ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Upload Limits?

Thornbrake

I was just trying to post a picture of Leetah in her Keeping in Character thread, as well as in the Latest Page and Discussion thread for Final Quest, and in both places I get an error message saying that "You've reached your upload limit."

Give that I rarely upload anything here, I feel like something's not working properly. I scanned this Topic and didn't see anything explaining it. Anyone know what's going on?

Oh, I WAS able to post the pic in the feed on my Dashboard page.

Embala

The "upload limit" is ridiculous low - definitely a bug. I'm back to he "old ways" - using photobucket to host my pictures and paste the IMG link into my post on EQ.com.

Thornbrake

Embala said

The "upload limit" is ridiculous low - definitely a bug. I'm back to he "old ways" - useing photobucket to host my pictures and copy past the IMG link into my post on EQ.com.

Boo! That sucks. Ok, I'm going to upload the pick to Tumblr and see if I can insert a link vs upload a file.

Embala

I managed to post the picture of your dancing Leetah in Elfmomn's Sketchbook.

Try:
- upload in the gallery on EQ.com
- choose the size you want to post in the thread
- click RIGHT on the pic
- there should appear something like "copy picture address"
- do so
Go to thread
- paste the link in your post
- add img at the beginning and /img at the end - both in SQUARE brackets

Worked for me.

(I hate my typos!)

Thornbrake

Embala said

I managed to post the pick of your dancing Leetah in Elfmomn's Sketchbook.

Try:
- upload in the gallery on EQ.com
- choose the size you want to post in the thread
- click RIGHT on the pic
- there should appear something like "copy picture address"
- Do so
Go to theres
- pate the link in your post
- add img at the biginning and /img at the end - both in Square brackets

Worked for me.

Wow, thanks. SO much work though. I managed to do it via Tumblr, but it still only appears as an attachment vs. embedded in the post. Next time I'll upload to my gallery here and then post it to the Scroll from there as you suggest.

Embala

The last year I've done hardly anything else but trying to adept to the changes, find out how things work the new ways.
And to run into the bugs - find out how to "bypass" them and remember old ways and discover new tricks to handle them.
And I'm no one who is understanding computers and software well - my knowledge is very rudimentary.

Besides this I helped Richard to fix the GROUPS which were seriously damaged.

I try to make this forum work for me and those who are still around ... as well as possible. Can you understand that my frustration sometimes exceeds my optimism ... especially when we are told we are not positive enough?

Sorry for snarling at you last time - but these daily issues seriously affect my mood then and now. Sometimes I'm simply tired to fight against windmills ... or the way of time.

Thornbrake

Oh, I totally get the frustration. And no worries about "snarling" in the other thread - we're all friends here (one of the things that's so nice about the Scroll). I started to write you a reply but then it just all started getting unwieldy, but my main point was that I wasn't trying to attack anyone by bringing up the current of negativity and the Facebook vs Scroll conversation, just trying to understand all the issues involved and perhaps present an alternate perspective to assuage some of the frustration.

In fact, I posted a question on the fan-created Elfquest Facebook page asking why people participate there instead of the Scroll, and got some really interesting replies. Several people noted that after the hack and revamp, this forum was too wonky and hard to use, and once they started using the Facebook pages they didn't see a need to come here. I don't know if you have a Facebook account, but you can read the whole thread here (scroll down to the post by David Miz -- that's me): https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209159129/?fref=ts

Embala

In fact, I posted a question on the fan-created Elfquest Facebook page asking why people participate there instead of the Scroll, and got some really interesting replies. Several people noted that after the hack and revamp, this forum was too wonky and hard to use, and once they started using the Facebook pages they didn't see a need to come here.
*sigh* more or less my point - and it adds to the frustration. Whatever I try to do - it has no use. Nothing will change.
Or worse - everything will change.

Wasn't able to miss your identity on FB ... XD (and it's not possible to get access to your link without account)

Thornbrake

Embala said

*sigh* more or less my point - and it adds to the frustration. Whatever I try to do - it has no use. Nothing will change.
Or worse - everything will change.

Wasn't able to miss your identity on FB ... XD (and it's not possible to get access to your link without account)

Well, my friend, as Elfquest itself has taught us, change is inevitable. Sometimes it's painful and scary, but we always have the choice to adapt with the changes around us. Happy

I'm curious though, if you can't access Facebook, how did you know my identity? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Embala

LOL - the same way as I've identified some of the others ... I can read! And when you "quote yourself", posting exactly the same both on FB and on the Scroll it's hardly possible to miss you. Wink

(The Official EQ Page on FB is open - no account needed.)

