ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

EQ IQ

Arthis

From the old forum [quote:1b5d7444d4]lets quiz eachother. ask a question about an EQ fact and get a responce. if someone diagrees with the answer just refrence the post and correct them.

the goal is to answer the previous question and then create your own.[/quote:1b5d7444d4]

Two elves share a parallel that hurts. Who and how?

(if you don't see where I'm going with that question, I'll give more explanation in a few posts... but try first)

Scouter_

I have absolutely no idea what you mean...but I'm stupid Wink ...so somebody else will probably get it :D

Arthis

No you're not. I turned my question in a weird way (much link a sphinx) to make things... a little bit more difficult.

you'll have to guess twice: guess what the question means, and guess what the answer is. Grin

wishiwaswillow

Voll and Cutter? They were both impaled by troll-made weapons, and in Cutter's vision at the begining of book four, they are impaled by the same weapon. Which I guess means they share more of a perpindicular than a parallel.

daidai

um.... Cutter and Rayak

Arthis

Wishiwaswillow, you've got the point of the question! But I wasn't thinking of Lord Voll and Cutter. ( Damn, that ruins my theory about the parallel/image miror :x )

Two other elves suffered a wound made by the same weapon at the same location on the body... Who, what weapon and what location?

Skywise2

only thing I can think of is that is has to do with Winnowill... probably in Blue Mountain... so... Cutter and Strongbow?

Arthis

no, but you're warmer

Murrin_HighPeak

*Cocks head* Hmmm Winndowell and Rayek?

Arthis

no

try to find what hurts...

jadengems

I'm thinking you are speaking of when Cutter was fighting Winnowill? And Leetah was trying to help? They were both being nailed with her dark thoughts and getting hurt in their mind? But Leetah was able to block it pretty well the first time, so maybe you mean when Winnowill stole Suntop?

ORR...are you talking about Savah and Suntop? They weren't hurt, but trapped?

ORR...well tons of the Wolfriders got nailed with her dark thoughts?

ORRR...wait wait wait...when Winnowill was being shot in the arm, something happened right there...Savah was released and Suntop was released via the light coming from the hole in her psyche!

GAHH!! I know I know this!!

~Gem

Arthis

Well jadengems, you've given so many names, the answer (at least for the 'Who' part) is in the list...

Truelife

location=blue montain. Who= Suntop and Savah. Wepon=Winowill mind. Or the falling. When Leetah fell out of the tangelweed and Winowill fell off the steps the both hurt their thigh

Runningwater

Cutter and Leetah before recognition. Cutter was hurting because he knew that Leetah was refusing, but she was also suffering because she would not let herself bond with Cutter.

krwordgazer

Arthis, I don't think either of the last two guess work, because you're talking about an actual weapon, aren't you?

My question is, is it the exact same weapon, or just the same kind of weapon? Because the only only two elves I can think of who got "wounded" by the eact same weapon are Cutter and Bearclaw both poking themselves in the palm with New Moon. And that's not really a wound.

However, both Kureel and Cutter were hit in the side with an arrow. It's just that they weren't shot by the same bow. Is that what you're looking for?

Arthis

Quote:
krwordgazer

However, both Kureel and Cutter were hit in the side with an arrow. It's just that they weren't shot by the same bow. Is that what you're looking for?

That's what I'm looking for, but I wasn't thinking of Cutter and Kureel...

I know this question is a very subjective one, but the parallel between the two situations is so important (person, situation, weapon, location...) that it seems to me it's something noticeable, and interresting enough to discuss.

I can give one of the two names, but...

jadengems

Well, I'm completely confused and give up on this one. I can think of way too many situations where parallels between hurts can be drawn. I rattled off my list, but gave too many choices to have you pick! So Gah!

~Gem

Truelife

Dose thr Question mean two diferant elves deal with pain in diferant way. While Stoungbow blocked Winowills hurt Cutter inbraced it and let her see the oriagen of thr wolfriders. Two elves hurt with the same wepon.

Arthis

Ok, I've read some very interresting parallel, but not the one I was thinking of.
It's been a little bit long, so tonight (tonight for me, for it is 10:15 AM at the moment in France) I'll give you one name, and tomorrow, if you don't find the other one, the weapon (physical weapon), and the situation, I'll give you the answer.

Think hard!

krwordgazer

:idea: I KNOW this is it! Winnowill in Captives of Blue Mountain is struck in the shoulder with an arrow. Savah in Dream's End (Forevergreen series) is struck in the shoulder with an arrow.

Same situation: the character is in her own home, trying to escape invaders. Mirror images: Savah and Winnowill are often contrasted as opposite images: one the nuturer and helper of her people, the other the controller and manipulator of her people. In each case the character has a source of power that the invaders are trying to get: Winnowill has Suntop and Savah has the Little Palace.

