Hm...melty.

[quote:d0e1f8062d]No I do not understand having surgery for vanity, if exercise can fix it then I'll do the exercising.[/quote:d0e1f8062d]

*nods* That's the way I do it! Not easy, but also has lots of positive side effects (when done right).

[quote:d0e1f8062d]My husband joked about a boob job long ago, but I couldn't do that either.[/quote:d0e1f8062d]

Kudos to you for not doing it, Laurel! My sister and my mother both are nurses and I heard some terrible stories... Apart from that, I really don't see the reason.

Laurel

Mmm.... Easter Candy.... I still have 3 chocolate lollipops, and a handful of those little chocolate bunnies, 3 peeps, the head of my big chocolate bunny, 10 tootsie pops. I am going to gain back the 3 pounds I have managed to lose if I eat all that, and some.

Treefox are you at work right now, or home?

I am glad of this room, I have been enjoying talking with you and everyone else, make my workday go much faster. I won't always have days like this with enough time to chat though.

Treefox

Those holidays are dangerous, aren't they? But I enjoy a good chocolate bunny.

[quote:0fe4280dcf]Treefox are you at work right now, or home?[/quote:0fe4280dcf]

As I live in Germany, I'm at home right now. 9:40 pm at the moment.

[quote:0fe4280dcf]I am glad of this room, I have been enjoying talking with you and everyone else, make my workday go much faster. I won't always have days like this with enough time to chat though.[/quote:0fe4280dcf]

Same here! Still, I usually find time to sneak in here and have a little chat or two. I think this forum has truly helped me prevent total brain drain... Sometimes my work can be so boring. It's a bit dangerous spending too much time here (especially during worktime). But I guess I'm already addicted and can't help it.

Flowerstar

Wow, you guys have been busy! Over two pages in the few hours I was away Grin !

Laurel, the translation I found for Hefezopf is yeast bread (which in my opinion just doesn't sound delicious), so no, sadly no chocolate involved (though I guess you could do it with chocolate chips ... hmm, gonna have to try that out sometimes :P ). But I've got a wonderful French chocolate cake as well *hands over some slices* :P .

I think gastric bypasses are scary Surprised . I know for some people it's really helpful, but I don't think I could do it. In Germany, they pay very much attention that it's not done too lightly, I think. There was a guy in the dieting group I once attended who wanted to do a gastric bypass since he was on and off diet all his life long, and he had to prove that he really wanted it by losing weight so he wouldn't have any additional risks because of his weight. (It was interesting because he really didn't look as if he would weigh so much, but then he was huge, 1,90m at least.)
No, no gastric bypass for me, thanks. I prefer to stay away from operations as much as possible.

Hmm, patchouli ... Reminds me that there's still a story waiting for me to be written where patchouli plays a bigger role. It doesn't smell good on me, but I like it.

I just ate my last piece of Easter chocolate (I had only one smaller chocolate bunny) :( . Now I'll have to make do for a while until I can't resist and buy some. After Easter is a dangerous time - so much chocolate that wasn't sold on offer ...

Laurel

Maybe you should add "Scroll addicts".

I'm terrible, if I have a free sec I am here. Wish I had this much free time at home. I did get most of my work done and I feel/hope I am capable of conquering my addiction long enough to do the important things the bosses require :D At least I only come here, I know people who look at 3 or 4 (maybe more) different forums, I could never find the time. Besides, everyone here is so friendly and nice, from what I hear that is a rarity, I don't know if that is true though.

Pretty much time for me to go home, and I'm floating from all the hot chocolate I've drank here.

See you tomorrow. Or, is it already tomorrow in Germany. I'm time dumb I have no idea what time it is in other countries, sorry.

*takes one more hot chocolate to go*

Laurel

Deletes duplicate post

Treefox

ah, I haven't eaten Hefezopf in ages... That makes me hungry again.

I'm very glad you feel comfortable here! I also wouldn't find the time to join any other forum. Too much fun investing my time in this one! :P

KirthelastGo-Back

I'm serious, Lena. I feel totally at ease here, liked here, just as if this "pub" were made of brick and mortar. :D

I'll write you soon, Treefox.

Cheers,
"Kir"
(make mine cinnamon cappuccino this time, thanks!)

Treefox

And I hope that'll you join us one day in a pub made of brick and mortar!
Satiretto and I didn't have a lot of those uncomfortable silence moments, so I think we'd have a good talk or two as well.