Thornbrake

Embala said

LOL - the same way as I've identified some of the others ... I can read! And when you "quote yourself", posting exactly the same both on FB and on the Scroll it's hardly possible to miss you. Wink

(The Official EQ Page on FB is open - no account needed.)

Aaaah, makes sense! I'm glad you're able to at least see the conversation on on the Official EQ page. And yes, I do sometimes post the same things here as there, mostly for the benefit of the folks who don't have Facebook accounts and/or refuse even go to Facebook. Just want to do my part to keep the Scroll alive and kicking with conversation!

Trollbabe

So some people have trouble with the Elfquest.com forum, and have no trouble using Facebook?

Thornbrake

So some people have trouble with the Elfquest.com forum, and have no trouble using Facebook?

Yes. That's part of the attraction of Facebook. It's got a team of people constantly tweaking, improving, updating, and troubleshooting behind the scenes to make things run smoothly, whereas this forum does not.

jeb

Oh, I totally get the frustration. And no worries about "snarling" in the other thread - we're all friends here (one of the things that's so nice about the Scroll). I started to write you a reply but then it just all started getting unwieldy, but my main point was that I wasn't trying to attack anyone by bringing up the current of negativity and the Facebook vs Scroll conversation, just trying to understand all the issues involved and perhaps present an alternate perspective to assuage some of the frustration.

This was an interesting read. After the talk of negativity here, it's interesting how the users of the scroll come off as whiny, entitled, paranoid change- and techno- phobes.

As you're trying to figure what's going on, I'll just give you another data point.

I have a facebook account. I use it to keep in touch with my family and friends. People may look me up on facebook. I do not want Elfquest listed as a like or posts about Elfquest showing up. I would find no fault in EQ closing down the scroll and going entirely to facebook. It seems logical to me, and part of me is rooting for it. But if the scroll does go down, that will be the end of my involvement in the fan community. No great loss, but there it is.

Embala

jeb said
I would find no fault in EQ closing down the scroll and going entirely to facebook. It seems logical to me, and part of me is rooting for it.
Well, I would mind. Unhappy

TrollHammer

jeb said

This was an interesting read. After the talk of negativity here, it's interesting how the users of the scroll come off as whiny, entitled, paranoid change- and techno- phobes.

As you're trying to figure what's going on, I'll just give you another data point.

I have a facebook account. I use it to keep in touch with my family and friends. People may look me up on facebook. I do not want Elfquest listed as a like or posts about Elfquest showing up. I would find no fault in EQ closing down the scroll and going entirely to facebook. It seems logical to me, and part of me is
rooting for it. But if the scroll does go down, that will be the end of my involvement in the fan community. No great loss, but there it is.

There is something to be said for stability and function. I will say that this "upgrade" has been easier to use faster than the last major push in some ways, but it has come at the great effort of those like Embala that have worked hard to perserve the work of the past.

During the last major change over I had quite a bit to say, and probably came off as one of those "whiny technophobic" people. The points I feel are important is that for something to be useful (and in thse case of this community, enjoyable), it needs to work, and it needs to work consistantly. In the case of EQ.com social software, we are more at the mercy of phpfox than warp for fixes and whatnot, as far as bugs, reliability, and whatnot.

The main issue I had with the old initial upgrade to a social network site was the extremes that seemed to be taken to reinvent the wheel. This change was a little less of a drastic change, with corralations between the old and the new, but its still a wheel even if someone changed it to low-pro tires with a lot of shiny chrome... Sorry, Im still tired of having to relearn how to do everything in the name of "progress". Im not a technophobe, I just feel that if web designers made cars, every two or three years we would have to get new drivers licenses, because we would be driving on the opposite side of the road, or backwards, or upside down, or twenty feet in the air, just so we can be treated to something "new" and novel. Its almost that bad with car: I get in my wife's car and feel like Im going to miss some button Im needing to press to get it to drive straight down the riad. The thing has so many extra features, bells and whistles that are more or less useless as far getting from point A to point B its almost humorous. Just more stuff to break.

