- Sunfolk
- Trolls
- Wavedancers
- Wolfriders
Spirit Points
Classes

Suzene

So what is this?

These are the notes from the Elfquest d20 game that I've been poking at off-and-on for a few years now. Every now and again I get a PM asking about progress, and I figure there's enough here now that people can get some use out of it as-is, or use it as a jumping-off point for their own ideas. There's quite a bit, so I'll be posting a few pages at a time until I'm done. Feel free to comment in the meantime.

Why are there so many gaps in the material?

It's still a work-in-progress. Also, I'm not posting some of the terms and feats referenced in the notes because they're lifted directly from Wizards of the Coast or other third-party properties (aka 'splatbooks'), and I don't have permission to reproduce those. I drew heavily from the Star Wars Saga Edition RPG for game mechanics, so having a copy will help a lot in filling in the gaps, as will referring to WotC's 3.5 rules adjustments. Otherwise, feel free to PM me or post in the thread about clarifications and such.

Why is the formatting so weird?

My files are all kept on a wiki owned by a friend, and he'd much prefer if I didn't give out the address for security reasons. As a result, most of this is a copy-paste job from the wiki pages.

Are you going to write up the High Ones/Plains Elves/CatRiders/EQ-type Drow?

I had planned to do the High Ones and the Hunt, but decided against it because in both cases it seemed less a matter of "this is what these would be really good at" and more "this is what these guys lacked". Just take the magical affinity off of the Gliders and close off the Mystic class and they work fine as High Ones. For the Hunt, Wolfrider racial bonuses except make them Medium instead of Small creatures, age them at twice the Wolfrider rate, make Throwback a starting feat, and disallow all feats that allow the use of magic.

For everything else, no. Sorry, generally just not interested (and don't even get me started on cat-elf types).

What about a FutureQuest setting?

Honestly? Pick up the d20 Star Wars Saga Edition RPG; it should work pretty well mechanics-wise. You'd have to replace Force points with Spirit Points, import elves as a player race, allow humans a limited use of sending, and nix Jedi as a player class, but that's all pretty minor and what you get is blasters, rules for droid/robot characters, spaceships and all of that cool stuff.

I can't build Two-Edge using these rules.

Unique creature -- essentially a Troll Smith with Sending.

I can't build Venka using these rules.

Venka is the product of an overly-permissive GM.

I can't build Shards-era Winnowill using these rules.

Shards-era Winnowill is either an epic-level character or a unique monster, I haven't decided which. Either way, not being covered here.

I can't build...

Talk to your GM.

Could you put some more World of Two Moons background in here? Your descriptions are pretty sparse.

I suggest picking up The Wolfrider's Guide to the World of Two Moons and/or the second edition of the Chaosium Elfquest RPG. Both are excellent sources to draw from if you're putting together campaign notes.

Suzene

1. Select a character race. Before building any character, find out from your GM what type of campaign he has in store. Some races may be more difficult to work into the plot narrative than others, or even impossible (imagine trying to play a Wavedancer in the Sun Village).

2. Allot attribute points according to GMs specifications (rolled, point-build, or pre-assigned) and add bonuses or penalties as indicated by the racial template.

3. Choose a class and add skills, hit points, defenses, spirit points, and class features as indicated by the class template.

4. Choose feats and equipment.

5. Finish by adding details: name, age, back-story, etc.

Ability Score

An ability score is the measure of a character's aptitude in regards to six innate characteristics: Strength (STR), Dexterity (DEX), Constitution (CON), Intelligence (INT), Wisdom (WIS), and Charisma (CHA). The higher an ability's score, the higher the associated ability modifier. A character gains +1 to two different ability scores every four levels: at 4th, 8th, 12th, etc.

Strength - Measures a character's sheer physical power. The modifier is added to skills determined by STR and to attack damage.

Dexterity - Measures a character's agility and coordination. The modifier is added to skills determined by DEX, to attack rolls, and, to Reflex Defense.

Constitution - Measures a character's health and stamina. The modifier is added to skills determined by CON, to hit points per level, and to Fortitude Defense.

Intelligence - Measures a character's reasoning ability and memory. The modifier is added to skills determined by INT and to the number of skills a character can start the game trained in.

Wisdom - Measures a character's common sense and awareness. The modifier is added to skills determined by WIS and to Will Defense.

Charisma - Measures a character's force of personality. The modifier is added to skills determined by CHA and spirit points per level.

Skills

A character's score in a particular skill is determined by the modifier attached to the controlling ability, whether or not a character is trained in a skill, and any bonuses added due to race or circumstance. A character trained in a skill receives a +5 bonus to their score in that skill. The number of skills a character begins play with is determined by class and INT modifier. A character also gains +1 to all skills for every two levels he advances.

