ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Chaosium RPG, play it?

telavir

Does anyone here play the Elfquest RPG?

I was gamemaster for a campaign years ago, but my gaming group went their seperate ways and I haven't played a whit since.

Rhionon

Oh yes, ran it, played it, still have a group who get together occasionally to play the EQ RPG, have access to both first and second editions and all the various supplements, not that there were many, ElfWar and the Wavedancers book really being the only two, I think each of the tribes detailed in the Elfbook deserved their own supplement but hey what do I know... the original gm I played with even went as far as creating his own critters for us to chase after etc. Great was and is had here still

telavir

We origninally played the first edition box set, but then I purchased 2nd edition when I found it. I also found the 2 supplements in left-over stock at Chaosium (I got the last Wavedancers book).

The Campaign I ran was called the "Blood of Two Moons." The players had to survive the impact of an asteroid that punched through the crust. I used the Elf War book for Ice Age help. They even helped the local humans. Fun stuff.

Adsartha

I played one session, that was the first and the last, but I think that the game's rules of Chaosium aren't very good and flexible. That makes what could be a wonderful rpg poor and limited. Maybe if a rule's book like those of Whitewolf (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, etc) was adapted to Elfquest it could turn the game to be one of the best ever.

Keysha

My dad used to DM a game between me and a group of friends. He DMed so many series that anything that didn't work out well, he just changed. We played on a regualr basis, three--no four--different games going at once, two of which we eventually merged, (which was inturesting, being that then each of us were playing multiple characters at once...) Eventually we moved, and that ended the game, but I still have the character sheets.

telavir

We should start a list of people's general locations so we could get together and play. I live in San Gabriel, Ca.

Leanan

I don't play RPG's but since this is the only thread you've posted to, telavir
- welcome to the forum!

Btw your avatar is cool - so funny, at first one thinks it's not showing, then that kitty shows up!

Aldar

Welcome! :D

Quote:
Leanan

Btw your avatar is cool - so funny, at first one thinks it's not showing, then that kitty shows up!

Heehee, sure fooled me... :oops:

Tifa

Hi guys!

I actually never heard of this game before, until Adsartha mentioned it to me....
Could anyone put some pictures up here, please??
I am just very curious what to imagine with this.... :)

GuildMaster

I have the second edition book and the elf wars suppliment. I've never gotten to sit down and play it with anyone.

I did a quick search to see if I could find anything online about it.

Here is a review on RPG.Net not saying I agree with everything it says but it is a review nonetheless.
http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_5622.html

Here is a downloadable character generator
http://www.tawmis.com/eqroll/

Here is what came in the box set.

Hope you enjoy! Wink

Tifa

Thanks Guild Master!

By the way, I like your avatar! Two-Edge rocks! :D

GuildMaster

[quote:d62606e943]By the way, I like your avatar! Two-Edge rocks! [/quote:d62606e943]

Thanks, right back at ya! Wink

Starbolt

I've got the orginal box set, the second-edition, and the Wave Dancers suppliment. I've never really got to play it, though. I am using it as a sourse book for my fanfiction, though.

If I could only find the map the came with the game...I keep losing it for some reason...

:?

Oh, well...

CrescentElf

I still play the game as well, I was peeking around and found this thread, :) Awesome other players, I DO still play, and we ran through the scenario with Madcoil, I really don't suggest it *loL* Scary Scary beast that monster is ! LOL

jadestarwolf

[color=red:1c22d9df4e]I tried playing it for a while, but with just me and my mom and my mom not wanting to play any, it's kind of hard to get a good roleplay going with yourself, lol. I do have my mom's 2nd Edition right here and I use it to make characters still, but I haven't been able to use them ever.[/color:1c22d9df4e]

GuildMaster

Tymber,

I say put up the map for download and if it is not ok someone will contact you. Wink

Thallasia

I have the game, but I've never been able to play it since I don't know any EQ fans in my area. :(

GuildMaster

We could play online with dice and everything! We can make characters with this http://www.tawmis.com/eqroll/ or you can make them out of your source book. This is an online dice roller called Irony Games' Dice Server http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html which will give us that “at-the-table” feel! :D

Who's in?

Thallasia

I'm in! :D

Bast

I'd be interested too.

GuildMaster

Cool! 8)

We got 3 people!

Anyone else interested?

Suzene

Me, possibly. I have the Chaosium version, but haven't ever had an occasion to play.

