ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Merging and splitting threads

Rob

This discussion was created from comments split from: PIKE and are now HERE

faeriegirl

Maybe merge this thread with this one, @rob ?

Rob

Good idea!

Something cool is coming IMMINENTLY on character threads -- they'll be published with the actual character biographies at elfquest.com, thereby setting their official-ness in digital stone.

When that happens, duplicate threads will be merged, carefully pruned for dead image links, old broken code tidied up, move off-topic comments, etc.

faeriegirl

Awesome. But until then... ;)

Rob

Soon! It'll go something like this, I guess:

• The most recent page of the character thread will show up under the bio on the character bio page (e.g. elfquest.com/pike). Then folks can see they can jump right in and join the forums.

• Any broken code will be repaired. (e.g. Jeb's post here) Dead images will be removed, though, to fix stuff like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 5.16.57 PMred x broken link
broken

• Duplicated character threads, such as that one you link you suggested, will be merged...

• ... except for any tangents that were so off-topic they shouldn't really be merged in. These would be split off to create new threads.

This covers the basics, but we've been wondering about anything else that might be neat to do (or best not to do) with character threads. There'll be some notice (and a thread for anyone to offer suggestions) before it's done, so look out for that.

Nibblet

Will you be deleting peoples posts altogether if they are deemed to veer off topic? Or will they simply be moved elsewhere so that they still exist?

Rob

They'd be moved:

Rob said: ... except for any tangents that were so off-topic they shouldn't really be merged in. These would be split off to create new threads.

For example, this little tangent here doesn't actually belong in the Pike thread! It'll be split off to create a new thread presently.

Nibblet

no tangent on my part, not sure where that came from O.o
Just delete my comment if its tangenty

Rob

The tangent would be this whole mini-discussion that started here about what we're going to do with character bios and such. It's not about Pike -- so it might be a good idea to split it off into a new discussion where people might find it more easily.

So, a question: why would I delete your post? It's weird how this anxiety keeps surfacing, when I don't think anything has ever been deleted.

Nibblet

what anxiety? I'm not really sure what it is you're asking. I'm not anxious about anything.

Rob

Anxiety about having things deleted. Was that done routinely in the past?

Nibblet

No, that wasn't why I asked the question. I think you misunderstood me, sweetie. I asked because sometimes the way you say things can be a little complex for those who's first language isn't English. I was merely asking so as to clarify that particular point because some people don't feel comfortable asking it, whereas I do. That's all it was :)

Rob

I was merely asking so as to clarify that particular point because some people don't feel comfortable asking it, whereas I do

That's what I figured.

Nibblet

:)
next time I ask a question that looks dumb, its because its a point that needs clarifying for some people. Patience is a virtue ;)

Rob

Who are "some people"? That you're asking questions for people who "don't feel comfortable" suggests more passive-aggressive silliness to me.

Nibblet

I'm not about to name people that don't want to be named. And I'm not entirely sure what you are insinuating either.

Rob

Asking questions about this stuff on behalf of people "who don't want to be named" is world-class passive-aggression on their part. And a bit creepy! Will I get strangled in my bed by assassins if I give the wrong answer? :D

There's nowt "complex" about saying "split off to create new threads". ESL or not, this obviously does not mean deletions.

Sadly, I fear this represents more of this: http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/8284/a-few-words/p1

No-one has to participate in that nonsense, if they don't want to.

Nibblet

Sigh.
I mentioned in my post that the way some things are worded are complex to those who's first language isn't English. Not everyone is as fluent as the next person and some have difficulty translating some things. That is what I meant. There was no passive aggressive anything anywhere. I was simply speaking for those who are too intimidated to do so themselves. Objectively. Obviously that didn't come across to you. Lets just agree to disagree then.

Nibblet

There are lots of things I am, but being called creepy in public, by an admin is uncalled for. Creepy is stalking people. Creepy is pretending to be another person in order to check their online conversations with other people. Creepy is not asking questions.

