ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

NEW Graphic Novels - "The Complete Elfquest"

Thornbrake

The first volume of the NEW Elfquest graphic novel series from Dark Horse, called "The Complete Elfquest" will be available at the end of summer! It's going to be 720 pages and collect the entire Original Quest into one volume. AWESOME!

You can pre-order it here.

Here's the cover:

The Complete Elfquest 1

Heather

I am really looking forward to this. We are going to have to rearrange some things on our bookshelves, but hey, it'll be worth it.

Embala

*must do a screenshot and make my comic shop order it*

Stefan

Or will this be the cover? On the dark horse previews it gives this one:ElfQuest-Complete-TPv1-88e11

Anyway..it will fit nicely next to my Archive editions, readers collection and the Father tree press hb's :)

Ps, is it silly to be excited by a collection you kinda already have?

Thornbrake

OOOoooooo! I like the second cover even better! My guess is that's the one that they'll use. The first one (the remake of Fantasy Quarterly #1) I think might've just been a placeholder for previews.

I was just saying recently how the cover art for the Marvel reprints (which is what is used in the cover Stefan posted) is so great and way underutilized.

Stefan

Me too... totally poster worthy!

Stefan

eq

I wanted to post it with the brushed up version.. but couldn't. But here it is!

Thornbrake

Yeah, I was going to say, the new digital re-coloring is SOOO much better than the pixelated Marvel version.

Dewleaf

This will be nice to add to my collection, my old ones are falling apart! I wonder if they'll have hardcovered ones.

Tavie

I'll have one copy please.

krwordgazer

Does anyone know if this version is in color or black and white?

Thornbrake

@krwordgazer It'll be black and white, just like the original comics. This means it'll be affordable at $24.99 for 720 pages.

Here's the listing on Amazon.

You can preorder it.

krwordgazer

Thanks! I have a hardcover Archive version, but my daughter might like one of these new ones.

Thornbrake

Yeah, I think they went with black and white since the DC hardcover color Archive editions are still out there. But I know that Wendy and Richard have said that Dark Horse has expressed interest in doing color compilations as well.

G0lden

I gotta save some money up for this treasure, along with the Def Leppard/Kiss tickets.

Freethinker

Oh, this is very cool. Will there be a kindle version? I confess, I really love reading comics on my kindle and I'm trying not to buy anymore tree books. =-)

Thornbrake

@Freethinker me too! I haven't seen anything about it being offered digitally, but Dark Horse is really good about that, so I would guess it would be. You can also contact them directly at http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Contact/ and let them know you want it digitally.

WhitewolfStormrunner

@Stefan @Thornbrake I'm fine with either one (Amazon.com, where I pre-ordered my copy, has the first one posted on its website), as they both look great. (The second is great, too, for nostalgia reasons.)

Also, I like the idea that Dark Horse is doing this volume (and hopefully any others that come down the pike (pardon the pun, Pike my elf)) in the original black and white. It'll be interesting to see what the quality of the art on the pages will be.

Can't wait til August!

Freethinker

@Thornbrake

I took your suggestion and wrote them! Hopefully they will offer a Kindle version! =-)

Mkal

I ordered mine!

Songchaser

Yay! I ordered mine, too! I'm excited about the black and white - I've mostly just read the FTP graphic novels, so I've only ever seen maybe one or two issues in B&W. Def prefer it to subpar coloring!

Thornbrake

Looks like The Complete Elfquest VOLUME 2 is now available on Amazon for pre-order!!!

This book will collect together for the first time the Siege at Blue Mountain and Kings of the Broken Wheel storylines into one 522 page graphic novel. It will be black and white, just like the original comics, and therefore very affordable at $24.99 (cheaper now if you pre-order it).

AYOOOOAHH!!!!

Here's the cover:

Complete Elfquest Vol 2

RichardPini

WhitewolfStormrunner said: It'll be interesting to see what the quality of the art on the pages will be.

It is stunningly crisp and clean. Dark Horse's production team has taken the high-res scans of Wendy's original art and rendered it masterfully.

