He's the character I based
my name on, I thought of him and
how I would be called in his place.
So this is to my "brother" Two-Edge.

PCoquelin

HEH ! HEH ! HEH !

HEH ! HEH ! HEH !

Trollbabe

I would like to know if it is possible for Two-edge, Patron Saint of Engineering, to father offspring if he is essentially a hybrid.

Nowth

He might just be a self-shaper, or possess all of Winnowill's abilities in potential. He just seems to reject them, not entirely unsurprisingly.

Satiretto

Interesting question, Trollbabe! It would depend on elfin/trollish genetics, I'd say - as far as I recall, not all hybrids are sterile, it depends on the number of chromosomes they have. Uneven numbers lead to infertility because they muck up the formation of germ cells. But I might be mistaken, after all, it's been quite some time since I last dealt with genetics (14 years, methinks :roll:...).

Nowth

But can we think of Two-Edge as a hybrid in that sense when it took magic to make him? Wouldn't it be Winnowill's decision, then - or potentially Two-Edge's if he is, indeed, a 'shaper'? This is a story where "wolf blood" can be "cleansed"; how does that translate to genetics? I suppose it's "science fantasy" and does not run on poetry alone but... okay, I've never dealt with genetics in any way.

Leanan

There's only one way to find out... :twisted:

*shoves Two-Edge into a cave with Queen Drub*

If this doesn't work, we'll need an elf volunteer... :P

Trollbabe

Leanan wrote:

"*shoves Two-Edge into a cave with Queen Drub*"

I think you forgot some of the essentials of courtship. Moonflowers? A nice box of assorted chocolate-covered lichens? Concert tickets?

We are a little more sophisticated than you Elves, after all.

Alana

[quote:538ff7dbe1="Trollbabe"]Leanan wrote:

"*shoves Two-Edge into a cave with Queen Drub*"

I think you forgot some of the essentials of courtship. Moonflowers? A nice box of assorted chocolate-covered lichens? Concert tickets?

We are a little more sophisticated than you Elves, after all.[/quote:538ff7dbe1]

Haha, I like you.

I like the trolls. I would love a troll-centric mini-series. Two-Edge is one of the best trolls, I'd love to see his life up to the quest covered. There was an illustration somewhere of Two-Edge making weapons in an above-ground cave (there was a window leading out to snow) that always captured my imagination...anyone have that picture?

ulmtwen

Two-Edge is totally the best character Wendy ever invented. The way she kept him so consistent yet developed the reader's knowledge of him so slowly in little pieces and then finally he evolved into the most interesting personality in EQ. He was amazing in Reunion. Well, Reunion was amazing itself, but Two-Edge was the best part of it.

lilpunkin

[quote:8983f3f227="Alana"]

I like the trolls. I would love a troll-centric mini-series. Two-Edge is one of the best trolls, I'd love to see his life up to the quest covered. [b:8983f3f227]There was an illustration somewhere of Two-Edge making weapons in an above-ground cave[/b:8983f3f227] (there was a window leading out to snow) that always captured my imagination...anyone have that picture?[/quote:8983f3f227]

That would be in the original Quest when Cutter and Skywise were captured by Picknose and they exchanged stories. One of the stories involved Two-Edge, and it does have that scene where he was making weapons with a snowy background. I could check into that, but unfortunately, I just moved and my books were packed.

Two Edge happens to be my fave character...something about him that's almost human-like, that desire to be loved for what he is. I'm sure it resonates in each of us looking for acceptance and love.

Suzene

So far as Two-Edge reproducing, I think it's possible.

I heard somewhere once that glass is actually a liquid that moves so very slowly that it appears to be solid. Whether that's true or not, that's how I tend to think of elven genetics when it comes to Recognition. On a very basic level, I think the elves genetically self-shape in response to their environment -- that's how you could get elves of smaller stature, say or darker skin in a relatively quick amount of time from an evolutionary standpoint. It's also how I think two elves can be near each other all their lives without so much as a sniff of attraction or reproductive potential, then WHAM! Recognition -- the two genetic patterns that will produce the best cubs just happen to match up at that point and the old biological imperative kicks in.

Since the tale of his self-shaping from one of the New Blood specials seems to be canon now and he can manipulate his form, I'd say it'd be possible for Two-Edge to sire a cub or two...maybe even induce Recognition with Venka. It'd be interesting to see.

Suzene

Leanan

On a totally different track of thought...

Two-Edge is still playerless in Blue Mountain.... eventually, I'm probably going to play him myself if no-one else volunteers. Being pipolar, he was one of my rolemodels... the path for me will always be the middle one, no matter what the preacher's say... I belong in the Twilight kingdom, forever, amen.

Trollbabe

The Wolfriders are a wolf-Elf crossbreed, and they are able to breed with each other and with other Elves. That's why I think it would be possible for Two-Edge to have children, which makes me wonder, why haven't any shown up yet?