Thornbrake

jeb said

I have a facebook account. I use it to keep in touch with my family and friends. People may look me up on facebook. I do not want Elfquest listed as a like or posts about Elfquest showing up. I would find no fault in EQ closing down the scroll and going entirely to facebook. It seems logical to me, and part of me is rooting for it. But if the scroll does go down, that will be the end of my involvement in the fan community. No great loss, but there it is.

Interesting. So you're saying anonymity is a condition for you to participate? Why don't you want anything Elfquest-related associated with your Facebook profile? Are you embarrassed by it? I'm genuinely curious. And wonder if this is something that others feel.

jeb

Im not a technophobe, I just feel that if web designers made cars, every two or three years we would have to get new drivers licenses, because we would be driving on the opposite side of the road, or backwards, or upside down, or twenty feet in the air, just so we can be treated to something "new" and novel.

Laugh

I've been stewing about this all night, and I feel I have one more thing to say before I leave this topic entirely.

About some scroll members being bitter - I think that's fair to say and it's not for nothing.

We had a vibrant, active community here when the site was changed to be social-network-like. It was not like it was fading and the change was needed as an effort to keep it alive. Sure, older members were popping in less frequently, but they were still popping in. And that's normal for any group like this. But there were also new members who were joining and contributing.

When Richard first let us know that he was going to be making this "upgrade", there was discussion, and I think the majority opinion was that the forum was functioning fine and most of us (even the ones who were active on facebook) were happy and didn't see the need for change.

Then it did change. And even the way the change took place caused us to lose members. Then more members left because of the bugs. People couldn't log on. Art threads were ruined and fixing them would be a herculean task. Some just didn't like the way it looked and left.

Those of us who were left tried to bring up issues we thought could make it better. Richard's response? 'I don't have time for you and your problems, you ungrateful, whiny bastards.' Even look at his response in the facebook group. 'I wonder how those guys are going to fix that thing, just don't ask for my time.'

So, am I bitter? Yeah, I guess so.

Am I embarrassed about liking Elfquest? Honestly, yeah. It's a part of my life I don't want generally known, along with a lot of other things about me. It's my secret enjoyment that doesn't mesh well with the public face I put forward.

I also really don't like facebook. It is a tool and has it's uses, but I have never enjoyed the use of it's features enough to make it worth it to me to catalog my whole life there. And I know I will sound paranoid about this, but facebook makes it's money by gathering and selling information about it's users. Did you know that if you are a member, it records every website you visit, whether you click 'like' or not? Whether you are logged on or not? I think that might be a small price to pay if you enjoy their services, and I believe that information is generally common knowledge anyway, but they've just never enticed me enough to want to give them all that information. And I'm sorry, but I don't think EQ is enough of an enticement either.

I find WARP's dependence on facebook completely ironic.

I also think that it's a good think that the new groups that are forming are under the control of the members and not subject to the whims of WARP. I don't think it would be altogether a bad thing if all the members who are still active here opened their own forum that worked and had the functionality they wanted. The nice thing about here was it was the obvious place to go for someone looking to find out more about Elfquest. But if Elfquest itself is going to abandon it for that purpose, I think they ought to get rid of it altogether.

I think I'm forgetting something else I wanted to say, but I also feel I've expended my time on the soap-box, so I'll step down now.

Embala

I've "liked" your post because it includes many facts and statemants I feel the same way - and won't be able to express it as well as you did, jeb.

Some other things I don't remember literally like this ... to tell the truth, my memory about this is rather blurry. I'll not take a bet who of us is "more right" - no chronological memory, easily mixing feeling and interpretation with facts and quotes, even messing with WHO said WHAT at times ... becoming worse with time passing. I would be a terrible witness in every trial.

And I'm not so sure about the benefit of fan-controlled groups before an "official site". Each time the "responsible volunteer" loose interest or need to concentrate on other real life priorities these sites are endangered to shut down ... or go "poof" by some bad luck.

PCoquelin

Personally, for long, I didn't even envision having a FB account.
I didn't (and still don't) like the Facebook approach,
  and I HATE the way it pushes (far too many) teens to reveal their private lives and photos to potentially just anyone.

However, thanks to Arthis, and for personal motives, I have recently created an account, there,
  and I've been exploring the FB universe with much delight.
And I DO appreciate the Elfquest FB page, as well as Wendy's and Richard's.

BUT.. our Scroll DOES remain the VERY BEST place for discussing Elfquest-related subjects.

