ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Chronology/Eras in Gameplay

TrollHammer

I'm having a slight problem with what to do with Gameplay as it pertains to time periods.

On the one hand, players aren't REALLY going to be playing as original characters, but if they want to generate a character named after an OC and want to make that character as close to the same features as the OC, there isn't anything stopping them.. There really isn't anything stopping anyone from making a 'Bearclaw' and fighting the Winnowil NPC. Since there is nothing stopping this (and indeed this will be pretty fun!) it doesn't seem like there is a reason not to have NPCs of any time period included. This would be a lot like the "unlimited" DC and Marvel comic books where they have unusual combinations of superheros teaming up, like Hulk and Wolverine, or multiple generations of the Flash.

On the other hand, would this be too "untrue" for the average fan? How much does the game need to mimic the story? If the game ends up too linear, there isn't much the player can do outside of what they read in the books, but also, possibly if things get too disordered it might confuse newcomers....

Or is it a matter that it doesn't matter, just let it be what it will be and get something out there?

smellsgood

I like the idea of including characters from all the time periods, or maybe even places, too. You could come up with some sort of story scenario for this... something goes wrong with space/time... but it'd be cool because you can find your favorite characters/tribe/whatever, and also less pressure to adhere to the canon timeline, which can be tricky! The main downside I think would just be the process of adding more NPCs and places... but it's also possible start with just the basic characters/locations, release that, and then just release updates with added characters/places/etc.

TrollHammer

potato said

I like the idea of including characters from all the time periods, or maybe even places, too. You could come up with some sort of story scenario for this... something goes wrong with space/time... but it'd be cool because you can find your favorite characters/tribe/whatever, and also less pressure to adhere to the canon timeline, which can be tricky! The main downside I think would just be the process of adding more NPCs and places... but it's also possible start with just the basic characters/locations, release that, and then just release updates with added characters/places/etc.

That was my thought. I havent come up with a complete backstory that doesnt sound overused. The basis I was going for was that since the Palace is a time machine of sorts, and a teleporter or sorts, that once Sunstream connects all elves everywhere, why not all times as well, and at that point it should be a hop, skip, and a jump for the Palace to end up as a taxi for any elf who wants to go somewhere-when. Or....

Rayak/Winnie (or equiv) ends up taking over the Palace and for some reason gathers every elf that ever lived, perhaps some humans too, and scattered them throughout space-time, perhaps even go a little Shards/SotC/Dragonball Z and have thr Palace explode, sending characters throughout spacetime at random, and one if the goals of the game is to collect the shards, restore thr palace, and keep thr badguys from repeating the cycle (continuing thr game either way, just a sub plot that doesnt matter one way or the other) Two Edge would be another likely antagonist of this 'game'.

Had another thought but I either lost it or included it above. It's all been done before in various ways with RP and Holts elsewhere, so it needs pieced together a bit better, or better ideas thought out.

Perhaps the Palace or the Egg, among other things, could be the introducer of new expansions, instead of quests to defeat. This would mean we would need to indroduce a whole cast of non canon characters instigating the Palace appearing, disappearing, and providing changes to the world (expansions). perhaps that human Captain I cant recall thr name of off the tip of my tonge...

The good thing about that is that it would leave Two Edge free as another whole subplot, an instigator of other quests, content, etc. I like the idea of making him a major antagonist/protagonist and NPC. Truely a double sided character, with special store options (special tools, weapons, material, etc), challenges, threats, and aids.

Another thing that this would allow is the Future Folk to join in. One of the things I had in mind as a goal is to have Jink as part of the game, if for no other reason to have her on screen causing havoc, but had a hard time rectifying the planned target time period (bearclaw to fire and flight) and Jink's existance there...

Maybe something to do with the unfinished Future Quest storylines and Egg's work with Mindcoil? After all, Blue Mountain was supposed to become a sort of Bizzarro version of thr Palace, with all its abilities of travel and whatnot... This would provide a motley crew to pilot the plot device... Hmm...

Any ideas?

TrollHammer

(bu)