Defenses

Defenses are determined thusly:

Reflex: 10 + half level + DEX mod + Class Bonus
Fortitude: 10 + half level + CON mod + Class Bonus
Will: 10 + half level + WIS mod + Class Bonus

Hit Points:

Hit points are determined by class. At first level, a character gains the maximum hit points possible: full value of the hit die + CON bonus. At every level thereafter, the character either rolls for hit points, or takes the alternating high/low average of the hit die number per level, depending on the GM's preference for the game. In all cases, the character adds the full CON mod to their hit point total.

Feats:

A character gains a feat at first level and ever three levels after: 3rd, 6th, 9th, etc.

Leveling:

Assigning experience is trickier than in an Elfquest setting than in most, as there's likely going to be less empasis on the D&D style hack-and-slash in most campaigns (not involving Go-Backs *cough*). Nonetheless, here is the XP progression chart for leveling up.

Level Experience Points

1 0
2 1,100
3 3,150
4 6,200
5 10,250
6 15,300
7 21,350
8 28,400
9 36,450
10 45,500
11 55,550
12 66,600
13 78,650
14 91,700
15 105,750
16 120,800
17 136,850
18 153,900
19 171,950
20 191,000

Suzene

So you've got an elf and you've got a history, but are you lacking a name? Here are some suggestions that might help. These are only suggestions; don't feel too constrained by them. Remember, Tyleet is a Wolfrider with an "elfy" name.

Elfy names

These seem to be most popular among Sun Villagers and Gliders. They are rarely longer than three syllables.

So far as the elfin language goes, we haven't got much to work with, only a few translated word-names:

Leet - "healer"

Ah - "light"

Ty - "gift"

Ek - "rock" or "stone"

Shen - "bright" or "shine"

Ray - "child"

The first sound of a name tends to indicate possssion or quality of, so the name "Rayek", for example would be "child of the rocks", not "child rock". Tyleet's name means "gift of the healer" or "healer's gift". The repeated sound in "ShenShen" is possibly for emphasis, so instead of "bright bright", it's probably better to translate it as "very bright" or even "brightly shining".

Info largely gleaned from: http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519

Environmental names

This is a naming convention in which an elf is named after something in his surroundings, such as the weather or time of day when he was born (Nightfall), an animal he resembles in looks or temperment (Lionskin), or even a favored weapon (Pike). This way of naming is most popular among the Wolfriders (for wolves as well as elves), Wavedancers, and Trolls. These names are usually made of two syllables.

Deed names

Deed names, adult names, true names...they all mark an elf who's grown out of the use of his cub name. These are somewhat like enviromental names, but usually harken back to an event of great importance in the elf's life, such as an awakening of magic or a deed worthy of being worked into a howl. Examples of this are Bearclaw (presumably named for his prowess at hunting bear), Treestump (for digging in and standing his ground), One-Eye (named for a terrible injury survived), and Redlance (for getting between his chief and a charging longtooth with a spear). An elf need not take a deed name. Some are comfortable with their names of childhood and most elves keep one name their entire lives - deed names are mostly found among the Wolfriders. Also, an elf may choose to append a deed name as a title instead of trading one identity for another, such as Cutter Kinseeker or Zarhan Fastfire.

Go-Back names

Go-Back names aren't particularly "elfy". They're short, usually rather harsh-sounding to reflect the hard, cold life these elves live, and typically only a syllable or two long.

Examples: Vok, Kahvi, Chot, Yun, Krim, Sust, Skot, Zey, Urda

Soul names

These secret names are exclusive to Wolfriders and their blood and kept tucked away in a safe corner of one's mind. Sometimes, not even a Wolfrider will know his own soulname. Soul names are guarded carefully, for even hearing his soulname spoken carelessly can cause an elf severe mental distress. A powerful sender can attack an elf from afar using his soulname, even to the point of compelling him to do the sender's bidding.

Soul names are small, quiet sounds and usually not more than a syllable long.

Examples: Tam, Fahr, Sohn, Ulm, Twen, Jial

Suzene

The Gliders are decendants of a group of Firstcomers who retreated into the caverns of Blue Mountain to escape the dangers of the world.

Type
Humanoid

Racial Features

Sending: Gliders begin play trained in the Sending skill.

Low-Light Vision: Characters with low-light vision have eyes that are so sensitive to light that they can see twice as far as normal in dim light. Low-light vision is color vision. Characters with low-light vision can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as they can during the day.

Magical Affinity: Certain strains of magic flow more strongly in the Gliders than in the other tribes. A Glider begins play with Floating I, Gliding I, or Rock-Shaping I. A Glider may not take the next step in any one of the above feat trees as a first-level feat.

