ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Funny Furry Faces

RedheadEmber

Facefur aka. beard. We know the following:

A: Male (wolfblooded) Wolfriders get it when they reach about the age of 500

B: Some *Host* Mender *Host* doesn't like it and uses magic to avoid it

C: Moustaches don't seem to be a thing, but sideburns definitely are!

Right, @Heather, go ahead and merge in the bits from the 'Time Thread'.

RedheadEmber

Okay, I've been thinking. Decided to put it here because it has to do with time in Elfquest. More specifically: The amount of time passing before people went into wrapstuff.

In the Thorny Mountain Holt it was pretty simple:
Everyone waited approximately 500 years, then they went into wrapstuff together. (Not together together, just at the same time.)

In Sorrow's End, however, things were a lot more complicated:
There were those wounded in the Go-Back war who were put into wrapstuff to await healing. Those included Kimo, Yun, Chot, and some others (I think Dodia was one of them.)
Then there was a period in which more and more people got wrapped to avoid the hunger, but I think as soon as that problem was solved they mostly got cut free again.
At one point (either during the 'hunger period' or later, I'm not quite sure) Dart went into wrapstuff to escape the grief. Then an undisclosed (but great) amount of time later he was cut free by Serrin and recognized her. After raising Bowki into early adulthood he returned to wrapstuff.
At one point, likely during Dart's (first) period, of sleep Scouter, Dewshine, Mender and Newstar must've all gone into wrapstuff as well. However, Newstar and Mender were out while Dart was raising Bowki...

Now, I've tried to use a rather weird way to decifer how much time passed before the various people went into wrapstuff. Facefur! How many of the male wolfriders have grown facefur? (I'll ignore Mender because he's using his powers to maintain a clean shave.)

In the Thorny Mountain Holt it went from only the oldest (Treestump) to even the youngest (Cutter) having facefur. Again, things were pretty simple over there...

In Sorrow's End there were two possible 'facefur candidates'; Scouter and Dart. And this is where things get complicated!
It looks to me like Dart has facefur when he first goes into wrapstuff, which of course would imply that, put together with the fact that the Battle - according to the Timeline - took place between 200 and 400 years since Disappearance, about 100 to 300 years has passed since that, there's also a caption that states that the Wolfriders sleep at this point. However, it's also implied that it happened shortly after the smoke after the erruption clean away, and surely that didn't take even a 100 years!
To complicate matters even more Scouter clearly doesn't have facefur as late as the end of the 'Shards' arc, despite the fact that he's older than Dart. Are we to believe that Scouter actually went into wrapstuff before Dart? (Or is this simply a matter of having to be vary about trusting the New Blood timeline too much?)
In the Final Quest both Scouter and Dart have facefur, so maybe it's simply a matter of the age difference between them being so insignificant and simply getting facefur at an earlier age than Scouter did.

(And this post turned out to be a lot longer than I thought it would!)

Embala

To make things even more complicated (or much simpler) consider that facefur is grown approximately after 500 years. I figure it's just like with human boys - it can vary individually. And what's some years for a Human can be decades or a century or more for a Wlfrider.

Bearclaw was a throwback, with more wolfblood than an average Wolfrider. He was seen with facefur pretty sson in his life. Dart COULD be like him - an early bloomer ^^ (not so unexpected considering his parents).

Scouter COULD be the opposite - less wolfblood or simply a predisposition to grow facefur late. Makes me wonder again about his father - One-Eye was without facefur, too. Was he really so much younger than the other elders?

RedheadEmber

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured as well... the age difference between Scouter and Dart isn't that big, less than 10 years. I think for humans it would be like one guy getting a beard at the age of 17, and another not until he was 19.

Rob

DARK MANSECRET: some guys just don't really have facial hair. Could be the same with them.

RedheadEmber

You saying that those sideburns Scouter seem to have in Final Quest are really just a result of him combing his hair forward in a weird way?

Thornbrake

Rob said: DARK MANSECRET: some guys just don't really have facial hair. Could be the same with them.

lol so true. But Scouter definitely has facefur the first time we see him after the long sleep, in Hidden Years #4. It's not as woolly as Dart's but then Dart was in and out of wrapstuff for long periods.

Scouter Facefur

Mkal

@Thornbrake Yes, I thought they were with the Go-Backs for a few weeks to heal and to strengthen themselves up to go to war.

Heather

We also have elves who obviously do things for vanity sake, like Mender. His face fur should be in by now, but it is possible he is using his healing powers to keep it from coming in.
Also, the reason the Wolfriders even have face fur is due to the fact that they have wolf blood. So it would stand to reason, some of them have a bit more than others.

