ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

TrollHammer

The new format of the card game (suprisingly compatible) is based off of the First Edition Star Trek Customizable Card Game. The hope is that, should a person want to, some EQ cards could be more or less played in that game, and vice versa. There are some differences that will be made to make things easier and make them more at home with Elf Quest. This thread will be for discussing and exploring these things. Dont take anything I say as set in stone, Ill be posting my ideas scratchpad style here so they can be debated with others.

The changes I have thought of, looking at simplifying things, leaving more chance, and making things more fair to newcomers that start playing later on are as follows (again, not set in stone):

Elves (and maybe trolls) take two turns for a character to come into play. This is partly to balance their potentially high abilities against the Humans, and the reasoning is that an Elf takes two years to be born, vs the less than a year for Humans.

Dilemmas and artifacts, which used to be placed under each quest location during seeding, will instead be shuffled together and placed in a pile. When a quest is attempted, the number of Dilemmas faced is equal to the number of characters in the Quest Party (the characters attempting the quest, not including Bond Beasts or anything without Cunning). The player attempting the Quest faces an opponent's dilemma first, then one from thier own pile, and so on, alternating until there has been a card delt with for the number of characters attempting the quest. The party faces each dilemma as a group, unless denited on the dilemma.

Doorways will either be thrown out as a card.type, or handled specially. In the ST:CCG, a Doorway card opened up special cards (of all types) that could only be played with the door "open". This mostly allowed for things like "alternate universe" characters to play alongside regular characters, and provided an Achellies Heel" for these cards, as the door could be closed. I understand that phrase-wise there are some parallels in EQ, but the only direct correlation I see is if we force characters to be "of the same time period" and a doorway would open up "timetravel" between periods, or if a Palace doorway would create "timetravel" as a game dynamic, but other than adding confusion and informing the opponent of whats in your deck, I dont see it working out at all. We might include doorways for fanfic characters down the road, perhaps?

As it sets, I think the most enjoyable, least confusing, and most adaptable way to play is to not fix any character to any period. Yes, this may result in Cutter crashlanding with the High Ones at the beginning of 'time", or Rayak popping along with Jink in the future, but thats the fun, right?

More to.come as I think of it. Please look over the (currently incomplete) rule set and the Star Trek rules and see if there is anything you question, want to add, or discuss.