ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Forum guidelines discussion

Rob

Forum guidelines will be posted presently. This is a thread to talk about them, offer suggestions, and get relief.

Nibblet

In the first rule, does that cover ableism and body shaming? I'm guessing it does, but just in case it ever happens, it'd be nice to go "look, it says in the rules you're not allowed to call me a retard" because that might be hilarious to some people but to most disabled people its pretty damn offensive.

Heather

Nibblet said: In the first rule, does that cover ableism and body shaming? I'm guessing it does, but just in case it ever happens, it'd be nice to go "look, it says in the rules you're not allowed to call me a retard" because that might be hilarious to some people but to most disabled people its pretty damn offensive.

Excellent point and yes, it does cover all of that. It would also cover things like "You're such an idiot" or the like.
We are allowed to disagree with each other and have debate, but when it results to any type of insults, bullying, harassing, behavior, etc it causes a hostile environment.

Thornbrake

Rob said: If you are obnoxious within the rules, your heart will be fed to the wolves.

He just couldn't resist one little bit of snark. ;-)

Seriously though folks, one of my favorite things about Elfquest is how, by and large, especially compared to other fandoms, excellently we treat each other. I don't anticipate many issues that will require we Howlkeepers to step in, but it's nice to have some official guidelines that we can all go by.

Embala

Thornbrake said: He just couldn't resist one little bit of snark. ;-)
fits EQ ^^

almost off topic: Want to say how much I like the picture choice ... with Leetah lurking.

Embala

I wonder ...

Embala

... why this thread does not appear on top of the list when there's a new post.

@Rob A bug?

Rob

Fixed it.

The thread sank because it's split from a sticky post which is always at the top. But it's easy to set it to act normally.

MultiMEDEA

Wow.

What a big fat mess this site has become, from its glory days as a COMMUNITY. Just seems to have turned into some people's personal pet EQ project.

To the rest of the old gang, it was swell when it lasted. I don't think I will ever post here again. Shade and Sweet water 'til we meet up again. (mourning howl for what was)

Rob

@MultiMEDEA Alas, the old site was running on old, broken software and had very low activity. You haven't posted yourself since last summer, after all. What would you like to see done differently?

Elfquest.com really is "some people's personal pet EQ project", by the way. It shouldn't be a mystery who they are.

That fact gets lost, sometimes, in our entitlements and nostalgia.

Tavie

MultiMEDEA said: What a big fat mess this site has become

Yeah, it really is TERRIBLE to see people posting on this forum daily again! What a mess! All these discussions about Elfquest and such. Who wants that? It was so much easier to get through these discussions when they were EMPTY AND DESERTED.

Leanan

I'd just like to say that I have no complaints about how the site is currently being managed. I understand that the admins are still working on the settings and features. Thank you for making this forum for us, Rob&co.!

Rob

Cheers! And if you want/expect/hope for certain features or have suggestions, we are all ears.

The remaining to-do is pretty small: to pick some of the old threads to turn into a "best of" section, and to link the new character biographies to their character threads. So it's probably time to start a thread for suggestions/thoughts/ideas now that the general snarl of getting everything set up and imported from the old database is done.

Leanan

I do have some suggestions, and I'm sure others do too, so a suggestions topic would make sense.

Tam

I admit that the much more streamlined version of the forums took a little getting used to, and it still seems very Spartan in comparison to the old layout...but I think this is ultimately going in the right direction :) I applaud all the hard work going into creating this space, and I while the forums now seem quite plain, I am much more active in this incarnation.

Rob

Suggestions!

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/comment/583546

Thornbrake

Suggestions thread is an awesome idea. Don't let sour grapes get to you @Rob. You've put an enormous amount of work into breathing new life here--and it's WORKING. There's more activity here, by more people, than we've seen in years. You've been so collaborative and open to suggestions. You can't please everyone all of the time, and that's ok because no one is being forced to participate here if they don't want to.

PCoquelin

MultiMEDEA said: Wow.

What a big fat mess this site has become, from its glory days as a COMMUNITY. Just seems to have turned into some people's personal pet EQ project.

To the rest of the old gang, it was swell when it lasted. I don't think I will ever post here again. Shade and Sweet water 'til we meet up again. (mourning howl for what was)

Whoa..

Keep cool, MultiMEDEA!

