ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Tagging and Editing

Thornbrake

Just wanted to share some tips that I've just learned for the new forums:

--You can tag another member just by typing the @ symbol followed by someone's user name. Like this: @Heather.

--You can edit your own posts. Once you published a comment, you'll see a tiny "Edit" button at the top.

Nibblet

Is there still no option to delete your post?

EDIT - nope. Just tried it. Never mind then

Rob

Post deleted by user

Rob

@nibblet, you can delete old posts simply by editing them. It only requires that you leave at least something in the post. See above, for example. We could automate it with a button, I guess, but it might take a while.

If you absolutely want a specific one completely removed, PM me and I'll kill it. The reason many forum systems leave evidence of the post (i.e. deleted is really just blanked) is to prevent spammers and other ne'er-do-wells continuously posting and deleting, thereby covering their tracks and making it harder to "chase" them down.

faeriegirl

So how do I quote another post?

Rob

So how do I quote another post?

Copy whatever you'd like to quote and use the tag.

For example, the above quote is So how do I quote another post?

A "reply" button will be added soon!

Rob

A "quote" button appears now when you select the text you would like to quote. This automatically puts the quote code in the comment box for you.

Rob

@faeriegirl And now there's a reply button, too!

faeriegirl

oh! Awesome! And I even got an email to tell me you mentioned me!
Love the reply button and the quote code!

*edit* now discovered that more people mentioned me, and I haven't gotten an email for that! :( @rob how can that be? In the comment itself my name is properly blue so it must be working, right?

MrsGrizzley

@faeriegirl The system sends you notices within itself, so you have to log in get the notifications that people have mentioned you in posts. I know it's not perfect, but at least it should help, right?

Besides, I like it and it helps direct comments so that people aren't so lost all the time on who's talking to who... this is just the first time I've actually seen the functionality of it.

faeriegirl

@MrsGrizzley @rob I totally love the tagging & notification system. And I got the notification & email (that's my personal setting, to also get an email), of your tag.
But Startear also tagged me in the thread "How do you feel?" (here: http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/2059/how-do-you-feel#Item_25902) and I did not get a notification of that! I think that's weird...

Rob

It might be that the email is getting sorted as spam by gmail.

Diana

I'm kinda evil, but I have to try out how much HTML is allowed XD

Thornbrake

Hmmmm, I'm not getting any notifications anywhere. I just went in and edited my preferences to receive an email for everything. We'll see if that fixes it. Checking my spam folder now too....

faeriegirl

@Rob could've been indeed, but I've now checked my spam folder and there's no notification sent at all. Also, it's not listed in my notifications list at all...
New mention on the EQ Dollz thread was properly notified.

Rob

@Diana Javascript gets sanitized!

CSS IS FINE

Might put more limits on it, but in the meantime, knock youself out. :)

Rob

@faeriegirl, try checking your profile, under "My Preferences" -- maybe you just need to change those settings.

faeriegirl

@Rob I did check the settings, they're all ticked now and it seems like I am getting all my notifications now so I guess it got sorted out. The mention from Startear isn't visible anywhere, but it doesn't really matter I guess.

RedheadEmber

The only "problem" I have with the notification-system is that sometimes I get the pop-up notification when I'm already reading the message the notification is about...

Diana

@Rob are you sure you don't want to use bbcode, instead of allowing HTML and sanitizing Javascript? I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I get an itchy feeling in my fingers to try stuff like this

Diana

Ok, I've had my fun XD

Rob

We will turn on BBCode eventually, but you're welcome to keep hunting XSS vulnerabilities and shortcomings. The creators of the software are usually on top of them. :)

Thornbrake

So, I know you've done a TON of work on these forums, and I think you have this planned already, but any chance of having a photo upload option in the comments. I know I sound lazy, but going through the extra step of using imgur is a pain. And I'm no good with remembering HTML code. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, the ability to hyperlink text within the comment would be awesome.

THANKS!

Rob

Yes, definitely. It needs both an upload button and a drag and drop

**Edit:** DONE. But no Drag n Drop, oh well.

Thornbrake

Rob said: Yes, definitely. It needs both an upload button and a drag and drop

You're the best!

Thornbrake

Three cheers to @Rob for adding the "Add Image" button! And for making links work.

To demonstrate, THIS is how I feel about these additions: http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/KOBW/KOBW04/_Kings%20of%20the%20Broken%20Wheel%20-%204_page=1#_18#

Sun Village Party

Tavie

@Thornbrake Perfect image to illustrate joy!

This is what I think of it, @Rob:
purfek