ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Smelt-Two Edge's Father

Magic_Toenail

Talking in another thread about Smelt.

I don't think Smelt was very nice. He was going to kidnap the male Door knowing that Door was going to mutilated and tortured like the other rockshapers. That's pretty cold.

Smelt's backstory is probably very interesting though. Why was HE chosen to go find rockshapers? Did he piss off Guttlekraw? Did Guttlekraw see him as a potential rival for power and just wanted him out of the way? Did he volunteer for the job hoping for glory and reward?

Speculate Away!!!

WolfMoonSky

I don't know why, but I think he was or could be a great daddy to Two-edge. I wish we knew what his personality was.

http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/SABM/SABM06/_Siege%20at%20Blue%20Mountain%20-%206_page=15#_15,

And as I know, he was sended by Greymung to capture rockshapers. I feel sad for him, how much he was treatned and abused by Winnowill and then killed. At Two-edge had to watch it all...Maybe Smelt was the unlucky one, just soemone who just was chosen to capture them.

http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/SABM/SABM08/_Siege%20at%20Blue%20Mountain%20-%208_page=5#_5

Vojira

Quote:

And as I know, he was sended by Greymung to capture rockshapers. I feel sad for him, how much he was treatned and abused by Winnowill and then killed. At Two-edge had to watch it all...Maybe Smelt was the unlucky one, just soemone who just was chosen to capture them.
http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/SABM/SABM08/_Siege%20at%20Blue%20Mountain%20-%208_page=5#_5

BoTC 20 does says it was Greymung.

I think he was just picked at random and sent off .

Magic_Toenail

Could have sworm by the timeline it had to be Guttlekraw, but Greymung could have seen Smelt as a rival too. Smelt was probably a great smith/engineer since Two-Edge learned so much from him, and maybe Greymung was jealous.
I personally think Smelt did something to piss the king off to warrant the punishment of being sent above ground away from the saftey of the troll tunnels, either by being a better smith, or maybe trying to score with one of the king's concubines.

Olygoth

Given how vague and likely impossible that task was, I'm leaning towards the idea that Smelt was either a rival or otherwise did something to get on Greymung's bad side in order to get sent out on such a task. And given how Two-Edge mentioned that he and his father had carved out a 'secret world' for Winnowill during the Siege, he was likely a pretty danged talented troll. And given Two-Edge's devotion to him and how badly his death affected him, it can be safely said that he was a good father at least.

Something I never got though, was why after everything he had at that point, he decided to still carry out his mission for Greymung? Granted, that whole 'family' was little more then a social experiment for Winnowill to alleviate her boredom, and something was gonna give either way, but in THAT precise manner is still a bit baffling.

Magic_Toenail

perhaps interfering with the king's concubines does make sense, he was horney enough to do it with an elf.
I agree with Olygoth that Smelt probably was a good father, particularly since his son was only half troll, he could have rejected him.

Trollbabe

Quote:
Something I never got though, was why after everything he had at that point, he decided to still carry out his mission for Greymung? Granted, that whole 'family' was little more then a social experiment for Winnowill to alleviate her boredom, and something was gonna give either way, but in THAT precise manner is still a bit baffling.

This is why I wish I knew more about him. When he did discover a rockshaping elf, what made him think, "Now is the time to act"? He had a son to raise, plenty of projects to build, and (I assume) three meals a day. I have enough handymen in my family to know that a hundred years in one's own workshop would be sheer heaven.

Given a Troll's lifetime, was he not smart enough to think of a way to either bring the Trolls to Blue Mountain, or Door back to the Troll kingdom?

Was Winnowill bored, as Olygoth suggests, or was she acting as part of a higher plan? Check out my post under "Two-Edge" for a truly bizarre perspective.

Oroborus

His betrayal of Winnowill/remembering his "mission" was just an act of convenience to further the plot. They didn't need to name him at all, really, and they didn't even need to explain his discovery. He could have simply been a dying troll Winnowill found. Why the need to complicate things? Probably because there was at some point a plan to flesh out that character with a complete back-story ... but then it never happened.

Trollbabe

Maybe it is up to fans to create that back-story. What would motivate a troll to go on such a mission? Lack of other oppotunities? Something to prove? Someone needed him out of the way? Why did he forget, then remember, his mission?

Oroborus

I think the forgetting part is easy enough - if Winnowill could seduce the likes of Rayek, a troll would be child's play.

Embala

Not necessarily - she might understand much better what makes Elves "tick". Could be the reason why he remembered ...

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Oroborus

I think Winnie could eat a troll for breakfast Wink

Embala

Poor Smelt had bad luck with both - neither got a family ...

... nor made a fortune!