It is simply the result of poor Rob's efforts to obey some nastybad-editor-bigthing,
who happens to strongly prefer a "mobile-phone-friendly" website to a classic one.

Nothing to mourn about, really.

Shade and sweet water!

JRoseberry

My suggestion is that the people who have been in the forums forever, keep in mind that a LOT of new people will be coming here, and not all of them will know that a thread was started, say four or five years ago. New threads will be created about old topics. Be kind and hopefully we will see something that will make it easy to move threads together.

Heather

JRoseberry said: My suggestion is that the people who have been in the forums forever, keep in mind that a LOT of new people will be coming here, and not all of them will know that a thread was started, say four or five years ago. New threads will be created about old topics. Be kind and hopefully we will see something that will make it easy to move threads together.

This is an excellent observation and very true. We cannot expect new users to know what has passed before, nor necessarily even be able to find the old thread. Some of the titles can be different to what others may perceive.
We will eventually move to better merging, splitting, etc for threads. And even if a new thread gets started on an old topic, it's okay. Especially if that topic hasn't been active for years.

Embala

Heather said: We cannot expect new users to know what has passed before, nor necessarily even be able to find the old thread.
Has anyone? Multiple threads on the same or a similar topic happened again and again from the very beginning of the Scroll until now and it will happen in future.

JRoseberry said: New threads will be created about old topics. Be kind and hopefully we will see something that will make it easy to move threads together.
And it was never an issue. The Preservers simply closed the newer or less lively one or merged it. I don't remember that the "elders" ever were not kind because of this.

JRoseberry

Not saying that anyone was unkind, More of a statement that we need to be less abrasive, tolerant...insert whatever word you wish here.

Embala

@JRoseberry, I know you refer to me. I apologize that my wording sounded rude or ... intolerant. What I intended with my answer for you was no more and no less than pointing you to others who had thoughts about this topic, too. I thought you might find it interesting. I'm sorry that I did it in an awkward way and hurt you.

Yes, I informed the admin about the probably doubled thread and asked whether this is a candidate for merging. Just some days ago several old threads were merged quite self evident. It seemed not to be an issue with Suntop's thread and others.

@Heather Is it nekroposting to return to a character thread when new facts or point of views turn up? Or when a new/returned member is interested in this character, too? It seams natural for me to revive the character thread in this case.

There was one rather strict rule on the old Scroll : "One thread per character" in the Keeping in Charackter section. And though no one was frowned about opening another one accidentally the Preservers actively took care. I ask for the tolarance to give an "old" member the chance to learn new rules ... which are nowhere written to inform oneself but must be learned by try and error.
I don't apologize that I still think that it makes sense to gather informations and discussions about ONE character in ONE place.

Heather

@Embala-If you have any questions please refer to the forum guidelines here. In regards to this subject, read the second sentence under "Tips".
Something cool is coming with character threads in the next day or two.

Tavie

@PCoquelin

It is simply the result of poor Rob's efforts to obey some nastybad-editor-bigthing,
who happens to strongly prefer a "mobile-phone-friendly" website to a classic one.

Posting from a mobile phone right now- I'm away from home with no access to a computer and very happy to be able to check into the forum from here.

I think this "Richard forcing Rob to make a mobile-friendly site" idea is a bit silly- no disrespect, it's just that, you know, the world evolves. Technology and online communication evolve. The notion of a "classic" web forum just doesn't even make sense to me - and remember all the griping the last time the Scroll was redesigned? People are always going to resist change at first. But change isn't bad. Change is "The Way".

Just my $.02.

Tam

For what it's worth, I think PC was being facetious. ;) I definitely agree with people resisting change. But it IS The Way. Most will embrace it.

Rob

The mobile layout is a bit rough, BTW. Fixing soon.

Heather

8820716260559f9d0946bfade57314ce31e5dd9077a5d330bba1f6635c64a515

Tavie

@Rob oh good. I had to go into "Full Site" mode to quote in my last reply- and it's a bit hard on my rapidly-aging eyes!

PCoquelin

Tavie said: People are always going to resist change at first. But change isn't bad. Change is "The Way".

lol

I'm all for change..
..but I favour even more open discussions about changes..

.. BEFORE they happen!

Tavie

PCoquelin said: ..but I favour even more open discussions about changes..

.. BEFORE they happen!

Good, that's just what Rob is inviting. :)

Rob

The suggestions thread, for anyone wondering.