Siwan

Quote:
PCoquelin

HEH ! HEH ! HEH !
  HEH ! HEH ! HEH !

could I use that avi (if it isn't reserved)

Minouche

How strange. He is as nuts and dangerous as his mother, yet is is likeable. Maybe the troll-elf blend makes him as confused and schizoid as the usual human being and make us able to relate to him even when we hate the pain he causes the elves?

innie

Maybe that's because we all know he's the victim of child abuse. That his mind has been raped by his own mother since he was a child, and that it's no wonder his mind is now twisted and sick. He hates Winnowill. He loves her. And now she's gone.
He has struggled his whole life between his two sides, because he has learned to despise who he is. The elves pretty much got it all together.
Maybe he reminds us of our own strugglings.
He's a genious, and he's a frightened child that never knew love.

Spoilers for Shards

I think it's a wonderful and sad image to see him caressing his mother's hair, after her head had been chopped of. The despair in his eyes...

Minouche

Ditto

cactus

[quote:58ec89a0df]There was an illustration somewhere of Two-Edge making weapons in an above-ground cave (there was a window leading out to snow) that always captured my imagination...anyone have that picture?[/quote:58ec89a0df]
Oh, I think I know which one you mean :D . I've always thought that it's really facinating. And he actually looks a bit more sane and content there than he usually does.

This one?

[quote:58ec89a0df]I think it's a wonderful and sad image to see him caressing his mother's hair, after her head had been chopped of. The despair in his eyes...[/quote:58ec89a0df]
*snif*
Poor Two Edge :( .

Nowth

("So meet we finally, build-master"? Whee, I can read... uhm... Norwegian, it is?)

I gather Winnowill is to blame for his troll-elf-blend being confusing... he may have been "whole" until she killed his father in front of him - until she locked him in a thorny cage for her games, "rats and spiders"... she made him insane, on purpose; it has something to do with keeping her secrets from Voll somehow...

It's not the blood alone, is it?

Aldar

Quote:
Nowth

("So meet we finally, build-master"? Whee, I can read... uhm... Norwegian, it is?)

Danish.

cactus

(Yup, danish. But it's very similar to norwegian though. The only difference is that we would have written "møtes" instead of "mødes". Oh, and in norwegian bygmester would have had an extra g :D .)

And yes, Winnowill made him insane :( . Poor guy. I wonder how he would have been if she hadn't messed with him.

Satiretto

[quote:7cf684475e]I think it's a wonderful and sad image to see him caressing his mother's hair, after her head had been chopped of. The despair in his eyes...[/quote:7cf684475e]

It was that scene that made me finally break my vow to never ever write fanfiction. Two-Edge's obsession with his mother's hair was just too intriguing, I guess. *shrugs* To me he always seemed to have just enough happy memories of his early life to make him so torn between loving and hating her.

Gazelle

OH I, loved that fic, Satir! You whould post it here!

Satiretto

It's still there for the world to see in the June Monthly Theme thread ;-):

Mother's Hair

Lady_Door

I could see him taking a lock of her long hair and keeping it as a momento to caress to remind him that she is in fact dead and no longer tormenting him.

Gweedough

Always interesting, the "not-right-in-the-head" folk... Plus, he's like an abused puppy. You want to protect and nurture him, but know he could turn on a dime and bite your toes off.

PAQMAN67

)Two-Edge is definitely oine of my favorite characters in EQ. He's definitely to Cutter, what the Joker character is to Batman!!! They have great interactions!!! Anyhoo.... I hope MamaElf brings back Two-Edge along with Aroree (Uber Elf Sylph Babe! :twisted: ) and Venka (cool, colected, Uber-babe elf Wink I have pictures of Beauty & The Beast TV series dancing in my head with a Two-Edge/Venka relationship...if you throw in Aroree..my twisted and sick mind has other types of "Adult films" that come to mind... 8) :twisted:

Allura

Two-Edge is certainly one of my fav characters. (so is Venka, whaddya know?) And I'm saddened that it's so difficult to find good pics of him online.

Poor guy. I'm sure Venka and Aroree will treat him fine, but I wonder how the Go-backs will...

Trollbabe

[quote:c880cf500e="PAQMAN67"]) I have pictures of Beauty & The Beast TV series dancing in my head with a Two-Edge/Venka relationship...[/quote:c880cf500e]

Yes, Ron Perlman would be perfect for the part. Would even persuade me to forgive him for his part in that cheesy "Desparation" TV movie.

Re: Bars in the picture of Two-Edge working: I can only guess that this scene is in Blue Mountain, and unless one of the rock-shapers did it, Two-Edge would have created those bars and similar ones for Stronbow's cage.

Nowth

[quote:d9987e1bd4="Trollbabe"]Re: Bars in the picture of Two-Edge working: I can only guess that this scene is in Blue Mountain, and unless one of the rock-shapers did it, Two-Edge would have created those bars and similar ones for Stronbow's cage.[/quote:d9987e1bd4]I thought it was a stylistic element he picked up in memory of Winnowill, who probably put him in just such a cage. A sign of his past holding him captive still. In his Frozen Mountains "headquarters", he's had a statue of hers behind bars like these, I think.