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: lol so true. But Scouter definitely has facefur the first time we see him after the long sleep, in Hidden Years #4. It's not as woolly as Dart's but then Dart was in and out of wrapstuff for long periods.

Oh. I was sure he didn't have it when recognizing Tyleet... So I guess he was just going through the weird patchy phase at that point.

@Heather: I'm pretty sure it stated somewhere that he does indeed do that!

Leanan

...now I'm imagining Scouter with a moustache...

MrsGrizzley

Ahhhh for the days when we wondered if female Wolfriders got their "fur" grown in... elsewhere...

*chuckle*

And why not moustaches? A good moustache can be damn impressive... All in favor of an elder with a handlebar moustache?? Do I see any hands??

Tavie

The typo in this subject line tickles me.

So, on the subject of facefur, the prevalence of muttonchops is funny because I think Elfquest elves are the only people on whom muttonchops look remotely attractive (DO NOT TELL MY HIPSTER BOYFRIEND THIS)

MrsGrizzley

*chokes and falls over from laughing*

Gah... gotta love the elfin muttonchops...

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: Oh. I was sure he didn't have it when recognizing Tyleet...

Nope, his muttonchop facefur was there when he Recognized Tyleet. It was just beginning to come in though, just like we saw it in Hidden Years #4.

Scouter Facefur 2

Thornbrake

I'm with @MrsGrizzley, mustaches are hot. But they have to be on the right face and the right style for that face. Only Bearclaw and more recently, Strongbow have any indication of 'staches.

Thornbrake

A stache like this could work. Zac Efron is pretty elfy looking.

Tavie

Thornbrake said: A stache like this could work. Zac Efron is pretty elfy looking.

See, I think the moustache is fine in the first picture, because of the accompanying chin-hair, but something about the second picture just bugs me.

Maybe because my dad has always had "just a 'stache"... so I automatically find it unsexy.

Heather

My dad grew a mustache when I was about 5. There is a picture of me hiding my face in his shoulder so I couldn't be seen in the picture with him. I remember telling him I wouldn't kiss him anymore because of it and he wasn't my real daddy because "my real daddy doesn't have a mustache." I hated that thing. He shaved it off. I still don't like them on most men ;)

Thornbrake

Let us not forget the mustachioed elf that @Mkal uses as his avatar.

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/profile/59712/Mkal

Mkal

@Thornbrake And I have drawn one for you, also...
Gotta ink and color, but I took the basics from your avatar.

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-24 at 11.27.01 PM

Mkal

will send you the finished one soon.

Thornbrake

WOW. I love it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Embala

Looks great!

Thornbrake

@Mkal you know I'm checking every half hour to see if you've posted the colored version? Lol

RedheadEmber

Hmm... could you imagine Someone styling his face-fur?
Like, using animal fat (or something) to get a stache like this:

Leanan

Embala said: To make things even more complicated (or much simpler) consider that facefur is grown approximately after 500 years. I figure it's just like with human boys - it can vary individually. And what's some years for a Human can be decades or a century or more for a Wlfrider.

Bearclaw was a throwback, with more wolfblood than an average Wolfrider. He was seen with facefur pretty sson in his life. Dart COULD be like him - an early bloomer ^^ (not so unexpected considering his parents).

Scouter COULD be the opposite - less wolfblood or simply a predisposition to grow facefur late. Makes me wonder again about his father - One-Eye was without facefur, too. Was he really so much younger than the other elders?

This makes sense to me. I mean, Timmorn was BORN with face- and everything- fur. So the less wolf blood, less likelihood to get facefur early. But like human genetics, it would be a lot complicated of course.

Leanan

...and now I'm wondering if Rahnee the She-Wolf had hairy legs...

Mkal

@Thornbrake HAHA

Mkal

Thornbrake_COLORS

Rob

Nice work, man!

Rob

I fixed the thread title typo. I'd fallen in love with it, but it needed that extra "r"

Mkal

@Rob Thanks.

RedheadEmber

Oh, thanks @Rob. Was kinda wondering about the spelling...

Thornbrake

@Mkal I added the colored piece to my profile. Thanks again!!!

Tavie

Thornbrake said: @Mkal I added the colored piece to my profile. Thanks again!!!

Looks great, @MKal! So lovely. I have my "self-elf" in my profile but it's nowhere near the level of your work.

Embala

Good job, Mkal! :)

Mkal

Thanks, guys. I do love to draw and am glad that it brings joy. @Thornbrake: he is yours do do with as you will. My gift to you.

Freethinker

Wow, nice piece of art and what a fun topic for a thread. =-)

Mkal

@Tavie Thanks. Been drawing for a long time. Doing stuff like this is good practice for me. :)