ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

A question about colour editions/B&W

Celestial

I'm interested in buying the colour editions of ElfQuest , and I'm not sure which is the Black and White and which is colour. Surprised '

Also I ordered the following book from Amazon -
Fire & Flight (Elfquest Graphic Novels (Warp Paperback)) (Paperback)
[img:062d5ba883]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A66W4QRNL._AA240_.jpg[/img:062d5ba883]

Product details

* Paperback: 176 pages
* Publisher: Warp Graphics (Jan 1999)

Its 1999 made , so I assume its not the old version, but is it coloured at all? =o

Also , which year and by who were the colour versions made?

Thanks for the help ~
Celestial <3

cactus

Hello, and welcome to the forum :D . The one you have posted a pic of there is part of the Reader's collection series, and is in black and white.
You should try [url=http://mira.telepelwen.com/eq/eqlist/graphicnovels/]this page.[/url] It has quite a lot of information regarding the different editions. It also includes pictures of the different covers.

Celestial

Thank you , and thanks so much for the link, it helps so much!! Surprised :oops:

I found two colour editions available (although no the oldest one , unfortunately)

I was wondering if there are samples to each of the book's colouring , and if there isn't , can you reccomend which is better looking?

Complete Elfquest: Fire and Flight Bk. 1 (Paperback) - By Titan Books Ltd (Sep 1988)

Or Elfquest Archives Volume 1 (DC Archive Editions) (Hardcover) DC Comics (Dec 2003)

Also , it said there's a book by Berkley Publishing , reissue , which colouring style does this go by then? =O

Thanks so much for the answer , it helps a lot ^-^

Arthis

Hi and welcome Celestial. I've posted pictures from the book you mentioned somewhere in the "Archives" subforum, for comparison. Let me search it...

That was a quick search, it's still on page 1.

Here's the topic : [url=http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1776]Difference in coloring (huge pics inside)[/url]

faeriegirl

Hey guys,

I've almost completed my Dutch collection of Elfquest (yay!), and I'm planning on collecting the english version.
I was thinking of buying as little single issues as possible, and try to get as much in color as I can.
So, what should I buy?
There's a lot of Reader's Collections, those are all in b/w. But which issues/stories are also reprinted in color?
The Archives cover the whole OQ, right? So I should buy those?
Or better the original 'book 1-4'?

Help would be very much appreciated! Thanks! :hug:

Embala

Color reprints - as far as I know and have Wink

Elfquest Archives Volume 1 -4 (DC Comics) covers the Original Quest
Besides being hardcover they are colored completely new (as seen on DEQ). So they would be a good choice if you want the different color scheme.

Elfquest Book 1 - 4 (Donning) covers the Original Quest as well
- softcover and the coloring used for the Bastei and Carlsen editions.

The Complete Elfquest Book 1 - 8 (Father Tree Press) covers OQ, SaBM and KoBW
- softcover and (mostly) the coloring used for the Bastei and Carlsen editions.

faeriegirl

Thanks!
So if I buy Archives 1-4 and Books 5-8 I should have OQ/SaBM/KotBW covered?
Were there any more books published, or is the rest only in RC?
:hug:

Foxeye

Quote:
Embala

Elfquest Book 1 - 4 (Donning) covers the Original Quest as well
- softcover and the coloring used for the Bastei and Carlsen editions.

FWIW, there is also a hard cover version of these as well. Book four is usually pretty easy to find on Ebay, though I had to fight tooth and claw for book #1. :P

Quote:
faeriegirl

So if I buy Archives 1-4 and Books 5-8 I should have OQ/SaBM/KotBW covered?
Were there any more books published, or is the rest only in RC?

Yes to the first question. As for the second, there are several other color complilations published by Father tree press you could get.

All Wendy:

ElfQuest Hidden Years - gathers together Hidden Years 1-5, the most gorgeous comics wendy has ever drawn. http://www.amazon.com/Elfquest-Hidden-Years-Wendy-Pini/dp/0936861304/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Some Wendy

Rogue's Challenge - Hidden Years 6-9.5 - not all wendy art, but with some real gems in it. A fairly Rayek-central set of stories. http://www.amazon.com/Elfquest-Book-09-Rogues-Challenge/dp/0936861266/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244918804&sr=8-4

The Non Wendy stuff:

New Blood - The first batch of New Blood comics gathered together, including the adorable "Moonshade". Some of it is pretty "ugh", but it's worth mentioning. http://www.amazon.com/Elfquest-New-Blood-Wendy-Pini/dp/0936861312/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Bedtime Stories - ElfQuest "new blood" type stories, but aimed at children. I believe it may contain the looney toons style stuff...I should probably buy it for that reason alone. http://www.amazon.com/Elfquest-Bedtime-Stories-Wendy-Pini/dp/0936861371/ref=pd_sim_b_3

faeriegirl

One additional thing that keeps confusing me: the Graphic novel, are these the above mentioned books or something different?

Foxeye

When I think of Elfquest "The Graphic Novel" I think of books 1-8 (OQ/SaBM/KotBW), as you mention above, because they form one large "novel" (or a trilogy of three novels).

I suppose you could call Discovery and Searcher and the Sword graphic novels as well, but I wouldn't put a "the" in front of them. Just my general opinion, though. They feel more like "further tales" than the heart of the story.

I suspect that Final Quest would deserve a "the", though.

faeriegirl

Yea, I was just wondering if the EQ Graphic Novel series (http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Two-Edge-Elfquest-Graphic-Novel/dp/0936861355/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244966821&sr=1-8)
was just another name for the books. I guess it is. Thanks!

Rainfyre

I know you are looking to get the collected editions, but just in case you prefer color over collections. . .

Issues in color:
Hidden Years 1-29
Shards 1-16
New Blood 1-30 (31-34 in B/W)
Blood of Ten Chiefs 1-20
The Rebels 1-8 (last four in B/W)
Jink 1-7 (last four in B/W)
Wavedancers 1-6 (first miniseries, not collected in the Reader's Collection)

I have found patience and ebay to be the cheapest way to get the issues
For instance, I just picked up Cry from Beyond, Rogue's Challange, and Bedtime Stories for 28 total including shipping.
In some cases it is cheaper to get the single issues. Some times you can grab the whole set of comics for as little as 30 dollars which encompasses several collected issues which can get up there depending on which one it is.
Hope this is helpful.

faeriegirl

Thanks! Maybe it is better to try and grab the single issues for those...
but weren't a few of those also reprinted in color books? Like the Hidden Years? I thought there was a link somewhere on this page...

Rainfyre

Yes, some them are collected. I believe as was mentioned earlier The Hidden Years is comics 1 - 5, and Rogue's Challenge also collects some of the Hidden Years comics though I'm not sure which issues (i think I have that right - someone correct me if I'm wrong).
The Discovery collects the comic series The Discovery 1-4. The Searcher and the Sword and Bedtime Stories are independent stories rather then collectons.

A bunch of new stuff just got posted on ebay when I looked at it today (I try to check perdiocally to snatch up goodies) including some of collected editions and someone selling a complete set of one of the series.

Just remember that some people way overprice and some underprice. The trick is to catch the underpricers.

Foxeye

[quote:fbdb51f7a7="Rainfyre"] Rogue's Challenge also collects some of the Hidden Years comics though I'm not sure which issues .[/quote:fbdb51f7a7]

Yep, it has 6, 7, 8, 9, and 9.5, though not in that order. :)

Rainfyre

:oops:

I'm just going to pretend that I had a sudden fit of blindness combined with a momentary fit of selective amnesia that kept me from noticing this information in your earlier post.

Which was very informative.