Nowth

"Hah! Catch me now, Master Smith!"

He knows what they think, knows they expect him to replay that other game - drooling, brooding, muttering.

But the game is over, his mind a windswept, trackless snow-waste and inconsolable howling. No more rhymes set the pace, no fate-forging fires chase shadow-thorns across her statue. His pawns have swept him off the board.

Two-Edge takes the Gatekeeper, then sets it down with a clink. He ponders his next move, but it's the past that has him. He wants to throw back his massive head, sound centuries of churning anguish... but the rules forbid it.

"How ugly you are."

She isn't. She is perfect. She moves like a lazy cat. He is lying sprawled across her bed now, every limb a sack of dead, wet sand.

She runs her fingers down his ears: his treacherous, pointed ears. It barely hurts this time.

"Did I do well, mother?"

"You are a mistake, my son", she whispers. "We'll make sure it won't happen again. Won't we, you and me?"

"No more rats and spiders?"

She sighs, exasperated. "You don't know what's good for you."

"Two-Edge?" Ekuar is concerned. "It's your turn, half-troll."

JadeOwl

*pets Nowth-kitty* So beautiful and sad.... Surprised

Satiretto

Very beautiful indeed.

Treefox

It is so sad... :( Wonderfully done.

Nowth

Thank you, people~

krwordgazer

Very well done, Nowth. So sad.

LadyArill

(Clutches Two Edge to her chest)
Gah! Blast that twice cursed snake of a mother of yours! Blast her! She did not deserve to have a child! Nowth...that was beautiful and...it made my heart ache. If only I could go back in time and kidnap little Two Egde before his mother hurt him...

Trollbabe

[quote:fc749c9a7e="Lady Arill"](Clutches Two Edge to her chest)
.... If only I could go back in time and kidnap little Two Egde before his mother hurt him...[/quote:fc749c9a7e]

And take him where?

On the general topic of characters not quite right in the head, I would not be surprised if someone has done a thesis on mental illness among EQ characters. Two-Edge would be one. Among humans, there were at least two instances of senility of some sort. One was Little Patch from "Hidden Years", and the other was the old man who arrived with his family at the Sun Village in the original Quest series, and died soon after. Among Elves, the Wolfriders sometimes refer to "Two-Spear's madness." Then there are Winnowill's entranced Gliders. Abnormal psychology makes for good fiction.

Songflower

Trollbabe, of course this is not exactly the thread topic, but just to continue your thought, IMHO Dodia is a good example of mental problems in an EQ character. So would be Winnowill. I would also say Mekda, who was treated so cruelly she lost her mind completely. Also, I'd say Aroree has or had depression. Strongbow, too, had a depression which was cured. Door certainly had mental problems. Zey strikes me as psychopathic, and so do the Djun and his son, as well as some of the human characters in the Forevergreen. Gifa was certainly twisted up by her family. I think that if Willowgreen were examined closely a case might be made for mental problems there.

Yeah, I think there's a paper to be written about mental problems in EQ, definitely, and it should start with Two-Edge (well, really it should start with Winnowill) but definitely not end there...

Trollbabe

Two-Edge is often shown wearing some kind of woven material secured with a belt. It reminds me of Hercules or some other Greco-Roman figure, but it's not quite a toga. I wonder if it's an actual cut-and-sewn garment, or just a length of material, wrapped and secured. (Kind of like a "Braveheart" kilt, only vertical.)

BTW there is a website, intotheaetherworld.com, that includes a picture of the offspring of Two-Edge and an elf.

Willowspring

[quote:a5958b458c="Trollbabe"]BTW there is a website, intotheaetherworld.com, that includes a picture of the offspring of Two-Edge and an elf.[/quote:a5958b458c]

i love that pic. Brightmetal is awesome... i've read the whole series ^^ kudo's to Wingthing

krwordgazer

The story of how Two-Edge became friends with Ekuar:

Thaw

krwordgazer

Here's a new, short fanfic-- a gentle moment in the life of Two-Edge:

Master Smith's Moment

willderbeast

I love both your Two-Edge stories, krwordgazer, particularly "Thaw". Very much how I'd imagine things would've gone right after the poor little guy had his nervous breakdown there in the palace.

*Gives Two-Edge a big 'ol warm, fuzzy bearhug (during which he hollers in protest before going limp in acquiescence).*

Embala

Decided to bring this here, too :)

Colored Moods of Two-Edge

and the bigger version of a banner following this theme

willderbeast

Those collages are delightful. We see a lot of characters in pain throughout ElfQuest, but there's something about seeing Two-Edge in the throes of despair that just rips my heart out. Sadly (and as your collages show) whenever he smiles it's usually over something rather unpleasant. As I see it, that's less his fault and more his mother's sick legacy than anything else.
Hopefully someday ElfMother will see fit to give him something nice to smile about, whether it be with a love/lifemate or simply the feeling of being around others who respect and appreciate him for his good qualities. He certainly couldn't be with a better bunch of folks -- Venka, Aroree and even the Go-Backs -- to teach him about that.

