ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elf Quest Customizable Card Game Rules (draft)

TrollHammer

Over the next few hours Ill tey to rough out the plan for the rules. This first post will eventually migrate into a summary and the second post the long derived rules adapted from the Star Trek game.

There are three phases to game play:
1) build a deck from the set of cards
2) set up the table
3) play the game

The set of cards, which are still being developed (and info will change accordingly) consists of Locations, (Dilemmas), Characters, Bond Beasts, (Events), (Interrupts), and a Two-Edge's Tricks side deck.

A deck consists of a Seed deck, of which (6) 5-7 locations, one or two Holts, several (dilemmas), and (Doorway) cards make up the bulk of it. Additionally, a Side Deck can be added for additional game elements.

The other half of your deck is the draw deck, where extra Holt cards, Characters, Bond beasts, Tools, (Events), (Interrupts), and other cards are located. This deck is shuffled before play.

Before playing against an opponent, a player chooses cards from the set (or from the cards they own, if they are printed, purchased cards) that the player things will work together to win the game.

The objective is to obtain (100) points by completing Quests, that are at locations. There are also other ways to score points, but these are more random and unreliable.

Phase two starts by deciding a player to place a Quest (Location) card face up on the table. The second player places one of their own Quest cards to one side or the other of the first, and players alternate placing Quests in a line. This becomes the "world" where the game is played, and its ok if the locations are not "in order" as they may be in Elf Quest.

(seeding Dilemmas would happen next, unless they become a side deck. This will be discussed).

After the "world" is set up, each player can place a Holt for each tribe making up their deck. This will be the place your characters will start from. You can start more Holts later in the game if you place some in your draw deck and have the required skills.

Gameplay:

Finally what you have been waiting for! The stage is set, and now we play cards....

The last person to place a seed card plays first. Both players draw 7 cards.

You can have as many cards in you hand as you want, but the game ends if your draw pile is empty.

The first step is to play a card, if you choose to. This can be an Event, Character, Bond Beast, or Tool. Interrupts can be played at any time and dont count toward the one card per turn limit. Event cards (and a few other special cards we havent gotten to yet) play to the table as noted on the card, all others play to the holt.

Next, a player takes action, moving characters or parties, attempting Quests, or doing other activity-oriented things (like hunting if it is encorperated).

The player draws a card to end their turn.

Again, Interrupts can be played at anytime during any turn, they literally "interrupt" the game

Attempting a Quest:

Generally, players will deploy characters, tools, and bond beasts to the holt until they feel there is enough to complete a Quest. Then the player collects the Quest Party and begins to move to the quest location. Each Quest card has a number called Span, which represents how much distance the location takes up. The party moves at the speed of its slowest member, unless you split the party and send some on ahead of the rest ( such as those who have bond-beasts and those who dont).

In this way, the quest at the location your Holt is located at requires the part travel the full span before attempting the Quest. After the quest is done at THIS location, the party may return to the Holt free of travel time, but to move from this location OR from the Holt to an ajacent location the party has to move the full span.

Moving: your party moves at the rate of its slowest member. The number of turns it takes to cross a location is determined by the speed of the traveler or group. For example, if a party can move at a rate of 3 and the location/quest is 5 span, it will take two turns to get to the Quest, or two turns to get to the next location. If you intend to move flat out across.several locations, it may be helpful to retain the remainder (ie in this case, 1) as the paety has already moved one span into the new location.

Attempting a Quest: After the party makes it to the Quest, the player can attempt it, even during the same turn as movement. The party is subjected to dilemmas, which may or may not affect the party. After the dilemmas are passed, the party attempts the Quest. The Quest card has requirements that must be met.

For example: A Quest may require Srength>30, and Diplomacy. After the dilemmas are passed, totall the remaining party members' strength and see if it is over 30, and if one of the characters has Diplomacy as a skill. If so, you win those points!

(feel free to ask questions, Im not done yet, but done for tonight.)

