ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Tanner - The 7th chief of the wolfriders

Badger

I needed for some pictures of him, and started wondering... Why he has no thread? Well, anyway, if I'm the only Tanner-fan, then so be it.

I don't know much about him.
Tanner was first known as Oakroot. He was Freefoot's son and the 7th leader.
Um...

But still, as I read OQ first time, I noticed him. Looked so gentle.
I liked him. Still like.

JadeOwl

I like him. He's the sort of gentle scientist of the elves, quietly making his mark on his tribe. His reign was uneventful and peaceful (at least compared to the rest).

I had a Tanner avatar at one point. Gotta hunt that up.

Minouche

Actually he is one of my favorite characters, but technology being hermetic to me, I haven't figured out how to create athread. So, thanks a bunch for doing it.

Badger

No worries, muriel, it was my pleasure. :)

So, Tanner has worked as a rolemodel for one character of mine.
I like his calmness and the 'gentle scientist' side, to borrow Jade Owl's words (like your av, by the way.)

Too bad, that I've seen Tanner only twice ever. And heard nothing about him. I presume that he has not been one of the most popular ones anyway.

Badger

[img:635e79f578]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hnich/tan3.jpg[/img:635e79f578]
Young Oakroot

[img:635e79f578]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hnich/tan5.jpg[/img:635e79f578]
Slightly older Oakroot

[img:635e79f578]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hnich/tan1.jpg[/img:635e79f578]
As a High One

[img:635e79f578]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hnich/tan2.jpg[/img:635e79f578]
Chief Tanner

[img:635e79f578]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hnich/tan6.jpg[/img:635e79f578]
A small head pic from The Captives Of Blue Mountain
(My absolute favourite!)

[img:635e79f578]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/hnich/tan4.jpg[/img:635e79f578]
From Blood Of The Ten Chiefs Plate.

Badger

Hnich generously shared these pics with me, as I requested those.

innie

[quote:132541c03a="Badger"]Too bad, that I've seen Tanner only twice ever. And heard nothing about him. I presume that he has not been one of the most popular ones anyway.[/quote:132541c03a]

It's not that he wasn't popular or anything, there just didn't happen life-changing events for the wolfrider tribe under his reign. Like we all know Two-Spear and Skyfire because of the effects their fight had on the future of the wolfriders, but what do we know about Prey-Pacer or Freefoot? Even if you have read all the botc anthologies, you don't get to know a lot about them. There are even more stories about how Tanner was as a chief.

Prism

Well actually there was one canon event. Tanner discovered the secret of making soft,comfortable leather and later tanners including Moonshade follow his formula.

SilverIce

Yah, Human PEE

ulmtwen

Yeah, that was pretty gross. But Tanner is cool! :D

I won't say he was my favourite of the ten chiefs, that spot is probably reserved for Bearclaw, but he has always held a mystique for me. I like how gentle he is, that reminds me of Redlance. I found the story where he recognized Stormlight really sweet, how he waited for her to go on a quest for her soul name, resisted Recognition, for her.

Minouche

[quote:2678a65654="ulmtwen"]Yeah, that was pretty gross. But Tanner is cool! :D
[/quote:2678a65654]
Don't knock it. It's what the Romans used and it led to the invention of the public toilets by the Roman emperor Vespasien (they were still called Vespasiennes in France when I was a child) It allowed a vastly cheaper way to collect the necessary urine, and made leather afordable to most romans.

Badger

We all need inventors for better solutions. Tanner is one kind of inventor.

Embala

Tanner - Blood of Six Chiefs

Lonetree

Let's not forget that he had what was easily the cutest bond animal of all time, Winterleaf. I have no idea what Winterleaf was, but he was adorable! It showed Oakroot/Tanner's strength of character when he freed him from the bond and let him go free.

Minouche

Yes indeed. And, since I too am a feline lover, it endears him to me even more. He had no magic power, but had a powerful brain and a great heart: my kind of guy Luvlove

Startear

The story about Winterleaf was and is still my favorite in Blood of Ten Chief's comics. His expressions are so cute. And I'm not trading this banner away for anything in the world!

*hugs banner, and Oakroot and Winterleaf*

Vojira

I have to say he's so damn cute in that story he makes his father seem like utter jerk.

And he just looks so nice on the Chief's plate. He just draws you in.

Startear

I don't feel like Freefoot is a jerk in that story. His father is very honest with Oakroot, he admits that he doesn't understand, but tries to.

Vojira

Quote:

I don't feel like Freefoot is a jerk in that story. His father is very honest with Oakroot, he admits that he doesn't understand, but tries to.

I said 'seem' for a reason. XD Tanner was a little kid who (from what I remember) saw him self as being less worth then the other of his tribe. (Something he does even as an adult, if I remember right.)

That kinda makes one feel for him.

Freefoot strikes me as nice person. His son's views on himself seems very troubling.

Embala

This picture of Tanner and his Recognizzed Stormlight must be enough for now ...

... hope to bring more somewhen later.

There's a real "Tanner through the Ages" possible with the available stuff ...

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Allura

Embala

I absolutely love to see Tanner as an elder. He reminds me of Voll - just so slightly. His costume, the colors and adornements - it almost proves his "profession" ... and you show him working his leathers Smile

It's great to have a chief who is not an outstanding hunter or warrior - or magic user - ... but have a common, seemingly boring skill. And when you think about it it becomes clear that his discovery and talent was so very important for the evles!