Suzene

GuildMaster

Ok that makes 4! That's a good start! Let's begin making characters and then as more people want to play, we will add them in.

Unless some else wants to, I will GM for us.

You guys can make characters from any of the elf tribes, except sea elves, only becuase if it is not an ocean adventure it is going to make it hard on the sea elf. You may also create a human, troll, or preserver (this last class can be challenging to play).

You may use this webtool http://www.tawmis.com/eqroll/ or you can make them out of your source book.

What do you want to play?

Suzene

I'm leaning toward Sun Villager. What's the setting and time-period we're going to be playing in?

Suzene

GuildMaster

I would like to do an adventure after blue mountian has fallen but the palace is still with the trolls and the gobacks. Your characters will be off exploring the World of Two Moons in search of other tribes and traces of the High Ones. Humans and Trolls can also in the party.

Do you want to be a Sunfolk or one of Dart's Jackwolf Riders?

Suzene

I was thinking more along the lines of straight-on Sun Villager, since the Chaosium game doesn't seem to allow for alternate builds.

Another question - are we looking soley at putting together original characters, or are canon characters allowed too? This seems like the kind of plot that might actually be sparked from Blue Mountain's fall.

Suzene

Goodberry

This all sounds very interesting. If I had the time, I'd offer to play...though I've never ever played a pencil & paper-type RPG before.

GuildMaster

Quote:
Suzene

Another question - are we looking soley at putting together original characters, or are canon characters allowed too? This seems like the kind of plot that might actually be sparked from Blue Mountain's fall.

I would be more comfortable with original characters, only because in an RPG you are going to be put in scenarios where you get to choose your characters actions, and we don't want to get bogged down by "Well, would Cutter do that?", "You're not playing Dewshine like she is in the comics!", etc. With original characters it will free you and me up to be creative.

However, if it is more fun for everyone to play characters from the books, I am willing to be flexible. :)

GuildMaster

Quote:
Goodberry

This all sounds very interesting. If I had the time, I'd offer to play...though I've never ever played a pencil & paper-type RPG before.

A play by post game, will not take the time and dedication that an at home game would.

We can agree on a schedule to accommodate everyone. You don't have to worry about being left behind in the game because you'll know by (insert day or days here) you have to check the thread and your character's response. So if your interested please join in, I think you'll really enjoy it!

Bast

What board are we going to be on ?

Bast

That is excellent work reguardless, Tymber and thank you for the effort you put into it, I think it looks just fine!

Suzene

Quote:
Guild Master

I would be more comfortable with original characters, only because in an RPG you are going to be put in scenarios where you get to choose your characters actions, and we don't want to get bogged down by "Well, would Cutter do that?", "You're not playing Dewshine like she is in the comics!", etc. With original characters it will free you and me up to be creative.

However, if it is more fun for everyone to play characters from the books, I am willing to be flexible. :)

No, no. I prefer OCs too for this sort of thing. I was just checking to see what our options are. :)

I'll see what my schedule looks like after Comicon. I've got a couple of people on my side of things tugging my sleeve to do an Original Quest AU, so I may wind up spread a bit thin.

Suzene

Thallasia

Quote:
Guild Master

Ok that makes 4! That's a good start! Let's begin making characters and then as more people want to play, we will add them in.

Unless some else wants to, I will GM for us.

You guys can make characters from any of the elf tribes, except sea elves, only becuase if it is not an ocean adventure it is going to make it hard on the sea elf. You may also create a human, troll, or preserver (this last class can be challenging to play).

You may use this webtool http://www.tawmis.com/eqroll/ or you can make them out of your source book.

What do you want to play?

Thanks for volunteering for the role of GM!

I'd probably want to play a wolfrider, but I'll sit down with my source book and read through it again before I decide.

I'm really looking forward to this! :D

Bast

Hmm, I am leaning towards either Plainsrunner or Glider, depending on what my options are.

GuildMaster

Quote:
Bast

What board are we going to be on ?

I thought I would start an in-game thread in this forum, once we got our characters. And we can use this thread as the out of game area. Someone stop me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see a rule against it.

GuildMaster

Quote:
Tymber

]Not a bad idea! :D (Or so I would think!) I will do that! It should be up by the end of this week (barring real life things... which seem to spring up all too frequently!) I will post the link here for download when it is up.

Thanks for the map!

GuildMaster

Quote:
Suzene

I'll see what my schedule looks like after Comicon. I've got a couple of people on my side of things tugging my sleeve to do an Original Quest AU, so I may wind up spread a bit thin.