I am not bitter in any way, I'm just..

sad

..about two specific things:

. The Scroll did lose MANY active and interesting people along the last years

. Wendy and Richard have not been PARTICIPATING enough in the Scroll activity

Like most web systems and sites, Facebook is very good for ONE thing:
advertisement.

Embala

I think many on the Scroll had (and have) three main problems with the site changes - and none of them is "change" as such.

1. the timing
2. the side effects
3. the lack of someone we can bother with our problems

About three years ago there was the hack. We lost a big part of the Scroll, a big part of what we had built here. And - we stayed, worked - determined to rebuild as much as possible.

A year later, right when we had managed to do so and things were starting to run smooth again, there was the site change.
Almost everything was new. Many members were technically challenged to handle the new format - too many were unable to log in at all. To make it worse: The site change had side effects on the Scroll that were worse than the hack to some degree. Those who had not the time and/or the energy and optimism to rebuild once more abandonned the side for other places where they hoped to find better or easier conditions.
Those who stayed around were busy to rebuilt and to adept to the new items. In this time a good part of social life (that we had on the "oldfashioned" Scroll) died - a bitter joke.
Slowly part of the technical issues got fixed, part of the Scroll got fixed, we got new tings we learned to use and like ... but those who had left didn't notice or didn't care anymore because they have found a new home elsewhere.

But enough of us were still around and started to feel comfortable again, to interact as usual and turned the Scroll anew. Then we got the upgrade ...
It fixed some of the old problems on the Scroll - and messed up other, new items we have started to use, built up and enjoyed. Problems with site access again. New tools to learn. New bugs. Once again members were discouraged and left or stopped activities. And the rest was busy with adepting to and fiddling out the new ways. Again social life and interaction stopped to a certain extend.

Slowly some things were fixed - others still don't work properly. Messed up places like the Groups were rebuilt - other are lost or not important enough or simply not changeable. The fact that I have no idea what's the reason for "no fix" doesn't help at all.

Don't get me wrong - I KNOW that Richard cares for the site. I KNOW that he has put effort in fixing things here. I KNOW positively and personally. And I have personal reason to say "Thank you for making this work again, Richard!"
And besides this special reason I'm aware that I should say "Thank YOU!" more often, for this site, for the Scroll, for the possibility to play here. For this has become a beloved home for me - a place where I live to some degree.

But because I live here I know so many things that are still broken or bugged or extremely hard to handle. I've found routines and tricks and loop ways to get along ... but I see how other, who are more occational, users struggle with it or give up or simply don't start to become active.
Guess there are easily a dozen bugs and performance problems I could list without thinking about too much. Links that work wrong, upload limits, the single post access on the Scroll - some might be easily to fix, others are possibly system immanent and have to be dealt with.

I wish there would be an Admin or Preservers who are able to fix the easy problems and to discuss the importance of other issues with them. I know I could adress Richard ... but it feels like clinging to Daddy's leg while he's at work, begging: "Elfpop, fix my car, please!" "Elfpop, mend my doll." "Elfpop, can I have a green carpet? I would feel so much better with this." I'm reluctant to bother Richard. And it doesn't help that "Daddy" is obviously very busy and hardly "at home" anymore.

All these unlucky coincidencies, changes and pending issues cause frustration and bitterness among the members here. This can show untimely, at places where it does not fit or is not expected. It is never helpful - but sadly part of our reality. And it's becoming harder and harder not to snap when we are told once again that we are not optimistic and positive enough.

Within three years we had to rebuild, adept to changes, learn to handle completely new tricks and live with bugs and trying to keep activities running again and again. Three times in row. I think many of us are simply exhausted.
Heck - those who are still here and active ARE optimists, still hoping that life will return and working for it. We are a bit like Timmorn, switching between frustration and optimism, trying to find a balance again. This - or we are simply fools.

Embala

Some more personal thoughts about changes, being technophobe Wink or not - just in case you want to understand (or at least know) a bit better how I'm ticking, Thornbrake. And I don't say that's good or bad - just ME.

Im not a technophobe, I just feel that if web designers made cars, every two or three years we would have to get new drivers licenses, because we would be driving on the opposite side of the road, or backwards, or upside down, or twenty feet in the air, just so we can be treated to something "new" and novel.
Laugh There's truth in it, Hammer!