Willowspring

oh i wish twoedge would recongize... that would be so awesome

faeriegirl

I wish Leetah would finish his healing... although he wouldn't be the same anymore... but still...

Embala

Quote:
willderbeast

Those collages are delightful. We see a lot of characters in pain throughout ElfQuest, but there's something about seeing Two-Edge in the throes of despair that just rips my heart out ...

Maybe it's because he is ALONE. Each other character in despair has friends to pick him/her up when down, friends who offer comfort and support ... if not right now then sooner or later.

Two-Edge is alone with his despair - alone for hundreds ... thousands of years. And the only person who is supposed to support him, whose love he's seaking still - is his worst enemy ... his mother. Maybe he's getting a chance of friendship by his current companions.

I wish healing for him, dreaming of love and Recognition - hoping for some peace and happiness at least.

And - thank you very much for liking the collages :D

krwordgazer

I love that collage, Embala! I like the way you center it all around that image in the center of the moment when he went mad. It's really poignant that way-- and so true. Everything Two-Edge is, centers around that moment.

Wilderbeast, so glad you like my two Two-Edge stories. :D

Embala

Thank you, krwordgazer ... you know, often your comment makes me learn more about my own collages than I've realized myself :oops: Most of them are made by "feeling" much more than by "planning". When the feeling is right it's ready ... without thinking much about the result. Wonder whether this happens to others, too ...

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

[Deleted User]

Lovely collage, Embala! I agree with krwordgazer's earlier comment about the setting. Very poignant.

And Two-Edge's one of the most interesting characthers in EQ for me just because of his duality. And I said in some other thread already(forgot where) that it'd be neat to see fanfiction where where Aroree, Venka and Two-Edge become threesome- the setting is intriguing: two "broken" and lost elves/halves and one calm, collected one in between, maybe serving as a bridge or glue to hold them all together?
Too bad I'm not good with words. If someone ever writes this kind of fanfic, pm to me and let me know! :)

TrollHammer

[quote:288fa85f01="Leanan"]On a totally different track of thought...

Two-Edge is still playerless in Blue Mountain.... eventually, I'm probably going to play him myself if no-one else volunteers. [/quote:288fa85f01]

I realize this is an old post, but to what 'playing' are you refering?

As to writing, I'm writing a Two-Edge story, though its hard to say how far out it is or if it will include romance. Since Two Edge is the character that I feel most akin to in EQ, I have a lot to write about. However as I just had a son of my own i must concider...

If I am most like Two Edge (mother twisted me, find release in machines),
and I married a Healer (of minds, no less!)
What will our son become?!? :?

willderbeast

Hello there, [b:b7270d7924]TrollHammer[/b:b7270d7924] (cool name)!

[quote:b7270d7924="TrollHammer"][quote:b7270d7924="Leanan"]On a totally different track of thought...
Two-Edge is still playerless in Blue Mountain.... eventually, I'm probably going to play him myself if no-one else volunteers. [/quote:b7270d7924]
I realize this is an old post, but to what 'playing' are you refering?[/quote:b7270d7924]
I do believe this is referring to a role-playing forum called "Blue Mountain," referred to by [b:b7270d7924]Leanan[/b:b7270d7924] here: [url]http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3355&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15[/url]
The actual link to their forum is here:
[url]http://bluemountain.atspace.com/[/url]
It kinda looks like fun and if I wasn't so insular, I'd be of half a mind to join in although I don't know if it's still a going concern or not. [b:b7270d7924]Leanan[/b:b7270d7924] might have the scoop on that.

[quote:b7270d7924="TrollHammer"]As to writing, I'm writing a Two-Edge story, though its hard to say how far out it is or if it will include romance. Since Two Edge is the character that I feel most akin to in EQ, I have a lot to write about.[/quote:b7270d7924]
Two-Edge is my personal favourite character and I totally dig reading stories about the little guy. Bring it on!

[quote:b7270d7924="TrollHammer"]If I am most like Two Edge (mother twisted me, find release in machines),
What will our son become?!? :?[/quote:b7270d7924]
I couldn't hazard a guess, but I'll wager a bet that in all likelihood that whatever he chooses to become he'll be quite happy and well-adjusted in whichever path life takes him :) .

