ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Blood of Ten Chiefs Characters

Mkal

ALMECK

Mkal

Mkal

These are some of my interpretations of characters portrayed in the Blood of Ten Chiefs novels

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-15 at 11.23.32 PM

Thornbrake

Cool!  Who is the first one?

Heather

Thornbrake said: Cool!  Who is the first one?

My question as well!

I also love Fastfire! Especially his eyes.

Mkal

Almeck from "In Memory Green" of the BoTC "Dark Hours". Almeck is the High One that created Dreamberries.

Thornbrake

Mkal said: Almeck from "In Memory Green" of the BoTC "Dark Hours". Almeck is the High One that created Dreamberries.

Oh yes. I haven't read that story in ages. Does it give a description or did you come up with the design yourself (or both!)?

Mkal

@Thornbrake. He was described as having green eyes and black hair. That it all I went on.

If you look in the background, you can see the Palace.

Thornbrake

Mkal said: If you look in the background, you can see the Palace.

Very cool. Totally missed that!

Mkal

Here is a work in progress of Wreath

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 1.30.07 AM

Mkal

The above is my interpretation of Wreath

Mkal

My interpretation of Softfoot

Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 8.28.53 PM

Thornbrake

Here's an interpretation of Timmorn giving Rahnee her spear that I did as part of a book report on one of the BoTC's books, probably around age 12 in 1988.

EQ Rahnee and Timmorn 88

Embala

@Mkal Those first two are awesome ... brings back ancient times.

Almeck's picture is magic. the glowing dreamberries, the moons that somehow mirror on his cheeks, his black hair melting with the shadows. I like the feather adornements - he was going for some beauty in a harsh life.
Is the Palace glow in the background a foreshading? I think Almeck "went to the Palace" immediately after he created the dreamberries as a last gift.

I definitely remember this picture of Zarhan. His locks looks like they are ready to blaze up the next moment. His eyes mirror the fire in this back ... or have enflamed it. I like his longish High-One-like face (yup, I know he is a High One).

Great girls - allow to quote myself. Very contrasts - as they are supposed to be. I figure you took the BotC novelizations as a reference again?
Softfoot makes me think of Rainsong all of a sudden. Soulful, dedicated to her family, prefering a calm life. I don't "know Softfoot - made this up from how your drawing talks to me.
Wreath on the other side ... proud, demanding, active.

@Thornbrake I like the composition and body language in this drawing. Timmorn all dominant and demanding. Rahnee shy and hesitating - in perspective much shorter than The old Chief. It kinda illustrates her status as an omega she-wolf in the pack.
And between them - towering - the spear, symbol of chieftainship.

Mkal

@Thornbrake you were 12 when I was 18. I know it is only six years, but damn I feel old. LOL!

Mkal

@Embala There was not any real description of Softfoot, so I had to go with what I saw with my mind. Wreath was more descriptive with her appearance and demeanor.

Thornbrake

Embala said: I like the composition and body language in this drawing. Timmorn all dominant and demanding. Rahnee shy and hesitating - in perspective much shorter than The old Chief. It kinda illustrates her status as an omega she-wolf in the pack.
And between them - towering - the spear, symbol of chieftainship

Yup, that is what I was going for. Although Rahnee is crouching down on one knee, as well as being set further into the background. I imagine her to be fairly tall, being of the first generations.

Thornbrake

@Mkal I love your Softfoot and Wreath. I picture Wreath totally differently in my mind, but there's something about her expression and that angular haircut that convey her forward personality.

Mkal

@Thornbrake Seeing that Wreath is Laststar's daughter and Laststar and Rahnee were half-sisters and were described as "If Timmorn and Mureel had produced two versions of the same daughter", I took some of Rahnee's features to come up with what Wreath would look like.

Genetics is fun.

Mkal

Windwhisper from Court and Chase

Screen shot 2014-03-19 at 11.23.45 PM

Embala

Caught in the act ;)

It's like Windwhisper meets eyes with the curious viewer. Great drawing - love her expression and braid. It's a pity I don't "know" her.

Mkal

@Embala BoTC Volume 4 "Against the Wind". Court and Chase is the story revolving around Windwhisper. Windwhisper is the Wolfrider rock-shaper that has three suitors, but is Recognized by the true elf, Talen. She decides to keep the father secret, but problems arise from it. She ends up confiding to one of her suitors and then gives birth to twin girls.

Embala

Thanks for the input! *must make time for the prose stories*

Mkal

@Embala They are great ways to spend a quiet day or evening.

Embala

More likely a quiet week ... no, month for me. XD I'm a slow reader in foreign language.

Mkal

Ahhhh.

Mkal

Here is a character that I have been wanting to do for a while. I did a version of her a while back, but cannot find it right now, but I knew that I needed to do a better version of her.

Rellah, the High One.

Rellah

Embala

I'd say you were successful! The moment I saw the drawing I was: "Rellah!" ... then I've read.

The features and expression is so in-character. I love that you gave her a more ... appropriate dress than this moth fabric from the comics.