I'm right, aren't I, Arthis?

If so, here's my question:

There are three elf skulls on the pillar of Gotara at the beginning of Book 1. Whose skulls are they? Does the reader find out for sure on all three? If not, why not?

Skywise2

now I havent read the Wolfrider! series, so I only know one of them: Shale, Skywises father.

Shiverbane

Cresent would be one too.

Runningwater

Wouldn't Eyeshigh be the third?

Arthis

BRAVO Krwordgazer :!: :D :!:

You gave all the details I wanted to see!

(+Suntop and the little Place, "objects" of power, and link between the Elves)

Sorry, I'm a little bit late, but I was having dinner with a few friends, if you want to know...

krwordgazer

Thanks, Arthis! Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

That was a stumper-- I racked my brain for days!

Shiverbane & Runningwater are correct: Crescent and Eyes High are two of the three skulls. But the third isn't Shale: Shale was found by Rain and Bearclaw, mourned over, and presumably given to the wolves, according to Wolfrider custom. The third skull was just an old one that the humans dug up somewhere in the forest. Nobody knew whose it was.

Shiverbane and Runningwater can decide which of them asks the next question. . .

Scouter_

Nice, Arthis...that was the most interesting EQ IQ we've had on both boards I think.

Runningwater

I can't really think of a good question.

Shiverbane

Who are Wormwater, Wadsack, and Pusgums?

Runningwater

trolls!!!

Skywise2

more specificaly, the three trolls wich Cutter kills after falling into Two-Edges pit, when Rayek floats him up on the wrong side of the pit.

daidai

Quote:
krwordgazer

:idea: I KNOW this is it! Winnowill in Captives of Blue Mountain is struck in the shoulder with an arrow. Savah in Dream's End (Forevergreen series) is struck in the shoulder with an arrow.

Same situation: the character is in her own home, trying to escape invaders. Mirror images: Savah and Winnowill are often contrasted as opposite images: one the nuturer and helper of her people, the other the controller and manipulator of her people. In each case the character has a source of power that the invaders are trying to get: Winnowill has Suntop and Savah has the Little Palace.

I'm right, aren't I, Arthis?

If so, here's my question:

There are three elf skulls on the pillar of Gotara at the beginning of Book 1. Whose skulls are they? Does the reader find out for sure on all three? If not, why not?

actraly its one is one of the human in place for Eyes High, cresent and a nother Shal was kiled before and they scarfice elfs alive and same as Eyes High

jadengems

actually krwordgazer is right. It's EyesHigh, Crescent, and one dug up from the ground. Go back and read the Manga Wolfrider 1&2 again or the story (which I think is in In All But Blood) where Skywise runs into Taf's brother. Taf was killed, but they didn't keep his skull, they just killed him for punishment.

~Gem

daidai

if you read HY #5 it has the human telling Skywise that his brother was sacrfisted in place for Eyes High

Arthis

Yes, but the 3 skulls are clearly elf-skulls

krwordgazer

Yes, that episode shows that Taf was buried, presumably after the sacrifice was completed.

Does anyone have a new question? :D

Skywise2

tecnically, its my turn, but I dont have any good questions...

krwordgazer

How about we add a rule that if the winner doesn't have a good question, he/she can throw the game open to anyone who does? Ok with you, Skywise?

Skywise2

sure :D

krwordgazer

Ok, here's one: when and where is Cutter when he discovers he has lost his fear of heights?

Adverseria

Eh? I could be very wrong here (basically I'm too lazy to walk over and crack open the books) but I think it was on the bridge of destiny. It happened towards the end of book seven. Leetah has just helped Redlance and Nightfall conceive, and the two of them (Cutter and Leetah) run to the bridge of destiny to have a little fun. Later Cutter stands on the bridge and looks down, and Cutter and Leetah converse that he's lost his fear.
Or I could be wrong and it happened earlier...

LordDarkhan

okay I think its when him and leetah are back on the bridge of destiny after the palace brings them back to the sun village....book 7 I believe.

wishiwaswillow

There was also a moment near the end of book three when when Skywise and Cutter were hanging out on the Gliders' aerie. Skywise notices that Cutter is not afraid to look down. Cutter replies, "My mind's too full for thoughts of fear. I see things so differently now...Everything's changed." Still, this may have been a brief vacation from his phobia, rather than a permenant cure.

krwordgazer

Adversaria & Darkhan are right. If you'll remember, Wishiwaswillow, Cutter was still having considerable problems with fear of heights when he started his ride with Lord Voll, and when crossing the rock bridge Ekuar made in the Palace War. Rayek even gloated about it.