TrollHammer

[quote:2d8b4cd9ae="willderbeast"]...kinda looks like fun and if I wasn't so insular, I'd be of [b:2d8b4cd9ae]half a mind[/b:2d8b4cd9ae] to join in...[/quote:2d8b4cd9ae]

Funny choice of words here... :roflmao:

Thanks for the encouragement!

willderbeast

[quote:de2ce7d41d="TrollHammer"][quote:de2ce7d41d="willderbeast"]...kinda looks like fun and if I wasn't so insular, I'd be of [b:de2ce7d41d]half a mind[/b:de2ce7d41d] to join in...[/quote:de2ce7d41d]

Funny choice of words here... :roflmao:[/quote:de2ce7d41d]
It would certainly explain my sudden desire to grow my beard out, colour it white and take up blacksmithing Grin

Vojira

Two-Edge is one of my favorite characters. He's fascinating to watch.

Startear

When I read ElfQuest for the very first time, this was the only scene which sent shivers down my spine. It was in black and white, and I thought it was better that way than this. This is great of course, but I used to think the other was better. Sadly I can no longer say if that is the case, because all of my ElfQuest albums were sold.

Trollbabe

Two-Edge's personality is shaped by a legacy of child abuse, and the loss of his father at his mother's hand. It's doubtful that the Gliders, other than pre-comatose Door, knew he even existed when he was growing up. Certainly Voll would not have tolerated the boy's mistreatment and isolation.

A discussion in the Forest Dweller's holt has led me to ask, what if Two-Edge had been raised by his father's people? Obviously, Winnowill would not have allowed this. Two-Edge was one of her experiments, not the random result of a love affair. Two-Edge's father had to die because he betrayed her, although I suspect he lived long enough to teach his son at least the basic principles of metal-working.

Suppose Winnowill had no interest in her son's life. Smelt might have fled with the boy, and lived long enough to bring him back to the other Trolls. (Or longer - dying would have relieved him of the disgrace and punishment for not bringing back a Rockshaper.) Had Two-Edge been raised by his father, his paternal grandparents, or otherwise among the Trolls, being a highly skilled and innovative metalsmith would make up for the fact that he didn't look like the other mumps.

Yanclae

I understand Two-Edge.

I love the title of this thread "the one who is two".

The most fascinating thing about Two-Edge is, "where does his skill as Master Craftsman (of entire Elfquest series) come from?" The answer is that his perception was mind-raped by "Winno-wicked" so much that the realm of Sending and the World of Two-Moons became completely folded inside-out.

Thus, to him, "the sword is the key". Two-Edge is a direly important character in the series. The name "Two-Edge", you may not agree, also carries a Biblical connotation to the book of Revelations, written by John the Khaldean, whereby it is written "anyonewhosoever shall live by the sword shall die by the sword; this is the faith of the Saints". Alchemically, the sword is symbolic of knowledge that can cut away the lies; one becomes aware of the Universal Law (kharma) when "I cut myself with my 'own' sword."

The Truth has a personality independent to any individual (fictional included); therefore when Two-Edge tries desperately to wage a War in order to discover the Truth of himself, it is the War between the Inner (held by his elf-nature) and the Outer (held by his troll-nature).

That said, it leaves us with little clues to explain the Genuis of Two-Edge's engineering. Although it is well-known that his mother has an black-sending link within his mind, we should look at her existence in the Sending Realm (without body) for clues. And though Two-Edge is male, Winnowill female, at phases of the great elfQuest saga, she appears to dominate his mind in the most masculine way; he receives her thoughts.

Somehow, the "blueprints" that Two-Edge received from the Sending Realm were easily and smoothly employed from his brutish frame.

Yanclae

There is a deep wealth, psychologically speaking, to draw from the identity of Two-Edge, especially from the Original Quest.

Later revealed in other series is the possibility that Rayek and Winnowill are Recognised. Now, this Recognition is the reciprocation of the psychological reality of "the two who is one". Soul-bonds for humans (I know personally), elves, and maybe even trollys speak to the eternal testament of oneness within (the reality of) marriage. This is what happens to the psychological reality (in the Sending Realm) when "I am yours and you is mine".

But Rayek misses this Truth, unfortunately. Rayek is offering himself completely to Winnowill allthewhile. In the Original Quest? Actually, throughout the entire series.

This is so important when one weighs the psychological reality of Rayek & Winnowill's Recognition, to the fact that Two-Edge IMMEDIATELY PERCEIVES RAYEK TO BE HIS MOTHER!

What greater evidence could there be, that Two-Edge has a criss-crossed perception. He once tried to escape the Sending Realm (mother issues).

Now. You must understand how important Two-Edge is, because he equal claim to the Palace of the High Ones. I love you.

Trollbabe

Years ago, on a previous version of Elfquest.com, I believe I was in a chatroom with Elfpop, spinning hogwash about our Troll customs and beliefs. He is such a tolerant fellow! I mentioned one peculiar tradition practiced by a handful of Troll families, of hanging a portrait of Winnowill and baby Two-Edge in their homes.

It's likely that this tradition originated after the crash of the Palace passed from living memory among the Trolls, but long before the Palace Wars. This homage was created by people who knew only that Two-Edge was a master smith, and that he was half Elf on his mother's side. At the time these portraits were painted, neither the artists nor the patrons may have actually seen an Elf. Nor did they have any idea what the mysterious Two-Edge looked like, or who among them could have fathered a child by an Elf.