Stefan

Richard, i was wondering, is there a release date for the two artbooks yet?

lunakat

Yay! The quality of coloring has varied among the different publications- but the line art is always great. Consistently beautiful drawings. I'm so thrilled to have the chance to buy these books!

RichardPini

Stefan said: Richard, i was wondering, is there a release date for the two artbooks yet?

Not yet. We're still putting the bookmaps together, and the process got happily more complicated when it was decided that each book should have 300 rather than 200 pages.

LadyUsako

I have already preorderes my copy of the complete ElfQuest.... can't wait for it to come :-)

It was actually cheaper to preordered directly and pay shipping, than order it from someone back here....

Stefan

Thanks Richard, Looking forward to both of them. Gives me more time to set aside some cash ;) (i feared they would be out in the same month as the Gallery edition)

PCoquelin

Wonders I, for one, preordered, already...

Tavie

RichardPini said: the process got happily more complicated when it was decided that each book should have 300 rather than 200 pages.

@-) =))

Thornbrake

Tavie said:

Tavie (and Pike) said it best!! AYOOOOAH MORE EQ GOODNESS!

Thornbrake

It's HERE! The awesomely huge "The Complete Elfquest Volume 1" is now available from Dark Horse Comics. If you've ever wanted the Original Quest collected in one book, this is it, displayed in the original, crisp black and white (which means it's SUPER AFFORDABLE).

You can order a hard copy or Kindle version from Amazon right here.

Night_Tanem

December needs to be here sooner...

Thornbrake

Night_Tanem said: December needs to be here sooner...

Why December?

Tam

Christmas?

Thornbrake

Aaaaahhhhh. Yes, this will make a great gift. Either to give to to receive! :-*

Night_Tanem

@Tam and @Thornbrake I don't know how it is in other countries but we get extra pay in December. It would be a great gift but I wouldn't count on receiving it if I don't get it myself =))

Thornbrake

Depends on your employer and what industry you're in in the U.S. Not everyone gets holiday bonuses.

The good news is that these books are ridiculously cheap. It's only $24.99 for 720 pages! If you order on Amazon it's even less, and the Kindle edition is only $12.99.

Embala

My comioc shop promised to order and reserve it for me.

lunakat

My boyfriend just got this for me- as a surprise gift- and I love it! I am so happy!

It's really gorgeous. Honestly- this is the first truly classy reprint of the original quest. The color styles changed so much from printing to printing- graphic novel to graphic novel- I had thought there was a shift in the quality of the art as well. But seeing it in black and white- I realize that Wendy's art is consistent from Book 1 through to the final page of Book 4. All the linework and detail is just wonderful. It's really lovely. I'm so happy to have this. And I'm so glad they are printing Books 5-8 together as well in the next release.

I can't wait to give this to my little cousin for her birthday. I'm definitely handing these out as gifts. They are perfect.

Night_Tanem

@Thornbrake I know it's not expensive at all, unfortunately I have a tight budget so I'll have to wait a little longer, it will make it that more exciting to finally get them ;)

WolfCandy

@Night_Tanem, it's a little cheaper on TFAW right now, though not by much ($22.49). I have a $5 off code that I would be happy to give to you as I have nothing to use it on. Really that wouldn't make it much cheaper though, and shipping would still cost :(

Night_Tanem

@WolfCandy you are too nice :D still I don't mind paying full price, it's worth it. I'm still in an unfinished house so it might be safer to wait if you know what I mean.

lunakat

The price is very reasonable, I think.

WolfCandy

@Night_Tanem, haha, yeah... but unfinished houses are still exciting :D

Xiu

This is something I plan to get my local library to try and purchase; They used to have the entire series of individual comics (in their original book form, I only have book 3 of the original questline)

Night_Tanem

@WolfCandy after five years one could have enough of it =))

WolfCandy

@Night_Tanem, oh /: Yeah, that's not as fun :(

Night_Tanem

Five more years and I'll be posting pics of colorful finished rooms ;)

WolfCandy

lol

Llannen

Going to start dropping hints all over for my birthday in a month. Or I may pull one of my dad's fave moves. Going and getting my own gift a week before my bday. If I can wait even that long.