I don't bother about being technophob or technophil - I've learned that it is much more a matter of neccessities, personal interests and time than a character trait. Thinking of IT, computers and software - I wouldn't say that I'm especially interested or skilled. There are people at work who consider me a cave woman most probably - and others ask ME how things work. And I'm surprised how much less they know and understand.

I'm not technophil to the extend that I need the newest developement as soon as it is available. In contrary. I have a TV set to watch shows and films. A "normal" computer for Internet and work. And an oldfashioned phone for calls only. I don't want to watch films on my comp or surf with a cellphone. TV set and comp can easily reach an age of 10 years and more - as long as they are working and suit my needs. And I don't want to be available on a cellphone any time.

Does this make me technophob? *shrug* In case I had kids, or simply would drive a car and be on the road regulary I would have a smartphone for sure. And some helpful apps. When PC games would be my hobby or I had to work with extend graphic programs I would make sure to upgrade my comp regulary - one way or the other. Necessities and personal preferencies.

I have a lot of hobbies - actually more than I can handle at the same time. Fiddling with technics is none of them. Technic is a tool - as long as it serves my purpose I'll stick to it. And when change is needed I'll learn and adept. Okay, I will not be happy about it - because it is time consuming. And in exchange for this effort I expect to get something that is working better, faster, easier to handle. And when this isn't the case I would return it as a reclamation - or were frustrated by right.

A little illustration Wink

When I need a new washer I buy one. It is years that I got the last one - and there are changes in functions and handling. And it can work as a dryer as well. Great!

I'll have to learn the handlings and how to use the programs. I'm lucky when it is explained to me by the local salesman. There's no one to explain ... well, there's the instruction manual - I can read. The instruction manual is badly translated and hardly understandable? *Dang!* Ah ... let's learn by try and error. It can not be so different to the last one. And sooner or later I'll figur out - finally I can do my laundery again. Case solved.

Surprise ... OMG!!

The next four weeks I spend looking for the hole in the washer, because it is not only eating my socks but my panties as well. Two more weeks to find a way to close the hole.

All I have to figure out now is why I get back white, long-sleeved blouses when I put in colored, sleeve-less tops ...

I'm not a happy bunny! Headbang3

And it doesn't help at all that this clever new washer is telling me how many percent of my outfits are green and how many are blue - and that red would suit me better as a bonus.

Razz Got the point?

Embala

Interesting. So you're saying anonymity is a condition for you to participate? Why don't you want anything Elfquest-related associated with your Facebook profile? Are you embarrassed by it? I'm genuinely curious. And wonder if this is something that others feel.
Some more about my thoughts about FB in general, privacy and public discussion and Elfquest - in case I bore you ... Shoot_me

I am not on FB, so some of my thoughts may be biased - or even wrong. In this case please correct me, Thornbrake. This is - highly exaggereated and probably biased - the notion I get when I read about FB and its business customs in German media:

There's a wizard, inviting me to his large, miracoulous Palace. I can move in there, furnish my own room, visit other inhabitants, play, talk and whatever. Of course it will be more fun when I bring all my own playthings with me, including my diaries. All (well, not all in fact) these rooms there are open for me and my own room is open for others to make visits and talks easier.
But - when I wish to have a little privacy and close my room for those I don't wish to look in? No problem - I'll get a key. To make it more fun for me the key is hidden somewhere in the cellars. I'll have to go on a quest for it. And when I've found it I have to guess whether it must be turned once or trice to really lock the door. And to give me even more fun the wizard will unlock a door then and now ... or add an open window to my room. Of course I can lock it again - in case I really wish so.

On a more serious note - when I'd join a site where I go by my real name, sharing more or less private informations and pictures, I'd expect that all the doors and windows and miceholes are shut - until I open them willingly. And that it stays the way I have set it - until I decide to change it.
Well, Facebook is not a charity institution but a commercial enterprise - they cannot live from making gifts. They see it the other way round because only this way they get maximum advantage of my membership. And that's my reason to stay away. Or ... to make sure to lock up everything.

I have a hard time to understand these privacy settings and the actual meanings of a phrase in my mother tongue - in English it would be close to a riddle. *sigh* Time consuming ... and when I cannot be sure that settings will stay how they are, nothing changed or added or reinterpreted - checking and rechecking would eat too much of the time I'd like to spend otherwise. No fun.