Anyway, does Adversaria or Darkhan have a question?

LordDarkhan

no, i dont have one.....Adverseria?

Adverseria

Doh! Wink
Ok, best I can come up with is: Who are the circle of nine? Name all nine and tell their particular function (each had a particular "job" if you can call it that, name that job).

Truelife

huh? Circle of nine? Don't think I have hard of that.

Arthis

The Circle of nine was a group of coneheads/high ones who "controlled" the Palace before the crash.

Kalil was the motion, propelling them through space
Kalsen was the ship, protecting them through space
Adya was the eyes, choosing where they would go to
Sefra was the time keeper, knowing when they should go to
Aerth was the ears, knowing why they should go
Deir was the balance, giving order to all their choises
Haken was the passion, driving them forward
Gibra was the caution, holding them back
Timmain was the memory, it was her purpose to remember... everything (a living scoll??)

my question : what are the pets Leetah had at the Sun Village?

wishiwaswillow

A cat and a lizard.

When do we first see Skot and Krim?

Arfurido

Hum... Skot is first seen when Leetah heals his thigh during the start of the War with the frosty mountains trolls... and Krim is first seen when the two of them tells Kahvi they have decided to join the wolfriders...?

PCoquelin

Hmmm.. Curious to know if one could not see Skot and Krim in orig. series (#17 "orgy" scene or during the War). Have to re-read it, soon.
I don't remember many Go-Back names being revealed at this time, by the way... And a lot of them died (remember the size of the final funeral heap !)

Adverseria

Hmmm... I'm thinking we saw Skot and Krim at the very beginning or book four. Khavi is dishing out orders and she tells them (ok, let me crack open my book) to sniff around for new tunnels. They are only little drawings, and not detailed at all, so I'm not sure that counts.

wildfire

She yells out their names and you see three elves that obeys her, so I´d say that it counts Wink

Arthis

Wishiwaswillow, we need you to arbitrate 8)

wishiwaswillow

Adversia's answer is the one I was looking for.

BTW, I think Skot may also appear in the pre-war dance. We see an elf who looks suspisciously like him "dancing" with Nightfall. His face is somewhat hidden, so it's hard to say for sure. As far as I can tell, Krim is nowhere to be seen. In fact, I don't think we really see her face until book five.

krwordgazer

Adverseria, do you have a question?

Adverseria

Hmmm...
Who was the first human Leetah ever healed?

Arthis

Geoki, after the fall of BM and Kureel's revenge.

Is it?

Adverseria

Yup! :)

wildfire

What are Olbar called by his tribefolk?

PCoquelin

"Olbar the mountain-tall", if I remember well....
My turn : what are the nicknames of Winnowill ?

wildfire

Gee, there´s many nicks for Winnowill. You mean the ones mentioned in Wolfriders guide? Here is a few of them

Black snake, witch, Lady Venovel, snake, beloved,
There are probably many more...

PCoquelin

That will do ! Had not so many ones in mind !
Anyone a EQ-IQ question ? Ain't any !

wildfire

What are the colours in Rayeks original headband?

Arthis

Yellow, black and red

Who can "predict weather" and how?

Brace

Suntoucher?
I think, he uses his empathy and/or his affinity for the daystar to predict the weather, when to sow, when to harvest.

Adverseria

Tyleet? With the different hues of her hair. If her hair gets flecks of white, it will be an early white cold, and so on...

Arthis

Adverseria is right, sorry Brace ;)

Adverseria

I'm feeling quite braindead at the moment, so if someone has a question, go ahead and ask it! :D

LordDarkhan

is it Trof?

wildfire

Aurek (Egg)?

Arfurido

Quote:
wildfire

Aurek (Egg)?

Has to be!

Nice little poem by the way Wink

LordDarkhan

I dont have another one.. but urs was so good Icetooth, do another

wildfire

Aroree? Or Timmain?

Arthis

Ember (because of "Savah had not seen in ages ")

wildfire

She haven´t seen a "High One" in ages either Wink

wishiwaswillow

Either Leetah or Kahvi.

wishiwaswillow

This is a really intriguing poem, Icetooth!

Hmmm...the only other possibility I can think of is Winnowill.

wishiwaswillow

Regardless of the real answer, I'm curious how other people came up with their answers. Here was my reasoning for each:

Winnowill:
The first verse refers to life before Blue Mountain, when she lived in the woods among the plants and animals. She was "loved close and afar" by humans, whom Savah had not seen in ages. She and the other Gliders had many paths open to them, but they were "tempted" by the path of the High Ones. The only line I'm not sure of is "As fast as the flurries of one's heart."