Sheltered: Gliders keep themselves sequestered from the outside world; as a result, most Gliders are unfamiliar with -- and even repulsed by -- the concept of fighting for survival. Gliders receive a -1 racial penalty to attack and damage rolls when attacking with melee weapons. They are not guaranteed to do any damage to their target, even if one point of damage actually gets through.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Mystic

Language

Automatic Languages: Elf and Troll.

Bonus languages: None.

Common Birthlands

Blue Mountain

Suzene

The Go-Backs are a tribe of elves who dwell in the Frozen Mountains, drawn there by the subtle call of the Palace of the High Ones.

Type

Humanoid

Racial Features

Small Creature: As a Small creature, a Go-Back gains a +1 size bonus to Reflex Defense and a +5 size bonus on Stealth checks, but must also use Small weapons to attack normally. A Go-Back's lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium creature. In addition, a Go-Back's base speed is 20 Feet.

Low-Light Vision: Characters with low-light vision have eyes that are so sensitive to light that they can see twice as far as normal in dim light. Low-light vision is color vision. Characters with low-light vision can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as they can during the day.

Cold Weather Survival: Go-Backs start play with the Cold Weather Survival feat, whether or not they meet the prerequisites.

Battle Born: Go-Backs begin to learn their way around stags and weapons as soon as they're able to walk without falling back on their rumps. All Go-Backs begin play with the Weapon Focus feat and trained in the Ride skill.

Magic Wary: Go Backs breed without Recognition and are distrustful of magic. A Go Back character must take the Awakened Spirit feat before he can take any feat with the 'mystic' descriptor.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Warrior

Language

Common Birthlands

Frozen Mountains

Suzene

Humans are the native inhabitants of the World of Two Moons.

Type

Humanoid

Racial Features

Short-lived: Life on the World of Two Moons can be harsh and short; humans live in the shadow of their own mortality from the day they're born. As a result, there is a great impetus on humans to accomplish as much as possible within the short span of their lives. Humans may take any one feat that they qualify for at 1st level in addition to the normal starting feat for a 1st level character.

Resourceful: Human begin play with one additional trained skill. This skill must come from their class list of available skills.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Hunter

Language

Automatic Languages: Human.

Common Birthlands

Any.

Foxfire

Excellent! Thank you so much for posting! I can’t wait to try it out.

Suzene

Quote:
Foxfire

Excellent! Thank you so much for posting! I can’t wait to try it out.

Thanks. Not nearly done yet, but I should have some more free time later today.

Suzene

The Sunfolk are the decedents of a party of elven nomads who settled in a small oasis in the midst of the Burning Waste.

Type

Humanoid

Racial Features

Small Creature: As a Small creature, Sunfolk gain a +1 size bonus to Reflex Defense and a +5 size bonus on Stealth checks, but must also use Small weapons to attack normally. Sunfolk lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium creature. In addition, Sunfolk base speed is 20 Feet.

Warm Weather Survival: Sunfolk start play with the Warm Weather Survival feat, whether or not they meet the prerequisites.

Adaptable: Sunfolk adjust to new roles with surprising ease, given their sheltered existences -- at first level, they gain Skill Training in any one non-restricted skill not currently offered as an available skill for their class.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Mystic, Hunter, and Warrior

Language

Common Birthlands

Sunfolk Village

Suzene

Trolls are squat, green-skinned humanoids who live in underground kingdoms.

Type

Humanoid

Racial Features

Surefeet: A Troll's base land speed is 20 feet. However, Trolls can move and run at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).

Darkvision: Trolls can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Trolls can function just fine with no light at all.

Sun-Sensitive: Exposure to bright light, such as sunlight, blinds a Troll for one round. Additionally, Trolls suffer a -1 circumstance penalty to all saves, attack rolls, and skill-checks while operating in daylight.

Stone Cunning:This ability grants a Troll a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A Troll who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Perception check as if he were actively searching, and a Troll can use the Perception skill to find stonework traps at DCs higher than 10. A Troll can also naturally intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground to within a few feet. In addition, the Troll gains a +2 Racial bonus on any Knowledge(Engineering) or Perception check related to stone.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Smith

Language

Common Birthlands

Guttlecraw's Kingdom or Frozen Mountains.

Suzene

Wavedancers are the decendents of pure-blooded elves who adapted themselves to life within the seas.

Type

Humanoid

Racial Features

Sending: Wavedancers begin play trained in the Sending skill.

Aquatic: Wavedancers have a swim speed of 30ft. All Wavedancers start play trained in the Swim skill. Wavedancers breathe air as easily as water and can swim a number of hours equal to half their CON score before they must begin making Endurance checks.

