ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Jarrah: Silver and Silent

The_Wylde_Wynd

I noticed she didn't have one so I decided to make a thread for one of my favorite characters, who I've always wanted to see more of. This my friends is for Rayek's lovely and intreging mother, Jarrah.

krwordgazer

True, Wylde Wynd-- and she is an interesting, if obscure character.

Hope you don't mind if I rename your post slightly so her name shows in the topic title-- for ease of discussion. :)

The_Wylde_Wynd

[quote:e36d7df39a="krwordgazer"]Hope you don't mind if I rename your post slightly so her name shows in the topic title-- for ease of discussion. :)[/quote:e36d7df39a]

I don't mind in the least. Glad to have another Jarrah fan on board! :D

MichaelChandler

Go ahead and make it three, because the parents of Rayek are like... two of the best parents to ever have a Sunfolk child!

GOOOOOO JAAAAAAAARRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(and Ingen)lol Grin

manga

I wish you all the best of luck. Have fun in here. As far as I'm concerned, Rayek's parents were emotionally abusive at worst and painfully clueless at best. I'm not saying that to attack them or those who like them; it's just the way I feel about them.

I will be interested to see why y'all like Jarrah. I'm always willing to have good points pointed out to me. :)

krwordgazer

Well, actually, I'm not sure whether I like her or not. I didn't say in my earlier post that I liked her, just that I thought she was an interesting character.

I do think she and Ingen weren't the best of parents. Rayek seems to have this deep-seated belief that he somehow has to "earn" worthiness, has to work hard to get love. A belief like that, one that's so deep inside no evidence to the contrary can get the person to act otherwise-- has to come from somewhere. And from what I saw of his childhood, I think it came from Ingen and Jarrah's neglect.

But no, I don't think they were abusive parents. I recognize that the terrible drought, and the need to survive, might have affected their abilities to nurture a child at that point in Sun Village history. I blame Rayek's problem more on the drought and the effects it had on the village more than anything or anyone else.

And I'd like to know more about his parents. They interest me.

The_Wylde_Wynd

I definately agree that Ingen and Jarrah could've been far better parents, but I've also always wanted to see what they would've been like if it hadn't been for the drought. I do have a far greater sympathy and like of Jarrah becuase she always seemed to be kinder and more careing about Rayek then Ingen.

Minouche

I don't think that they were deliberately neglectful or insensitive. They do berate him sometimes, but they also praise him. I think they are simply clueless in dealing with this child who resembles them so little. His personality is different from anything the can even conceive. Parents of exceptional children are often at loss, and, because, even among elves, Rayek is exceptional, I think that's what happened here. They gave what they knew how to give. It just wasn't what Rayek needed.

GreyGirl

Also, don't forget that Rayek was the first child born to the Sun Village in yonks. Not only did his parents not have a baby manual, they didn't even have any experience to speak of with younger villagers, and precious few people around who could remember what it was like to have a baby. So they probably didn't really have a clue as to how to handle him.

Plus Rayek was growing up without peers: NOT a good experience for anyone.

It's tough being a parent at the best of times: I don't think Ingen and Jarrah had a chance. They were probably quite relieved when he moved in with Savah.

Grey Girl

krwordgazer

Good points, Grey Girl. :)

And Rayek can't have been the easiest child to raise. Strong-willed is putting it mildly. Wink

Fourleafclover

I enjoy Jarrah's design... I mean... silver hair? Like Savah's? Why silver?

I guess... why not?

Arthis

because she's got silver hair, as seen in The Enemy's Face

krwordgazer

Lucky Arthis, who has it in color. . . :(

I figured her hair was black like Rayek's. Thanks for letting me know! :)

The_Wylde_Wynd

I've always wondered if maybe Jarrah is a decendent of Savah's.

Treefox

I see a high possibility, as most of the Sun Villagers are descendents of Savah.

Willowspring

i think i have a pic of Jarrah with her beautiful silver hair

Treefox

Yep, I've just scanned one pic where it can be seen.

That's all you really ever see of her hair. Too bad.

Willowspring

that was the one i was going to put on!!! ^^ i think thats the only picture i know of her showing her hair

The_Wylde_Wynd

I love this picture! Don't suppose anyone can and would be willing to make me an avatar out of it?

crescent1325

Do you want the whole thing as an avi or just her head or what?

The_Wylde_Wynd

Either or both is good, thankies. :D

Treefox

Sorry, Willowspring, we had the same thought at the same time. It's also probably the picture, where she (especially the hair) can be seen most closely.

Willowspring

Quote:
Treefox

Sorry, Willowspring, we had the same thought at the same time. It's also probably the picture, where she (especially the hair) can be seen most closely.

its alright hun... i wish just saying i think i know what picture to put on that would show her hair :oops:

StarShine

I didn't know Rayek had parents ( at least named ones with personalities and the like) but it's good to see that Rayek actually has reasons for being himself. I feel a little sorry for Rayek's parents though that they didn't have like a baby manual or anything, the first kid in the Sun Villiage in YEARS that's a little scary, wow.