No prob! Just keep us posted.

GuildMaster

Quote:
Thallasia

Thanks for volunteering for the role of GM!

I'd probably want to play a wolfrider, but I'll sit down with my source book and read through it again before I decide.

I'm really looking forward to this! :D

No problem. I like GMing, especially for an excited group of players!

Wolfrider sounds good! You'll need a wolf companion too then!

GuildMaster

Quote:
Bast

Hmm, I am leaning towards either Plainsrunner or Glider, depending on what my options are.

Up to you. I think a glider would be very interesting. You may even talk the GM into giving you a bird to ride. Wink

GuildMaster

Quote:
Tymber

If ye still have room, ya know what - I would love to join the madness! (I would love to go for Wolfrider, hunter type... Strongbow type essentially).

You're in!

GuildMaster

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Before we go any further I would like to take a vote on what "system" of game play you all would like to use.

We can use the chaosium system that is in your EQ the offcial role playing game books or we can use the D20 system that we have for download here http://folk.ntnu.no/havardfa/elfquest/elfquestd20_draft.pdf

If you all want to use Chaosium since we each have the book and the handy online character maker that is fine.

If you all want to use D20 but either don't know the D20 system or are unsure how to make the kind character you want to play. Just tell me your character concept and I can help fit it into the D20 system for you.

The choice is yours, I am capable of running either one.

Thallasia

I don't really have a preference.
I've never actually played the chaosium RPG and I have played some 3rd version D&D, but I don't mind learning a new set of rules.

Bast

Like you I too am capable of running or playing either one, I have a wide lists of systems I am in know on. So if you need help let me know, as far as it stands currently, it is easier to make a d20 character, but I can also roll up a EQ one. So either is fine with me, my question is which would you perfer to run ?

~Bast

GuildMaster

Regardless of which system we end up using, please begin the character “concept” process.

CHARACTER CONCEPT FOR EQ-RPG

Everyone should start to get an idea of the type of character you want to play.

Best place to start is race. You can choose elf, troll, or human.

Once you select a race choose a tribe. Any elf tribe is fine, except sea-elves for this adventure. We may introduce sea-elf characters later.

I haven’t heard any one say human or troll yet. If you select human or troll you may choose any of the known tribes either Olbar's tribe or the Hoan G'Tay Sho. Trolls will either be Holt trolls or Frozen Mountain trolls.

What type of character do you want to be? Warrior or hunter type, someone real stealthy, magic-user like a healer or rock shaper, etc.

Ok, so far we have 4 possible players. These are the players and their character concept as of now, remember up to the point we begin the game you can change what kind of character you want to play.

Suzene as a Sunfolk elf
Goodberry has not mention a character concept yet
Bast as a Glider or Plainsrunner elf
Tymber as a Wolfrider elf (Hunter-type characterized after Strongbow)
Thallasia as a Wolfrider.

LadyNightfall

I'd like to join in, if I may! :)

Mine would be a Wolfrider, female, short and cute (like myself!)

I've never actually PLAYED the Chaosium version, 'tho I own it. Actually, I've only GM'ed it for my kids and a small group of players that used to come over.

(I homeschool my kids... and I use RPG's to work on this... EX: My kids have a list of spelling words, in order to cast a magick spell in the game they have to be able to spell the spelling word that corresponds to the magick.)

Therefore I will keep having to repress myself from uttering the phrase "The DM is Goddess. Do not argue with the DM." and accepting that someone ELSE is the God/dess...

But I'd like to try! :)

GuildMaster

Quote:
Tymber

I say the Chaosim version. Just because you won't have to convert anything over (in terms of encounters and what not).

I just pulled the chaosium verison off the shelf. I like the system, lots of charts! I love charts! So old skool! 8) But, combat and a couple of other mechanics maybe much harder to use in a play by post game.

I think the initial character creation would be harder using D20 but after that it would be much easier.

If it is ok with you guys, I think since so many of us are more familar with D20 that we should go that way.

All in favor....

GuildMaster

Quote:
LadyNightfall

I'd like to join in, if I may! :)

You are in! :D
Ok, so far we have 5 possible players. These are the players and their character concept as of now, remember up to the point we begin the game you can change what kind of character you want to play.

Suzene as a Sunfolk elf
Goodberry has not mention a character concept yet
Bast as a Glider or Plainsrunner elf
Tymber as a Wolfrider elf (Hunter-type characterized after Strongbow)
Thallasia as a Wolfrider elf.
LadyNightfall as a Wolfrider elf

Bast

Here here Guildmaster

Bast

If you should need any help, let me know Tymber I'd be happy to help you.

