ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Artists: Textures need to be generated...

TrollHammer

Basically, everything that you see in Elf Quest will need to be generated as an image in the game.

This means everything from trees and rocks to characters and animals, from the Father Tree to Blue Mountain, from a game trail in the forest to a mining tunnel underground... everything needs generated.

I'll be making a list here of all the things than need drawn/made. Post if you want to do some particular thing.

I'll use the next post to show examples of pixel art textures and screenshots of the game engine (keep in mind that the screen shots are of the default example game it comes with, not what we are doing. This is to referance the view we are going for.)

Graphics are considered "top down" as far as the game is concerned, but will be drawn "semi-isometric", meaning it will be drawn as though viewed at a high angle above the item, roughly 45 degrees. This way the playing field (map) won't look too distorted as the character moves around on it, but you can still see character's faces.

TrollHammer

Example higher resolution character image sheet. This is the minimum number of images needed to be generated for each character or character type. (north, south, east and west, with one full walk cycle (4x4=16) Keep in mind that this character would be larger than a standard 'grid' size, and therefore large on the screen (also makes the map pretty small, relatively speaking)

Example character image sheet. This is the minimum number of images needed to be generated for each character or character type. (north, south, east and west, with one full walk cycle (4x4=16) (just noticed that this one has a problem, it has the character looking in a couple different directions, which should have added to the total number. for now we won't be adding all the extra actions a character might perform, just keep in mind that if we have Cutter swooping through the trees, there will be at least 12-16 more images for that movement, then if he throws a spear that we can see, another 12-16.... and so on. This is why it will be best if we can make just 2-3 generic males and females of each race, and be able to add hair, clothes, and what not so we don't have such a huge number of images to generate.)

Someone else's test screen. There are errors all over, but it shows what can be done. The house is one graphic, and just a 2d pixel art drawing, not a true 3d building.

Another person's map texture test. Doesn't have anything to do with our game, other that to point out the perspective, and what can be done with it (visualization).

Each tree and rock are seperate images. Each unique angle of the cliff, the surface of the cliff, the floor of the valley.... Each is a unique texture image (though a texture map could be made in such a way as to render a larger image and use parts of it for the various things.)

Here is a link to understand the rules when making textures...

http://www.vbgore.com/Adding_graphics

and here's a link to the map editor wiki, showing what textures might look like...

http://www.vbgore.com/Map_Editor

And here's the main page for all tutorials for the engine:

http://www.vbgore.com/Main_Page

TrollHammer

Well, I'm going with Netgore instead.

This doesn't change much, other than each image or texture is in it's own file instead of a mess of tiles in one file. This simplifies laying them out.

Also, there is a Skeleton Animator/Editor that allows for some far less choppy animation, but it's tricky to make the limb textures to look right. Nice thing is this makes it easier to animate things like Wolves to be more realistic.

Here are a few images. The green troll ones are images I put together to try out the skeleton animator (for now, sidescroll only), and the little wierd Elf creatures are the basic sprites that come with the game for Top-Down.

Sprites are still very small, about 44x54 pixels or so. I'm thinking that Wolves would be wider to be in scale, and humans/highones would be taller.

I'm not sure about when a character mounts/is mounted, such as a wolfrider on a wolf. I think it would be possible to paperdoll a sitting wolfrider sprite on a wolf, or in the animator provide a skelton animation that interacts with a Wolf.

By 'paperdolling' I'm referring to the practice used in the game where one image is placed on top of another image to make a new image on the screen. Most often, it is used for tools and weapons in this game engine, but it could work for clothes or markings (make a mask for the Wolf, so that players can 'customize' their wolf), or even hair.

cometduster

I wish I could help here this is just way to over my head to make.