ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Graphics resources (take a look)

TrollHammer

Here are a couple of sources of free graphics for games I have looked at. I'm partial to the 'lost garden' graphics stile and will be using them for inital work. Browse and post your feedback, if you wish...

http://hasgraphics.com/

http://opengameart.org/

TrollHammer

So... Here's how I see things shaking out later on to get proper EQ themed, comic style images for map making.

The best would be to get some proper images drawn by Wendy herself. Im not figuring that this will happen, as Im sure she has then next few years of drawing already accounted for.

Next best is fan-supplied drawings. We need to make sure that an artist knows what they need to draw first, though, so Ill prep some samples... Eventually...

Next to last best is to compile a collection of arial view images from the comics. If there are examples of cliffs, trees, figures, machines, rocks, and the like pulled from the series, preferably from the same artist (and preferably from Wendy, if at all possible), then we(I) can wing it and make something work.

Finally, there is the use of photo images or open source tiles. These are free and available, however it will be hard to both match styling throughout all images and parts of the game, as well as making it difficult to keep it unique.

Just a thought to throw out... What wojld everyone think about making the game black and white or greyscale so it's like playing one of the DC digests or some.of.the comics? this would make it easier to match "feel" and cut down on time to generate all new grapbics from scratch if we choose to. It would also be the ONLY game I know of that did this. It would also make it easy to use hand drawings scanned in.

TrollHammer

Ill post more image sources and can email the current graphics package if you send me a PM.

Embala

Next to last best is to compile a collection of arial view images from the comics. If there are examples of cliffs, trees, figures, machines, rocks, and the like pulled from the series, preferably from the same artist (and preferably from Wendy, if at all possible), then we(I) can wing it and make something work.
There are definitely shots of nature and environment ... in various size and detail - by Wendy. Just need to dig them up. Ah well ... this "just" is the problem - together with time.

TrollHammer

Embala said

There are definitely shots of nature and environment ... in various size and detail - by Wendy. Just need to dig them up. Ah well ... this "just" is the problem - together with time.

Lol.

A couple of things: am I still ok to use your Embala sprite in demos?

I have a sample composite image that uses most of the graphics images, as well as examples of Potato's sprites, your's, and contrasting tree styles to point out how a unified "style" must be settled on. Even have something that would pass as a Father Tree. Ill try to post it tomarrow, but I have llst my wifi dongle for my computer, so it will need to wait for that.

TrollHammer

Embala said

So what do you think of black and white line drawings or colorized "comic" styles fir the game, or is it too early to tell without a composite made up to see how it would look?

I will say, the idea has appeal to me. It would be hard to pull off, especially without some sort of post-engine effects to blend the starkness together into something easy on the eye, but I had thought about the line-art style to.make it feel more like a massivly interactive comic book. It would have a different methid of compiling maps and onscreen images, but it could work.

Embala

A couple of things: am I still ok to use your Embala sprite in demos?
At some point I've lost track. totally. Don't even know (anymore) What you are talking about. Which sprite?

TrollHammer

Embala said

At some point I've lost track. totally. Don't even know (anymore) What you are talking about. Which sprite?

It was a sorite someone did for you. I think it was Jeedai but Im not sure. I can send it to you, but I did put one frame of.it in the sample composite, if you notice. If it were possible to find or make the base for that sprite it would be pretty neat. I think it fits well for elves with the scale of the other images.

Just so everyone is on the same page, here is a preliminary list of graphics that will need to be worked out:

Terrain, ground textures, and the like, including cliffs, sand, hills, streams etc. Few but some may be animated

Flora and fauna, including but not limited to trees, rocks, deer, bears, squirrels and the like. Some or most of these may be animated.

NPCs: non player characters, some of which will be reused, some will be unique instances (such as King Greymung). Almost all of these will need to be animated (except perhaps Door, Door, Brace, Egg in a chair, Mother of Memory, Watery Winnie in a Wall, etc.

PCs: player character bases, components (like hair, clothes, eyes, etc), tools and items (weapons, hammers, flowers, baskets, tanned hides, anything that might be carried or used), and "mounted" images for those charscters that can mount animals (wolfriders, humans, preservers).

Bond beasts and mounts, including but not limited to wolves, great birds, Two Edge's Tree Cutter, nohumls, and zwoots.

The father tree and other points of interest

buildings, including but not limited to Sun Village, Gotara huts, dens, caves, the Palace, and much later on, the Citedel Mount buildings

hoan gtay sho structures

Blue Mountian, inside and out.

Troll tunnels, artifacts, and the like

menus (character creation, loading game, connections, etc)

Fonts

partical effects

glow and shadow of some objects (to be explained later)

Splash pages

map specific features.

And other stuff I cant think of at the.moment as it is quarter to 2AM and am in need of sleep.

Not all these things need to be done at once. The first focus is the same as the initial series start: Gotar Humans and Wolfriders. Add trolls next, then desert, sun village, and so on.

We also need to decide on a specific style. I posted an image that showed a couple.of styles, and I will try to put together a couple of other composits as time allows, but if you get inspired feel free to post up how you imagine it.

the general guidelines are:

"isometric" perspective. The diamond shaped tiles are not supported natively in Netgore, which uses rectangular tiles, but the perspective and workflow is the same or easier.

"topdown" (character can go in all directions: up down left and right) instead of sidescroller (or platformer, where the world looks like a cross section of the ground and the charscters are forced to "stand" on a surface.) the Isometric view is actually a top.down view, though the images are drawn halfway between side profile and what a bird would see lookong straight down from above..

Character scale (maxish) will be somewhere around 32pixels wide and 64tall. This is a rough guestimate, they might end uo smaller or slightly larger depending on what we all agree on. The characters will be slightly larger than scale size compared to features, so that trees might seem only twice as tall as a character when they might actually be ten. This is to give some identity to the characters and still fit everything on a screen.

Single.map size "max" is about 32000 pixels wide and tall before performance starts dropping. The initial firest map will be divided into 4 quadrants, with the wolfriders and humans in farthest apart quads. In the engine, when a character reaches the edge of one quad, they are teleported to the next map where it lines up with the last one.

Thats all for now.

Embala

It was a sorite someone did for you. I think it was Jeedai but Im not sure. I can send it to you, but I did put one frame of.it in the sample composite, if you notice. If it were possible to find or make the base for that sprite it would be pretty neat. I think it fits well for elves with the scale of the other images.
Shoot_me ... or better give me a link? I don't understand where to look.

Need to read and think about the rest when I'm more awake than right now ... *ZONK*

TrollHammer

Embala said

Shoot_me ... or better give me a link? I don't understand where to look.

Need to read and think about the rest when I'm more awake than right now ... *ZONK*

I will try to post it. You didnt keep it as your avatar long.

Embala

You asked about the base ... that's why I try to figure out.

TrollHammer

Tutorial on 'isometric' sprites and whatnot. Pretty good as a reference, though we are going to be less boxy with all the trees and stuff....

http://xena.ww7.be/neofutur/tools/pixelart/index.html

There is also a page that has a couple of links still good for examples.

TrollHammer

(bu)