ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

I'm hoping to start off a holt...

Rae_treeshaper

I'm hoping to start a Forum based Holt. Which would be both RPG and fan based. What does everyone think? And would it be a good idea to do an email based fanzine?

Rob

The more the merrier! Holts are a lot of work, but very rewarding. 

Rae_treeshaper

Thanks Rob, You seem to look younger every day on here heh heh! ... I'd need to figure out the rules etc and how to lay out the forum first lol.

Tam

I would start with explaining what exactly that means. Fan based? Hopefully all the players are fans. What exactly is an email-based fanzine?

Take some time and figure out what you really want out of this game. Do you want something like Oakleaf...forum-based roleplaying, story-driven, multiple tribes? Do you want something more like River Twine...less traditional roleplay, more about longer stories and art? Do you want to go to how the holts were way back when, when people sent in their stories and art and you printed and bound them in a book to send to the players a few times a year?

In terms of where, if you don't have forum-building experience, I recommend ProBoards. I dig it. Honestly, it's the only one I've ever used, so it's the only thing I can really recommend. Back in the day (WAAAAAAAAAAAY back) when I ran my first holts, I made websites for them using...angelfire and geocities, so I could have something pretty to point to for advertising, and the main gameplay took place on Yahoo! Groups. I haven't been on Yahoo! Groups since my last holt folded years ago, so maybe it's improved, but it was a bit chaotic for me.

What do you want to play? Do you want to play characters directly from canon and their possible children (Vineleaf would fall in this category)? If you want to play actual canon characters like Nightfall and Redlance, you might want to look into the legality of that. If you want to make up your own tribe, that's a bit easier. Which tribe do you want to play? Do you want only Wolfriders, or do you want more than that? Do you want non-traditional tribes...cat-riders, for example? What time period do you want to play in? Timmorn's time? Two-Spear's time? Current times? Future times? Do you want to play on Abode or not? 

That's just the beginning...

Rae_treeshaper

Thanks Tam, im just starting it off as a basic fan page so far that is I hope is ok.... Thanks for your reply I will take into consideration and feel free to join and remind me!!! lol...

http://greatoakholt.forummotion.com/

Tam

It's your holt, whatever you want to do is okay. ;) Just take some time to figure out what you want from this experience, and feel free to ask questions...I've been running holts on and off for over thirteen years, and I know there are many other experienced DMs here who will let you pick their brains.

Nibblet

Good luck with it, its a lot of work

Peacekeeper

Rae, I commend you and wish you great luck with it!  I've been looking frantically for a holt, but they are either full or not let in wanderers.  I've wanted a home with my elf Peacekeeper I've had for some time.  If and when you start I wish to know and look out for it and hope you don't mind certain riders.  PK is a bearrider.  I can't wait to get back into a story!  Thanks!

Steve Thomas (Peacekeeper)

Peacekeeper

Oh Rae, I meant to add your avatar is extremely beautiful!!!

Steve (PK)

Rae_treeshaper

Hello Peacekeep Steve,

Strange name for an elf heh heh. Commend?? I've not heard that said before... then again have I? and as Nibblet says it is but I have help @Leanan please let that link to her work... is helping me a great deal! We just need a few more member snow! ... Wanderers it depends what kind of wandereres @Peacekeeper If you are on there please say hello and introduce yourself! ... let me know who you are friend of forests! :) Are you a Go-back or a Wolfrider so far we only have them ... although no more treeshapers in the wolfrider tribe lol we already have two! ... What is a Bearrider? oh rides bears? My avatar beautifull? *looks slightly confused* Are you meaning this one or my fb one?

Shade and SweetWater, Rae. )O(

Leanan

A bearrider? Interesting. I see no reason why we couldn't have a wanderer character appear and meet either of the two tribes. Just not too many wanderers... that'd dominate the story overmuch. Looking forward to meeting your character!

Peacekeeper

I'll get back to your replies soon, have to go to work. But is there a site established yet I can visit to join/read about the tribes? Talk to you all soon!

PK

Leanan

Yes, we have a forum site, and chartacter forms are already available. We haven't written all the info yet, and the RP hasn't started. You can find us at:

http://greatoakholt.forummotion.com/

Peacekeeper

Rae, I was talking your avatar maker version. Very nice. Leanan, yours is intriguing too! Yes Rae, bearriders do ride bears and Peacekeeper is bear-blooded as well. His mother was a Sun Folk maiden his father (also a bearrider), took her back to his home Bearwood Holt (I know how original). She rode for some time a go-back amongst the bearriders, but Peacekeeper has been amongst several holts with different animal bloods (wolfriders, go-backs, cheetah clan, etc.) He's a true traveller of 479 turns of age. You can ask Sofia about him, and I also have a prepared CIS wherever he goes. I can send it if you like to see him. Leanan, I'm glad to see you find him interesting. Like to know about your elves too. I'll see if I can send you his CIS. Talk to you soon.

Peacekeeper

Well, I THOUGHT I had a CIS of him, but I just remembered it is in a laptop that recently 'died'. Maybe I can redo it. Sorry for the trouble.

Sofia

@Peacekeeper - I think I still have Peacekeeper's CIS on my computer. I'm on my way to work now, but I'll get back to you tonight :)

Peacekeeper

Thank you Sofia. I'm heading to work now. Will get in touch soon.

Peacekeeper

Sofia, did you find PK's CIS?

Sofia

Sorry, I had to do overtime at work and forgot to look when I got home. I'll look for it tonight.

Peacekeeper

I got it Sofia and tweaked it for them. Wow, it works out great! Thanks so much for your help sweet one! Are you thinking of joining and making elf/elves for Great Oak Holt? We can use the elves and you are most welcome from us all!!!

