ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Holts on the new EQ

Rainy

Just thought I'd point out that with the new EQ setup, you all can now create groups that will allow you to set permissions - this would be IDEAL for Holts to have a presence on EQ itself!

You can set the permissions so that only the members can see the images, forum, events, etc and you can create a private group or a by invite only group as well!

Perhaps one of the categories Richard can have added is a Holt category - so that there could be literal villages of Holt right here on EQ itself!

Just go here to create a group: Create A Group

or here to see what groups exist: Groups on EQ

Just thought folks might find that to be a super-cool feature that not everyone might realize was there or how it could be used! Smile

Tehaar

What an excellent idea! I hope all Holts will make a group for themselves. Thanks for the heads-up, I'm sure most people are still just finding out about all the features so it's good to have someone pointing things out. Grin I know I'm still just figuring things out myself!

Rainy

If needed, I can make a quickie "how to" movie!

Tehaar

That's very helpful of you! I'm just a humble Holt member, so I'll leave it up to the real Holt people to decide whether they need a "how to" or not. Tongue But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have one.

I can't wait for everyone to see the new forums and get all settled in, heehee.

StarShine

This is neat.. maybe we'll have Holts build here and then branch 'out' into the net, or with roots digging deeper and developing Worlds/stories that are ElfQuestian (you know with other groups of High Ones)

Tehaar

No Holts active on official EQ site so far, hmm? I guess many of the Holts are communities of their own and not neccessarily very active elsewhere than their own sites and forums. But I like your thinking, StarShine! Are you a member of any Holts?

Tam

I miss being in a holt so much. Started playing ten years ago, ran my own a year later...I've run a few now. Last one died early last year when all my members could no longer handle posting even a few times a week. And now, when I look at holts, there are still many out there, but so FEW members...holts trying to get started, and only getting three or four people to play. it's just sad.

Tehaar

Well, there are a couple of holts that are so full that they don't even want new members anymore. I suppose those are more active. I'm in one of the small, starting holts with only three or four people playing. Tongue

I agree it's a bit sad if people don't post enough, but I suppose everyone has their real life to attend to. I think I'd prefer posting a few times a week, but I'll make do with what I get, heh.

Tam

Oh certainly, everyone has their real lives...I just was so disappointed, because it was like they didn't even care anymore, and I was the only one who invested time in the game.

And I feel like a total fogey now, looking at the larger holts, because they don't seem to work the way I'm used to...we did yahoo groups when I played as opposed to forums.

*laughs* who knows. Maybe one day, we'll get a new batch of fans. Perhaps some MotRD fans will jump over to EQ?

Tehaar

Oh yeah, I can definitely see how you'd be disappointed. I must say that I'm one of those people who would post several times a day if given the chance! I don't know what MotRD stands for, but a new batch of fans to fill the newly started Holts would be awesome, hehe.

I must say, however, that I'm still getting used to how the RP works in most Holts. To me it looks quite confusing that every game is happening in one single thread with X, Y, Z --> A, B, C markings for who's playing with whom. My current holt is so tiny that there's no such problem so far, be that a good thing or not... Tongue I don't know how Yahoo groups work, but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to. You should try joining a holt, I say!

Tam

Oh, me too...I'm all about multiple times a day :D AND I have a life! Totally doable.

MotRD is Masque of the Red Death. You should totally check it out if you haven't already.

With Yahoo Groups, it was email round-robin, basically. And there were differently-subjected emails for different threads. I guess it wouldn't be all that different, forum-style. But every game in one single thread? That sounds...convoluted.

StarShine

At the moment, not Tehaar. Sadly. Well Elfwest- sort of if that 'counts'. But not any of them as many of them are quite or aren't my play style- at the moment-.

I'd before finding a way to make the holts work, with a round-robin/filter (G-mail is good for this), setting up a filter to catch your character's name in the 'subject' so like = (Attn:Cutter, Leetah Skywise) so that way, a Gmail filter 'catches' said name and marks/high lights the email for you.

I would love to do a a good Other World- High Ones type thing and build from there, like start from the ground up completely. And build the world as we see.. fit.. (ElfQuestian but our own little patch - Oh wow what pun-)

Tehaar

Oh yeah, Masque of the Red Death! I feel silly now. But I haven't read it yet, it's on my to-do list. Smile

StarShine's explanation about the mails made sense, but it only makes sense in e-mails. On forums, I don't know why each game wouldn't have a separate thread, it would seem more handy to me. But maybe it's tradition! I guess it works just fine if you just search your own characters' names in the threads. Just takes some getting used to.