TrollHammer

(first third of full beginning rules) (NOT COMPLETE!!!)

Elf Quest Customizable Card Game (DRAFT)

Introduction

Welcome to the World of Two Moons, a place of magic and survival. This game is made up of a set of playing cards that you can create your own deck from. A game requires two players, each with at least 60 cards. Before a game begins, each player customizes a playing deck from the cards in their collection (or the complete set in the case of Online Play, rather). The cards are intended to have a rock-paper-scissors relationship to each other and there is a wide variety of ways to construct a deck and a multitude of outcomes for each game.

Cards represent quests, characters, bond beasts, events, and more from the World of Two Moons, from Elf Quest, created by Wendy and Richard Pini (WaRP). Players plot strategies and match wits as they attempt to complete quests and score points. The winner is the first player to score 100 points or the player with the most points when either player’s deck runs out.

The Tribes

(Tribes subject to change)

(there are three major tribes in the game: (humans, trolls, elves). Most characters and bond beasts belong to one of these tribes. Some cards are (non-aligned), meaning that they can work with any tribe. For example, they can be placed with a quest party to strengthen its members. Each tribe has it’s own color and icon.

It is possible for a member of one species to be associated with a different tribe. For example, Little Patch lived among the Wolfriders for a period of time. When customizing a deck, Players may chose to control one tribe or form alliances of two or three. If doesn’t matter if both players choose the same tribe(s). There is an advantage to keeping your selections secret from your opponent until you play.

Normally, different tribes cannot mix, but there are exceptions.

There are several major tribes or clans in the game, and more will be added as things get going. The first three are:

• Wolfriders- Green, Wolf Logo. Forest Dwelling Elves. Have formed a close bond with Wolves. Generally tend to be protective of their holt and tribe, and try to hide themselves from the Humans.

• Gotara Tribe- Red, Fire logo. Primative humans on the edge of the forest. Have formed myths and legends about their god of fire, Gotara, and the “demons” that hide in the forest.

• Greymung’s Forest Trolls- Brown, Stone logo. Burrowing Trolls live under the Humans and Elves and highly secretive, but they take what they want from the ground above.

• Drifters (non-aligned, or multi-tribe): These are the misfits or the characters that try to work for the benefit of all tribes. They are able to work among more than their base tribe, or form their own tribe.

Later, more tribes will be added:

• Sun Villagers- Yellow, Sun logo

• Blue Mountain Gliders- Blue, Mountain logo

• Hoan G’tay Sho- White-Blue, Bird logo

• Go-Backs- White, Antler logo

• Frozen Mountain Trolls (Guttlekraw’s Trolls)- Grey, Anvil logo

• Preservers- Pink, Wing logo

• Wavedancers- Aqua, Starfish logo

• Picknose’s Trolls- Steel blue, Hammer logo

• The Others (non-Aligned) – Orange, Hands logo

And even more may come about later, as time travel is added and characters from the ages become available.

The Cards

There are common, uncommon, rare, and ultra-rare cards you can collect (well, there would be if you had to buy them, but rarity will come into play when playing “sealed tournament deck” games). The rarity usually corresponds with its strength or power in the game. The (nine) types of cards used in the game are as follows:

• Quest- These cards contain information about a quest and the requirements for completeing it. When the quest is completed, the layer scores the number of points indicated on the card. Points vary according to the difficulty of the quest. For now, there are only quests that happen within the known World of Two Moons.

• (Dilemma) – These cards create disruptions in attempting the quests and present special challenges. Depending on the quest party, the (dilemma) may stop, slow, or have no effect on a mission attempt. Some cards may contain bonus points gained by overcoming the (dilemma), or can take points away if doing so is undesirable.

• (Artifact) – These cards represent rare objects found at mission locations. Artifacts give players immense and special powers

• Holt – These cards mark a location for a Holt or Kingdom. This is the starting point for Quest Parties, and all characters and tools are brought into play here, and Bond Beasts can be started here as well (debate this against starting one space away from Holt).

