ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Lettering

Nebulae

Ever since I can remember tracing "Iron Maiden" or "Metallica" I've been a fan of lettering styles. Here are a few meager concepts done on Windows Paint.

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And another...

Nebulae

And yet another...

Nebulae

This one is actually my wife's favorite one (she suggested more separation between the first three letters, so it needs tweaking). My favorites are the first three.

Laurel

I'd have to agree with you, the first three are the ones I like too. Although the fire in the third one reminds me of the holt burning, not a good thing. I like the characters put into the first one.

Nebulae

Quote:
Laurelglow

I'd have to agree with you, the first three are the ones I like too. Although the fire in the third one reminds me of the holt burning, not a good thing. I like the characters put into the first one.

Thank you. 8)
Yeah, "Fire & Flight" was kinda my inspiration for the flaming logo.

Nebulae

And (you guessed it) another...

Laurel

Can I make a small suggestion to this one. The diamond in the middle of the Q, would that work as a sending star?

Nebulae

Quote:
Laurelglow

Can I make a small suggestion to this one. The diamond in the middle of the Q, would that work as a sending star?

Not technically speaking. The reason being that a "sending star" is actually wider than it is long. However, utilizing the Morpheus font places a diamond in the middle as it is. The placement of the diamond made me think of a "sending star", and also prompted the color-scheme, but it's not really right.

Laurel

Ah, ok. I didn't know there were limitations, thanks for clarifying that.

nevaratoiel

The first one is by far the best. :)

Nebulae

Danke. 8)
It's my favorite of the lot as well.

Trollbabe

Article I just found, about the typeface Comic Sans:
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3031622/evidence/the-science-of-comic-sans

RichardPini

No one's brought this up yet...

EQ-font-regular

MrsGrizzley

@RichardPini we kinda didn't know if you'd made the ElfQuest font publicly available or not... for myself... I'd LOVE to be able to use it, but I know that I, at least, thought that it was most likely something that you guys were keeping close tabs on, or something like that.

Are we to understand that the expectation is in error?

RichardPini

MrsGrizzley said: we kinda didn't know if you'd made the ElfQuest font publicly available or not...

We have not, yet. I did not read all the way back in this thread, so I didn't know if it was only about creating stuff, or if it included discussions on form, function, etc. I threw the EQ font into the mix, more as a spur to possible discussion about how it works, looks, reads, than anything else.

MrsGrizzley

Personally, I really *like* the EQ font. I love the way it looks. I will admit that seeing an All Caps Font like that and not getting my eyes blasted in the way that All Caps tends to do is something of a surprise. I'm used to seeing upper and lower case letters to the point that I actually had to look closely to realize that it WAS an All Caps font.

It's brilliantly handled, to be honest. Many kudos to the artist who formulated the font and to ElfMom for having such beautiful penmanship.

RichardPini

Nate Piekos at Blambot - he's the DaVinci of font design.

Rob

Essential reading!

Creating a font from a classic comic

Typographer Nate Piekos describes how he created a 21st-century typeface from a 1980 issue of Elfquest—just in time to begin lettering the comic series' conclusive installment.