I like the idea of the High One game. And think, if they had no accident with treacherous trolls, their plans could be a success. Or at least they could arrive to any place and time they want!

StarShine

Well I was thinking what for the High One's game, is taking a seperate group of High ones on a world that's 'uninhabbited' (for the sake of arguement as far as they 'know' and see what happens.

Tam

Quote:

Well I was thinking what for the High One's game, is taking a seperate group of High ones on a world that's 'uninhabbited' (for the sake of arguement as far as they 'know' and see what happens.

like a whole reset...land them on an uninhabited world, maybe said world has a different sort of life form that would be perfect for adapting, or some other kind of enemy life form, or something else entirely different(this is why i just play, i'm no good with plot)...that could be cool.

StarShine

Something like that. I think it'd be a primal, wild world... intense, a live... but perhaps other groups of High ones two groups landing on different land massess and having seeing different things in the universe-- one seeing innocent child like beings...

The other seeing the the more violent beings ... i have ideas.

StarShine

Hmm this post is quiet.

Tehaar

It sure is! But if you'd be up to making the Holt you were planning, StarShine, I promise that I'm in! Smile

StarShine

I would love too.. I kinda have an idea.. but its sort of based off of a world I'd come up with... the begining is a bit elfquest-ian...

Tehaar

I think another world is definitely a good idea, it's more interesting RP if there's no original EQ characters involved as playable characters - or their relatives. And it's a handy background story since there were several groups of High Ones going exploring! And at least I love the traditional ElfQuestian stuff, so I'm sure that would be no problem at all, heh.

My only problem might be that I'm not all that good with the High One lore, so I'm not super familiar with what kind of magic and powers they might have. Or what kind of characteristics! I have never found the old elves/High Ones in the comics very sympathetic, they're so solemn and head in the clouds in my experience. Tongue

StarShine

I think the idea is that these High Ones i am thinking of (or the several groups) have been traveling a lot and observing the different worlds looking for a place to settle... and unlike the Abodean High Ones, these elves have kind of gotten in touch with themselves.... (at least a little physical shape isn't as shocking, and I'd say they're begun to recognizing a little bit (maybe minus the imperitive to produce offspring maybe more like the 'Hunger' mentioned n Hidden Years 6 or seven)

So the two groups are the Light (Think WolfRiders,Go Backs, SunFolk,Wave Dancers, Gilders- they love their way of life, know it and und)erstand that change, growth is good.)

And you have the Darklings (Think morel like a band of high ones who've seen humanity & learned that Violence, being gods, much like Haken-- can be very effective.)

Tehaar

Ah, those are very interesting ideas for the High Ones' groups! If each player had at least one character per group, that would also give some interesting and different RP experiences. I think I'm a goodie-good player so I definitely like the Light ones better, but it would also be interesting to play a more of a dark character.

It's a good idea that they have traveled some, so that they aren't quite like the High Ones we know from the comics. I think I'd definitely find them more interesting to RP! And it gives more room for character design - possible to decide whether your character is a more conservative one or all in for adapting into the new world.

So when do we start?! Wink I think it would be possible to set up the Holt here at the EQ forums (maybe as a visible only to members group?) and build the whole thing here, if not on a different forum altogether.

StarShine

I like this idea. Well I'd like to flesh things out a bit more... than just those basic things... I mean basics are ok, but having a few more things to sort of set the tone is a good idea.

Tam

i'm game Smile

Tehaar

Should we make a group for our upcoming Holt and plan more details there? I'm not sure what our Holt would be called, though, so I'll leave that up to you StarShine. Wink You can be the brains, I'll just follow your lead, hehe.

StarShine

I think so.. but plan details here. I have a few names for the light Side... actually I have a small post. Just to give sense of desperation, not quite in the same 'hopeful way the Abodean high ones viewed it... but similarly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here." Said Mensa with a warm tone.

"Here?" another voice responded in the darkness. The stars around them had come back, the enclosed space- light up again.

"How many times have been through this, Malev." answered a brisk voice.

"Everytime you find a place to settle, we leave."

"Shh..." answered a smaller meeker tone. "This place is good."

"Good? Keva..... What do you mean 'good'? You've said that about the last set of worlds and we've always found life their..." Tenab interjected.

"I mean look." Keva gestured with a slender arm to the viewer. It flared a soft white light. "Open grasses, and food animals, the eat the plant life. There's nothing I nor the other's can sense that we could call 'sentient'." Keva added.