As result, both the mother and baby boy are depicted as ideals of Trollish beauty, with little more than pointed ears and a paler shade of green skin to distinguish proud Mother Anonymous Elf from her precocious son. Distant or diminutive figures of male Trolls may be squeezed into the background, but they represent metalworkers and miners rather than a father figure. One would almost speculate that the baby arrived by supernatural means.

As a Christian attending art and literature classes in both high school and college, I grew weary of comparisons between one classic character or another with Christ. I guess Buddha, Mohammed and Krishna didn't rate as high with the elbow-patch constituency. There's a great deal more to it than somebody dying as atonement for the sins of others, but that part of the Gospel seems to be sufficient for the creative mind.

Thus it didn't surprise me when one Troll historian told me that Two-Edge is the Troll culture's answer to the sacrificial Christ. Granted, she was speaking with an understanding of the Scroll of Colors not possible among those who originated the Troll Madonna tradition. But she was also speaking over a fabulous lunch prepared for faculty members, to which I was granted access, so I didn't belabor the point. Seriously, have you tried cavern caramel cake with fungus fudge sauce? Go easy on the slug stir-fry and leave room for it.

I mentioned in one of my early posts that Dr. Verbena is a tenured professor at Old Maggoty Institute. (I also mentioned that human professors have little trouble getting tenure, since fifty or sixty years is nothing to Trolls.) As a human, she offers refreshing insights into aspects of Troll culture and tradition that Trolls might overlook. So I was intrigued by her reasons for the birth of Two-Edge.

The ancestors of the Trolls had good reason to rebel against the High Ones. Their methods, however, caused tragedy and considerable hardship for the High Ones and their descendents. In the eyes of the Elves, someone had to atone for this injustice. It fell upon Two-Edge to be born of both races, and to suffer as a punishment for the sins of his Troll ancestors.

Winnowill offers a sharp contrast to the innocent virgin and loving mother depicted in human portraits of the Christian Madonna. But she is of pure, honest and consistent evil, not the adulterated or conflicted evil of Rayek or Tyldak, for example. This makes her a perfect choice for the mother of one who is born to be sacrificed. Unlike Saint Mary, the Christian Madonna, Winnowill does not complicate her role by feeling empathy for her son.

By giving birth to Two-Edge in secret, Winnowill creates a candidate for sacrifice who will not be missed by any tribe or kingdom. In suffering the murder of his father, the taunts and tortures of his mother, and the isolation of much of his life, Two-Edge experiences the pain of the High Ones' losses and exile. Thanks to Winnowill, the Troll race is redeemed for crimes its ancestors committed against the High Ones.

Again, this is Doctor Verbena's speculation. Who can truly fathom Winnowill's motives? The vast majority of Trolls don't believe they ever owed the Elves anything, while a few insist that they owe the Elves the dignity of being marinated overnight in cooking sherry. (Trust me, you want to stick to the left side of the buffet table.)

Embala

Surprising view indeed!

... wonders how deep you are really involved in Troll culture for such unique thoughts, Trollbabe

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Startear

I read this 07.30 in the morning without coffee.

Then I went to do some things.

I read it again when it was done.

And the awesomeness of it all just sunk in.

Wow.

Trollbabe

Thank you, Startear! I have way too much time on my hands.

Embala, when I first showed up on the "Scroll of Colors" seven years ago, I wrote posts about Troll culture, mostly from my own imagination.

Startear

I to much time on my hands too. I just lack things to fill it properly for more than a few hours or a day if I'm lucky.

Embala

Your imagination, it's complexity and detailed realism, is amazing, Trollbabe.

Trollbabe

Thank you! I thought it was more of a mental disorder.

Startear

Quote:
I wish Leetah would finish his healing... although he wouldn't be the same anymore... but still...

Isn't that quite the paradox when dealing with people with mental illness'? We say that we want them to be healed, but in reality most people don't want the person to change. Which comes with healing, no matter how you look at it.

TrollHammer

I guess I lost the subscription for this thread in the site switchover, and missed another wonderful post by Trollbabe among other things. Well, thats solved now.

Might have something to add here in the next.month, hopefully...

Trollbabe

Please, do help me enlighten everyone on the superiority of Troll culture.

TrollHammer

Trying to find a way to help them understand... But you know how it is. Perhaps there would be some way to put things into perspective? XD

Gee, whatever shall we do? I dont like being misunderstood.

TrollHammer

Hey, had a thought while looking at that image of him with the window behind: it was in Picky's recounting of Two Edge telling him about the key in New Moon.