Mkal

in one of the books it describes that she was wearing russet colored clothing. I do not see moth fabric being that

Embala

XD ... me neither. Not even before I knew the books described it different. Moth fabric is highly illogical at this time!

Mkal

If any fabric was used, it more than likely came from remnants of the clothing of the original High Ones and repurposed as needed. They would not have left perfectly fine materials on the dead when the living could benefit from it.

Thornbrake

Really great! She has that perfect condescending expression of a pure elf living amongst the wild Wolfriders. What I always think about with Rellah is the fact that she is a probably a contemporary of Savah or Aroree or even one of the Wavedancers. How did living in isolation with the early Wolfriders affect her life's outlook?

Mkal

That and she is first-born among the true elves and seemed to fancy herself as Timmain's "equal" and spoke of the sacrifice she made to the tribe constantly. What I find funny about her is the disdain she had for Greywolf, yet recognized his twin brother, Owl.

Startear

!!!

Rellah! One with clothes that makes sense to boot! I love her cold, condescending look she is wearing. Razor sharp cheekbones, and I love her shirt too!

Mkal

Cat. Daughter of Rahnee and Zarhan.

Screen shot 2014-03-21 at 10.03.01 PM

Windwhisper

Windwhisper

Embala

Cat ... a wildcat! Must admit that my first association was "like Kahvi". I thought it's because of the braids ... but that's not the point. It's her eyes and the body language that scream challenge and leadership that made me think of Kahvi.

Now I understand windwhisper's expression better. :)

Awesome sketches, Mkal. It's nice to wake up to such a treat!

Mkal

@Thornbrake being firstborn of the original elves that landed, I guess she would be more of a contemporary to Voll. I bet her and Winnowill would have been besties.

Mkal

Here are better scans of my pencil drawings...

DOVE
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.12.43 PM
RUSHWATER
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.12.59 PM
OWL
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.13.15 PM
ICE
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.13.28 PM
TALEN
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.13.37 PM
WINDWHISPER
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.13.48 PM
RELLAH
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.13.58 PM
CAT
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.14.08 PM
WREATH
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.14.18 PM
SOFTFOOT
Screen shot 2014-03-25 at 9.14.28 PM

Mkal

Now, we will start to ink and color these people...

First: Rella, full elf born of the High Ones and a constant reminder to the Wolfriders of what was lost.

Rellah

Embala

Took me a bit to get back here. And I returned to a pleasant sight and many treats. :D

The clean scans are great. More lively ... the characters can shine. :D

Nice to meet Dove. Big eyes, big mouth - a very characteristic face. Her hair reminds me of Rahnee ... she turned after her Grandma. ^^
Is Rushwater described as shy as she looks in the drawing? Or - is it a sad glance back when she leaves the tribe with her mate?
I like your take on Owl ... very High One like. The decorative pattern around the seams of his clothing gives him a cultivated appearance.
Ice looks as fierce and wild as Rushwater looks soft and shy. Love the snarl. Judging only from the drawings they appear like a Swiftspear/Willowgreen couple.
Talen is very distiguished, very High One again. He's a firstborn right?

WOW... this Rellah is glowing! Awesomeness. *bows*

Mkal

Yes, Talen is a first born. The look of Rushwater is more of her attempt at standing up to Rahnee and Rahnee just ignoring her.

Thanks for the compliments. I am in the process of coloring Talen right now.

Mkal

Talen. First born and lovemate to Rellah.

TALEN

Mkal

Third born of Rahnee the She-Wolf. Ice demanded the name of "Wolfrider"; a name that was for the entire tribe and not him alone. Through challenge, he took the name and half of the tribe away and they all perished, with the exception of Rellah's daughter, Willowgreen, to a pack of bears.

ICE

Embala

THIS ONE ... is a wolf! *claps* Eyes like burnstone - not soft at all, tho. I love the moonlight on his shoulders and knife. The leaf shadows work fab ... make him even more a part of night and woods.

Mkal

Wreath. Niece to Rahnee the She-Wolf and Mother to Huntress Skyfire.

Wreath

MultiFacets

Rellah is even scarier in color. I wouldn't want to feel the brunt of her displeasure in anything!

Night_Tanem

I'm happy I found this one between the many many threads. Mkal, I love these! So beautiful and elegant and and and... =D>

Mkal

Night_Tanem said: So beautiful and elegant and and and...

Thank you! I need to finish inking and coloring the other pencil drawings...

Night_Tanem

I look forward to it!

Niphredil

+1! Really happy to have found this thread, wonderful drawings!

RedheadEmber

Mkal said: Wreath. Niece to Rahnee the She-Wolf and Mother to Huntress Skyfire.

So... would that make her the daughter of Laststar?

Tam

Rahnee had other siblings, but according to ZEFT, yes.

RedheadEmber

I know the elves don't care about those things, but does that mean that Preypacer and Wreath were basically (unwillingly) kissing shacking cousins?

travelbug

Yes.

Laststar disappered from the tribe for about 7 years and returned with Wreath, saying she recognized an elf from a different tribe.

Mkal

Niphredil said: Really happy to have found this thread, wonderful drawings

I will try and get some more drawings up here soon.