Besides this I would have only a handful of friends - those few I know personally in real life. And maybe, just maybe - one or two online friends. I don't think that this would allow much online fun.

And even these few friends would be probably too much. Have I got it right that I can open my "wall" for everyone or for friends only? But not this part for friend A+B and that part for friend C? Even when it is possible - what I'd post on an open page like Elfquest would show for everyone again.

That leads me back to the quote and your question above.
- No, I'm not embarrassed by being connected with EQ.
- No, I don't want that anybody who knows me can stumble into EQ-related posts.
Inconsistant? Most probably.

Comics are a little problem in Germany - they are supposed to be for children only. Or to be "Adult" comics XD
But that's not the main reason. I would feel the same related to each other topic I've commented on.

I'm a very private, introverted person, Thornbrake. I interact in different social groups - like anyone else does. And I act different in different groups ... probably like most people do. It's not that I pretend to be someone else or actually BE another person in one group and the other - I act differently due to different circumstances.

A simple example:
When we would meet in a larger group (i.e. 12 persons), even when I know everyone rather well, you would hardly hear anything from me. Most probably you would not even notice me - even if I'd be a great fan of your TV show and finally got the chance to meet you. I would be the silent one.
Give me some hours in a small group of three or five I would become active, maybe even lively and talkative.
Put us back into a bigger group after this - and I'm back to the silent one again.

I don't want anyone to know this or that about me - unless I tell him/her willingly. And this includes family and friends.
I don't wish to discuss with my brother why I put effort and love into an "unimportant" comic and virtual community.
I don't wish that my boss knows that I spend hours on a comic forum ... instead of interacting with "real persons" in a local club.
I don't wish to get advertisement about the esoteric aspects of minarals or a book about "stone healing" from a friend just because I had a conversation about this topic with an online friend. I would have talked with her/him about it because it was important for this person, not because I'm interested in esoteric aspects myself.

In a personal talk - be it in real life or online - I'd have no problem to talk about my love for EQ or my activity in this forum. But in this case
- I would know who knows ...
- I would be able to correct or explain things in case it's necessary
- I would know how this person is thinking about this matter (at least to some degree)
and know what I have to expect and how to react to it.

That's why I like to have my interests, my social contacts and what people know about me nicely sorted. I'm not interested to live a public life with anyone who knows me being able to know everything I've shared somewhere with someone.

That is one reason why I love EQ.com: Here I am Embala, who loves EQ. This is about EQ and nothing else - unless I decide to share something else. I became what I am because I'm feeling comfortable here. At home. Safe.
I can share EQ with everyone here - be it a "friend" or just a packmate.

Another reason why I prefer this site: I can see nothing on FB that attracts me here.
I like to have things nicely sorted and gathered. In topics and threads. Not in a cluster of single different posts that branch into replies on replies. And get buried under more single posts in no time. And they never come back when there are new replies - you have to rely on a flood of notifications when you try to keep on track.

Stormcatcher

Embala said

All I have to figure out now is why I get back white, long-sleeved blouses when I put in colored, sleeve-less tops ...

Well said... I'd like to add, why did they put this new machine into my home without asking me or at least pinning a note to my door:
"Warning! New equipment due in a few days!"

But with this sudden change I felt like a blind person returning to home only to find all the furniture moved and the fluffy carpet replaced by squeaky floorboards.

And the landlord's busy in a faraway country called Facebook, a place I'd never go cos it'll be fingerprints next to get a visa.

FB is a good thing if you are a celebrity or likewise use it to keep contact to people who got no other access to you. As a private person, one should avoid it - or consequently hide one's personal preferences and hobbies. I played with the idea of using a nick on FB but as the combination of my interests is rather special, I could still be tracked down to real name, address, birth date, health certificate, criminal record and the coordinates of the very house I live in.

I have tried to combine my different circles of friends before and it went very badly, so this is my EQ community and nothing else will be, come hell or high water.

PS: Under the heading "Upload limits" this discussion is not even OT...

jeb

Thank you for your last post, Embala. First, for letting me know that I'm not alone or strange in my feelings about sharing information about myself, and secondly for stating it so well. Smile

Embala

You are welcome, jeb Smile

Errr DANG ... obviously lost one of my comments yesterday instead of posting it ... ah well, guess it doesn't mind anymore.

Trollbabe

I'm still shy about delving into this topic yet again. It got nasty a couple of times, on other threads.