• Bond Beast- A Quest Party can walk to a quest, but this will be exceedingly slow. (an Elf, who has a speed of 2, would require 2 turns to cross a 4 span location). Bond beasts, vehicles, and other things allow your characters to travel much faster, as well as give an advantage when it comes to adversity (battles, some Quest attempts), or boost a character’s abilities. These cards have three main statistics:

- Range: Determines the speed of the animal. Some can have variable speeds dependant on rider, number of riders, environmental conditions, etc.

- Attack: Determines how much damage the animal can deal in a battle. Also used like Strength in some situations.

- Defense: Determines how much damage the animal can avoid or take before they succumb. Also may be viewed as a factor of Stamina in some situations.

• Character -

• Tool

• (Event)

• (Interrupt)

How To Play

Phase One: Customizing a 60 card deck

Tips on customizing your deck

Phase Two: Seeding the table

• Arrange locations

• Establish Holts

Phase Three: Playing the Game

• Play a card from your hand

• Taking action

Additional Rules

• Showing Your Cards

• Classification and Skills: Super Characters

• Cloaked Ships

• Definitions of Capture, Cumulative, Etc.

• Treaty Cards

• Spirits

Special Cards, a few samles

Advanced Rules

Closing

Embala

I'll make color templates for each tribe - want to do them anyway just for fun. Abfter this character cards can be created comparably fast.

- choose character photo
- come up with a description
- define the characteristics (in the third box) and rating points (in the Scroll)
- define exclusivity and "side icons"

Still more than enough work. Epecially for the definitions I'll need support and guidance by an experianced player!

TrollHammer

I am working as fast as I can with that. Have a few done up already, but need some calm time to think about good stats for the others. I can try and post them in a few days and we can discuss raising or lowering numbers or adding or removing skills.

Is there a good way to post a spreadsheet on here?

Embala

I am working as fast as I can with that. Have a few done up already, but need some calm time to think about good stats for the others. I can try and post them in a few days and we can discuss raising or lowering numbers or adding or removing skills.
Calm down and relax, Hammer. There's no need to hurry. I won't run away when you don't feed me with information every day. *hug*

My posts are not like an order "Answer this and give me that - NOW!". It's used like notepads.
I pin them on the board whener I have an idea, or a question - or simply wish to show off something.
You can read them there, come back to fetch one to work on it when time meets mood. Or remember it when you come across an answer eventually.

Besides this - I have more than enough work to do on this character template to cover all the tribes. And there are more templates necessary to cover all the different types of cards. Details can be added or changed later on.

Is there a good way to post a spreadsheet on here?
I'm afraid there is none. :/
And as I wasn't able to open Jeremy Head's spreadsheet I'm afraid it will not work when you email me, either. Of course you can give it a try - you have my address.

TrollHammer

Embala said

Calm down and relax, Hammer. There's no need to hurry. I won't run away when you don't feed me with information every day. *hug*

My posts are not like an order "Answer this and give me that - NOW!". It's used like notepads.
I pin them on the board whener I have an idea, or a question - or simply wish to show off something.
You can read them there, come back to fetch one to work on it when time meets mood. Or remember it when you come across an answer eventually.

Besides this - I have more than enough work to do on this character template to cover all the tribes. And there are more templates necessary to cover all the different types of cards. Details can be added or changed later on.

I'm afraid there is none. :/
And as I wasn't able to open Jeremy Head's spreadsheet I'm afraid it will not work when you email me, either. Of course you can give it a try - you have my address.

same to you, dont stress. Im just fighting myself, wanting to make sure I dont lose focus. If I dont stay on it for my sake, Ill end up distracted with something else. I have to keep busy, and Id rather be busy with something that bennifits other people.

Ill do what I did before then: post one post for each card and a thread for each card type. Then others can also post cards the same way, or reply to a card post with their thoughts of what would make it better. Sound good?