Mkal

travelbug said: Laststar disappered from the tribe for about 7 years and returned with Wreath, saying she recognized an elf from a different tribe.

And High Ones only know which tribe that could have been...

WolfCandy

These are amazing!

Night_Tanem

Mkal said: I will try and get some more drawings up here soon.

Yes please :)

RedheadEmber

Mkal said: And High Ones only know which tribe that could have been...

Descendants of some of the other groups which escaped from the Palace.

travelbug

M'kal, I think it says in the story where Zarhan finds Tricksters clan, that some of the clans members does look a bit like Wreath, suggesting her father were one of them.

RedheadEmber

I have a bit of a question:

Three-toe. From what I've been able to gather he seemed to have been pretty, wolfey, which... would make him Timmorn's son. He seems pretty darn disrespecting towards Timmorn in BoTC #1.

Niphredil

Ember, I recently found this thread about Three-toe, in which his lineage is discussed:
elfquest.com/forums/discussion/6426/botc-threetoe-a-question-on-botc-series

Mkal

RedheadEmber said: He seems pretty darn disrespecting towards Timmorn in BoTC #1.

He wanted to lead and was tired of living in Timmorn's shadow.

Sadachbia

I doodled a couple of anthology characters too. May I upload mine? ^^

Mkal

Sure

Sadachbia

These are a little old (drew them in a notebook during class when I was a university student), but perhaps they might still be enjoyed ^^

'cat doodle
Cat, Rahnee and Zarhan's elder daughter

'ice doodle
Ice, who wanted to take the name Wolfrider for himself

'kree doodle
Kree, Cat's younger sister

'laststar doodle
Laststar, possibly the first of Timmorn and Valloa's children? (I think she's mentioned as Rahnee's elder sister.)

'samael doodle
Samael Dreamkeeper, High Ones' firstborn

'starfall concept
Starfall, one of Windwhisper's lovemates

Embala

WOW ... those are goodies, Sadachbia! I must return to this in the evening ...

Night_Tanem

@Embala you should check out her thread two!

Startear

Hey Mkal, should I post my coloring of the Cat image you drew here?

Sadachbia

D'aww, thanks, Embala! Happy to hear you like them! ^^ I also have a deviantART page if you're interested (AmethystSadachbia.deviantART.com) :3

Embala

I like the portraits very much. I really do, Sadachbia. You - and the other artists - help to give those ancient characters a face, inspire imagination or show a varient appearance.

I must admit that I have mot read the prose books. Therefore I can guess only by the mood and impressions your drawings evoke.
Cat looks sad, worried about the future or mourning a loss ...
Ice is young, handsome and confident. More a rebellious youth than a challenger ...
A pensive, serious Kree...
Proud Laststar - very much Rahnee's sister! The were described to look similar, right?
hmmm... she reminds me of Rellah as well.
Samael has a soft vibe ... a calm and well-considered elf. His clothing, as sketchy as it is, has a clear HighOne style.

Starfall turned out different ... like another generation of drawings. Might be the clear background ... but his hair looks fair and smooth, less tousel and the eyes are very ... manga(?). Must admit that I have problems with the eyeline showing above the hairline ... still a very elfquesty style. I like the details of his outfit.

When Night_Tanem pointed me to your thread I wondered ... and then found one with links to your deviantART page, Sadachbia. Hadn't much time to dive in but I like what I've seen so far (mainly the Plainsrunners comic).

Mkal

Startear said: Hey Mkal, should I post my coloring of the Cat image you drew here?

Sure

Startear

My coloring of Mkal's drawing of Cat.

photo CAT_zpsc3997ea4.jpg

Embala

WOW.

It's so fluent. Natural, believable dimmed colors - yet lively!
M'Kal's sketch was very dynamic, caught in action ... your shadowing of the face enhances this impression and the anger she expresses. You became d*** good in coloring, Startear - bet you had lots of practice.

I love collaborations. :)

Mkal

Startear said: My coloring of Mkal's drawing of Cat.

I love the watercolor effect.

Stormsong8

I just have to throw this in. fastfires hair was a deep red, It was mentioned that his hair was something that needed to be covered when hunting because it stood out so much in winter. I could be wrong but it's mentioned in the first book, when Rahnee is left with less than half the tribe, after the hunt goes away.

Mkal

From "Coming of Age" by Lynn Abbey:

20140916_203038

travelbug

Haircolor of the setting sun leaves room for any shade of orange-red, doesn't it?
His hair might be almost like Embers haircolor.
But he is painted with orange hair in BOTC #1 I think

Mkal

I had always pictured his hair was close to the orange-red aspect of flames.

travelbug

I really like him the way you have colored him in the portrait you've made, Mkal :)

Startear

Thanks everyone! The coloring was fun, it just... took... forever. I'm not that happy about the clouds, but I didn't feel like starting over for that. And yeah @Embala, after using his technique for over a year, I have gotten a lot of practice!

Embala

@Startear I cannot guess what you had in mind for the clouds, Startear ... but I really like how they turned out. It's like they are charged with Cat's energy and anger. They add much to the mood.