Mkal

Photo on 2014-08-13 at 17.35

RichardPini

We just learned of a lovely review of the new book here in School Library Journal! That's about as good as it gets in this particular market, which for Elfquest is a very important one.

stargazer

Mine's in the mail! Woohoo!

Tehaar

I saw volume one at the Finnish "Fantasy Games" store the other day. Glad to see it's loyal to the original story. I didn't like the pocket books that were released a few years back where the story went in "chronological order" and there were filler pages, comics drawn by some other folks than Wendy Pini and so on. Glad to see that oldschool is back, even though I prefer to read thinner albums. :)

Thornbrake

I have officially dubbed this book "The Elfquest Bible: the Old Testament." It's about as big and heavy as a bible!

Stefan

Ok, now that makes me want to go to church..

I loved the 'making of' bit at the end.. I do love those sketches.
I wonder why the marvel covers are used instead of the Original Q covers.

TrollHammer

This is cool, but as mentioned above a proper digital copy would be great. At my job I have long hours of sitting and waiting, but dirty and rough at times which ruins books (OK for ereaders though) and no internet access. I've said before that if the digital online versions were available on dvdrom or for download I would pay money to have it.

Right now I need to catch up on the new stuff though...can backissues still be had?

Thornbrake

@Trollhammer, ask and you shall receive. There is a Kindle version of The Complete Elfquest available on August 27. That means you can read it on your Kindle, or on your tablet or smartphone via the Kindle app. This is the first time ever the Original Quest (or anything other than the Final Quest) is available in this format.

Order it here (it's only $12.49!).

Tam

There's also a Nook version. :)

Shuki

Hey guys I'm new here and just received my copy of the Complete Elfquest Volume 1! I wanted to add that the price in unbelievable and the printing quality looks stunning. There's only one problem and that is that page 405 is a repeat of page 371 meaning that the Skywise/Aroree bonding scenes are cut short with the missing page; there are a couple reviews on Amazon which also mention this. That said, as a decade plus fan I will still cherish the book and want to thank the Pinis a million times over for creating such an amazing story.

Mkal

Thornbrake said: I have officially dubbed this book "The Elfquest Bible: the Old Testament." It's about as big and heavy as a bible!

Wolfriders: Chapter 2, Panel 6:

"And Behold! Skywise does not flinch from the piercing brilliance of the stars..."

Mkal

"and it was good..."

jorenm93

How many graphic novels are they going to publish? Will there be a reprint of Shards and Hidden Years too?

Thornbrake

jorenm93 said: How many graphic novels are they going to publish? Will there be a reprint of Shards and Hidden Years too?

That's entirely dependent on how many people buy the earlier stories. If volume one and volume two of the Complete Elfquest sell well, there will likely be more volumes collecting later stories. If they don't, probably not.

lunakat

I'm just going to photocopy that page down and paste it in there. I can't give a messed up gift. If it's going to be messed up- it will be because my pasting skills are sloppy... not cause a page was reprinted

lunakat

Can this be fixed for future printings?

RichardPini

lunakat said: Can this be fixed for future printings?

Dark Horse is working on this even as I type these words...

Embala

lunakat said: I'm just going to photocopy that page down and paste it in there.
Basically what I'll do as well.

Unfortunately new readers might not have a proper source to take a copy. Would it help to offer it as a file that can be downloaded and printed?

lunakat

RichardPini said: Dark Horse is working on this even as I type these words...

Awesome! I'm going to wait for the fix- then buy this for my niece. It's really gorgeous and consistent in the black and white. I love it!

Thornbrake

MAJOR NEWS! For the first time ever, the entire Original Quest is available digitally via Dark Horse Comics´╗┐ digital comics app!!!! The Complete Elfquest is now available for download. This what fans have been clamoring for for YEARS.

You can order it here - and it's even cheaper than the printed book!