Suzene

I'm going to have to back out of the game, guys. Sorry, but I've got quite a bit more on my plate than I expected.

Suzene

Thallasia

:( Well, rats. Doncha hate it when life gets in the way of what's really important? ;)
No worries, but let us know if you change your mind, the GM might have us encounter a lone sunvillager along the way. ;)

GuildMaster

[quote:c4aed1897a]No worries, but let us know if you change your mind, the GM might have us encounter a lone sunvillager along the way.[/quote:c4aed1897a]

You never know. :D

GuildMaster

If we don't get started now we never will.

Starshine and Goodberry, we need your character concepts ASAP!

Bast is it going to be Glider or Plainsrunner?

Tymber, Thallasia, & LadyNightfall are all wolfriders.

GuildMaster

Ok let’s roll some stats! You will need four six-sided dice or regular dice. If you do not have dice at home you can use this online dice roller http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html

Everyone roll 4D6 drop the lowest of the four and add together the remaining 3. Do this 6 times. In order record your results next to the follow:

Strength (this is how strong you are)
Dexterity (this is how fast/agile you are)
Constitution (this is how tough you are)
Intelligence (this is how "book" smart you are)
Wisdom (this is how "street" smart/common sense you are)
Charisma (this is how pretty and likeable you are)

Post your results and then I will take you to the next step.

Thallasia

I'd like to play a healer, if that's ok. One who, like Rain, uses herbalism and magic.
So when allocating my die rolls I made the following assumptions:
1) that I can play a healer
2) that magic is controlled by wisdom

If either of my assumptions is wrong, I'll reroll.

Str 9
Dex 12+2 racial bonus = 14
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 15
Cha 15

BTW how do we determine our base armor class and hitpoints, do we just use the stats for elves in the D&D player's handbook for this?

Edit: just reread the draft EQ D20 guide and that says that healer is a prestige class and that you need a wisdom of 16 or more to cast the lowest healing spell. Are we going to stick to that? If so I guess I'll play a hunter with skill points in herbalism until I can become a healer? Or something?

GuildMaster

[quote:6280a9fa93="Thallasia"]I'd like to play a healer, if that's ok. One who, like Rain, uses herbalism and magic.
So when allocating my die rolls I made the following assumptions:
1) that I can play a healer
2) that magic is controlled by wisdom[/quote:6280a9fa93]

For healer, make a elf cleric out of the PHB.

We are going to use the Vitality/ Wounds instead of Hit Points. The Vitality/ Wounds system for magic the way Star Wars D20 handles the force. So certain spells will require so much vitality to cast.

Everyone,

To figure Vitality, it is your CON modifier + your max hit die for your class. i.e. Fighter has a hit die of 1d8 and my troll's con modifier is +3. I have vitality of 11.

To figure Wounds, it is equal to your CON score. i.e. My troll's CON is 15, I have wounds of 15.

Is anyone not familar with how Vitality/ Wounds is used in the game?

Thallasia

[quote:975f58fb3e="Guild Master"]
Is anyone not familar with how Vitality/ Wounds is used in the game?[/quote:975f58fb3e]
Yes, me. I'm really only familiar with the D&D d20 system.
Am I understanding correctly that vitality determines how many spells you can cast and wounds determines how much damage you can take?

Also, are we pretty much going to use the same list of feat and skills that are used in D&D (except of course those that don't translate to the EQ world like certain weapon and armor proficiencies)?

GuildMaster

[quote:9f09b044e6="Thallasia"]Am I understanding correctly that vitality determines how many spells you can cast and wounds determines how much damage you can take?[/quote:9f09b044e6]

Vitality is your characters ability to avoid taking damage (like stamina), and wounds equal how much damage you can take. When you run out of Vitality you are fatigued. Fatigued means you can not run or charge, and is -2 to all strength and dexterity based rolls. You regain 1 Vitality point per character level per hour of resting. You regain 1 Wound point per character level per day of resting. That works the same for all characters.

Now magic-users use their vitality points to use magic. Different things cost different amounts of vitality. For example, sending for a Wolfrider could cost 1 vitality per round, but for an elf like a Sunfolk that can send but hasn’t ever or not in years it could cost up to 3 vitality per round. I can put this into EQ terms, when Leetha does a very difficult healing or several healings in a row she becomes exhausted or fatigued. If we use the standard D&D spells system, then Leetha wouldn’t be exhausted, she would say, “Sorry elf buddies, I have used up all my prepared healing spells for today. Please come again tomorrow.” Not very EQ is it?