Seems to me that this is Picky's idealization and mental image of what Two Edge would likely have around him, Picky's view of what Two Edge might be. Of course, being a comic, the illustrator had to use a true image of Two Edge to keep from confusing people later, but the setting is fabricated by Picky's fabrication of what Two Edge should have based on Troll ideals. To Picky, Two Edge should be rich and have many weapons and tools, and he is a mastersmith, so would be doing metalwork... Picknose belives Two Edge to be half Elf and half Troll, and though he visits the trolls, doesnt socialize with them. Therefore, to Picknose, he must be somewhere between the dwellings of the Trolls (underground), and the Elves (above ground), or a mix of both: a cavern that opens with a view of the outside.

Whatcha think?

Trollbabe

That makes sense! We like to picture our idols looking the way we would want to look, living a lifestyle we would want for ourselves. I also suspect many Trolls imagined Two-Edge looking much more Troll-like than Elf-like.

A mid-level dwelling might be necessary if Two-Edge requires more sunlight than does a full-blooded Troll.

Startear

Hm, someone should draw Picky's real interpretation of how he thought the master smith looks like.

TrollHammer

Hope someone does, actually. Therr might be enough description and inferances from commentary to do it. Picky would feel a kinship with Two Edge, and apply mainly troll features, perhaps green skin. Noses are important to Trolls, impressive noses (larger size, preferable shapes) are associated with overall prowess, and Two Edge is accredited with being a metalurgical genious, crafty, wise, though crazy. His nose would be large but perhaps crooked or mishappen somehow? his ears wouldnt have been as pointy, as Picky wasnt sure if it was true that Two Edge's mother was an elf (how would Trolls k.ow anything about two edge that he didnt tell them himself?). As Two Edge is a metalsmith he would be strong, and perhaps scarred or blistered from exposure to the forge fire, as well as perhaps wearing some sort of eye protection. He is also (falsely) attributed with enormous wealth, as he is considered to be powerful and does not have to share with anyone (no king to bow to), but when he does share trinkets to learn from he does not expect payment, therefore rich, therefore much gold and gems, perhaps even in his work clothes. ( he has no need for gold, however, as he does not huy anything or trade. He makes everything himself, gathers food and digs tunnels, so other than for its enherant usefulness he would not have a use for gold or gems.)

Well, gotta go. Had another thought but forgot it.

Trollbabe

Welcome to midlife, Trollhammer! Smile

TrollHammer

Mid life how do you figure? Whats midlife for a Troll? Cant remember that either.

They say the fourth thing to go is your sense of humor.

Trollbabe

They say middle age is when your middle starts showing your age.

When the Palace re-appears, is Picknose old or middle-aged?

Embala

Wendy's "turnaround" of Two-Edge ... last time I've checked I couldn't find this one on the Scroll

Easter EggQuest 2012 reserved for TrollHammer found

TrollHammer

Quote:

They say middle age is when your middle starts showing your age.

When the Palace re-appears, is Picknose old or middle-aged?

As far as the story goes? Middle aged. He is looking a bit more like a "classic" troll king at that point, but had definately not let himself go as Greymung had at that point in his life. I'm guessing Picky would be slightly older than Greymung was when we first saw him, and I'd think perhaps even older than Guttlekraw. Picky might have been young in Fire and Flight, but he's 10,000 years older when the palace returns, and neither king before him was a prototroll, therefore aged less than 10,000 years (had not been around at the time of the crash).

Old Maggoty was concidered old, however, in Wolfrider!, and is now over twice as old when the Palace returns.... so Picky should have a number of years left and should probably be referred to as "middle aged", IMHO.

I guess this brings back up the question of if they should be considered immortal or near-immortal. I say it makes a new catagory: Aging Immortal. It would seem that a true immortal would not age, but if you can live 10,000, 20,000, or more years and all you have to show for it is grey hair, you might as well be considered immortal, I think.

Quote:

Wendy's "turnaround" of Two-Edge ... last time I've checked I couldn't find this one on the Scroll

Thanks for your help, Embala! I misplaced my copy, so i'll see if I can use this one to make a game sprite test.

Embala

One is glad to be of service. Wink

Trollbabe

Submarines were used as far back as the American Civil War, preceded by diving bells. Would Two-Edge develop a functioning submarine, given enough time and resources?

Embala

Give him a reason! ... and he will find time and ressources.

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

RedheadEmber

Hmm... just a random thought about the The One Who Is Two bit:

Perhaps that's what Two-Edge needs; to accept that he 'Is Two'! Instead of, as he's been doing all his immensely long life, going "Am I elf or troll" I'd say that what he needs to is say "I am Two-Edge, and I'm elf and troll!"

lunakat

Hmm... just a random thought about the The One Who Is Two bit:
Perhaps that's what Two-Edge needs; to accept that he 'Is Two'! Instead of, as he's been doing all his immensely long life, going "Am I elf or troll" I'd say that what he needs to is say "I am Two-Edge, and I'm elf and troll!"

I think that is the entire point of his character.

I also think that was also the point of the Wolfriders. They were an example, at the end of the Original Quest, of what it means to achieve a certain level of balance and integration within your self and your identity... while he was an example of failing to achieve it.