This doesn't mean I have a low opinion of Scroll fans. If I did, I would not have posted the thread I started in "Circle of Life." (Thanks again for your prayers.)Heart

Having little knowledge of computers, I'm not online as much as other people. I also don't use the same computers all the time. Some of the computers I used are public. Some are filtered, barring access to certain social media sites. Others are slow and don't process Facebook very well.

The SoC seems to work for me. I don't have to sit and wait for it to load, or start again when it freezes up. I don't see everything easily, especially videos. That's not important to me. I'm much more interested in reading what others have to say.

I always knew that Facebook is all about advertising, and gathering information for advertisers. Elfquest.com only promotes Elfquest. Even if I had the money, why invest in FB-friendly technology, just to broaden advertisers' access to me? (I actually grew up in a world with no TV or radio commercials, limited exposrue to print ads for products we couldn't get at the company commisary anyway, and maybe one or two rusty Coca-Cola billboards.)

To me, Facebook would not be a step up from this. A step up, would be to save enough money to go to a convention and meet other Elfquest fans face-to-face. (Face-to-face is what we geezers did when every household had a single land-line phone that was permanently attached to the wall. People didn't walk around like snobs and zombies, staring down at a piece of plastic and ignoring everyone around them, but I digress...)

The Scroll's newer features don't interest me as much as the old-fashioned dialogue with other fans. There isn't much more I want, than to be able to record and exchange text and images, all categorized neatly into subtopics. If I want to talk about Frostfanny the Go-Back, I can search "Keeping in Character" for the Frostfanny thread. If I want to express my opinion about Frostfanny stealing icebox pizzas in "Kings of the Frozen Meal", I can post in the KotFM thread. That hasn't changed.

It also means that I can pass up topics that don't interest me. If people don't like my political views, they can ignore the off-topic threads on politics, or at least skip through my posts after they navigate to a political thread. Maybe Facebook lets you do this, maybe not.

Trollbabe

.. Why don't you want anything Elfquest-related associated with your Facebook profile? Are you embarrassed by it? I'm genuinely curious. And wonder if this is something that others feel.

This post reminded me of how my online presence is categorized. Jeb's preferences make sense to me.

I was out of work in 2001. The job application process involved presenting my birth certificate: American citizen by birth to American parents in Saudi Arabia (My dad dug up the oil that went into your dad's car.) Only after September 11 did I find it necessary to divide my online life into categories.

Career contacts don't need to know about my birth and childhood. That doesn't mean I'm ashamed of it. I write about it in my alumni e-newsletter

Oilfield alumni include a couple of natives who are adamantly pro-Palenstine, and like to share their anti-Israel rants online. While we agree to disagree, I don't need their presence to be known to career contacts, extended family, or non-alumni friends.

As late as last week, one of my co-workers thought it odd that I had read comic books as an adult. This is why I like discussing Elfquest only with people who are interested in comics.

I have conservative friends who would be uncomfortable with the level of violence and nudity in Elfquest. A few Elfquest fans might be confused or even offended by some of my conservative views.

This isn't necessarily embarassment, as much as discretion.

TrollHammer

It is amazing to find so many that feel the same way about these things... Gives rise to "They", in a way, though in a sense there is a "they" in the current contex... But Ill stop beating that dead horse, poor horse... (yes, Im tired, and connecting far too many trains of thought at once... Sorry for the meandering rambling). Anyway.

I dont have a facebook or myspace, or any other social network account outside of special groups such as this one. I have a couple off road forum accounts, a few EQ related accounts, an account for the game engine for the online game project I never get anywhere with... And honestly I dont know how I would be able to handle a "central hub" such as facebook. Everything else on line takes so mich time already I have to limit what I do to what seems necessary.

But I believe that if I had a FB I would have kept my EQ participation seperate from FB anyway, but not because of being embarrassed of EQ, per se, but rather the other way around. In some ways I feel I may be more intimate with my self here on this site of fantasy than I would be on a hypothetical FB... And I am not sure how it would go over with those I dont necessarily choose to meet on a day to day basis... A few have been used as material for stories here, and portions of my personality can be shared with the community I feel kinship with here that I could never feel free to share with the highly manipulative, judgemental, and occasionally insane mob in RL...

Thats just how that is. As such, I dont get a word of anything on the EQ FB news.