"Then our search is over, Keva?" the voices were in unison, a single voice, a single thought, a single feeling resounding through evening the sleeping memembers of the group: Hope.

"Yes. Our Search is over."

---Thus Begins the Light of Hope--

I'd appreciate comments and feedback. And now that we've gotten this far I think perhaps we should make our own thread... so we don't spam up another thread.

Tam

i like it so far Smile lemme know what thread we move to, so i, or anyone else interested, don't have to scrounge the scrolls for it.

also, createables or adoptables? i'm totally down with multiple characters in each side.

StarShine

I'd love to move the thread but what to call it?

And I am thinking of having Adoptables-- at 10 for each side to start- with the 'Labels' to start them off (I.e Haken was the Passion driving is foreward ect. ect)

Each side would have multiple things but its not all they are but its a good 'starting point.' for a character concept. Perhaps each of the sides have collected and modified animals, plants, cultures and such from each world they've visited so they're truely developed in their own way.

StarShine

I Came up with a Title Thread: A Paradise of Light & Shadow (taken from a Vocaloid song- youtube the "A PAradise of Light and Shadow" if you don't know what I mean)

Anyway here's the thread:A Paradise of Light & Shadow: A High Ones Holt

With this new thread please contribute there for the world. Or come up with more information Smile

dewshine_lover_1

I have tried to set up a few holts, but none of them take off, because there isnt anyone available to play. I have tried alot of different ideas...i would love to make a new holt, if i thought anyone would join up.

psychosarah999

I would.

dewshine_lover_1

really? well, maybe i would have to gather some info, and perhaps i could make a new holt. Any ideas?

psychosarah999

My idea was to have a tribe of go backs that had split off from the tribe that Rayek cut off from the palace. They ride snow lions instead of deer though.

If you are interested you can read the details on the group I have called Children of the Banished. You can view it by going to my profile.

Trollbabe

FWIW... I strongly recommend "shopping around" and getting involved in an existing holt. My observation of holts is that fans, and their free time, can get spread pretty thin. Some holts have plenty of creative areas left to develop, as well as a strong enough membership to keep the fun going.

Thanks to Eregyn, a listing of active English-speaking and other holts appears at http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/forum/-41/holt-status-survey-active-inactive-closed-etc-march-2011/page_1/#post519656

(BTW, it would be helpful if anyone involved in these holts would post an update of their status, on a regular basis.)

ElfTanner ihas been working steadily to build participation in "The World of Danen", which includes a wide range of environments and situations. Several characters are available for adoption. This holt can be found at http://theworldofdanen.freeforums.org

dewshine_lover_1

I know about Danen, ElfTanner is my sister lol. We tend to not get along in situations like that, and I prefer to use my own characters, not play ones that are already made up. Good_bad

psychosarah999

That is pretty much what I have been trying to do. I made up my own character with some background and related characters. Two of which have no description except their names, sex and relation to my character.

The other Holts seem so vast. It would be good to start small. creating our own individual characters and then connecting them.

I also would like to do it here on the Elf Quest site instead of a alternate site.
I have created a Holt already, but if someone had ideas I would be willing to change some things.

Trollbabe

Joinign a holt under "Groups" on this website is a good option for fans. There is no separate website to navigate, and the setup is familiar. It's not as complex as an independent website.

StarShine

I'd love to see a holt here on the site as well.

Trollbabe

We have a couple of them, under "Groups."

Trollbabe

Eleven of us were members of the "Forest Dwellers" group, under "Groups" on this website. I was away for a couple of days, and returned to find it gone from my "Groups" list. Yenhei notes that it has disappeared, so I recommended she contact the webmaster. Meanwhile, I suggest we all keep in touch.

Trollbabe

The Forest Dwellers group is back up. If you were a member, you will need to click "Join Group" again.

Tehaar

Who are the green elves in Forest Dwellers?

I like things that are close to canon, so I'll go check out the Children of the Banished! Go Backs were always my second favourite tribe. Tongue

Trollbabe

"Forest Dwellers" is close to canon. There are no green Elves. The pictures are Dollz of the three Troll characters. Cudgel is my character, and you will find her story under "Trollbabe's Tales" for now, in Fanfiction. I think two of the Trolls are still up for adoption.

Tehaar

Oh, trolls! Of course, how silly of me... I just figured they were elves since they looked similar to the elves, but I suppose doll faces are similar... It all makes sense now. :D I'll check out the story, thanks!

Trollbabe

The writing thread is up for Forest Dwellers!