ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

How has Elfquest pushed you to be more creative yourself?

Mkal

When I was just 12 back in 1982, I was going to make a science fiction/fantasy home movie with my friends. That idea was shelved because of divorce and my relocating to another state. I had then decided to write the story in a novel form. Then, I happened upon the graphic novels in 1983 and realized I could tell my story in another format. Then, when the anthologies came out, I decided to go back to the novel and from that, I would go to a graphic novel adaptation.

I have had days when I sit at either in front of my sketchbook or notebook that I wonder why I do what I do and should I even bother. Then I think about what Wendy and Richard did and what obstacles they faced and overcame and it gives me that push to move on with that story that began in the woods behind my house so many years ago.

Has anyone else felt that way?

Heather

It does give me inspiration. While I am not an artist or writer, I am creative in other ways. As I look at how Wendy and Richard worked over the years to make their vision come to life, it reminds me that if you have something you are truly passionate about, regardless of the stumbling blocks you may face, you have to keep working towards them.

Mkal

Heather said: it reminds me that if you have something you are truly passionate about, regardless of the stumbling blocks you may face, you have to keep working towards them.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Tamarien ChangeStone

ELFQUEST has become my favored tool for learning MYKAL. Even in College I used the characters heads for my cartoon class, Petalwing for my 3D class, and I made a collage out of all the pictures of Timmain for an assignment (*sob* I unwittingly cut up my "good" copy of Graphic Novel # 4. The one were her eyes Are amber to match Nightfall's) Still looking to replace that one. Silly me !

ElfQuest has been a source of inspiration when I no longer wished to draw - and it has become an obsession in my sculpting forays.

It would be fair to say that I might never have continued to draw after age 24 if it hadn't been for the wonder and magic of the WoTM's universe. And that would have been sadness indeedly!

PCoquelin

Not really more creative, here, but far more open.

It all comes from my very first encounter with Elfquest. I was 17 and an extremely avid reader (since childhood) and I was in a comic shop in Paris that was specialized into US imports (know that here, in France, we have had a HUGE access to a multitude of European comics, but it was rather difficult to find US comics and graphic novels, back in the 80s').

Then I found a strange-looking issue (was OQ #3) and I simply picked it up and began reading, as for many other US comics found in that shop. After only a few pages I was like "That's for kids.." and I put the issue back and stepped away.

And I suddenly thought: "WHAT-DID-I-JUST-READ!?"...
And I went back, I picked it up again, and really paid attention to both the art and the story.

From this exact moment on, I could not stop collecting each and every issue of Elfquest, and this and what Elfquest is all about taught me to get past first read, first feelings, and to explore more. Far more.

Tam

In short, yes. Like many others, Elfquest is what sparked my desire to learn to draw. As a child, I filled many a notebook with portrait and scene reproductions, from either tracing or simply using a page as a reference. I was largely self-taught; I took art classes, but they were more...supervisory than anything. I would draw, someone would look at it, but not give much in terms of guidance. I certainly drew more than Elfquest, but that was always my favorite topic.

When I was 13, I started drawing at a studio, trying to create a portfolio to get into art school. Once again, it was run by people who were more like supervisors than teachers, but in this realm, the criticism was less than constructive. As others in my group pumped out piece after piece, I remained stuck on this one...a drawing of a dragon, using a statue as reference. I was obsessed with getting every detail represented correctly, and I never learned how to sketch; I started with the outline and filled in details from there (and that is still how I draw to this day). One day, the woman who supervised my group decided to tell me that if I couldn't draw faster, and "right," that I would never get in to art school.

I stopped drawing for years. I'm trying to get back in to it, but it's hard...her voice still echoes in my head when I try. Elfquest remains my #1 motivation for learning...wanting so badly to be able to draw my own characters. My "teacher's" voice has gotten weaker, but it is still...holding me back.

Mkal

Tamarien ChangeStone said: It would be fair to say that I might never have continued to draw after age 24 if it hadn't been for the wonder and magic of the WoTM's universe. And that would have been sadness indeedly!

I am glad that you continued with your talent!

Mkal

Tam said: I stopped drawing for years. I'm trying to get back in to it, but it's hard...her voice still echoes in my head when I try. Elfquest remains my #1 motivation for learning...wanting so badly to be able to draw my own characters. My "teacher's" voice has gotten weaker, but it is still...holding me back.

Let her voice go. People like that have no business molding young minds. Be free to express yourself in your own way.

Mkal

PCoquelin said: Not really more creative, here, but far more open.

Being more open is just as important as creativity

Tam

Mkal said: Let her voice go. People like that have no business molding young minds. Be free to express yourself in your own way.

Thanks. <3 I'm tryin' real hard. Just those three sentences of encouragement make me all kinds of teary, so...it's definitely still a tender spot, but trying to be gentle with myself about it instead of berating.

Night_Tanem

Elfquest not only enhanced my creativity (when I was 5 well before I discovered Elfquest teachers already wanted me to go to art school) but it saved my life more than once just like my grandmother.

I'm not claiming to be a great artist but I know I can draw more than a circle and some lines to draw a person. I can't even read comics that are popular here like "Suske & Wiske" just because the drawings aren't pretty enough. No offence to the ones that like those...

I don't believe in god like my grandparents did or in Allah like my parents and most brothers and sisters do. Instead I hope fiercely that when one dies he/she goes where he/she really wants to be and for me that would be somewhere on the world of two moons in a time close to that of the Original Quest. How beautiful it must be to be an elf, living in harmony with nature instead of destroying it... I've created my own character just in case that dreams could come true.

marinayurk

Beautifully! Dreams come
true, and thoughts are
material. The Universe is
huge, in it surely there
will be a planet with 2
moon. So after death we
are born on our planet. :)

MrsGrizzley

Elfquest is half of my heritage. As a writer, as a human being in many ways, ElfQuest is my maternal influence.

From ElfQuest I learned the power of characterization. The influence of the "little things" in a story, like the way the ropes spelled out XXX on the side of the jug of Dreamberry Wine.

From ElfQuest I learned how families were SUPPOSED to work. Not with fear, but with love.

I learned so much of Love from ElfQuest that it feels ever so much more Christian to me than some of the madness that is propagated in the name of the Son of Man.

Everything that I am, that I will ever be, ElfQuest helped me become better than I was, and for that I am forever grateful.

Mkal

MrsGrizzley said: From ElfQuest I learned how families were SUPPOSED to work. Not with fear, but with love.

That is something that I have used in my own writing. Love is more than sex and Family is deeper than just blood.

Mkal

Tam said: but trying to be gentle with myself about it instead of berating.

That is all any of us can do... <3

marinayurk

EQ moves people on
creativity. Creativity - a
good cause. Pini, I think,
will write a plus in
heavens. I have some
ideas about EQ, but they
are connected with
drawing, and I am not
able to draw. It is
possible to take, for
example, a glass vase
(simple, without drawing,
smooth) and to depict
the dancing our elves.
The batic, is such
creativity. Ceramics, that
is molding. It is possible
to learn everything, of
course. But drawing isn't
given me.

Startear

Elfqest taught me how to be critical of things, but also that it does not matter if you are special or not. You are always loved.