ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Trollbabe

Quote:
I agree. There are too many women who think of other women as their opponents in everything.

A few years ago, there were a couple of movies made from the novels "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." The word "sisterhood" evidently sold a lot of books and movie tickets. I suspect it's because women wanted to escape to a nostalgic or fantasy world in which sisterhood was a serious life value.

Women can accomplish miracles when we work together. Women's suffrage was passed because women worked together. Some of the social ills of the nineteenth century were overcome by groups of concerned women working together. Unfortunately, we compete instead for the favor of men in power. We fail to look out for each other's children or interests.

The other position I see women taking is the victim stance. It seems that everytime we have a critique session in my writing group, at least one woman has written either a fiction or biographical piece about a girl suppressed and abused by male authority.

As I have probably said before, in a typical population, women outnumber men and outlive men. Men are physically stronger, but this difference is devalued by the availability of modern machines and utilities. Our percentage of body fat keeps us alive longer in survival situations. Mothers have sole physical custody of a child for nine months before birth, often determining where the child will be born.

Are women capable of better leadership? Whether it's psychological or cultural, women are generally less aggressive and reckless than men, which is why we pay less for auto insurance. Saleswomen may have better success than men, because of empathy and other skills associated with nurturing. In much of the industrial world, it is legal for women to receive a public education, travel from one country to another, own businesses and property, hold positions in law and medicine, and run for elected office.

I fully expect to get flamed for this, but I believe most of the problems in this world are due to the failure of women to use these advantages to our own benefit, or to help other women.