Here's your cappuccino. Can't you just smell the cinnamon?

KirthelastGo-Back

Quote:
Treefox

And I hope that'll you join us one day in a pub made of brick and mortar!
Satiretto and I didn't have a lot of those uncomfortable silence moments, so I think we'd have a good talk or two as well.

I guessed that, judging by what you two wrote - and the picture. ;) There's stuff I can't say aloud yet, but I'm trying to make an extended visit there happen sometime in the next three years. And I just sent out a feeler to a certain Forum member who shall remain nameless, seeing if I can get the beginnings of research to this end.

[quote:a2fe28adf8]
Here's your cappuccino. Can't you just smell the cinnamon?[/quote:a2fe28adf8]

Mmmm, ahhhh. Comforting. Transporting, as well; suddenly it's 1993 again and I'm walking the streets near Columbia University again, stepping into Catherine's Hungarian Cafe. :) Thanks so much, Tree!

"Kir," writing friends, putting off sleep...

Satiretto

Good morning! I see you've been busy :D. Here, have some chocolate candy canes I brought from the Dom (a big fun fair that takes place three times a year in Hamburg). I went there with friends yesterday, and we really had a lot of fun. We stuck to the old-fashioned rides like the big swing boat and the chairoplane ”“ a lovely trip down memory lane ;-).

Treefox

Good morning to you! Yes, a lively discussion concerning gastric bypasses has come up.
And you still have that old big swingboat on the Dom? I haven't seen that in ages. I loved it as a kid. I think last time I rode it in Heidepark Soltau. :roll:
Sounds like you truly had a good time.

Satiretto

Yes, and High Ones know why... The music and lights are always getting on my nerves, and at least two thirds of the crowd give me goose bumps (and not the good kind either ;-)). But after three or four rides I notice that big stupid Dom grin on my face ”“ must be the happy childhood memories. Ah, great times :D.

But gastric bypasses scare me, I must admit...

Treefox

My feelings about the Bremer Freimarkt are just the same! I'm not into that big crowds. This time we went quite early and it wasn't so crowded yet. That was really nice. I love a good ride!

And gastric bypasses scare me, too! I think it's a good alternative for people who need it for health reasons. But doing it because of beauty reasons...just feels wrong to me.

KirthelastGo-Back

*frinks the last of his cinnamon cappuccino*

Tree, Satiretto, I've been thinking about the gastric-bypass issue. And upon further review, the tummy tuck that often follows the bypass - when abdominal flesh has been permanently stretched by all that fat - I now think is a legitimate move, for health reasons.

My newspaper colleague - the reporter who had the bypass and lost 120 pounds - and I both watched a Discovery Channel documentary, "The 600-Pound Woman," about a morbidly obese patient who dropped into the low 200s after surgery. The flesh surgeons removed totaled 25 pounds in all... but the real issue to them was its effect on her body. The "flap" unbalanced her spine, causing her pain and threatening to slip a disk later. It also was a constant risk for fungus and skin infections, which are not of course fatal but could do their part to grind a person's health down.

I now think if a person has a very difficult bypass operation, they shouldn't roll the dice with more surgery. But if said patient comes through the first procedure well, the second one - while seemingly "cosmetic" can do them much good in the long run.

It all has more resonance to yours truly, since I have great respect for this woman. She is friendly, decent and upstanding in her unpretentious, humorous way, and if her bypass gives her the chance to help that many more people, more power to her.

OK. Must head for home (read: BED!) now, my two friends. Laying off the caffeine makes me tired late at night... for a change. Wink But you're both great to be around. :hug2:

Cheers,
Howard
(wanting to bring a rip-snortin' Oregon microbrew into the club - a keg to accompany the German varieties on tap)

Satiretto

Quote:
Treefox

And gastric bypasses scare me, too! I think it's a good alternative for people who need it for health reasons. But doing it because of beauty reasons... just feels wrong to me.

Same here. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but to me unnecessary surgery feels like tempting fate somehow.

On a lighter note, I smell like an educated werewolf today ;-).

Good night, Kir. Sleep well!

Badger

*stumbles in*

Hello, now I'd like to have a ginger ale and a chainsaw, please.

Treefox

I can serve you the Ginger Ale, but I'd have to plunder my cellar for that chainsaw. Give me a couple of hours.

Satiretto

Chainsaw, chainsaw... I could swear I saw it a couple of days ago. *joins the search*

Badger

Oh sure, as long as it is a working machine.

NEXT PAGE