Thallasia

Thanks for the explanation, GM.

I think I'll wait to see what others come up with before rerolling my character though...

LadyNightfall

um... I have to agree with Tymber. I'm lost. I play D&D with a 12 yr old and an 8 yr old as part of homeschooling, therefore, it's pretty simplified so that we don't spend hours just doing simple math with the kids.

I also don't see why the Wolfriders... whom send as pretty much a normal part of their lives, would have to have it cost Vitality points when it doesn't appear to affect them in any way. Even in battle they're able to *send*, both mass sending and lock sending, without it affecting their battle or their skills in any way.

In fact, it seems to strengthen them at times. Not neccessarily physically, tho it doesn't weaken them either, but emotionally and spiritually...

Just my thoughts on the sending thing, as for the rest... *watches sanity go rolling merrily away*

GuildMaster

LOL Grin

I'll tell you what, if you guys still want to play a play by post RPG, just post your character concepts. I will create the type of character you describe. You don't have to understand rules, just describe what it is you want your charcter to accomplish and I'll let you know what you have to roll to make it happen. Simple enough?

LadyNightfall

Well, I understand how to roll stats. I also understand racial modifiers, etc. I've rolled up many, MANY canon D&D characters, all 3 editions, in my time.

But we used hit dice and hit points, not vitality/wounds, and several other differences here...

And that still doesn't address my concern about vitality and sending...

GuildMaster

ok, I'm not tell you that it costs wolfriders vitality to send. I was using that as an example of how vitality and magic works. Perhaps it was not the best example.

I am, personally, a fan of the vitality/wounds system especially in regards to magic. That is how I would work the mechanics if I GM. If anyone else would like to step up and GM, I would be more then happy to kick back and play. :)

Thallasia

I have a few more questions.
Does dexterity still determine your ability to avoid being hit?
Do we use the same set of feats and skills as D&D does and to what extent? (I'd asked this before but you hadn't answered me yet)
Does anything other then magic cost vitality points?
How do you determine how much vitality a healing takes? Is it something like 1-5 wound points cost 2 vit., 6-10 wounds costs 4 vit.?
Does the vitality cost of a certain healing decrease as the healer levels up, if so at what rate?

If your still working some of this stuff out, that's ok. I would just really like to know these things when I make my character. :)
I don't like to run into surprises about how my character functions. :)

GuildMaster

[quote:bcf33ff0fb="Thallasia"]Does dexterity still determine your ability to avoid being hit?[/quote:bcf33ff0fb]

Yes, AC (Armor Class) is still determined the same way.

[quote:bcf33ff0fb]Do we use the same set of feats and skills as D&D does and to what extent? (I'd asked this before but you hadn't answered me yet)[/quote:bcf33ff0fb]

Yes, feats and skills are the same. If you want to use a feat from anything other then the core rule book please run it by me first.

[quote:bcf33ff0fb]Does anything other then magic cost vitality points?[/quote:bcf33ff0fb]

NO.

[quote:bcf33ff0fb]How do you determine how much vitality a healing takes? Is it something like 1-5 wound points cost 2 vit., 6-10 wounds costs 4 vit.? [/quote:bcf33ff0fb]

Success at healing is no different then any other skill in D20. You roll a d20 and the higher your score the more you can heal and the more vitality it cost. I will post the chart tonight.

[quote:bcf33ff0fb]Does the vitality cost of a certain healing decrease as the healer levels up, if so at what rate?[/quote:bcf33ff0fb]

No, but as you increase in level you gain vitality so you don't become fatigued as fast.

Suzene

Just a meta-remark...

Tymber, for the stat-buy game, is that for d20 D&D? Because 75 points seems like an awful lot...our games tend to start at 36 if the GM is feeling generous.

Suzene

Moonshards

The original RPG version 2, is limited on the first quest.

I reactualised with original chaosium system and take inside all information publishing by warp (discovery)
I erase the action range

master of Elric RPG (same editor and system of playing) since 20 years old, so I translate to this system (little few modification) the RPG Elfquest.

the particularity of my system : One player play a elf (period prey pacer) and play the wolf of another player. after the fist scenario, the player are enjoy by this particularity and the game.
PS they just don't appreciate to be the hunt by four long teeth tiger.