ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Wolf-Boy. Hunt. Graywolf!

Wrapstuff

I love Graywolf. I love everything about the Wolfrider's misty past and the many things completely lost to time. Graywolf is one of those

He was taunted by the Firstborn for being more wolf than elf and called an accident of birth. He had ticked hair, like a wolf, teeth that were too long, and pointed, yellow eyes, and he was also called hunt, the strange in-between more wolf natured than elf-natured by far.

Though he was twin brother to Owl, and obviously called a far more concentrated wolf-blood to him in the womb, he called Two-Spear brother, for being like himself.

I don't remember who Graywolf Recognized, but you-know-who was born. I don't remember what Graywolf's soul name was either, but he was one of the best characters from the Wolfrider's earlier years.

Embala

Graywolf, how is is pictured in BotC #3 and #4 His soulname is Vrenn.

He recognized Willowgreen, the tribe's healer and livemate of his best friend Two-Spear. They kept the Recognition secret.

I know you are hinting that Kahvi is Graywolf's child of Recognition with Willowgreen and that she lied to her mate about the fathership. But it is confirmed (by Richard or Wendy ... someone will know who and where) that Kahvi IS Two-Spear's daughter indeed. Unhappy
Must confess that I would prefer that she is Graywolf's cub (when she cannot be a badass Go-Back without "special" parantage) - would make for a much more interesting story.

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

When you love the Elves and especially the Wolfriders' wild past you might find it interesting to take a look in the BoTCAL group, Wrapstuff Smile

Startear

Doh! I never thought of checking if there was a thread for this character. Thanks for starting it up! I do like this character, but I feel his wolfside wasn't handled as well as it could, not even in the anthologies.

And again, I don't get the colorist's choice for him. :/

Wrapstuff

Not Kahvi's father? Awwww.

Oh well... Two-Spear is awesome anyway and one of my favorite Chiefs. I wonder who Graywolf's offspring actually was, especially born inside Recognition.

That picture really shows Graywolf is more wolf blooded than elf. Not by too much, but enough. The pure-blooded elves were so cruel to him for it. Graywolf is one of my favorite underrated characters, and I already know about the panel where Cutter is holding two babies in his arms and it says "Never before have twins been born to elf parents of either tribe!" I just assume, and prefer, that it has happened before, due to more concentrations of wolf blood earlier, and lost completely to history and the Now of Wolf Thought. Ember and Suntop are very special and in ways I don't think Graywolf shared with Owl at all.

There was no evidence at all that Owl who was immortal had a bond of any kind with Graywolf, and he certainly wasn't shunned and treated badly by the pure-blooded elves.

That is a story I'd have liked to see, in a contrast to Ember and Suntop. The possibility for interesting stories set in their very different past doesn't diminish them at all. Honestly, I'd prefer it. I'd seen it in fiction before where twins were special because they'd never been born before.

This is one instance where I could imagine the pure-blooded elves, Rellah in particular, considering them a wolf litter and singling out Graywolf in particular as an "accident of birth." Unhappy They were horrible to him, for no reason than how he was born. Unhappy

Embala

Graywolf together with his chosen brother - pretty much three wolves here!