Rob

Well, I'm talking about those who do not want to be named. You're just the messenger, apparently!

Nibblet said: Creepy is pretending to be another person in order to check their online conversations with other people

What you're referring to, for those who might be curious, is the fact that certain longtime forum participants here were talking at another forum about testing our tolerance for trolling. We were told about it, and I went and logged into the public chatroom there under a pseudonym to check it out.

I wouldn't care but for the fact it suggested we'd already wasted a lot of time fulfilling those people's (insincere?) requests for features, something we'd been pretty diligent about doing, delaying the upgrades for a couple of months. They were reasonable enough ideas, at least, so it's no big deal.

It doesn't surprise me that they're the people who "don't want to be named", but thanks for making it clear! "Intimidated?" Sheesh!

RichardPini

I'm going to weigh in here (as, from time to time I must). It saddens me a bit to hear that among us there are "those who are too intimidated to do so themselves." First, intimidation is a strong word; it implies activity against someone to cause fright or to coerce. And if I have any evidence that someone here is engaging in such acts, that person will be history. Now, maybe there are some here who feel shy - who "don't want to be named" - for some other reason. That's different, and it's not for me - or anyone else - to judge that without knowing. I will only say that I hope those folks will overcome their shyness - whatever the cause - and come to participate face-to-face (so to speak). I prefer direct words, and give them value. If words come second-hand, I won't take them as seriously - because I'm not getting them direct from the source. And I would like to.

lunakat

For what it's worth, I just went back and read the entire exchange, and I don't think Nibblet was being passive aggressive. I think she asked a specific question about a specific statement that she misunderstood and needed to have clarified, and she offered, as an explanation for her misunderstanding, the fact that English is her second language. That's very legitimate. I did get a sense of frustration on Rob's part- he seems to be answering the same question over and over, and his response seemed a little defensive. I can understand where he's coming from, having put a lot of work into creating this new forum... and it's great! But in this case, the question was not a passive aggressive attack on the part of the questioner- it was just a misunderstanding.

And I do think that, sometimes, it can be intimidating to express yourself in a second language. That's a natural. People often are shy in that kind of situation. There is no need to be shy, because none of us are judgemental- and we are all usually impressed by esl. But yeah... totally normal.

Rob

Nibblet isn't esl. Nor was she being passive aggressive.

She was asking the question on behalf of particular ESL forum user(s) who don't want to be identified, and whose involvement here had to be teased out, simply to figure out why this (repeatedly answered) question was being asked again.

This is frustrating, obviously, because it's so confusing. And doubly so because the same people said outright that they were "testing" us.

That behavior, with the associated "we're too intimidated to ask ourselves!" thing, is what's passive-aggressive. Everyone's free to say what they want, and nothing's ever been deleted! It's all so ... confusing.

I don't know why they're doing that, really, but I guess all there is to do is try and ignore it, and get on with making the forums welcoming and interesting to people who *do* like them.

Rob

P.S. There's been fantastic suggestions in the suggestion thread, too, and we're gonna get to reviewing them all soon.

The bottom line is that it's been fun working on the eq forums and getting new features set up.

RichardPini

I want to say something, as one of only two people who may rightly claim to have been with Elfquest since the very beginning:

I have had many conversations - via letters, email, private message, phone, Skype, you name it - with Elfquest readers from all over the globe. Some of these lovely people, for whom English is a second language, speak it quite well. (Better than certain native speakers, in fact!) Some have yet to get a handle on the fine points, yet still convey their thoughts quite well. From what I see and read, there is no one here in the EQ Forums, who has reason, relating to language skills, to be timid about saying or asking what they want.

Now, if there is any shyness for other reasons, that's a different discussion, and one I'm willing to take part in. I insist upon only one "rule" however and that is that anyone and everyone concerned speak for him/herself, without fear. Because otherwise there's too much room for misinterpretation and misunderstanding. And because having one's own voice is how an Elfquest tribe works.