Dehydration: Wavedancers are amphibious, but they cannot remain out of water indefinitely. A Wavedancer may remain out of water for a number of hours equal to his CON score, at which point he begins to suffocate painfully, losing one point of CON per hour until he submerges himself in water again, or until he dies. The CON may be regained at the rate of one point per hour spent resting in water or through magical healing.

Battle Shy: The Wavedancers are a shy tribe, and would rather avoid combat if possible. Wavedancers are always considered to have rolled a 1 on Initiative when entering combat and in all rolls to determine the result of a tied Initiative.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Mystic

Language

Common Birthlands

Crest Point

Suzene

Wolfriders are the mortal decendants of Timmorn Yellow-Eyes, he himself the product of a mating between Timmain of the High Ones and a full-blooded wolf.

Type

Humanoid

Racial Features

Small Creature: As a Small creature, a Wolfrider gains a +1 size bonus to Reflex Defense and a +5 size bonus on Stealth checks, but must also use Small weapons to attack normally. A Wolfrider's lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium creature. In addition, a Wolfrider's base speed is 20 Feet.

Sending: Wolfriders begin play trained in the Sending skill.

Soul Name: These secret names are exclusive to those of Timmorn's blood. Soul Names are kept tucked away in a safe corner of one's mind. Sometimes, not even a Wolfrider will know his own Soul Name. Soul Names are guarded carefully, for even hearing his Soul Name spoken carelessly can cause an elf severe mental distress. A powerful sender can attack an elf from afar using his Soul Name, even to the point of compelling him to do the sender's bidding.

Now: Like their animal brethren, Wolfriders live their lives in the immediate present, with little thought to yesteryear or what the next change of seasons might bring. Unless they take the Long Memory feat, Wolfriders cannot take training in Knowledge skills, regardless of what base character classes they may take.

Wolf Blooded: Wolfriders begin play with the Scent ability and meet the prerequisites for the Bondwolf feat.

Proficiencies

None.

Spirit Bonus

Favored Class

Hunter

Language

Aging Effects

Common Birthlands

Temperate woods and plains

Suzene

Spirit points represent the measure of a character's magical or heroic potential. That potential may manifest as a mystic ability or as extraordinary deeds.

At each level, a character gains a number of spirit points equal to racial bonus plus his Charisma (CHA) modifier. If the character has a low enough Charisma that he has an attribute penalty to CHA, he subtracts the penalty from his spirit points gained for that level. He adds this result to the number of spirit points he had before to make up his total number of available spirit points. Unlike hit points, a character does not automatically gain a spirit point at every level.

A character who expends all of his spirit points is fatigued.

Spirit points are recovered at a rate of 1/2 the character's CHA bonus per day of normal activity (walking, light labor) to a minimum of 1. A day of light activity (simple recreation) or rest recovers a number of spirit points equal to the character's CHA bonus. A character recovers no spirit points after a day of strenuous activity (running, hard labor, combat). Spirit Points may not be recovered while a character has the fatigued status.

Uses For Spirit Points

Spirit points are used to power Mystic Abilities.

Spirit points may also be used in conjunction with class features found in the Mystic, Shaman, and Smith classes.

All classes may use spirit points for the following actions:

Attack bonus (+1 per 3 points, max +5) - This is a free action that occurs during the character's turn. All Spirit Points must be spent before the attack roll is resolved.

Damage bonus (+1 per 3 points, max +5) - This is a free action that occurs during the character's turn. All Spirit Points must be spent before the damage roll is resolved. This applies to weapon damage only; using spirit points to increase damage done by alchemical and magical attacks is found under Alchemy and the appropriate mystic feats.

Defense bonus (+1 per 3 points, max +5) - This is a free action that occurs during the character's turn. The character may spend Spirit Points to increase his defenses until the start of his next turn. Each defense must be bolstered individually -- spending three Spirit Points will increase Reflex, Fortitude, or Will Defense by one, not all three. However, all defenses may be increased as part of a single free action if the appropriate amount of Spirit Points are spent to do so. This bonus stacks with bonuses granted by taking a defensive action.

Skill check bonus (+1 per 2 points, max +5) - This is a free action that occurs during the character's turn. The character may spend Spirit Points to increase the result of a single skill check. All Spirit Points must be spent before the skill check is resolved.

Extra partial action (15 points) - At any point during his turn, the character may spend the Spirit Points to gain an additional swift, movement, or standard action.

Stay Alive (1 point) - A character may elect to spend a Spirit Point to keep from dying if a blow takes him below 0 hit points. He may also spend a Spirit Point to automatically succeed at stabilization checks.