I wonder what rayek was like a kid?

Suzene

Probably had the usual self-centered, attention-demanding qualities of childhood ramped up the nth degree.

Personally, I wouldn't be nominating Rayek as an example of a loving son, either. The panel where he's referring to his own parents as "dirt-grubbers" or "dirt-diggers" just makes me want to tell him to get over himself already.

Kathleen

Funny thing is, this is a good example of Recognition screwing up, indicating that, for all their genetic compatablility, this was neither the time, nor the place, for Rayek to be born and raised. Indicating that Recognition doesn't always know.

The drought was the first problem. Since it interrupted the natural ebb and flow of the village and of the family, it also interrupted Jarrah and Ingen's capability to parent and even if it didn't, even if it was just that they weren't the most fantastic parents ever, the fact is that the village, which might have otherwise picked up the slack, was in no shape to do so.

Then there was Rayek's personality. I've read the comic, more than a few times, and honestly. A more self centred brat I've seldom seen, although in a family and world where the only way to get attention is to behave badly, I'm not surprised. When else would they have time to pay attention to him?

Recognition, had it been paying attention, or capable of paying attention, might have taken the drought into account, Rayek wasn't born with waterfinding, or rockshaping abilities, he isn't a tree shaper. His powers aren't honestly all that useful in a drought situation. It's mere luck he thought to turn them to hunting, otherwise he would have BEEN one of the dirt-grubbers he hates so much.

This was going somewhere. I forget where.

Jarrah did the best she could, I'm sure, with what she had.

krwordgazer

Quote:
Kathleen

for all their genetic compatablility, this was neither the time, nor the place, for Rayek to be born and raised. Indicating that Recognition doesn't always know.

The question in my mind, Kathleen, is how long the drought had been going on when Rayek was born. I got the impression (though I don't have my books with me) that the drought more or less began when he was born. Given that elfin pregnancies are two years long, there is no way that Recognition could have "known" there was going to be a drought coming in a couple of years, when Rayek was conceived. Recognition, of course, cannot be technically described as able to "know" anything, since it's not a sentient being-- but the elves' bodies would be affected by the drought in such a way that the genetic urge would probably be turned off during the drought.

The only difficulty with this theory is that when Leetah was born, the drought ended right around the time of her birth. Meaning that Recognition came to Toorah and Suntoucher two years before the drought ended-- which ought not to have happened.

Kathleen

In any disaster, or directly there after, it is imperative that an animal population repopulate it's self, correct? Maybe they were just reaching a low point and it was a just in case thing, preparing for possible deaths.

manga

I quote:

Quote:
Wendy's Script

"When I was born, they say, Child Moon stood for a short time between the Daystar and our village. The floods had not come in several years...and the heat had baked much of the life-giving spirit from the soil."

For whatever it's worth in this discussion. :)

Kathleen

So basically, people were dying all over the place, or at least starving and that was when Recigniyion hit?

Dude.

krwordgazer

Kathleen's right-- it does seem odd. What guarantee the child would survive? Would his mother have enough milk if she was dehydrated? Surprised I remember Krim's words when Cheipar died-- "It was the wrong time to breed. Maybe there is something to this Recognition thing after all." Or something along those lines.

Kathleen

Generally the rule is a frenzy of babyness AFTER the disaster, hence the term, "babyboom". Why right in the middle?

Minouche

Don't know: maybe due to 2years pregnancies, not even showing for the first year. So if you get pregnant during the disaster chances are the baby will be born after? That's just an idea.

manga

I will point out that while Rayek doesn't have any skills directly useful in a drought (such as weather- or plant-shaping), he is (according to Wendy) some kind of throw-back to the first, fiercer Sun Folk. So perhaps Recogition was going for someone strong enough to thrive in that kind of difficulty?

krwordgazer

Wow, Manga, that makes sense! Recognition may have been driven by the need in the Sun Folk for a genetic throw-back to help the tribe survive the drought. Since Leetah has many of the same characteristics as Rayek (particularly in their youth), and since a healing gift would also be useful in a drought, she may also have been born in response to such a need.

Good thinking! :D

Fourleafclover

:clap:

manga

*bows* Thank you, thank you. :)

When it comes to Rayek, my thinking is never bad. Twisted perhaps, but not bad. ;)

Embala

Jarrah and Ingen introducing their newborn to the tribe

and a close-up of Jarrah with her kitling

I would have loved to see Jarrah and Ingen again when Kahvi brought Venka to the Sun Village, welcoming their grandchild. But I'm afraid they were not even developed at this time! Nevertheless .. seeing them drawn be Wendy would have been neat.

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

Startear

Although, that artist was good at keeping the style of the elves.