Sofia

Good that you got it. Not sure I have the time for another Holt right now, I'm afraid. I'm still admin of Survivors of a Lost Holt and now Beacon Call Holt + I'm a player member of Wild Forest Holt and the Dancing Lights Holt.

But we'll see. Is there some way to become a reader-member of Great Oak Holt?

Peacekeeper

Understood. You can ask Rae about that, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Vaeri

i think i kind of want to join this! i've been looking for a holt to roleplay in for years with my Sunvillager character Vaeri. she has no powers, she's just a pleasant weaver. would there be a place for her...?

Stormchaser

There's always place for more players. On the moment we have Go-Backs, Wolfriders and I believe one wanderer (with a bear for a bond). You should contact our Chieftess if Sunvillagers are allowed but I believe she had some trouble accesing our Holt.

Leanan

You are very welcome, Vaeri. You can join the forum and make a character right away if you like, but to start RPing you have to wait a bit because we are experiencing technical difficulties at the moment. (Meaning that our Holt leader cannot access the Holt forum at all for the time being). Meanwhile, you can get to know the rest of us and our characters.

I very much love the fact that your character has no powers. We have quite a bunch of magic-users already.

Stormchaser, what name are you on the Holt forum? Somehow I did not realize you were one of our players under another name!

Vaeri

i shall keep this in mind....my biggest thing is i've always wanted to join a holt that was fairly active...like i'd go on and see at least a couple new posts a day, ya know?

and yes, Vaeri has no powers other than creative design...meaning she'd probably be the first to figure out how to make cloth from surrounding plants and make real clothes...though if someone could tell her about tanning, she could possibly become the tribes new tanner and clothings elf.

Stormchaser

@Leanan It's Hail.

@Vaeri, through some miracilous gene pool we happen to have a lot of treeshapers on the moment. My character Hail also has no powers so it would be fun to have another character around with different talents than magic users.

Vaeri

and she'll probably introduce them to cooking meat over a fire....XD

Stormchaser

Hahaha, (my character) Hail is going to have a heat attack at this rate, she's still not used to the bear that's roaming the Holt.

Vaeri

i wonder, would i be able to keep her origin story? she's from a sun villager tribe that was mostly killed by humans?

Leanan

@Vaeri, we were an active Holt such as you described, until some recent issues we had, of which the technical problems is one. I am hoping we can be an active Holt again soon.

And I can promise you that you can keep your Sun Villager origin story, because our 'wanderer' character, Peacekeeper, is the son of a Sun Villager mother, so we already have them existing somewhere in our world. You could even ask Steve (Peacekeeper's player) if he'd like Vaeri and Peacekeeper to know each other, maybe even be related.

@Stormchaser *waves* Hello there! :D

Vaeri

i will most certainly have to! children of mixed tribes are always easy to recognize when one parent is Sun Folk! so i suppose it may be possible, and a bit fun...and provide a bit of stability for Vaeri, just because she is rather unstable after the lose of her tribe....such fun.^^

Leanan

Looking forward to you joining us! Ask me if you need help with anything!

Vaeri

well i think i'll wait until the technical difficulties are resolved! i'll simply be too anxious to start when i sign up!^^

Leanan

I understand. I will let you know when we are active again!

Vaeri

thank you very much Leanan! i think perhaps i'll pm this Steve and discuss/finetune a possible story!

Leanan

Good idea! You can contact him on the Holt forum, or right here on the EQ forum, where he has the username 'Peacekeeper'.

Vaeri

we have worked out a rather fun storyline together! the details of which shall be discovered when Vaeri is introduced...also i'd like the extend the offer, as i did to steve, that if anyone would like help hammering out a storyline idea, i work as a roleplay mod and admin on two different sites. not to say you guys probably arn't creative enough to come up with your own! but just extending the offer so ya'll know it's there cause i know sometimes, a certain little detail can elude and taunt you.^^

also, i hope you don't mind me posting this here, but i have a newly drawn picture of Vaeri, so everyone knows what she looks like!

this will be her beginning outfit, until she can work leather or someone gives her some, which i will draw next. that is a question i'd like to ask, is anyone in this tribe a leather worker, or has some idea of how it works so they could tell her?

Vaeri

also steve tells me i need a character sheet and to ask you Leanan

WolfCandy

I was so excited when I saw this! I've been looking for a Holt for a while! Still room for another? *hopeful eyes*

Stormchaser

@WolfCandy Yes, we have some room left :)

Leanan

Sure, you're welcome to join us, WolfCandy! (just as long as you don't want to play any treeshapers!)

Vaeri, she is gorgeous. I hope we can continue this conversation on the Holt forum, because

WE'RE ACTIVE AGAIN. Rae has access to the forum so we are going to get busy!

WolfCandy

I was thinking of doing an elf without magic X)

Do you need more boys or girls? And do you have a healer yet? If not, I was wondering if my character could be the elf who's in the place of a healer till a magic user with healing abilities comes along...?

Leanan

We have some herbal healers, if I remember correctly.

We could definitely use another male, as they are a minority at the moment, but females are welcome too of course.

An elf without magic would be great - like I told Vaeri, we have quite a few magic users already.

WolfCandy

Alrighty... I shall make a male then XD
And do you need Wolfrider or Go-Back?

Stormchaser

At one point or another both tribes will meet so it's what you prefer.

@Vaeri she is indeed gorgous.

Vaeri

very pleased to be a part of a holt now...especially one that's already growing quite nicely!

Leanan

WolfCandy said: And do you need Wolfrider or Go-Back?

We need both!

WolfCandy

Do you want me to make both? XD

Leanan

WolfCandy said: Do you want me to make both? XD

I'm not sure if Rae would allow that. You'll have to ask her for permission.