Embala

As long as you don't feel pressed by me, Hammer - do how you like ... and need to.Wink

Sounds very good about the single threads. Havn't I started this already with PERSONAL cards and VEHICLE cards? I've stopped to make more because I wanted to wait for Richard's answer.

TrollHammer

Embala said

As long as you don't feel pressed by me , Hammer - do how you like ... and need to.Wink

Sounds very good about the single threads. Havn't I started this already with PERSONAL cards and VEHICLE cards? I've stopped to make mmore because I wanted to wait for Richard's answer.

Well, and looking back through it looks like there are quite a few old threads that already line up too. They will.just need to be updated. May have internet in a few days and be able to more easily update things. (thats what I said last night, huh? Lol)

I hereby give you the power to poke and prod me into getting things done should you desire to! Smile that said, I also use these threads and posts to jot down notes and ideas, reminders, and tey to mesh those in with other posters. Im trying things a little different this time and trying not to overthink things as I have done in the past, which I tbink has sacred off some of the others. I would really like to make sure that as many fans get their hands in as possible so they can see something in it and be able to say" hey, I had a hand in this!"

Well, time to go have some fun waiting in a cellular dead zone. Be back later.

Embala

Sounds great, Hammer. I really hope some more will involve with ideas and contritutions.

And I can concentrate on what I think I'm best - making pretty pictures Wink Don't worry - I'll tell my mind and share my thought - when I have some! ^^

TrollHammer

I need help (anyone who wants to voice their opinion)

Im working out the numbers for the statistics for the characters, and realized I need to have a set standard.

The problem is, what order would YOU put characters in?

The three statistics are:
INTEGRITY: this is a combination of loyalty to the tribe, to one's self, sticking to a plan, and doing whats best for everyone.
CUNNING: this is kind of how smart the character is, or at least how easily they can get themselves out of trouble.
STRENGTH: this is a combination of the character's physical strength, stamina, and overall ability to overcome physical adversity.

The more pressing one I realized needs worked out is CUNNING. For example:

Two Edge and Winnie are fairly well matched as far as wits are concerned. He can trick her, but she can manipulate him. Both are highly intelligent and mentally resourceful. (though it almost seems that he edges out over her overall).

Cutter cannot beat Winnowil without either anger or family. He is close to matching her, but is still below her on the scale.

Cutter beats Strongbow in a battle of wills.

Cutter also beats Rayak at the challenge of Head Heart and Hand. But he was also lucky.

Leetah has her moments that she can beat Winnie, or at least hold her own, but can also be bested by her. Leetah also finds Cutter to be on par with her (she doesnt view him as lesser of a creature or elf.)

Khavi seems a good matxh for Futter, but would probably be bested by Winnie.

(there are others, but I think you can see what Im getting at)

Given a scale of 0-10, zero being dumb as a rock (literally), and 10 being truely perfect (making the scale really 1-9), what value do we give people?
If we give Winnie and Two Edge 9s right off the bat, that puts Cutter around 8, and strongbow around 7, which seems high. Other than archery and stubborness, there is little imagination with Strongbow. He is only above average for a wolfrider due to his stubbor will.

But what is a Wolfrider in general with Cunning? They can be fairly resourceful compared to the humans, but not so clever as the Trolls in general as to deception and metalwork and mining. If we put Gotara Humans (average, not the Shaman) as a 4 (below average), wolfriders as a 5, and Trolls at either a 5 or a 6, that only puts Strongbow at a 6, then Cutter at 7, and Two Edge and Winnowil at 8, leaving room for "super" characters to have 9 if they are made.

Also, what about Strength? It seems at times that the Trolls are stronger than Elves, and Elves are strong for their size, at least compared to humans. Yet leetah was held by a human's hands.

Integrity is pretty self exainitory, so I shouldnt need help there unless changes are needed.

So what do you think?