Leetah:
The first four lines could refer to a flashback in Book two, when Leetah is shown very close to Rayek with some flowers in the forground. Later in life, she "learned to love a lad...running free with the deer" with Cutter. She was "loved close and afar" by Rayek, "whom Savah had not seen in ages." The High Ones tempted her fate when Rayek stole her away to save them. Again, not sure about the "flurries" line.

Kahvi:
The part about learning to love "on the stems of roses" made me think of thorns, and how the Go-Backs seem to deal with pain and hardship in every part of their lives. The connection to running with deer is obvious. The "flurries of one's heart" line finally makes sense! "Flurries" of snow are common in Kahvi's environment, and a fitting metephor for someone as coldhearted as her. She was briefly loved by Rayek, although Savah had only gone without seeing him for seven years at that point. The High Ones tempted the fates of she and the other Go-Backs by drawing them to the Palace.

wishiwaswillow

Wait, that's not the only one I can think of! Dewshine!

Like Winnowill, she learned to love a lad (Scouter) in the forest, where she was free. She was (sort of) loved by Tyldak, who was the same height as Savah; Savah said in book seven that it had been long since she had looked into the eyes of one of equal height. The "eyes that see far and wide" could refer to both Scouter, who could see far, and Tyldak who could presumably see a wide range from his vantage point in the sky. The High Ones tempted their fate when "eyes met eyes" (Dewshine's and Tyldak's).

Arthis

Is she Sleia? (she once was "Running free with the deer" but then, I don't understand the point about Savah)

LordDarkhan

Venka

wildfire

Quote:
IceTooth

Beautiful was she
This young elven lass
Who learned to love a lad
On the stems of roses
Running free with the deer

As fast as the flurries of one's heart
Loved close and afahr
By one whom Savah had not seen in ages

Eyes that see far and wide
Open to all paths and reason
Did the High Ones tempt their fates.

Name this elf!

IceTooth

We´re on a new page, and I thought i´t would be annoying to have to go back to another page all the time Wink

Arfurido

I have no clue why I'm guessing this -- but -- Timmain?!

It was something about the "afahr" and "Savah" lines... and the "High One's fates".....

....eerrr just realised that had already been guessed Wink

Then I really don't know what to suggest... :(

MrsGrizzley

Yun

Mrs. Grizzley

MrsGrizzley

Darn!

wishiwaswillow

Hummer from Pike's story of the strangest Recognition?

The first stanza could refer to the name of Buckthorn, whom she Recognized. Thorns are on the stems of roses, and a buck is a male deer. The last stanza could refer to their Recognition itself. Their Recognition came about because they looked at each other for so long, and it led to a child with sensitive eyes that could "see far and wide." I'm not sure how the second stanza fits, but there may just be some part of the story I'm forgetting.

If I'm still wrong, maybe it is time for a hint.

MrsGrizzley

I still think Skywise is involved in it somewhere since "afahr" doesn't seem to be a typo.

Mrs. Grizzley

shimmercat

Shots in the dark:

Aroree?

Kahvi?

LordDarkhan

who are Hummer and Buckthorn?

Adverseria

I'll let IceTooth go into more detail, but their story was told in Hidden Years #20.

krwordgazer

Ah, I wasn't mistaken in my confusion that the stanzas seemed to be referring to completely different people! The obscure reference to hummer's wings with Aroree-- I was expecting clues based on events, not wordplay. Kudos to Wishiwaswillow! Do you have a question for us?

wishiwaswillow

I really liked those last two. I'm going to let Icetooth go again, unless you're burnt out on poems.

Quote:
IceTooth

My hints were not so strange then...you've really made my day! I know you're probably married, but if you were here I'd kiss you anyway!

I'm not married, but my boyfriend might object. Wink

Arthis

Don't have a riddle, but here's a question for your brains...

In Ahdri's necklace, the elfin tribes are united as symbol. Which symbol does she want to add the day she discovers she is a rockshaper?

wildfire

The Sun Symbol? Or the Palace?

Arthis

One of them is correct...

krwordgazer

It's the Palace-- the story is from the 1993 Summer Special.

New question:

Which of Skywise's three lovemates that he leaves in the Sun Village at the beginning of the first quest, is still interested in him when he finally returns just before the Wolfriders go to the "new land" (Djunsland) in the Palace?

Luna, no fair you answering this one! Grin

Arfurido

Ruffel... if that's her name :)

krwordgazer

Correct, Arfurido! :D Do you have a question?

Arfurido

Awkay -- I might be wrong on this one, but I'm pretty sure I've had it confirmed somewhere in the books --

-- when are we introduced to Zahntee for the very first time?

LordDarkhan

When Leetah is healing him in her home in book one Fire & flight.

NEXT PAGE