Oh, and one more thing to add to the ludacris tech world that I have to deal with: currently I am wondering how long this post has taken to write, as the site 'logs me off", or rather, shifts me into "mobile" mode if I spend too long without interacting with the site directly... So its a crap shoot every time I post more than a couple sentances whether or not it will post.

Further, due to interesting ( but not that interesting) interactions between my phone (primary internet at the moment as the company doesnt want to run 300ft of cable) and this site, i can only access my PMs in mobile mode, but the text in mobile mode displays as the same color as the background unlrss I reply first... Im sure I annoy others with empty replies...

Further,I can only view updates while in mobile, but the posts wont show as anything but grey text on grey background, so I have to use "desktop/full site" mode to read posts... But this goes to the main page and I have to remember where all the interesting posts were, which takes more time and advances dynamically.... Makes for an interesting game to even participate...

But I love you guys here, I enjoy the fandom, and so I keep beating my head against the wall, but at least it keeps it "interrsting".

Never give up, never surrender! Smile

MultiMEDEA

Personally, for long, I didn't even envision having a FB account.
I didn't (and still don't) like the Facebook approach,
and I HATE the way it pushes (far too many) teens to reveal their private lives and photos to potentially just anyone.

However, thanks to Arthis, and for personal motives, I have recently created an account, there,
and I've been exploring the FB universe with much delight.
And I DO appreciate the Elfquest FB page, as well as Wendy's and Richard's.

BUT.. our Scroll DOES remain the VERY BEST place for discussing Elfquest-related subjects.

I am not bitter in any way, I'm just..

sad

..about two specific things:

. The Scroll did lose MANY active and interesting people along the last years

. Wendy and Richard have not been PARTICIPATING enough in the Scroll activity

Like most web systems and sites, Facebook is very good for ONE thing:
advertisement.

Hear, hear about Facebook. I'm very web-tech savvy...I just don't care for that particular site's zeitgeist and underlying skeevyness.

On technophobia...it's not technophobia when EQ.com's 'technology' actively works against how the majority of members try to use it. That's just bad programming/web design.

jeb

Reading the posts here has brought up some points I hadn't thought about, and I'm sorry if I let my frustration get the better of me and was a little harsh before. I am really happy for all the people who DO participate here and most of the time am just happy to be a part of the community.

In terms of the statements about change being inevitable and why don't people on the scroll just accept that the conversation has moved to Facebook - I'm a substitute teacher for mid- and high school students and I overheard a conversation by my students the other day talking about how they never go to facebook anymore, preferring other social sites instead. So, as Embala pointed out, I'll be grateful for this consistent discussion place as long as Warp is willing to provide it.

Embala

Thats just how that is. As such, I dont get a word of anything on the EQ FB news.

Make sure to look in the "Latest Page Discussion" thread - it's not exactly limited to this purpose and sometimes other news show up there. And here's something I've found today:
from Facebook:

Elfmom here: "Final Quest" will go into print in 2013 (more on that later). If you think THIS is a lot of work, wait 'til I have to start meeting a bi-monthly deadline!

I'll look for a more fitting place to repost it there as well. Smile

Oh, and one more thing to add to the ludacris tech world that I have to deal with: currently I am wondering how long this post has taken to write, as the site 'logs me off", or rather, shifts me into "mobile" mode if I spend too long without interacting with the site directly... So its a crap shoot every time I post more than a couple sentances whether or not it will post.

How annoying. Just break up your posts in shorter parts, Hammer. Don't care for multible posting - one thought after the other - when this helps to make you more "successful". It's not like we suffer from too many posts here XD

Further, due to interesting ( but not that interesting) interactions between my phone (primary internet at the moment as the company doesnt want to run 300ft of cable) and this site, i can only access my PMs in mobile mode, but the text in mobile mode displays as the same color as the background unlrss I reply first... Im sure Im sure I annoy others with empty replies...

Be sure you do not annoy me, Hammer - that's one of the loop-ways I've mentioned.

But I love you guys here, I enjoy the fandom, and so I keep beating my head against the wall, but at least it keeps it "interrsting".

Never give up, never surrender! Smile

Amen and HUG Thumbs_up

Trollbabe

I'm dealing with technical issues as well. I write my posts out, then copy and paste them. Otherwise,
thy end up lookg lik this, with misg letrs.

Embala

OMG!! ... WEIRD!

Trollbabe

Has to do with using an older, cheaper computer.