Yanclae

Two-Edge may have gone ages and ages not knowing how to send, as elves sent. He received from Winnowill's and perhaps other Gliders' sending, but at first, he could not telepathically communicate. Trolls may be contented inwardly with simple pleasures of sense and mirthfulness, but he had no choice but to bear the full implication of a keen-eyed elfmother who was captive-prisoner inside the mountainous cave of a forlorn and desolate world.

Two-Edge was a chosen victim of the pedigree and its pride. There is a speechless nobility of him, for in the darkness of his troll nature, he trapped the most vivid fantasies that Winnowill lost into the abyss of wonderment.

We must consider the stranded-feeling that Voll and all the Gliders really had. The cave-dwelling feeling of agorophobia does not belie the "too good for this world", the need for revelry that Winnowill possesses. She found her bliss in having a Son.

And though she shunned the material existence on the harmonious worldo of two moons, he was a person who knew intimately its hollow bypaths. What she knew in spirit, Two-Edge manifested in craft. He bestowed the alchemical key of individual destiny on the elf-chieftain with worldly blood.

Every secret that she passed onto Two-Edge would find fruit in metalcraft. The surer Two-Edge's hammer struck, the darker Winnowill's sendings became.

It was not purely natural that Two-Edge himsela could send. His ability must have emerged through a struggle, unlocked by the key of Recognition. I am not sure if Venka's presence evokes Two-Edge's ability to send. He was a true hermit at first and addressed his thoughts impersonally. But he decides eventually: here is a person worth sharing my mind with.

I have so many questions about Two-Edge:

1) If he died, would his soul be equal with of elves and high ones, in the communion palace?

2) What is the greatest jewel that TWo-Edge ever forged?

3) Did Two-Edge make Sun Top's jewel-mirror medallion?

4) How old is Two-Edge when Cutter & Skywise return in eQ#7?

5)

"Two-edge, Patron Saint of Engineering

Two-Edge is totally the best character Wendy ever invented. The way she kept him so consistent yet developed the reader's knowledge of him so slowly in little pieces and then finally he evolved into the most interesting personality in EQ. He was amazing in Reunion. Well, Reunion was amazing itself, but Two-Edge was the best part of it.

He is as nuts and dangerous as his mother, yet is is likeable.

he's the victim of child abuse. his mind has been raped by his own mother since he was a child, and that it's no wonder his mind is now twisted and sick. Two-Edge is alone with his despair - alone for hundreds ... thousands of years. And the only person who is supposed to support him, whose love he's seaking still - is his worst enemy ... his mother. the loss of his father at his mother's hand..

Two-Edge was one of her experiments, not the random result of a love affair.

the setting is intriguing: two "broken" and lost elves/halves and one calm, collected one in between, maybe serving as a bridge or glue to hold them all together

If I am most like Two Edge (mother twisted me, find release in machines),

What will our son become?!? :?

Two Edge is the character that I feel most akin to in EQ. grow my beard out, colour it white and take up blacksmithing"

Trollbabe

lunakat said
I think that is the entire point of his character.... he was an example of failing to achieve it.

Your comparison to the Wolfriders really makes me think. I remember Timmain revealing herself as a High One, and explaining to the Wolfriders that they have every right to exist in Abode.

Two-Edge is an eample of what makes Elfquest characters so three-dimensional. Two-Edge is a highly-functioning mechanical genius, who is emotionally dysfunctional. He is capable of both good and evil. His inner conflict isn't resolved in two panels.

RedheadEmber

They really ought to make a Two-Edge mini series!

Trollbabe

They really ought to make a Two-Edge mini series!

I agree! You just gave me had the funniest thought: Two-Edge posing on the cover of his own mini-series, in the same poses that Kahvi assumed for her covers.

Elwing

And now for the latest entry in the series "separated at birth?" Two-Edge and his only slightly saner human equivalent, Leonardo da Vinci.

Is there a connection? I think there is, Edgy's poses are just so Renaissance sometimes...

Embala

That's great, Elwing! :-bd

tasmonia2000

I am still confused about whether Two-Edge is still alive or not. The recently updated Who's Who is silent on the subject. Can anyone help me out?

Embala

At the End of the SHARDS story arc Two-Edge went with Venka and Aroree on their quest for Kahvi and Tyldak. Their path has not crossed the ongoing story so far but we know by teasers that Venka and Aroree will show up. Looks like whe must wait until the Final Quest takes this path to learn more.

Why do you think he might be dead, tasmonia2000?

tasmonia2000

Hmm now I'm not sure how I got that impression. I thought it happened in a Wavedancers-related issue, maybe something that Reef had said. If he is indeed alive, I am relieved, as he's one of my favorite characters.

Embala

He was definitely alive 8-X and as well as possible three years before the events of DISCOVERY.

I hope to meet him again in the FINAL QUEST with more than a "guest appearance" - he's among my favorites as well.